Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1066
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
It cuts off right before the link, for me, actually.
Oh, eek! Okay, sorry.

It should work here hopefully.

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #1067
berryinDC
Disney fan 4ever

I have to say, this thread is so amazing. Thank you! My wife is a vegetarian and I'm a lactose intolerant omnivore. I just finished reading the whole thing and now I'm really excited about our trip in May. Our first trip was our honeymoon a few years ago and while we had some great meals (Tusker House, Jiko) we also had some sad and disappointing CS food.

This time, we're staying at AKL, and I'm trying to decide between Boma and Jiko for dinner on our night in. Any recommendations? Is Boma still a good bet for vegetarians or have they cut the options in the post-Chef TJ era? We'll be eating at Tusker House for lunch that day and I'm a little nervous about a dinner at Boma feeling like too much food for the day. Or suffering in comparison to Tusker House. However, we had such an amazing (and romantic) meal at Jiko last time that I'm not sure we could top it. Plus, maybe it would be nice to try something new?
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #1068
LisaS
DIS Veteran

We love Boma but I wouldn't do Boma and Tusker House on the same day. We tend to overeat at buffets so that would be too much food. We usually do a light dinner on the day we do lunch at Tusker House. If you are going to be dining in at AKL that night and want to try something new, how about Sanaa? You could order a few small things to share. If you want to go back to Jiko but want to eat a light meal you could each order an appetizer and split an entree.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #1069
berryinDC
Disney fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
We love Boma but I wouldn't do Boma and Tusker House on the same day. We tend to overeat at buffets so that would be too much food.
Yeah, I was worried about that. We'll probably eat lunch at Sanaa on our first day, since it's the only TS lunch option at AKL. I think I'm leaning towards Jiko.

Maybe we'll do Boma for breakfast another day.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #1070
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Has anyone been able to order the sandwiches during lunch at BOG without meat? (Fingers crossed)

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #1071
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
Has anyone been able to order the sandwiches during lunch at BOG without meat? (Fingers crossed)
I will probably be eating there for lunch during my trip next week. I will be sure to report back. Im not too sure how its going to work with the different ordering process its supposed to have.

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
rani8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #1072
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani8600

I will probably be eating there for lunch during my trip next week. I will be sure to report back. Im not too sure how its going to work with the different ordering process its supposed to have.
I'll be (im)patiently waiting LOL!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1073
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Sorry to ask instead of search...what's good and tasty at Via Napoli for an ovo-lacto-veggie? Is a cheese, or cheese and veggie, pizza there worth it? Anything else? Thanks!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #1074
Sehsun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Sorry to ask instead of search...what's good and tasty at Via Napoli for an ovo-lacto-veggie? Is a cheese, or cheese and veggie, pizza there worth it? Anything else? Thanks!
I've only been to Via Napoli once so far, but I had the Ortolano signature pie - tomato, mozzarella, and vegetables (per AllEars.Net). It was pretty good.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #1075
KJay
DIS Veteran

As much as I love vegetables, I think the zucchini and even the mushrooms detract from that pizza! That picture above- look at the delicious crust, the perfect blend of sauce and cheese- for me, leave off the veggies... classic Margherita is the way to go! I admit, I'm a bit of a pizza snob- grew up in a place known for its amazing pizza, and have lived the last 15 years in a place...not...known for its pizza. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect pie, and for me, Via Napoli comes as close as most will likely get. De-lish .
Old 12-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #1076
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the picture, sehsun! And thanks for the info about how good it is, KJay!

That picture just made me hungry.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #1077
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Has anyone been to Be Our Guest yet? I'm wondering about the quinoa salad, and whether it is vegan and gluten-free? I'd love to see the new restaurant, but I'm not sure it is worthwhile if I can't eat there.

We'll be there in less than 2 weeks and I will surely report back to this thread about dining as a gluten-free vegan. But I'd appreciate a head's up about BOG.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #1078
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I previously posted a picture of my special-request egg and chips from the Rose and Crown, so here are the rest of my vegetarian entreé pictures from 11/27 - 12/3. We had a free Quick-Service Dining plan, so most of these are off-the-rack counter service vegetarian options.

Cheesecake in a Glass, Safari Amber, and Vegetable Sub(osaurus) from Restaurantosaurus. The sandwich was good, if a wee bit dry. A touch of extra mayo did the trick.

Tonga Toast at the Kona Café. I requested it without the sugar and meat, and they were happy to oblige. Truly scrumptious. I had strawberry compote left over, and ate it with a spoon. Too good to waste!

Orange Chik'n and red velvet cupcake at Sunshine Seasons. Delectable. Sunshine Seasons never disappoints.

Vegetable sandwich, fries, and gelato at Cosmic Ray's. I think this sandwich would be better hot, but I can see why that isn't practical at a high-capacity quick service location like this.

Veggie burger at Pecos Bill's. Second-best on the property, and they had hot ones all ready.

Vegetable flatbread at the Electric Umbrella. Decent fast-food pizza quality. Had to wait a few extra minutes because they didn't have any veggie ones made. Same deal as Cosmic Ray's - I can understand it's not practical to keep them ready when most people order the meat ones.

Veggie burger at Rosie's All-American. BEST on the property. Good fries, too.

Not pictured due to forgotten or poor-quality pictures:

Veggie burger at Pop Century food court (Probably wouldn't order again.)
Colony Salad w/o chicken at Liberty Tree Tavern (Heavenly! Pass the Craisins, please!)
Vegetarian platter at Tangierine Café (Delicious and filling.)
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #1079
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We were at Be Our Guest for lunch a few weeks ago. The guy helping with the ordering process said NO changes could be made at all. Not sure if that is true or if he was just overwhelmed with the huge crowd that never seemed to stop there. My sister got the quinoa salad, she seemed to like it but not love it. I heard it was vegan, I hope so, if not don't tell her otherwise now.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #1080
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Orange Chik'n and red velvet cupcake at Sunshine Seasons. Delectable. Sunshine Seasons never disappoints.
Whoa, what? There's chik'n on their menu? The regular posted menu? (at what station? I was overwhelmed and CONFUSED by those stations the first, er second, er EVERY time we have been there, so please do tell)

Oh gosh we will be there every day, LOL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: