Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #901
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I see that the Rose & Crown has changed their menu. The curried vegetable dish is gone, replaced by: Has anyone tried this and if so, what was it exactly and how was it?
I'm not sure if this is the same dish re-named, but about a year and a half ago I had a vegetarian shepards pie at Rose & Crown, and it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (especially with the potato & leek soup as an appetizer...yum!), a pleasant surprise. I am vegetarian though, not vegan, so while I'm sure they could make it vegan (I think I saw a review a while back), I'm not sure how it compares.

Basically it was a pot pie, with the filler sauce a cross between gravy and a cream of mushroom soup - really delicious. Then there were veggies, although I'm having a hard time remembering which ones...I want to say mushrooms, carrots, peas, maybe broccoli? And a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese on top. I could have done without the cheese - it wasn't bad at all, I just didn't think it added much to the dish. It was also served with a side of mixed greens.
everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #902
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingALICE View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same dish re-named, but about a year and a half ago I had a vegetarian shepards pie at Rose & Crown, and it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (especially with the potato & leek soup as an appetizer...yum!), a pleasant surprise. I am vegetarian though, not vegan, so while I'm sure they could make it vegan (I think I saw a review a while back), I'm not sure how it compares.

Basically it was a pot pie, with the filler sauce a cross between gravy and a cream of mushroom soup - really delicious. Then there were veggies, although I'm having a hard time remembering which ones...I want to say mushrooms, carrots, peas, maybe broccoli? And a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese on top. I could have done without the cheese - it wasn't bad at all, I just didn't think it added much to the dish. It was also served with a side of mixed greens.
I have also had the vegetarian shepherd's pie and liked it a lot. The new menu item sounds similar so at first I thought they brought it back but just changed the name for some reason.

The Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie was described as "Creamy Mushroom-Vegetable Ragout topped with Mashed Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese served with Mixed Greens and Roasted Portobello Mushroom $14.99"

The new Vegetable Pie 'n' Mash is described as "with seasonal vegetables, mushrooms, potatoes, and cheddar cheese $14.99"

My DH said that based on the name "Pie 'n' Mash" he thinks it's something different and that I should try to find out for sure what this is and whether anyone likes it before booking an ADR there. Unfortunately for me, DH said he has no interest in eating there unless I can find out for sure what this is.
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #903
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I think I read somewhere that the new thing is more like quiche then shepherd's pie.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #904
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Oh, good to know! I have been thinking about going back, based almost solely on that shepard's pie (it was just THAT good!), thinking that they just changed the name. Sorry my response was unhelpful - I'd love to hear if someone has tried this as well.
everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #905
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Just read on the Disney Food Blog that there will be a entirely vegan food booth at the F&W Festival this year!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #906
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Just read on the Disney Food Blog that there will be a entirely vegan food booth at the F&W Festival this year!

Incredibly Wonderful! Last year was what? . . .Bunny Chow and desserts? A little bonus for this fall's trip!
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #907
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name View Post
If the chef makes something off menu for you is it still included on the dining plan?

For those who choose not to do the dining plan how is the price decided?

Do you feel the dining plan is worth it for vegetarians/vegans?
To answer your questions:

Yes.
Usually they charge the same as whatever the other veg entree was (usually).
Vegetarian yes, vegan, not really, but it depends where and how you eat.

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #908
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Wow! That's cool! I'm at F&W this year so I'll have to check them out.

I'm a strict veggie rather than a vegan (in that I do dairy but no fish as some veggies do, and I rarely touch egg) but I never say no to a nice bit of vegan food.

Oh, as an aside, can anyone give me the low down on Tokyo Dining for someone who doesn't eat fish?

My partner and I are really into sushi now as our local chain (Yo Sushi) does a mountain load of stuff that is at least veggie (and a good portion is vegan I think, but don't hold me to it) but the menu for Tokyo Dining seems a lot more fish-centric.

Though saying that they have Miso so I'll be happy!

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #909
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I haven't eaten there, but my vegan son who LOVES sushi says Tokyo Dining is great for vegans and he tries to eat there on every visit.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #910
disneyfav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFanJen View Post
Wow! That's cool! I'm at F&W this year so I'll have to check them out.

I'm a strict veggie rather than a vegan (in that I do dairy but no fish as some veggies do, and I rarely touch egg) but I never say no to a nice bit of vegan food.

Oh, as an aside, can anyone give me the low down on Tokyo Dining for someone who doesn't eat fish?

My partner and I are really into sushi now as our local chain (Yo Sushi) does a mountain load of stuff that is at least veggie (and a good portion is vegan I think, but don't hold me to it) but the menu for Tokyo Dining seems a lot more fish-centric.

Though saying that they have Miso so I'll be happy!
I tried Tokyo Dining last year, and love the tempura there! Just make sure you ask for regular soy sauce, since the dipping sauce the tempura usually comes with has fish powder in it. The miso soup there also has fish powder or something in it. I also really love the seaweed salad there.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #911
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert

Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!

Hey everyone! Has anyone tried the new vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs at Prime time? Wondering if they are vegan and if they are good. I really liked that couscous dish with the veggies minus cheese.Oh well, I make it at home anyways. We're going up for Star Wars weekends, and I always find Studios to be the most frustrating park to get food at. I just want to make a reservation somewhere so we can get into the air conditioning!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #912
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Haven't been here in a while but I thought I'd pop in and let you all know that there is a very exciting post on the Disney Parks Blog today about changes to the Food and Wine Festival.

There is now a TERRA Marketplace which will be offering up some vegan options! Hooray! One of them include a faux chicken curry dish with basmati race and CASHEW CHEESE. Cashew cheese! I love me some cashew cheese.
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #913
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert

Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...t-2/#more-8379

Big HOLLAAAAA out to Josh at Easywdw for posting this . From the looks of his report, it seems like AOA will be our new value hotel destination. Babycakes at the hotel ready to buy? Awesome! (Does carribean beach do this? I'm staying there next weekend!) There seems to be so so sooo many vegetarian/vegan options here! Thank you Disney!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #914
disneyfav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...t-2/#more-8379

Big HOLLAAAAA out to Josh at Easywdw for posting this . From the looks of his report, it seems like AOA will be our new value hotel destination. Babycakes at the hotel ready to buy? Awesome! (Does carribean beach do this? I'm staying there next weekend!) There seems to be so so sooo many vegetarian/vegan options here! Thank you Disney!
I read somewhere that this is the only place Babycakes is available other then DTD.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #915
AndiSlamberg
Mouseketeer

I am so glad to find so many other vegetarians and Vegans here!!! You guys have posted some great information! The last time I went to Disney was years ago and I wasn't a veggie at that point, I've been so nervous about going back and finding it hard to eat, but now I'm pretty excited to try some of the things you guys have recommended. So thank you!
AndiSlamberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: