Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #871
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
Vegetarian but not vegan. Here's the ingredient list from the recipe on allearsnet.
Recipe
Breakfast Potato Casserole
Restaurant Akershus
Norway - Epcot

Ingredients

1 ½ lbs Diced Potatoes
1 ½ lbs Shredded Potatoes
4 ounces Diced White Onions
8 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
(Reserve half for topping later)
8 ounces Shredded Jarlsberg Cheese
13 ounces Béchamel Sauce
8 ounces Sour Cream
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
5 ounces Milk

Teresa
Thanks for the heads up and the recipe! I appreciate it.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #872
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmom97 View Post
Oh no, he's not at Ohana?? I rearranged my dining schedule thinking he would be there. Good thing I can't make ADR's until July LOL. Thanks for posting this.
Happy to help! I will mention though that the vegetarian dish that was prepared for me in September was quite good. Probably no where near the special dish Chef TJ would/could make, but still good! I was absolutely stuffed before leaving the restaurant.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #873
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to mention that I ate at Grand Floridian Cafe in September, and I was served something totally different than what was described above. The chefs came to our table (I was, ironically, the easiest to feed due to friends' multiple food allergies) and explained that although they had no dedicated vegetarian dish on the menu, what they could do is make a series of small plates. (IIRC, it was a collection of accompaniments from elsewhere on the menu.) I thought I had uploaded it somewhere, I will either find it or upload it again to link here later tonight. I can't recall all of them, but I CAN recall being mad that I was too full to finish it all, it was very good. I think one was a rice pilaf, another a mashed-potato style dish, the third asparagus and fourth... ??? Hopefully I'll remember when I look at the pic.

In any event, I would feel very comfortable going there as a vegetarian, they will take good care of you.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #874
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Here's a photo of the "small plates" I was served at the GFC. Sorry for the double post, I didn't want to edit this many hours after!

CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #875
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Thanks for posting the pic from GFC. Looks good! Still debating about whether to go there or not in October.

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #876
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

solo and vegetarian at sit down/fancier places???

anyone have any experience with this?

I am planning to splurge and do platinum or premium plan for three days to celebrate. If I did this I would be eating at places like V and A, Jiko, Brown Derby, Tusker House etc.

Is it weird to eat solo at these places and to be seeking out vegetarian food?

Thanks for any tips!

~~Amy~~ Me:

WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 Leakycon DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #877
wonderalice23
Earning My Ears

My new website/project

Hello all, I'm Jenn, a new vegan and I recently started working on a pet project of mine. Before I mention it, I must thank many of the people who post their reviews on the Disboards for their trip reviews of going to WDW vegan. May will be my first of many vegan trips, and I wanted to really dive into this. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or suggestions!

http://disneygreenvegan.com/
wonderalice23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #878
Abra Cat
DIS Veteran

Hi all-- I originally posted this as its own thread, thinking it wasn't really a vegetarian-specific question, but I've gotten no replies, so maybe y'all can help me decide:

My family has been to WDW many, many, many times, but there are still restaurants we haven't tried. Our next trip is in September, and I'm having trouble deciding what WS restaurants to try. We usually split our Epcot visit into two days-- one for FW with Canada, UK, and sometimes France thrown in, and the rest of the WS for the other day.

Right now, we have reservations for a late lunch at Le Cellier on our FW day, and dinner at Akershus on our WS day (which happens to be my birthday). My daughter and I are vegetarians, and we have eaten a very good vegetarian meal at Le Cellier before. Based on online menus I've seen, I'm pretty confident we can eat well at Akershus too, although with a 14 year old daughter and 8 and 12 year old sons, we're not in it for the princesses-- just the food and atmosphere, since we've never eaten there.

That was the original plan, but now I'm second guessing myself... We've never been to Bistro de Paris, and now that it's on the dining plan, I'm wondering if we might want to eat there instead of one of the other choices. I've done some research, and it sounds like they'll probably be able to accommodate us with vegetarian meals with some notice, and my husband and sons like the looks of the regular menu. I know it's two credits-- we'd just have to drop our DHS TS ('50sPTC, which I'm "eh" about, anyway).

Also, we always eat our way around the WS, and on past trips when we've done a table service meal after eating all day, it's just SO much food. Then again, our WS day is my birthday (because that's my favorite park/part of the park), and I kinda sorta want a nice meal on my birthday.

So now my dilemma: Do we keep things as-is and do Bistro another time, or do we book Bistro and drop two of the others ('50sPTC and something)? And if we do Bistro, which one do we drop-- Akershus, where we've never been and would like to try, but will be full of little princesses; or Le Cellier, where we've been and enjoyed?

Suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

Pictures
from our December 2011 trip

Last edited by Abra Cat; 03-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Abra Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #879
Abra Cat
DIS Veteran

Uh-oh... did I kill the thread? Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abra Cat View Post
Hi all-- I originally posted this as its own thread, thinking it wasn't really a vegetarian-specific question, but I've gotten no replies, so maybe y'all can help me decide:

My family has been to WDW many, many, many times, but there are still restaurants we haven't tried. Our next trip is in September, and I'm having trouble deciding what WS restaurants to try. We usually split our Epcot visit into two days-- one for FW with Canada, UK, and sometimes France thrown in, and the rest of the WS for the other day.

Right now, we have reservations for a late lunch at Le Cellier on our FW day, and dinner at Akershus on our WS day (which happens to be my birthday). My daughter and I are vegetarians, and we have eaten a very good vegetarian meal at Le Cellier before. Based on online menus I've seen, I'm pretty confident we can eat well at Akershus too, although with a 14 year old daughter and 8 and 12 year old sons, we're not in it for the princesses-- just the food and atmosphere, since we've never eaten there.

That was the original plan, but now I'm second guessing myself... We've never been to Bistro de Paris, and now that it's on the dining plan, I'm wondering if we might want to eat there instead of one of the other choices. I've done some research, and it sounds like they'll probably be able to accommodate us with vegetarian meals with some notice, and my husband and sons like the looks of the regular menu. I know it's two credits-- we'd just have to drop our DHS TS ('50sPTC, which I'm "eh" about, anyway).

Also, we always eat our way around the WS, and on past trips when we've done a table service meal after eating all day, it's just SO much food. Then again, our WS day is my birthday (because that's my favorite park/part of the park), and I kinda sorta want a nice meal on my birthday.

So now my dilemma: Do we keep things as-is and do Bistro another time, or do we book Bistro and drop two of the others ('50sPTC and something)? And if we do Bistro, which one do we drop-- Akershus, where we've never been and would like to try, but will be full of little princesses; or Le Cellier, where we've been and enjoyed?

Suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

Pictures
from our December 2011 trip
Abra Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #880
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan100 View Post

I am planning to splurge and do platinum or premium plan for three days to celebrate. If I did this I would be eating at places like V and A, Jiko, Brown Derby, Tusker House etc.

Thanks for any tips!
I did a platinum plan last November as a solo (and vegetarian) and had a great time. V & A was excellent! They have their own vegetarian menu and the food was sooo good. I love the signature dining and the sit down restaurants.

When the CM came to make recommendations I just told them that I was vegetarian and they made recommendations. Artist Point only had gnocchi as a choice so I ordered that. I had never had gnocchi before and on my next trip
I think I'm going back there and getting it again. Oh that was good!

If you go to Jiko or Flying Fish you can ask to be seated at the chef's table. Since you are solo you might like to be up close to the action and be able to watch them do some cooking.

I had no problems being solo and vegetarian. The CMs were all very nice. Go and have a great time!
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #881
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by let'sgo View Post
I did a platinum plan last November as a solo (and vegetarian) and had a great time. V & A was excellent! They have their own vegetarian menu and the food was sooo good. I love the signature dining and the sit down restaurants.

When the CM came to make recommendations I just told them that I was vegetarian and they made recommendations. Artist Point only had gnocchi as a choice so I ordered that. I had never had gnocchi before and on my next trip
I think I'm going back there and getting it again. Oh that was good!

If you go to Jiko or Flying Fish you can ask to be seated at the chef's table. Since you are solo you might like to be up close to the action and be able to watch them do some cooking.

I had no problems being solo and vegetarian. The CMs were all very nice. Go and have a great time!

thanks

~~Amy~~ Me:

WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 Leakycon DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #882
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan100 View Post

Thanks for any tips!
I ate solo at both Jiko and Tusker House. Jiko I ate vegetarian, Tusker House I ate vegan. (I keep on switching between the two, vegan is just so hard for me to do 100%.)

Jiko has a separate vegetarian menu, which I didn't even realize until after I got home and saw it online, but it's very easy to order off the regular menu and eat vegetarian. The only change I had to make was for them to leave bacon off my salad, and they were very nice and added pomegranate seeds to it to make up for the bacon. (Which I thought was very nice. I was still paying full price for the salad, and it's always annoyed me at places like Applebees when I order a salad without the chicken, but still end up paying full price.) All the food I had there was really good, I'll have to dig up my review, but it was the salad, then my entree was a trio with a chickpea cake, something like ratatouille, and a crepe like thing with spinach and mushroom filling. Dessert was good too, but they're all almost always vegetarian anyway. (Though I really hate this new trend of adding bacon to desserts.)

Tusker House was very good as well. I was taken through the buffet with a chef, and told what was and wasn't vegan. My biggest issue here was there were no dessert options for me. I'm eating at Tusker House again this year, but since I'm back to eating just vegetarian now, (actually it's vegan at home, pescetarian when I eat out, (I feel like such a hypocrite for it though,) but you're only vegetarian too, so desserts won't be an issue, I just wish they had some vegan ones. But the food here was really good, and aside from desserts there was a ton I could eat. I especially loved the pita bread with the chutneys.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #883
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Hey all,

i just finished my trip report for the fall during the food and wine festival as a vegan. I though i would post the link hear in case anyone is interested.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post44402159

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
rani8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #884
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
I ate solo at both Jiko and Tusker House. Jiko I ate vegetarian, Tusker House I ate vegan. (I keep on switching between the two, vegan is just so hard for me to do 100%.)

Jiko has a separate vegetarian menu, which I didn't even realize until after I got home and saw it online, but it's very easy to order off the regular menu and eat vegetarian. The only change I had to make was for them to leave bacon off my salad, and they were very nice and added pomegranate seeds to it to make up for the bacon. (Which I thought was very nice. I was still paying full price for the salad, and it's always annoyed me at places like Applebees when I order a salad without the chicken, but still end up paying full price.) All the food I had there was really good, I'll have to dig up my review, but it was the salad, then my entree was a trio with a chickpea cake, something like ratatouille, and a crepe like thing with spinach and mushroom filling. Dessert was good too, but they're all almost always vegetarian anyway. (Though I really hate this new trend of adding bacon to desserts.)

Tusker House was very good as well. I was taken through the buffet with a chef, and told what was and wasn't vegan. My biggest issue here was there were no dessert options for me. I'm eating at Tusker House again this year, but since I'm back to eating just vegetarian now, (actually it's vegan at home, pescetarian when I eat out, (I feel like such a hypocrite for it though,) but you're only vegetarian too, so desserts won't be an issue, I just wish they had some vegan ones. But the food here was really good, and aside from desserts there was a ton I could eat. I especially loved the pita bread with the chutneys.
thanks...those places sound yummy!

~~Amy~~ Me:

Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #885
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
I was still paying full price for the salad, and it's always annoyed me at places like Applebees when I order a salad without the chicken, but still end up paying full price.
There is a local restaurant DH and I go to often. They have a wonderful salad with roasted veggies and for a few dollars more they will add chicken. Well they changed the menu so that the only option is the more expensive salad with chicken and you cannot order the original salad anymore. Like you I was annoyed at paying extra for nothing so I asked if they could add more of the roasted veggies and they did. At least I got something for the extra money! Next time you go to either Jiko or Applebees, maybe there is something you can ask for in place of the bacon/chicken.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: