Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #826
mgrebenc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanatic View Post
Need to make ADRs Monday. Anyone tried Flying Fish? Of course, I used to love seafood before I became vegan but now I can't have it. Are the salads or soups enough to make a meal on? (portion sizes)
DD is vegan and this is far and away her favorite place to eat. The Chef, can't remember his name , is awesome. He has come to the table all three times we've gone and spoken with her and then sent out something spectacular.
mgrebenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #827
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribevegan View Post
To sum it up, magic kingdom food is nothing special and there only about one or two places to eat in Hollywood and Epcot. I definitely recommend the Pop Century Food court...there are so many choices and the chef will make you whatever you want. Go to Babycakes early in the day and don't eat at fresh a peel. Boma is not that great, you should try to get chef tj at 1900 Park Fare if possible. Hope that helps with your planning!
I had a similar disappointment with Boma my last trip. Tusker House is where it's at for a good diverse buffet with many veg/vegan options. Sanaa at AKL is a great non-buffet table service that is worth trying though!

For Chef TJ, we stopped by 1900 the day before to confirm he'd be working during our reservation. It really didn't take much time to check, and it was TOTALLY worth it!

(Also, I personally liked the atmosphere at 1900--the characters were great. I don't care for their photo selling scheme though, even though we bought one. LOL).
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #828
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
At Kouzzina I had an assortment of side dishes and an order of the BEST hummus and pita (GF, DF). I had the beans, the sauteed greens, and the orzo. This was enough food for at least 2 meals, so I took some home to my mom's house and had it for lunch 2 days later. It was still amazing, and the best food I had all week (at Disney and my mom's).
Was it Chef Miguel at Kouzzina? He's such a nice guy and I greatly appreciated the effort he put into making me a satisfying dinner and dessert!
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #829
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
Was it Chef Miguel at Kouzzina? He's such a nice guy and I greatly appreciated the effort he put into making me a satisfying dinner and dessert!
I think so! He was so nice, and he really put my mind at ease about my dining needs and the food was just SO good!!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #830
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

We have had mixed experiences as vegetarians at the theme parks. Typically each restaurant, whether counter service or table service, has one vegetarian option available, which is usually just ok. Every now and then we are pleasantly surprised and that one option is actually good. We enjoyed getting the nachos at the Cantina de San Angel and requesting no meat on them. They were pretty tasty and we had them twice during our last trip to WDW.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #831
danijake
Vegan Cupcake Baker Extraordinaire!

Trip report!

I'm so sad that I'm back home! I had the best time in Disney World.

The chefs at Pop Century were absolutely amazing. We would ask anyone at the counter if they could please call the chef regarding allergies. When the chef arrived, we told them we were allergic to dairy & eggs, and they would talk about what options they would able to make for us. For breakfast, we had allergen-free waffles (they were delicious!!!). You could get them with potatoes, fruit and maple syrup. For dinners, we had vegetable lo-mein and pizza with tofutti cheese. The tofutti cheese isn't the best, but it's a wonderful option to have in Disney World! They also have dairy-free ice cream and made us a delicious sundae with dairy-free chocolate sauce, allergen-free cookies, and strawberries. In the snack section of Pop Century, they have Kikkoman Pearl soymilk containers, hummus, veggie sushi, cereals, fresh fruit, salads and more. Divvies cookies have been replaced throughout all the parks/resorts with a new cookie that is dairy and gluten-free, but sadly contains eggs.

Lunch & Dinner at the parks:
Via Napoli - LOVE this place. They did not have dairy-free cheese, so we ordered margherita pizza without cheese. I ordered a side salad and topped my pizza with that. It was delicious. The food is very simple, but the ingredients are amazing. Best olive oil, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. If you are not vegan/allergic to dairy, you will even have more options here. We skipped dessert, but they had raspberry sorbet that was dairy-free.

Liberty Tree Tavern - YUMM!!!!! My favorite meal came from this place. I had the quinoa & potato burger with vegan tzatziki sauce. It was absolutely delicious. This burger is only available on their lunch menu (dinner is a buffet), but I guess it's possible to request it if you called ahead of time. We skipped dessert, but they had tofutti & rice dream available. My husband had a modified version of their pasta dish. It was good, but I highly recommend the burger.

Sci-Fi Drive-In: They no longer have the tofu stir-fry, but they have a Gardenburger Malibu burger. The burger itself isn't my favorite, but the chefs have gone above and beyond to make it taste delicious. It's topped with grilled onions, balsamic coated tomatoes, cucumbers, and watercress. It comes with either sweet potato fries (yay) or cucumber salad (blah). The chef said he could also top it with tofutti cheese. Again we skipped dessert (so full!), but they had tofutti ice cream. They can make dairy-free milkshakes, sundaes and floats! My husband had a modified version of the pasta dish on the menu. It was really delicious. It reminded me of ratatouille with pasta. You can definitely tell that the chefs here have really tried hard to make some of the boring items (malibu burger, pasta & veggies) really flavorful.

Rose & Crown: The chef modified their veggie curry dish for us (he said the one on the menu contains dairy). This dish was okay, but wasn't my favorite. It was full of tons of veggies (which I loved), but the sauce was so tomato heavy, and spicy in a way I didn't like. I LOVE spicy food, but this was spiced in a sweet way with cinnamon and cloves. Kinda strange, but still good. We also ordered a side of chips with malt vinegar (LOVE!), and the chef also made us mashed potatoes (with skins and olive oil). They also had tofutti ice cream in stock.

Note your allergies when making reservations, and the chef will always come out to your table to speak with you ahead of time.

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
danijake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #832
digiMom
DIS Veteran

danijake, (Or anyone, really) I'll be at POP in less than week (yeah!). I just started eating vegan (less than a month), so I'm new to the whole thing. A little self conscious yet about asking. That kind of thing.

Anyway, what were you able to order at POP's food court? I know you mentioned some items in the post above. Any others? Anything not listed on the menu? Thanks!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #833
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiMom View Post
danijake, (Or anyone, really) I'll be at POP in less than week (yeah!). I just started eating vegan (less than a month), so I'm new to the whole thing. A little self conscious yet about asking. That kind of thing.

Anyway, what were you able to order at POP's food court? I know you mentioned some items in the post above. Any others? Anything not listed on the menu? Thanks!
When in the Pop food court, go to any counter, ask them if they can call the chef because you have an allergy. They will call one right away. I looked at all the menus ahead of time so I knew what I wanted. American counter has a veggie burger, Chinese has vegetable lo-mein, and Italian has pizza (with regular cheese). When you speak to the chef (they are all SO NICE), mention which item you'd like to have. Tell them you are allergic to dairy and eggs. They will then give you a pager and tell you to go pay for your food. Just wait until the pager goes off, and viola, vegan options! While I was there, I got waffles for breakfast on most days with a side of potatoes. You can also ask them to top the waffles with fruit like strawberries. Other options: dairy-free personal pizzas (made with tofutti cheese, which isn't the best) that can be topped with assorted veggies like peppers or broccoli. Their veggie lo-mein is really delicious too. Again, I spoke to the chef each time I ordered and mentioned dairy and egg allergies. I don't know if the regular menu items are vegan prepared as is without modifications from the chef. They also have dairy-free ice cream, but again, this requires speaking with a chef. They have tofutti chocolate and vanilla, and they can also make you a sundae with fruit, chocolate sauce, soy whipped cream and cookies.

The regular staff is completely unaware of the allergen-free options, and are basically instructed to hand you over to the chef. It seems as though they want as few people as possible involved in preparing any allergen-free food to minimize mistakes. But again, just ask for the chef. I met with Chef Karen, Chef Jesus, Chef Jose and Chef Huy. Just tell them you are allergic to dairy and eggs and are vegetarian. They will take care of you.

In the refrigerated section of the food court, they have chocolate and vanilla soy milk, strawberry/banana soy yogurt, veggie sushi, hummus, and pre-packed salads.

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #834
OneLittleSpark7
Waiting for the Lights

The vegetarian sushi available in most grab-and-go areas is really wonderful. It's quite unique, I want to say there is pickled ginger actually in the sushi? I would highly recommend it if you're looking for something quick and inexpensive. :
(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas (12) Old Key West (12) Coronado Springs (12) Pop Century (04/16/2012) Officially Rooming with Mickey! (13) All Star Music (13) Yacht Club (13) Riverside (14) Wilderness Lodge
OneLittleSpark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #835
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks danijake & OneLittleSpark7. Very helpful. I hope I can keep with this upduring the trip. I'm still learning and will probably slip up a little. I think I'll be able to avoid the "nuggets and fries" syndrome, though.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #836
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

Awesome info!

On a Disney unrelated vegan and vegetarian note, thought I would share with the other Midwesterns that VegMichigan has released the date of their "VegFest." Like last year, it will be held in Novi, MI (about 30 miles northwest of Detroit) on April 29. This is a great opportunity for thousands of veggies alike to meet, eat and shop! I had some of the best food (i.e. pina colada vegan ice cream, truffles, cupcakes, faux tuna/sausage/seitan and chickpea stew, to name a few) and interaction ever last year and can't wait to come back! (Fingers crossed John Salley and Tal Ronnen will be there again. )

coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #837
danijake

Just set up a Tumblr with my full trip report including photos!!

http://sweetavenuebakeshop.tumblr.com/

Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #838
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Talking

We are just back from a full week of dining with 2 vegans and 1 vegetarian. I detail our exploits (with pictures) here: http://theveganasana.com/eating-vega...und-the-world/

I hope it is helpful to someone!
sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #839
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxmum View Post
We are just back from a full week of dining with 2 vegans and 1 vegetarian. I detail our exploits (with pictures) here: http://theveganasana.com/eating-vega...und-the-world/

I hope it is helpful to someone!
great post!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #840
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Thanks, danijake! Are you dying to go back already? I think I might be!
sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: