Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #781
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
Has anyone been able to ge the Canyon Skillet without the meat at Whipering Canyon Cafe? Maybe get something else substituted for the meat, like pasta or something. All the sides sound good.

Btw, do you think they are worth traveling from Epcot to, and then back to POR?

We went to Whispering Canyon at WL last trip.

It's a LOUD restaurant and I wasn't that impressed with the shtick there. That being said, I love the Wildnerness Lodge and that's worth a trip just to explore.

Food-wise, we got the Quinoa Cakes, which came with a side salad edamame salsa and some fresh-made chips. We ordered a salad starter, which in hindsight I wouldn't have done--I would've ordered more chips to start because they were really good. The Quinoa Cakes were also tasty and it was nice to order something vegan right off the menu.

That being said, it wasn't a "must-do" meal. Definitely no 1900 Park Fare w/ Chef TJ or Sanaa with its amazing views.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #782
cavepig
DIS Veteran

Just back vegetarian dining on deluxe plan.

I just ate at Corral Reef and I really like the mashed potato and vegetable strudel. It had a marinara sauce on it that I liked. It was really good in my opinion.

at Le Cellier I really liked the gnocci with pumpkin/cranberries - it was really really good in my opinion.

The Sci-Fi veggie burger was dry and I didn't care for the sweet potato fries.

Garden Grills Vegetarian poleta and portabellos/zuccini/eggplant was okay.
The salad was good too just make sure they leave the bacon off.

at Tutto Italia I got the cheese stuffed pasta, can't remember the name - a little to rich for me.

at Yak - n - Yeti the fried green beans were good (especially the dipping sauce) and the vegetable lo-mein was pretty good, way tooo many green onions though.

Worst was the pasta I got at Hoop Dee Doo - the sauce was nasty. I was also offered a baked potato and steamed veggies which sounded blah too.

Tony's I got pasta primavera, which was okay but the sacue was a bit oily and too much of it - it's like a vinegarette.

Also did Cindy's breakfast, Norway breakfast, and Hollywood and vine breakfast - all good.

At all the restaurants they were good about checking on ingredients for me, I have pictures of everything if someone wants to see anything let me know.

Resorts: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Fort Wilderness Campsite, Port Orleans Riverside (aka Dixie Landings), All-Star Movies, POP Century, Art of Animation - Little Mermaid.
Run Disney: Expedition Everest Challenge May 2014

cavepig is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #783
mom2elle
Earning My Ears

Cavepig - Were you in contact with HDDR prior to arrival? When I made our ADRs there, they told me that they don't do anything special for vegetarians there, but it sounds like that is not the case. I am just wondering if I should be trying again to get something added to my ADR, or if I should just inform them when we arrive to check in.

Thanks!
mom2elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #784
cavepig
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cavepig - Were you in contact with HDDR prior to arrival? When I made our ADRs there, they told me that they don't do anything special for vegetarians there, but it sounds like that is not the case. I am just wondering if I should be trying again to get something added to my ADR, or if I should just inform them when we arrive to check in.
Yes, I called Disney DIning a week before and had them add vegetarian to my ADR and they had it noted when I checked in. When I called the lady was actually rude and said but it's a set menu, I said I know that's why I want it on my ADR, so even though she was rude she did put it down.

Resorts: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Fort Wilderness Campsite, Port Orleans Riverside (aka Dixie Landings), All-Star Movies, POP Century, Art of Animation - Little Mermaid.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #785
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavepig View Post
Yes, I called Disney DIning a week before and had them add vegetarian to my ADR and they had it noted when I checked in. When I called the lady was actually rude and said but it's a set menu, I said I know that's why I want it on my ADR, so even though she was rude she did put it down.
If you get any attitude just claim allergy. There are all kinds of allergies, and they take that stuff seriously. No one ever pressed me except to ask if it was anaphylactic and I said "no, but I do break out in a rash and it's uncomfortable."
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #786
cavepig
DIS Veteran

cake pops marshmallow ears

Oh, also one other thing is I didn't know before I got it, is the Mickey Cake pops have marshmallows for ears. It might have been posted before I just didn't know until I cut into it to eat, so of course I was disappointed to find out.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #787
cherylp3
Florida Resident

just a heads up, I was at DHS backlot today and they told me that DHS will be changing the gluten free vegan rolls from ener-g (vegan and gluten free) to Udi's rolls (which currently contain egg). Luckily the CM at backlot caught it (and found me an ener-g roll) but she said they were planning on replacing the rolls in all of dhs - the chef I spoke with at mama melrose confirmed the same thing.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #788
hthrbells
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylp3 View Post
just a heads up, I was at DHS backlot today and they told me that DHS will be changing the gluten free vegan rolls from ener-g (vegan and gluten free) to Udi's rolls (which currently contain egg). Luckily the CM at backlot caught it (and found me an ener-g roll) but she said they were planning on replacing the rolls in all of dhs - the chef I spoke with at mama melrose confirmed the same thing.
I have a friend who has a wheat allergy and she loves Udi's rolls. I on the other hand am very disappointed

hthrbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #789
danijake
Vegan Cupcake Baker Extraordinaire!

Just booked reservations at the Rose & Crown and Via Napoli. Anyone been to either recently?

Still trying to figure out where to book dinner reservations at Magic Kingdom (2 days) and Hollywood Studios. Any suggestions?

I'm vegan.

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
danijake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #790
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I was just at Rose & Crown for lunch Chef John was awesome. Via Napoli, I've only gotten the eggplant capponata (I'm not a strict vegan but it should be vegan)

Magic Kingdom - I loved the quinoa burger from Liberty tree.
I've never been to Tony's or Crystal Palace for dinner. When I went to Crystal palace for breakfast the chef had tons of allergies ( they do have quinoa )
The plaza: they may be able to get you tofu, I will give the chef did try his best but it didn't come out well.

Hollywood studios
Primetime ( I was at the bar) the chef walked me through the buffet and then I asked for additional items
Mama Melrose: they have pasta and will give you tons of vegetables
Brown derby: I usually modify their tofu dish because I don't like curry
Have not been to Sci-fi since menu change

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #791
cavepig
DIS Veteran

at Magic Kingdom at Tony's I just got here Pasta Primavera, it has feta but you could order it without that. It was penne, portabello mushrooms, artichokes, red pepper, maybe something else. The sauce was a bit much though, it was a vinegarette, but there was just too much of it and so was also a bit oily.

at Sci-Fi in Studios I just got the vegie burger, it was actually gross the mroe I think about it- I don't know what they did to it but it was dry and had a funny bbq sauce on it, the bun was dry, and I apparently don't like sweet potato fries.

at Mama Melrose a few years ago I got a flat bread, which was okay, it had cheese though so not sure if they can do that vegan for you or not.

at Hollywood & Vine at studios, it's a buffett so even if you can't find stuff on the buffett the chef can prepare you something - same with Crystal Palace at MK.

So, I guess for MK I would recommend Tonys & Crystal Palace and ST Hollywood & Vine, but I haven't been to 50's or Brown Derby.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #792
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

We had a wonderful dinner at the Rose and Crown. We asked the chef to surprise us, and he prepared a vegan shepherd's pie for me (with cauliflower mashed into the potatoes) that had an incredibly good sauce made with wine. Yum, I can still taste it! For my son and his fiancee, he prepared a completely different dish that was also delicious - he said it was a variation of something his mother used to make. I was so impressed with the effort he made.

On our MK day, we ate at 1900 Park Fare, and the chef again made us some special food. It was good but the portions were very generous - we felt badly that we couldn't eat it all!

I have had a vegan pizza at Via Napoli. It was okay, nothing very exciting, but not terrible.

The only bad meal I had on our trip was the veggie burger at Cosmic Ray's. I thought I was going to be sick after eating that.

We did the lunch with the Animal Expert at Sanaa and had an outstanding meal. I'd asked for spicy and I got it!

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #793
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijake View Post
Just booked reservations at the Rose & Crown and Via Napoli. Anyone been to either recently?

Still trying to figure out where to book dinner reservations at Magic Kingdom (2 days) and Hollywood Studios. Any suggestions?

I'm vegan.

I'm vegan and normally don't enjoy pizza much without Daiya or vegan cheese, but I have to say that I *LOVED* my cheeseless pizza at Via Napoli. The crust is SO good--they have a pretty good topping selection, so you should be able to create something good.

At DHS I like the 50s Prime Time Cafe. They have meatless meat balls and can do awesome Tofutti or Rice Dream shakes or desserts for you. Hollywood Brown Derby is okay, but it uses 2 dining credits and the curry tofu is great (except that the tofu part is so small).

At Magic Kingdom, my recommendation is to get on the monorail and go 1900 Park Fare for a Chef TJ dinner. Seriously, it ranks among the best meals I've *EVER* eaten. Totally worth it!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #794
danijake
Vegan Cupcake Baker Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
At Magic Kingdom, my recommendation is to get on the monorail and go 1900 Park Fare for a Chef TJ dinner. Seriously, it ranks among the best meals I've *EVER* eaten. Totally worth it!
I would love to have a Chef TJ meal, but I'm going to be on a budget while I'm there. I've had plenty of amazing vegan meals before, and that's not really why I'm going to Disney. I'd just like to find good meals at a decent price while I'm in the parks. In addition, my husband and I will be with my non-vegan family, and it doesn't make sense (too much wasted time) to leave the parks just for food.

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site) . WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century) . WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site) . WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century) . WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
danijake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #795
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Another vote for the Quinoa Burger at Liberty Tree for your MK day. I am not vegan (ovo-lacto veg) but it was excellent... and house-made so it's different than the rest of the veggie burgers on property. I may have had them add cheese -- I am a bit of a cheese addict, embarassingly -- but it would have been fabulous without. Be aware, though, that lunch and dinner menus are different and the burger is only on the lunch menu (dinner is family style.)

I also love the veggie sandwich at Plaza, and it's inexpensive to eat there, but it has cheese and I'm not sure how it would be cheese-less. Might not be much to the sandwich at that point.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: