Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #646
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Yes, LS15 you has it right!

By the way, I sent you a PM about getting an email contact for 1900 Park Fare & TJ. Really hoping I scheduled my ADR for a night he's working!
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #647
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

Hey! I read your blog and it is great! How did you carry that food on the plane?!
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #648
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

I am so glad that this thread is still going. Provides such a great source of info for folks about the choices at Disney

Feel free to add all your pics here, seems like a great place to see what you are loving (or not) at wdw

I promise they won't be moved
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #649
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanatic View Post
Hey! I read your blog and it is great! How did you carry that food on the plane?!
Hi Colts,

I am not sure if your message is to me, but it was in a checked bag. We did have snacks on the plane (in my bag), and they didn't say anything. However, because I have celiac and food allergies, we had a doctor's note just in case.

All of the other food was in a third piece of luggage. I even brought Almond Breeze and Ryza (in case we couldn't find milk) and those were fine.

Dayman - I emailed him again about a month ago and got no reply. I think you might be better off, in this case, calling? Do you have the 1900 Park Fare phone number? I'll PM you!

If any vegans are interested, by the way, in testing for my second cookbook (all vegan and gluten-free baking), please let me know!

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #650
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

Smile

Yep, l-15 you were right and thanks for the quick reply! That's comforting to know it can be kept in checked bags-you never know with TSA these days!! I would love to test out your book, but I am awful at baking!! Seriously, everyone loves my regular cooking, but when it comes to baking....

Good luck!
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #651
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I just got back from Disney last night, and while I had every intention of trying to eat a completely vegan diet while I was there, things didn't go exactly as planned.

My first day was Mama Melrose's with the FDP, and I didn't have anything noted on my ADRs. By the time I got to the restaurant I was starving, and the server already seemed confused by me being just on the FDP, that I just ate vegetarian, which was very easy to do there.

The next two days I did eat completely vegan, at MK, and AK. I ate at Tusker House, Sanaa, and Cosmic Ray's. I'll have more details about those meals in my dining reviews.

My day at the Studios, I had been set on the tofu at Sci-Fi, but that was gone, so I ate CS instead, though I'm pretty sure the salad I had at ABC Comissary, (which was suprisingly good,) was vegan. I had a huge downfall at DTD that night however, when instead of even eating vegetarian, I had a huge craving for something else, and ended up eating a tuna melt at Earl of Sandwich. However, if you compare it to my trip last year, when basically all I ate was seafood this trip I did eat much better.

Epcot was easy to do vegetarian. I know my breakfast was not vegan, or my dinner. My lunch at Tokyo Dining I'm not sure about, since I said vegan, and they brought me out a vegetarian menu. I had tempura, which traditionally has egg in the batter, but maybe there's was safe. At that point I'd already eaten so much dairy, and I really wanted tempura, that I just had that. Word of warning though, both the miso soup and the soy dipping sauce that comes with the tempura, both of which I would assume are safe are not vegetarian, they both contain some kind of fish powder.

My last day was vegetarian, but not vegan. I had a fantastic meal at the Wave, though it included a ton of pancakes, waffles, and pastries that I know had dairy in them. And lunch would've been vegan, but I just had to have sour cream and cheese in my burrito. Though I wasn't even aware Pop had make-your-own burritos at lunch, something really good to remember the next time I stay there.
disneyfav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #652
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

The Mouse said, "don't worry". . .

Feeling confused. . . and a little nervous.

Taking my 'first trip as a vegetarian' to WDW later next month. I've read several threads on how diners have gone about making their ADRs and or requesting vegetarian entrées. . .

Someone had offered up contacting specialdiets@disneyworld.com----which I did, earlier this week. I had listed my ADRs and had inquired how best to request a vegetarian meal----and/or if this could be noted on my ADRs.

In most cases, I think I will be ok ----having read over menus time and again. . .but there are maybe a couple I'm not sure on. . .

My concerns were alerting 'Ohana, Le Cellier (lunch---'cause I don't think I can handle THAT many mushrooms----citing their ravioli dish) and HDDR. (I think I'll be ok with Biergarten, Crystal Palace, Raglan Road, Whispering Canyon, Rose & Crown, Boma, & 50s Prime)

Anyhow. . .Disney responded and suggested I only contact HDDR----that it is BEST otherwise, simply "to let your server know".

Is the Mouse giving me sound advice?
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #653
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I can't speak to HDDR, never done that.

'Ohana should be zero problem to let them know at arrival. I am veg and my table had a number of food allergies, and they were wonderfully accomodating with all of them.

LC's dish is not the ravioli, unless it's changed in the last couple of months again -- they have a potato gnocchi. I wasn't crazy about it, but ymmv.

Carefully question at 50s PT; the chef I worked with seemed to think the tomato sauce on the veg dish was made with a stock base of some sort and used watered-down marinara instead. He may have been mistaken, but it's worth using diligence on that one.

Generally speaking, I have found it quite easy to eat vegetarian at Disney. Know the key questions to ask, easy substitutions, have an idea of what they can make/modify for you, and be willing to be flexible. Don't panic, trust the mouse!
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #654
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgplimdesign View Post
Anyhow. . .Disney responded and suggested I only contact HDDR----that it is BEST otherwise, simply "to let your server know".

Is the Mouse giving me sound advice?
The only other restaurant I would suggest contacting is Le Cellier. In general, TS restaurants are able to accommodate veggie requests no problem - but if you know that you don't want the veggie option from a particular place, I would suggest calling to make sure that the chef on duty can prepare you something different.

It's important to contact HDDR, because they will give you a few different options of veggie meals from which you can choose. Other places, like Ohana, will have a standard veggie dish they prepare for everyone.
everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #655
danijake
Vegan Cupcake Baker Extraordinaire!

Eating vegetarian in Disney is very easy. There are vegetarian-friendly meals everywhere. Vegan is much more difficult.

"When you're a kid, they tell you it's all... grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it.
But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better."

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site)
WDW Jan. 2012 (Pop Century)
WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site)
WDW Oct. 2005 (Pop Century)
WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
danijake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #656
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Just back from the World as of this morning. Dined at a few new restaurants and went back for old favorites. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.. Here's a list of restaurants we dined at this trip..

'Ohana (dinner and breakfast)
Grand Floridian Cafe (dinner)
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch)
Biergarten (dinner)
Chef Mickey's (breakfast)
Whispering Canyon (dinner)
Cape May (breakfast)
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)
Garden Grill (dinner)
T-Rex (lunch)

A few weeks ago someone reported that the veggie burgers were supposed to be changing over to a black bean burger.. We ate at Cosmic Ray's on the 16th and I can confirm they have not been switched over at this point. Overall, the food was very good and I seriously eat better at WDW than I do here in my own town. Can't wait to go back.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #657
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyJar View Post
Just back from the World as of this morning. Dined at a few new restaurants and went back for old favorites. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.. Here's a list of restaurants we dined at this trip..

'Ohana (dinner and breakfast)
Grand Floridian Cafe (dinner)
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch)
Biergarten (dinner)
Chef Mickey's (breakfast)
Whispering Canyon (dinner)
Cape May (breakfast)
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)
Garden Grill (dinner)
T-Rex (lunch)

A few weeks ago someone reported that the veggie burgers were supposed to be changing over to a black bean burger.. We ate at Cosmic Ray's on the 16th and I can confirm they have not been switched over at this point. Overall, the food was very good and I seriously eat better at WDW than I do here in my own town. Can't wait to go back.
Are you vegan or vegetarian? I'd love to know what you were able to have at Liberty Tree Tavern and Via Napoli if you're vegan.

"When you're a kid, they tell you it's all... grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it.
But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better."

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site)
WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site)
WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #658
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijake View Post
Are you vegan or vegetarian? I'd love to know what you were able to have at Liberty Tree Tavern and Via Napoli if you're vegan.
I am a vegetarian, but I do eat vegan from time to time. I was told that the eggplant at Via Napoli can be prepared vegan, but to ask to speak to a chef prior to ordering. Also the server at LTT stated that the vegetarian pot pie at LTT was vegan.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #659
danijake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyJar View Post
I am a vegetarian, but I do eat vegan from time to time. I was told that the eggplant at Via Napoli can be prepared vegan, but to ask to speak to a chef prior to ordering. Also the server at LTT stated that the vegetarian pot pie at LTT was vegan.
Great to know, thanks!!

DL Sept. 2013 (Off-Site)
WDW Dec. 2008 (Off-Site)
WDW Nov. 1990 (Off-Site)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #660
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

Thank you both to EverythingALICE & CarrieR! I appreciate your responses and advice. Good info on Le Cellier and 50s Prime Time. Glad to hear 'Ohana is easily do-able upon arrival.
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: