Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #526
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

We have a group of 7 going in January, including 3 vegans. This is what I have for ADRs right now, but I'm considering 2 things.

1 - switch Rose and Crown to Via Napoli (italian)
2 - bag Rainforest and do an early dinner (4:30) at Boma

1/7 - arrival - Downtown Disney? and dinner O'Hana 7:00
1/8 Epcot (9 a.m. - 9 p.m.) - lunch Rose and Crown 2:10
1/9 MK (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.) - lunch Liberty Tree Tavern 1:45
1/10 Hollywood Studios (9 a.m. - 7 p.m.) - lunch 50s Prime Time 12:35, dinner 1900s Park Fare 7:30
1/11 Off day
1/12 Animal Kingdom (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.), lunch Rainforest Cafe 1:45, Magic Kingdom? (to 8 p.m.), Epcot (to 9 p.m.)
1/13 Magic Kingdom/Epcot - no ADR

Would take any vegan thoughts on the above!
sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #527
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxmum View Post
We have a group of 7 going in January, including 3 vegans. This is what I have for ADRs right now, but I'm considering 2 things.

1 - switch Rose and Crown to Via Napoli (italian)
2 - bag Rainforest and do an early dinner (4:30) at Boma

1/7 - arrival - Downtown Disney? and dinner O'Hana 7:00
1/8 Epcot (9 a.m. - 9 p.m.) - lunch Rose and Crown 2:10
1/9 MK (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.) - lunch Liberty Tree Tavern 1:45
1/10 Hollywood Studios (9 a.m. - 7 p.m.) - lunch 50s Prime Time 12:35, dinner 1900s Park Fare 7:30
1/11 Off day
1/12 Animal Kingdom (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.), lunch Rainforest Cafe 1:45, Magic Kingdom? (to 8 p.m.), Epcot (to 9 p.m.)
1/13 Magic Kingdom/Epcot - no ADR

Would take any vegan thoughts on the above!

I think you'd have a blast at Boma, so I would definitely recommend ditching Rainforest Cafe in favor of it. Most places can be pretty accommodating to vegans as long as you give them a heads up so I think you'll enjoy pretty much all of the restaurants here. Liberty Tree Tavern had a pretty good bean dish at lunch, but it's not vegan. They might be able to do something about that though? It had a biscuit on top of it, and I am assuming milk, eggs and butter went into making it.
My favorite spot for vegan food in Epcot is actually Sunshine Seasons. There's a good variety there and it's a quick service...probably my favorite quick service in all of the parks! The Kakigori Stand in Epcot has been renamed to Kabuki cafe and now has miso soup (check to make sure it isn't a fish based soup first though), edamame and the shaved ice (which is awesome!).
O'Hana should be no problem. They do a hummus and chip type thing for an appetizer now, and their tofu and rice dish wasn't too bad (I thought it was a little bit sweet, but the tofu was cooked really well). They will tell you what you can and can't eat while you're there as long as you tell them you're vegan. I like the 50s Prime Time Diner, though I think their main entree for vegetarians has cheese (and lots of it) on it. They can probably veganize it, though. Have fun and good luck!
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #528
Kairi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
Liberty Tree Tavern had a pretty good bean dish at lunch, but it's not vegan. They might be able to do something about that though? It had a biscuit on top of it, and I am assuming milk, eggs and butter went into making it.
Actually, the Pot Pie at Liberty is surprisingly vegan. I had it a few months ago at Liberty Tree and make it at home as well. The Herbed Biscuit Topping is made with rice milk and canola and olive oil in place of the typical dairy and eggs. The recipe is in the newest Disney cookbook and is specifically marked vegan. It is super yummy, but come hungry...the portion is massive.

Kairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #529
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Kairi,
Good to know! Thanks so much
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #530
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I'd switch your rainforest cafe to tusker house - Also I'm vegan and gluten free and have never had problems at Rose and crown, they are excellent.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #531
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Cheryl,
I've been trying for Tusker House, but haven't been able to get one there. For now, I've switched the Rainforest to an early dinner at Boma and we'll see. Good to know about Rose and Crown! I think I might prefer to eat there (atmosphere-wise) over Via, though my kids do love pizza. What is the R&C vegan dish in your experience?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #532
sixxmum
Mouseketeer

Just added a breakfast at Crystal Palace for that last morning. I have no idea what they will have vegan, but I'm sure it will be fine. Somebody stop me!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #533
cherylp3
Florida Resident

depends I've gotten breaded tofu and I've gotten salad type dishes but not your average salad. I think I may have pictures. I'll try and find them

Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #534
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
Actually, the Pot Pie at Liberty is surprisingly vegan. I had it a few months ago at Liberty Tree and make it at home as well. The Herbed Biscuit Topping is made with rice milk and canola and olive oil in place of the typical dairy and eggs. The recipe is in the newest Disney cookbook and is specifically marked vegan. It is super yummy, but come hungry...the portion is massive.
OMG you made my night! Thank you for this info! I am shocked that it's vegan, would've thought it wasn't...and yes, it's extremely filling (but super delicious.)
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #535
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Meat substitutes

I'm just curious if anyone has ever had any meat substitutes at WDW restaurants beyond a veggie burger or tofu.

Don't get me wrong, I like both if they're prepared right, but when traveling recently to Los Angeles I was amazed at the wide selection of incredibly delicious entrees and appetizers being served using Gardein meat substitutes.

Now that those are becoming more and more widespread in US supermarkets (along with Tofurky and Boca products), I'm surprised that more restaurants aren't following the trend--especially since they're easily swapped into other meals already on the menu.

Since Tofutti and Rice Dream are already on the desert menu at most all WDW restaurants, I wonder if more meat substitutes (or maybe even soy cheese/Daiya) might follow at some point?
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #536
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymanX View Post
I'm just curious if anyone has ever had any meat substitutes at WDW restaurants beyond a veggie burger or tofu.
I've asked at a couple of restaurants why they don't have veggie breakfast sausage. The answer I got was a shrug and some comments about how the restaurants have no control over what food is served at WDW. Not very encouraging...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #537
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I've asked at a couple of restaurants why they don't have veggie breakfast sausage. The answer I got was a shrug and some comments about how the restaurants have no control over what food is served at WDW. Not very encouraging...
Hmm... maybe it's worth writing some letters or emails?

With the Tofutti and Rice Dream, it makes me think we might see soy cheese first, since lactose intolerance is more on their radar.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #538
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I believe there is follow your heart cheese, if I recall vegansatori has written about getting it.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #539
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if Sci-Fi can make a veggie burger? I know it's not listed on their menu, but was wondering if anyone has had one there.

Also, the rest of my family wants to go to Whispering Canyon. There is no vegetarian option listed on their menu for dinner at all. We will be on the DDP so I can't just order a side salad. For lunch the have a quinoa cake that's offered. Anyone know if I'd be able to get that for dinner? Or is there another option?

I didn't list anything special on my ADRs since I'm not allergic to anything and generally am happy with their vegetarian option on the menu, but now I'm wondering if I should call and have it listed for these 2 restaurants just to give them a heads up.
packofjedis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #540
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by packofjedis View Post
Does anyone know if Sci-Fi can make a veggie burger? I know it's not listed on their menu, but was wondering if anyone has had one there.

Also, the rest of my family wants to go to Whispering Canyon. There is no vegetarian option listed on their menu for dinner at all. We will be on the DDP so I can't just order a side salad. For lunch the have a quinoa cake that's offered. Anyone know if I'd be able to get that for dinner? Or is there another option?

I didn't list anything special on my ADRs since I'm not allergic to anything and generally am happy with their vegetarian option on the menu, but now I'm wondering if I should call and have it listed for these 2 restaurants just to give them a heads up.
I've found that the ADR people usually tell me to tell my server at the restaurant.

I've eaten at both places when I was a vegetarian (before going vegan).

I think they gave me a veggie burger that wasn't on the menu when I was at Sci-Fi. I think they also had pasta at the time.

At Whispering Canyon they made me a veggie dish, and it was okay. At most restaurants, my advice is to be semi-specific with what you like and how you like it cooked--and also try to talk to the chef to see what his ideas are.

My worst experiences have been steamed vegetables, bland pasta, or a veggie burger. But more often than not, the chefs do something that surprises me in a good way.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: