Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #511
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

You can definately call the restaurants, although you don't
For the CS spots. Just ask for a manager and let them know your vegan (say the word allergy to the person at the counter if the look at you like you have 5 heads. Every once in a while someone doesn't understand, but they know what allergy means and will prompt them to get a manager or chef).

The CS spots are easy as long as they have vega usable food.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #512
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I wanted to reply to a couple of things that I hadn't'seen addressed --

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan100 View Post
At DHS- veg sand at Starring Rolls
Unless someone knows differently, and they have it in the back but not in the case, they no longer have the veg sandwich at Starring Rolls. That was far and above my favorite DHS CS (maybe my favorite CS at all of Disney,) so that makes me horribly upset. The only sandwiches they have are turkey and roast beef (?) Also, the frosting for the cupcakes merely says 'shortening' in the allergy book. I know there's been debate about whether it was veg shortening or animal lard. I read 'shortening,' my brain went 'veg' and I ate the cupcake -- it was excellent! -- but then I went after the fact, "You know, it didn't say veg shortening..."

I'm ovo-lacto as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
We'll probably also need some help with our day at Hollywood Studios. Please feel free to recommend stuff nearby; we'll almost surely be driving to and between the parks that day.

My initial instinct was to consider Sci-Fi for lunch. I haven't eaten at Sci-Fi in a long time, since the old burger-and-fries days, so more recent experiences would be good input.
We did dinner at Sci-Fi in May and then 50's PT in July... I infinitely preferred the Sci-Fi dish. I am allergic to mango, so the tofu/veggie dish was out. I was able to order the shrimp pasta dish, subbing tofu for shrimp. The server said it was the first time he could recall someone doing that, and he'd been there 16 years! I did not verify the sauce being veg specifically, so you might want to do that -- but I also do not recall feeling ill afterwards. (My concern would be chicken stock in the sauce, or similar.)

Our server was GREAT and took all of our allergies/dietary restrictions in stride.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #513
lemonsours
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
SPEAKING OF PHOTOS....

I started a veggie/vegan photo thread. Link is in my siggie.

I love photo threads... and though I LOVE the regular photo thread.... there was too much meat for my taste
Looks like this thread got merged back in with the regular food thread again. I'm so disappointed--it was so nice to be able to see the veg/vegan food options without having to scroll through pages and pages of meat pictures.
October 2007 CSR

lemonsours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #514
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

Does anybody know what the vegetarian option is on the DDP for dinner at Whispering Canyon?

I've seen someone got a skillet minus meat. Otherwise, the only thing I see for an entree would be the chicken vegetable pasta minus the chicken. Was wondering if there was another option in case I'm not in the mood for pasta.

Thanks!
packofjedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #515
Chaitali
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsours View Post
Looks like this thread got merged back in with the regular food thread again. I'm so disappointed--it was so nice to be able to see the veg/vegan food options without having to scroll through pages and pages of meat pictures.
That sucks I guess that this would be the best place to continue posting photos if they're going to keep merging those threads together? Oh well. Here's a photo of my veggie enchiladas at La Hacienda de San Angel.

Veggie enchiladas by Chaita_1, on Flickr

And my margarita flight

Margaritas! by Chaita_1, on Flickr
Chaitali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #516
tmm09
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
You can definately call the restaurants, although you don't
For the CS spots. Just ask for a manager and let them know your vegan (say the word allergy to the person at the counter if the look at you like you have 5 heads. Every once in a while someone doesn't understand, but they know what allergy means and will prompt them to get a manager or chef).

The CS spots are easy as long as they have vega usable food.
Thank you!
tmm09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #517
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Weird, I KNOW I replied recently about the thread merging...and it seems that quite a few of my other recent posts are missing as well. Huh. Those margaritas look amazing! Thanks for posting that pic...I plan on getting that next month when I'm there.
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #518
MamaPotts
Mouseketeer

Li-sa, I'd switch out that breakfast reservation at Hollywood & Vine (which is really nothing terribly special unless your tweens are intent on seeing Playhouse Disney characters), and head to Kouzzina instead for breakfast. Kouzzina has some truly lovely options. You can take the Friendship boats from DHS over to the Boardwalk (or even walk).

MamaPotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #519
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPotts View Post
Li-sa, I'd switch out that breakfast reservation at Hollywood & Vine (which is really nothing terribly special unless your tweens are intent on seeing Playhouse Disney characters), and head to Kouzzina instead for breakfast. Kouzzina has some truly lovely options. You can take the Friendship boats from DHS over to the Boardwalk (or even walk).
Thanks for that...wasn't too sure about H&V but the kids love a buffet breakfast (not those characters though.) I've looked at Kouzzina menu and not too keen on it as dd1 and I don't like eggs. Any other suggestions for TS veggie (not vegan) breakfasts not too far from the studios?

Please visit my blog: We Don't Eat Anything With a Face
Li-sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #520
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Angry

I figured the picture post would get merged. The one I initially created got merged too.
After missing Chef TJ last year at Ohana when he moved to 1900 Park Fair, I got to have dinner tonight made by him. I'm absolutely stuffed and it was incredible. It was so much food. I'm hoping to update my live vegan restaurant report tomorrow evening.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #521
cherylp3
Florida Resident

An exciting note: BabycakesNYC at DTD can now be requested as a dessert item for special orders

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #522
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Don't know if you all saw this on the Disney Parks blog:

We’ve received fantastic news from the Rhino Fund Uganda. A white rhino named Nande, born here at Disney’s Animal Kingdom 12 years ago, gave birth June 4 to a healthy female calf at the Ziwa Sanctuary in Uganda. The baby, named Malaika (“angel” in Swahili), is the first female white rhino born in Uganda in more than 30 years. Malaika is Nande’s second calf. Her first, a male, was born in 2009.

Nande is one of two white rhinos born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom that traveled to Africa in 2006 as part of the first-ever reintroduction of white rhinos from the United States to Uganda. She was accompanied by Hasani, a male, and joined four other white rhinos at the Ziwa Sanctuary to help re-establish a white rhino population that has been extinct in Uganda since 1982 as a casualty of civil unrest in the region.

Disney’s commitment to conservation and rhinos goes beyond this first-ever rhino transfer. Guests can see both white and black rhinos on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Research has shown that when people see wildlife face-to-face, they feel a strong connection and are motivated to take action to protect wildlife and nature. The Walt Disney Company Foundation and the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund have supported more than $940,000 in rhino protection and research projects in partnership with non-profit organizations throughout the world. And Disney’s Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). With its more than 200 accredited members, AZA is a leader in global wildlife conservation and a link to helping animals in their native habitats.

We are proud to contribute to the sustainability of this critical species and are deeply appreciative of the great care that Nande has received from the Rhino Fund Uganda team, who are closely monitoring her and her baby.

On the blog there is also a lovely photo of the mother and baby together.

I know, this is not about food - but it is about something good Disney is doing to help animals.

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #523
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Question about FD as a vegan

As a vegan who has visited WDW twice and is going back again this fall, I love this thread!

We've been looking at the dining plans, and my question is whether or not special vegan orders work within the structure of that? Do the desserts on the plan cover the Tofutti/Rice Dream most restaurants seem to stock?

Almost every meal I had at a TS restaurant was custom made on my last trip (outside of Boma). I think the price going OOP vs DDP might be roughly the same (given the relatively low charge I was given each meal), but my wife is mostly vegetarian (eats seafood), so if a promo is offered it'd still be savings.

Any advice is appreciated!
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #524
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Yes, if they make you a special vegan meal it will be covered by the dining plan, and any vegan desserts they give you count as well. I have never encountered a problem doing this.

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #525
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike

This was inspiring to read. Thanks for sharing!

I'm also really glad that people are still actively using this thread! I've been away from Disboards for a while, but was pleasantly surprised upon checking the boards again to see so many people helping each other to find great meat free and vegan meals at Disney World.

Since moving to California I've been to Disneyland quite a few times. If anybody is interested in where to get some great vegan food out here let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
Don't know if you all saw this on the Disney Parks blog:

We’ve received fantastic news from the Rhino Fund Uganda. A white rhino named Nande, born here at Disney’s Animal Kingdom 12 years ago, gave birth June 4 to a healthy female calf at the Ziwa Sanctuary in Uganda. The baby, named Malaika (“angel” in Swahili), is the first female white rhino born in Uganda in more than 30 years. Malaika is Nande’s second calf. Her first, a male, was born in 2009.

Nande is one of two white rhinos born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom that traveled to Africa in 2006 as part of the first-ever reintroduction of white rhinos from the United States to Uganda. She was accompanied by Hasani, a male, and joined four other white rhinos at the Ziwa Sanctuary to help re-establish a white rhino population that has been extinct in Uganda since 1982 as a casualty of civil unrest in the region.

Disney’s commitment to conservation and rhinos goes beyond this first-ever rhino transfer. Guests can see both white and black rhinos on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Research has shown that when people see wildlife face-to-face, they feel a strong connection and are motivated to take action to protect wildlife and nature. The Walt Disney Company Foundation and the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund have supported more than $940,000 in rhino protection and research projects in partnership with non-profit organizations throughout the world. And Disney’s Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). With its more than 200 accredited members, AZA is a leader in global wildlife conservation and a link to helping animals in their native habitats.

We are proud to contribute to the sustainability of this critical species and are deeply appreciative of the great care that Nande has received from the Rhino Fund Uganda team, who are closely monitoring her and her baby.

On the blog there is also a lovely photo of the mother and baby together.

I know, this is not about food - but it is about something good Disney is doing to help animals.

Teresa

DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Plasticletters is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: