Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #496
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
I've had mixed experiences at Raglan Road - sometimes the food has been very good, other times not so good. (I'm vegan.) But it's been good enough times that I'd definitely go again.
I'm a bit concerned, though, by this, because we'd essentially be going out of our way to go to RR, rather than just eating there as part of a deliberate visit to DD. Hmmm....

Quote:
We've had very good experiences at Kouzzina. Our approach was to just say "here's what we can eat, surprise us with something good" and we all got different but very tasty dishes. (This was in Feb of this year.)
We used to do that at Spoodles, especially when Marianne Hummel was in charge. The fact that that still works well is encouraging to me.

Quote:
Sci-Fi made us a stir-fried veggie and tofu dish when we ate there about two years ago. It was okay but nothing exciting. I find HS a tricky location for meals as a vegan. The best I've had there was at Brown Derby but of course it's pretty expensive (and would be too much food to then follow up with a dinner at Artist's Point.)
The latter a much bigger consideration for us than the former, given that we have TiW... the discount "gives back" twice: Once is the obvious effect, it's a discount! But when something costs more, and you get 20% back on even that incremental amount, it's the gift that keeps on giving!

But yeah, two Signature meals in the same day, even though it means only two Signature entrees (split at each meal) may be too much.

Quote:
I've never tried Artist's Point and now I'm thinking of giving it a shot on our next trip
You gottagottagotta! It's very surprising to me that it has continued to be consistently incredible even with changes in the executive chef. Either they've just had insane luck, picking chefs that resonate well with the tradition of excellence there, or the departing chef and arriving chef have consistently worked well with each other to not only turn over the restaurant, but also its tradition of excellence.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #497
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

So just checking in - Did anyone have any thing they wanted me to check on while I'm at Disney? We leave Thursday. We will be at Universal (both parks), Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, Blizzard Beach, DIsney Quest and of course all 4 Disney theme parks.

Can't wait to see if my lead pans out for an over the top possible vegan treat. I'm really hoping it's right, but we shall see. What I read was old, so it may be wrong. This item can definately be made vegan if it were using the right recipe.......so keep your fingers crossed.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #498
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Can you find out if TJ is still at 1900 Park Fare? We have a group of six going in November and we're meeting next weekend to make our plans - so it would be good to know if we should add that to the list (I will be adding Artist's Point thanks to bicker's advice!)

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #499
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more

Quote:
Can you find out if TJ is still at 1900 Park Fare? We have a group of six going in November and we're meeting next weekend to make our plans - so it would be good to know if we should add that to the list (I will be adding Artist's Point thanks to bicker's advice!)

Teresa
Yep - I have plans on eating there for my birthday dinner. I need to call over there and let them know I'm coming. I'll probably do that this afternoon or tomorrow.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #500
hthrbells
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
So just checking in - Did anyone have any thing they wanted me to check on while I'm at Disney? We leave Thursday. We will be at Universal (both parks), Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, Blizzard Beach, DIsney Quest and of course all 4 Disney theme parks.

Can't wait to see if my lead pans out for an over the top possible vegan treat. I'm really hoping it's right, but we shall see. What I read was old, so it may be wrong. This item can definately be made vegan if it were using the right recipe.......so keep your fingers crossed.
I am dying to know your lead on a vegan treat!!!
Have a fantastic time!! I cant wait to read all about it!! Tips and counter service suggestions will be most welcomed!! Thanks!!

hthrbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #501
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Hi,

Not sure if you're vegan due to ethical or dietary issues.
If it's ethical issues please read this (if not, feel free to ignore!): http://www.wdcs.org/stop/captivity/index.php

I won't be visiting Sea World.

Please visit my blog: We Don't Eat Anything With a Face
Li-sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #502
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-sa View Post
Hi,

Not sure if you're vegan due to ethical or dietary issues.
If it's ethical issues please read this (if not, feel free to ignore!): http://www.wdcs.org/stop/captivity/index.php

I won't be visiting Sea World.
Thanks Lisa - I am vegan for ethical issues, and the dietary issues are a wonderful benefit. I do know all about the issues of animals in captivity and it doesn't just happen at SW. Technically, even Disney has animals in captivity and there will be groups who say Vegans shouldn't go to Disney or AK. My family would go to SW with our without me. I don't think making a stand and saying I'm going to sit in the hotel room will stop the abuse today, and I know each person makes a dent and that each person who eats as a vegetarian or a vegan makes a difference. Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles. My family already thinks I'm wacky, lol.

I can't force my family to eat this way (trust me I try, lol) and my husband is just as head strong as me. He would seriously say, oh well we are going. I suppose I could take a stand and sit in the room by myself. Then I'd be cheating myself out of a day with my family. I do the best that I can and veganism is a continual work in progress. There is always room for improvement and I strive and work towards that. I'm not perfect, and as in all things I strive to be a better person and put the lives of animals above my want of food and things. Hopefully someday I will have the courage to make this stand, but at this point this isn't something I have worked into my life. All of this is much harder when you don't have a family with your same set of core values. My hubby gets free tickets to a Busch Theme Park each year with the military. I did try to talk him into going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg this summer, but he loves SW and that is where he wants to go.

Last year my family wanted to go have wings at Hooters while we were in Orlando. There is absolutely nothing there I can eat, so in that instance I did go have dinner by myself while they went to eat at Hooters. So I do make a stand sometimes.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #503
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks Lisa - I am vegan for ethical issues, and the dietary issues are a wonderful benefit. I do know all about the issues of animals in captivity and it doesn't just happen at SW. Technically, even Disney has animals in captivity and there will be groups who say Vegans shouldn't go to Disney or AK. My family would go to SW with our without me. I don't think making a stand and saying I'm going to sit in the hotel room will stop the abuse today, and I know each person makes a dent and that each person who eats as a vegetarian or a vegan makes a difference. Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles. My family already thinks I'm wacky, lol.

I can't force my family to eat this way (trust me I try, lol) and my husband is just as head strong as me. He would seriously say, oh well we are going. I suppose I could take a stand and sit in the room by myself. Then I'd be cheating myself out of a day with my family. I do the best that I can and veganism is a continual work in progress. There is always room for improvement and I strive and work towards that. I'm not perfect, and as in all things I strive to be a better person and put the lives of animals above my want of food and things. Hopefully someday I will have the courage to make this stand, but at this point this isn't something I have worked into my life. All of this is much harder when you don't have a family with your same set of core values. My hubby gets free tickets to a Busch Theme Park each year with the military. I did try to talk him into going to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg this summer, but he loves SW and that is where he wants to go.

Last year my family wanted to go have wings at Hooters while we were in Orlando. There is absolutely nothing there I can eat, so in that instance I did go have dinner by myself while they went to eat at Hooters. So I do make a stand sometimes.
Hi Melanie,

Sorry, wasn't having a go at you, but I can't bear to see whales and dolphins in captivity (I blame Free Willy!). It's taken some soul-searching and a couple of posts here, before deciding to visit AK (I won't go to zoos in the UK as they are very sad places to visit imho).

My kids and I are veggie but dh is an omni, so I do understand that you have to balance family values.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #504
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Veggie dining on DDP

Can anyone take a look at my TS ADRs and see if I've misssed anywhere we should really eat at (going for 14 nights, so hoping i have my dining credits worked out correctly)?

We are 1 veggie adult (me) 2 veggie tween girls and 1 omni dh!

Crystal Palace Lunch
Tusker House Lunch
Via Napoli Dinner
Hollywood Vine Breakfast
Hacienda Dinner
Park Fayre Dinner
WPC Dinner
Crystal Breakfast
Tutto Italia Dinner
Mama Melrose Lunch
Boma Dinner
Jiko Dinner
Raglan Road Lunch

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #505
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I feel okay about going to Animal Kingdom because (for an article I wrote) I was able to meet with a number of the people who work with the animals and the man who designed the animal section of the park, and have a real backstage tour with him. I do share your concerns about animals in captivity, but I think Disney has made a real effort to provide the animals with the things they need, with enrichment activities, and to care for them without any force or coercion. Jane Goodall once said that if she was a wild animal, she'd like to live in AK. Also, Disney does not take animals out of the wild, they started the park with animals born in zoos. They were even able to move some of their rhinos to a preserve in Africa to help build numbers there. They are also breeding some other endangered species backstage (not ever seen by visitors) to replenish stocks in the wild.

The manatees and many of the other animals in the Living Seas are rescued due to being injured or sick in the wild, and they are cared for and returned to the ocean once they are healthy again (if that's possible - the manatee Lou was injured so severely that a team of vets has determined that it wouldn't be safe for him to return to the wild. But most go back.) Disney then monitors them for a year or so to be sure they are doing well. One manatee who struggled to re-adapt to the wild was brought back to Epcot three times, but eventually was able to go back to the ocean and is doing well. They take the time to train them in preparation for their return to the ocean.

During the Gulf oil spill, Disney took hundreds of ill and injured turtles and other sea animals for care and treatment; I believe all have now been released back into the wild.

The people at Disney I talked to were very aware of the concerns about animals in captivity, and worked very hard to give the animals as natural and happy a life as possible. They also pointed out that people care more about animals they have gotten to know, so they hope there is educational value to the park. Disney is also involved in conservation efforts around the world and in conducting research to improve the care of animals. For example, Disney has rescued many injured sea turtles, and the vets have developed treatments to help the shells heal more quickly and effectively. These treatments have been published and shared with vets around the world.

I feel much better going to AK now!

Teresa
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #506
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-sa View Post
Can anyone take a look at my TS ADRs and see if I've misssed anywhere we should really eat at (going for 14 nights, so hoping i have my dining credits worked out correctly)?

We are 1 veggie adult (me) 2 veggie tween girls and 1 omni dh!

Crystal Palace Lunch
Tusker House Lunch
Via Napoli Dinner
Hollywood Vine Breakfast
Hacienda Dinner
Park Fayre Dinner
WPC Dinner
Crystal Breakfast
Tutto Italia Dinner
Mama Melrose Lunch
Boma Dinner
Jiko Dinner
Raglan Road Lunch
If you like Indian food at all, you might want to try Sanaa - it's become one of our favourites. They have a vegan menu. The food is very mildly spiced; we always ask them to make it spicier when we go.

Teresa
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #507
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Hi Teresa,

It was your reply and article that made me feel ok about AK.
It's the performing bit of seaworld I really object to as I don't feel animals should be made to perform for our entertainment.

We love Indian food, so I'll take another look at the Sanaa menu...is it 1 or 2 DDP credits per meal? Might swap for Jiko or Boma.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #508
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Sanaa is just one credit!

Teresa
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #509
Li-sa
Mouseketeer

Thanks Teresa, have swapped our Jiko meal for one at Sanaa and saved a TS credit to use elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #510
tmm09
Earning My Ears

Hi All.

I've been watching this thread for some time...I've only been vegan since Feb. and I'm still learning!

I am taking my first Disney trip as a vegan in August and I have a few questions.

Do you call the restaurants in advance of coming in? What about CS? How far in advance do you call them?

Thanks for your help!
tmm09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: