Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #481
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Anyone know where TJ is now?

I'm seriously in love with TJ. He made me (and my vegan family!) some amazing meals when he was at Boma, then we followed him to Ohanas and I had the BEST birthday meal of my whole life. Really, the best. Seven amazing vegan courses.

Anyway, we are now planning another trip for this November and I of course want to eat at any restaurant where TJ is cooking. I think I had heard he was at 1900 Park Fare. Does anyone know? Is there a number I can call to find out?

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #482
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingALICE View Post
Has anyone here been to the Spirit of Aloha Luau? I've already made an ADR since my friend is interested in going, and I'll definitely call closer to the date as far as making a veggie request (noted "other" allergy when making the ADR). Just curious as to what the vegetarian offering might be. Thanks!
http://vegandisneyworld.blogspot.com...-may-2011.html

Here is the one I knew I recently read.

Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show

Like always, our first dinner of the trip was at the Luau. It’s a nice way to begin a vacation. Nothing new to report here on the food front. Still a delicious salad with mango dressing and a heaping plate of grilled tofu with couscous and grilled veggies. Chef Eugene is a sweet man, and has been there for years. He’s always happy to do whatever he can, and this meal is pretty much perfect as is.

As full as I was from all my afternoon treats, I passed on dessert, but the server told me “we’re proud of our fruit” and brought me a small plate of cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, grapes and pineapple. I also got a couple packs of Divvies chocolate chip cookies to take back to the room.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #483
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
I'm seriously in love with TJ. He made me (and my vegan family!) some amazing meals when he was at Boma, then we followed him to Ohanas and I had the BEST birthday meal of my whole life. Really, the best. Seven amazing vegan courses.

Anyway, we are now planning another trip for this November and I of course want to eat at any restaurant where TJ is cooking. I think I had heard he was at 1900 Park Fare. Does anyone know? Is there a number I can call to find out?

Teresa
Hi Teresa,

I've heard he has Friday and Saturday nights off, but I'd call to find out. I've made a reservation there for a Wednesday night in about 3 weeks. I need to also call. I know you can call Disney Operator and they will transfer you over to the restaurant's phone line with information on how to leave them a message for special dining requests.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #484
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more

I'll be at Disney in 2 weeks from today. Anyone have anything they want me to find out while I'm there? We are going to be doing Universal Studios/IOA, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center, Blizzard Beach and of course MK, Epcot, DHS & AK. Oh - and I know that I'll spend tons of time going to DTD the whole tip because my daughter and I adore Earl of Sandwich (plus I've got to check out Babycakes and Fresh Appeal). Let me know if you have anything specific that your wanting know about vegan/vegetarian dining or snacks and I'll do my best to get the answer.

I have a pretty big lead on something totally spectacular that might be vegan. It's something that I just happened upon in my searching the internet. The source was old, but they still serve this item. I've never heard anyone mention it other than this, but I even found an online recipe and it was vegan (not sure if someone made up the recipe or it was given by Disney). This item could definately be made vegan with the right recipe, and in terms of what it is, really it should be vegan. I'm not good at secrets, so I really am on the fence about mentioning it now, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. This is something I adored in my non vegan days and it's a sweet treat. Keep your fingers crossed, I'm super excited about this prospect.

Like last year, I plan on starting a live report. I couldn't keep up with the report once we got to Disney due to the late nights and doing the report on my I-phone (do you know how hard it is to type and add pictures from a cell phone, lol). But - it was still fun and I got to talk to everyone even if I was just checking the thread in the parks while watiting in line.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #485
itsalebeau
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Teresa
We went to 1900 Park Fare on 6/26 (Sunday) and he was there. He showed me what was vegan at the buffet (a couple breads, a couple salads, a soup), and then proceeded to bring us more food than we could ever hope to eat.

We had a huge salad with apple, avocado, spicy fried garbanzo, pistachio, walnuts...other stuff too. Really good! He made us an appetizer of spring rolls and house made potato chips with a hummus with capers and roasted red peppers.

Then we got our towering platter of goodness - asparagus, carrots, tofu, potato, bok choy, tiny sweet onions (at first I thought they were raisins). Each veggie was cooked differently, so it all had a different taste - sweet and spicy and grilled. On top were those crispy white noodles he loves to put on things! It was amazing. We were getting really full, when he came out because whoops! He forgot our sushi! My kids (6 and 9) loved it. My 9 year old wants him to make us every meal!!

Just when we were full to bursting, he brought out the dessert - huge chunks of pineapple with skewers in them. On the skewers were bananas, strawberries, scoops of chocolate soy ice cream with divvies cookies smushed on them. He drizzled it all with chocolate syrup at the table.

On his way back to the kitchen Anastasia stole his syrup and poured a TON in her mouth and threatened her mother and sister with it. Lady Tremaine couldn't stop laughing...she had to leave the dining room to compose herself. Chef TJ was quite the enabler though... he brought out two more bottles of syrup, and gave Drusilla some whipped cream. It was hysterical.

This was our last night at WDW and it was AMAZING.
itsalebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #486
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I searched but don't see anything in this thread about Bistro de Paris. Has any vegetarian (who reads this thread) eaten there? Their menu doesn't show anything DW (my vegetarian of choice) will enjoy eating.

DW will eat some sea food when it is cooked thoroughly but I can't see spending the money for Bistro de Paris and ask her to eat sea food.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #487
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Thanks so much MelanieC for linking the review!! I'm very excited to go now.

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #488
itsalebeau
Mouseketeer

We also walked up to the Rose and Crown without a lunch ADR and I asked about vegan food. She asked the chef, and he was totally accommodating and friendly and made us a big plate of roasted red potatoes with rainbow carrots, two kinds of tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, etc. I was honestly disappointed that we were getting a plate of veggies, but they were really really tasty and well cooked, seasoned, etc. Even my kids ate it! So that was awesome.

We had a waiter at Kona that was friendly but arrogant, like he knew what vegan meant and could make us anything, then offered us bread with honey butter. I didn't really trust him, and he didn't want to bother the chef with a non-life threatening allergy, though later said he'd bring him out if we wanted and I felt like if I said I wanted the chef then it would be a huge slight on his intelligence/manhood/whatever. It was...awkward. In hindsight I should have asked for the chef, but it was our first TS meal of the trip and I felt weird about it. He gave us the noodles on the menu with tofu. They were good!

The waitress at The Wave was AWESOME and checked everything out for us, and we had something off the menu but slightly altered that was really really good. And she gave the kids what they could eat on the Mickey plate, which he didn't do at Kona (and he gave my kids a really really hot plate with the noodles. Thanks!). Anyway, she was great about dessert and just everything.

Our chef in the morning at POFQ made us vegan Mickey waffles and assured us the potatoes were cooked in olive oil. The chef in the evening basically wouldn't help me at all and said I could get a salad.

We really liked all the food and choices at Sunshine Seasons.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #489
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

US/IOA questions

I'm heading back to Orlando in two weeks I have some questions though..hoping this board can help me out.
1. Are these items vegetarian (milk and eggs are ok)?
2. Do they taste good?

At Islands- black beans and yellow rice from thunder falls terrace, salad and roasted potatoes at 3 broomsticks, how about a cauldron cake
At Universal- health sandwich from beverly hills

At AK- pizzafari kids pizza meal
At DHS- veg sand at Starring Rolls

I think I got Epcot and MK figured out

~~Amy~~ Lexi Baby
~~Jeff~~ Mickey
WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW POP Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum Trip July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014, April 2014-2015 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014 WWOHP DA July 2014 DLR/WDW Wedding/Disneymoon Oct. 2014

Long Term Goal is to stay at all Disney Hotels...so far I've been to.....
All Star Movies-1, All Star Music-1, Pop-1, Coronado Springs-1, Animal Kingdom Lodge -2, Disneyland Hotel-1, Paradise Pier-3
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #490
Salome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalebeau View Post
We went to 1900 Park Fare on 6/26 (Sunday) and he was there. He showed me what was vegan at the buffet (a couple breads, a couple salads, a soup), and then proceeded to bring us more food than we could ever hope to eat.

We had a huge salad with apple, avocado, spicy fried garbanzo, pistachio, walnuts...other stuff too. Really good! He made us an appetizer of spring rolls and house made potato chips with a hummus with capers and roasted red peppers.

Then we got our towering platter of goodness - asparagus, carrots, tofu, potato, bok choy, tiny sweet onions (at first I thought they were raisins). Each veggie was cooked differently, so it all had a different taste - sweet and spicy and grilled. On top were those crispy white noodles he loves to put on things! It was amazing. We were getting really full, when he came out because whoops! He forgot our sushi! My kids (6 and 9) loved it. My 9 year old wants him to make us every meal!!

Just when we were full to bursting, he brought out the dessert - huge chunks of pineapple with skewers in them. On the skewers were bananas, strawberries, scoops of chocolate soy ice cream with divvies cookies smushed on them. He drizzled it all with chocolate syrup at the table.

On his way back to the kitchen Anastasia stole his syrup and poured a TON in her mouth and threatened her mother and sister with it. Lady Tremaine couldn't stop laughing...she had to leave the dining room to compose herself. Chef TJ was quite the enabler though... he brought out two more bottles of syrup, and gave Drusilla some whipped cream. It was hysterical.

This was our last night at WDW and it was AMAZING.
Wow! Did you contact him before or just asked for him when you were there?
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #491
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Oh, thank you, thank you, itsalebeau!!! We will make reservations for 1900 Park Fare ASAP.

I just LOVE TJ!!

Teresa
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #492
itsalebeau
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Wow! Did you contact him before or just asked for him when you were there?
I just asked when we got there. I wasn't sure he'd be there! He was running all over, there were a lot of allergies and special cases. I think everyone knows he is awesome!

Quote:
Oh, thank you, thank you, itsalebeau!!! We will make reservations for 1900 Park Fare ASAP.

I just LOVE TJ!!

Teresa
He was soooooooooooooooooooo nice. Such a great guy. We were there for two hours. It was great!

Here is one of our dishes...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #493
Salome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalebeau View Post
I just asked when we got there. I wasn't sure he'd be there! He was running all over, there were a lot of allergies and special cases. I think everyone knows he is awesome!

He was soooooooooooooooooooo nice. Such a great guy. We were there for two hours. It was great!

Here is one of our dishes...

OMG!!! This looks just too good!
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #494
bicker
DIS Veteran

Okay, 180 days is coming up for us in the next few weeks, so I'd love to hear some input!

A bit of background: I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, though I am often closer to vegan, because I'm not supposed to have animal fat. (So vegetarian by conviction; practically vegan by prescription.) I suspect, during vacation, I'll probably tell my doctors to pound sand and indulge in some creamy goodness a bit.

My wife is also a vegetarian, though she'll sneak some crab on occasion.

We tend to lean towards more table service meals - i.e., both lunch and dinner - lightening them up by splitting entrees at each meal. That way we get to sample a lot more of what's offered, eating more civilly than we can at counter-service restaurants, and hopefully getting a bit more service toward satisfying our dietary needs than at counter-service restaurants.

We're staying at Kidani Village, and we have a valid TiW card already in-hand.

We're arriving Sunday about 11am-ish, coming off the Auto Train. I'm figuring that we'll spend Sunday afternoon/evening at Epcot, Animal Kingdom on Monday, Hollywood Studios on Tuesday, Epcot on Wednesday, and Animal Kingdom on Thursday. We leave Friday afternoon on the Auto Train, so will likely not visit any theme parks on Friday morning.

Sunday lunch is probably the biggest challenge. We know ourselves: Waiting until we get from Sanford to the hotel, and then from there on to Epcot is probably not going to work out. Besides the fact that we'll be hungry for a while, that'll put lunch so late that it'll conceptually "ruin dinner".

So I'm playing with the idea of eating at Raglan Road (which does participate in TiW afaik). Does anyone have any recent vegetarian experiences at Raglan Road? Are there other lunch-offering, TiW-participating restaurants, on the way to AKL, that would be better choices?

(I know about Sanaa; we've already done lunch at Sanaa, and would rather try something else, if practicable.)

Over the course of the week, we'll have at least two sit-down meals at (or near) Epcot, perhaps as many as three.

I was thinking about Chefs de France for Sunday night. We love this place and they have always treated us, and our dietary needs, very well. However, we've actually eaten there a lot, recently, so perhaps we shouldn't go back again so soon.

I was also thinking about reserving Hacienda for lunch one day. I have no good insight on that place yet. The only thing I read was that the menu doesn't look promising, but I've seen a vegetarian menu for the place that looks very promising to me!

I was considering dinner at Kouzzina. We ate there just after the change-over and I guess they weren't "done" yet, so a return trip is warranted. However, we'll probably stay at the BoardWalk during our next visit, so perhaps we should leave Kouzzina until then.

Some places we won't consider, due to our own, recent, experiences: Tutto Italia (bad food, bad service, suspect compliance with dietary restrictions); Via Napoli (not bad, but not worth going back to); Coral Reef (excellent, but was just there this past visit); Rose & Crown (good stuff, but too recently visited).

We'll probably also need some help with our day at Hollywood Studios. Please feel free to recommend stuff nearby; we'll almost surely be driving to and between the parks that day.

My initial instinct was to consider Sci-Fi for lunch. I haven't eaten at Sci-Fi in a long time, since the old burger-and-fries days, so more recent experiences would be good input.

We'll end up at AK for two lunches. It almost seems inevitable that we'll just book Tusker House both times. (Snooze) We were very optimistic about Yak & Yeti, but our two visits there were both very disappointing (mostly from the standpoint of limited selections for vegetarians).

The nights after our visits to AK will probably include dinners at our hotel, or perhaps a trip to Artist Point.

We just ate at Jiko (very good, but not as good as it once was, quite frankly), so we'll probably aim for a dinner at Sanaa (which we had lunch at once, as mentioned above, but dinner looks different from lunch) and Boma (which I have never been as impressed with as I have been impressed with Tusker House, but it's decent and convenient).

We'll almost surely do Artist Point for dinner one night during the week. Artist Point is our favorite restaurant, and we've had incredibly great experiences over what must, by now, be a dozen visits.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bicker; 07-02-2011 at 12:44 PM.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #495
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I've had mixed experiences at Raglan Road - sometimes the food has been very good, other times not so good. (I'm vegan.) But it's been good enough times that I'd definitely go again.

We've had very good experiences at Kouzzina. Our approach was to just say "here's what we can eat, surprise us with something good" and we all got different but very tasty dishes. (This was in Feb of this year.)

Sci-Fi made us a stir-fried veggie and tofu dish when we ate there about two years ago. It was okay but nothing exciting. I find HS a tricky location for meals as a vegan. The best I've had there was at Brown Derby but of course it's pretty expensive (and would be too much food to then follow up with a dinner at Artist's Point.)

I've never tried Artist's Point and now I'm thinking of giving it a shot on our next trip (going at the beginning of November, then another cruise on the Dream in March). Thanks for the suggestion!

Teresa

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: