Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #286
bicker
DIS Veteran

Looks like you're stayingat AKL, in which case the focus on those restaurants make sense. Personally, as a vegetarian, I found Boma disappointing for both breakfast and dinner, especially after seeing what Tusker House was able to offer in a somewhat similar cuisine, though other folks didn't have the concerns I did (about Boma or Sanaa, for that matter).

A warning about Prime Time... for us, the one choice offered us was the stuffed pepper. I'm not a fan of stuffed pepper. Perhaps that's the way it is supposed to be, but I found the pepper to be squeaky-rubbery, like biting into a balloon. Bleh.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #287
ls15
Mouseketeer

We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside.

I ended up changing one of the home reservations (instead of Boatwright's) to Jiko.

I'm worried that you were so disappointed! I wonder if I should try to switch them!
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #288
bicker
DIS Veteran

Yeah, if you're staying at POR, my personal recommendation is to ratchet back on the trips to Boma. Again, we were disappointed. There are other choices out there, afaic. Think about perhpas Crystal Palace.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #289
ls15
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info. I also chose it as I heard it was good for celiacs (as I am a celiac also). What about the rest of the choices? Any ideas? What is Crystal Palace like?
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #290
itchin2go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls15 View Post
We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside.

I ended up changing one of the home reservations (instead of Boatwright's) to Jiko.

I'm worried that you were so disappointed! I wonder if I should try to switch them!
I love Boma for both breakfast and dinner. Wouldn't miss either. So many things to try! We have found appetizers and desserts to be good at Jiko, but have been disappointed in entrees.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #291
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert

Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!

Danyella522- Ate at Ohana on Friday night, I had Chef Marcos he assured me that the noodles did not have any egg product in them or on them whatsoever. He also made me a really good tofu dish with tempura asparagus, and the dessert was a work of art(I'll post a picture link later)

Also, The new Mexican Counter service will leave off anything and give you sides of whatever you'd like as well. I ordered the Nachos with normally come with beans, jalepenos, cheese, sour sour cream, tomatoes, and beef. I asked them to leave off the beef, cheese, sour cream, and added a side of guacomole, they were really really really good. I also got one of their popsicles(lemon flavor) which was deliecious as well!

Yesterday before leaving, we ate lunch at Pollo Campero, and went on a rampage at Baby Cakes. Brandi was working and she was so friendly! I maybe went a little overboard , I got my son a cookie(he is not vegan but woofed it down really quick them promptly asked for another one), I got myself and hubby(who is also not vegan)- a chocolate chip sookie sandwhich with vanilla frosting(it was awesome), 2 crunch donuts-1 vanilla, 1 chocolate, brownie bites, a red velvet cupcake, & a lemon cupcake top. Everything was fabulous! And on top of it she gave me everything in a cute pink cake box! I can get vegan cupcakes at the whole foods near my house, but they are so so so sweet they hurt my teeth, these cupcakes were the perfect amount of sweetness for me! Can't wait to go back and try some new things!

Quote:
A warning about Prime Time... for us, the one choice offered us was the stuffed pepper. I'm not a fan of stuffed pepper. Perhaps that's the way it is supposed to be, but I found the pepper to be squeaky-rubbery, like biting into a balloon. Bleh.
Here's a link about their new vegan option
http://bashfulvegan.blogspot.com/
Scroll down the the Jan 3rd post, she didn't seem to care for it much, but when I ate at Play N Dine in September, the chef brought it over for me from Prime Time and it was so delicious(to me) I almost licked the bowl!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #292
bicker
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that link. In a way, as much as we do share some similar challenges, being a vegan is very different (much harder) than being a vegetarian. Dairy forgives a multitude of culinary sins, because of how it enriches, counteracts certain others notes in recipes, etc. A dish designed to be made with dairy is totally unbalanced if the dairy is just left out, without being replaced by something that acts on the tongue, in almost every way, the way dairy does. The only thing that comes close, imho, is nutritional yeast, but I doubt you'll find it in many full-service restaurants, and I wonder how many chefs even know how to use it as a ready-substitute.

As such, as far as I can see from the photo, I could very well have considered that dish (with the dairy included) one of the best meals of our trip. Looks good to me!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #293
itsalebeau
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Danyella522- Ate at Ohana on Friday night, I had Chef Marcos he assured me that the noodles did not have any egg product in them or on them whatsoever. He also made me a really good tofu dish with tempura asparagus, and the dessert was a work of art(I'll post a picture link later)

Also, The new Mexican Counter service will leave off anything and give you sides of whatever you'd like as well. I ordered the Nachos with normally come with beans, jalepenos, cheese, sour sour cream, tomatoes, and beef. I asked them to leave off the beef, cheese, sour cream, and added a side of guacomole, they were really really really good. I also got one of their popsicles(lemon flavor) which was deliecious as well!
Tofu and tempura asparagus? Yuuuuuuuuuuuum.

And yay about the CS (I assume you mean at Epcot?). That sounds good. Only 5 more months!!
itsalebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #294
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

We are a fam of 5 vegetarians. Do you all usually call in advance? I have called to have it added to our ressies a couple of times and always been told to just tell the chef when we get there?? I usually read menus before I make ADRs so I pick places with veg options. Once when we went to Chef Mickey's the chef just looked at me blankly and said there were some veg items on the buffet like potatoes and salad then walked away and we ended up eating a few sides. It was a vastly diff experience than our beloved Boma!

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #295
dreamn_Disney
I am flippin hilarious
I had a look of horror on my face
have decided I am going to just squirt him with dish soap

My son wants his Birthday dinner at T-Rex this March. I looked at the menu and it seems there is very little without meat. Can anyone share their experience with vegetarian and T-Rex. If I need to I will eat someplace else before we go and just sip a drink while there.
"One hundred years from now...it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."
Forest E. Witcraft
dreamn_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #296
danyella522
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy for you that the noodles do not contain egg powder. But I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on them!! Next time haha

AKL January 2010
Poly May 2010
BLT January 2011
danyella522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #297
eeyore81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn_Disney View Post
My son wants his Birthday dinner at T-Rex this March. I looked at the menu and it seems there is very little without meat. Can anyone share their experience with vegetarian and T-Rex. If I need to I will eat someplace else before we go and just sip a drink while there.
We ate a T-Rex a few years ago (when it very first opened). If I remember correctly we were vegetarians at the time (we are now a vegan family). We had the T-Rexadillas. They brought us black beans in place of the chicken. I remember our server said they can make a veg pasta dish. There were serveral salads and appetizers too. There is also mac and cheese, pizza and pasta on the kid's menu that is veg. We had a good meal and it was fun eating at T-Rex.
eeyore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #298
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
Interested in these veggie options to satify DD - but also wondered which stand was this in DLR - is this the one that also does mint juleps (attached to French Market) - just wondered
I don't remember mint juleps being served there. It's called Cafe Orleans. The rest of the menu is here
http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_cr.htm

DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Plasticletters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #299
MamaPotts
Mouseketeer

Well, I'm starting to plan our next trip and was wondering if anyone has had a recent experience dining as a vegan at Garden Grill. It's always been one of my favorites and it's one of DS's favorites. Wondering if I can bring it back into the rotation.

MamaPotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #300
Tri-Delta4Life
Mouseketeer

I'm not a vegetarian, but this last week at California Grill I had an amazing vegetarian entree: Sautéed Sweet Potato Dumplings with Chanterelles, Planet Carrots, Brussels sprouts, and Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette

It was soooooo good! The picture isn't so great because I was so into eating it I forgot to take a picture until it was over half gone.

I also had a really great salad at The Hollywood Brown Derby: Curly Spinach, Watercress, Strawberry Salad with Affinée Blue Cheese, Walnuts, and a Cranberry Vanilla Vinaigrette

This was my absolute favorite lunch of the trip! The salad was so light and refreshing, yet filling and satisfying. It gave me great energy for the rest of the day and didn't weigh me down on ToT or RnR!

2/11 - CSR
3/10 - POFQ
2/09 - Grand Floridian
6/08 - POR Honeymoon

Girls Only Spring Break Trip POFQ w/DxDP Trip Report

Tri-Delta4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: