Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
MataHari22
Mouseketeer

Lunch before MNSSHP ideas.

I was thinking of checking out one of the Monorail resorts and having a quick service lunch there before getting to MNSSHP by 4pm on 10/28. I was leaning towards either the Grand Floridian or Poly, since I have never been to either, but back in '92, I did stay at the Contemporary. The woman I am traveling with, has never been to any of them. I have been checking periodically to see if Afternoon Tea was available at GF, but it's still not.

Opinions as to where the best food is for QS? I think I read that the Poly is under refurb, should I not consider it then? Was trying to keep it to one of the monorail resorts since we plan on some pool time that morning and relaxing at the resort before heading out at about noon-1 pm. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

In earlier times, I would've said definitely Captain Cook's over GF QS.
Construction does have to be considered, though.

If you want tea, call (407) WDW-DINE and ask over the phone.
If you have a larger party, you may have to ask to split into smaller ones, but I have never *not* been able to get a reservation there. They just don't appear online as often - but they are available over the phone.

Case in point, we have a party of 6 in December and I just booked us for tea on the Saturday before Christmas. Nothing available online, and no tables for 6 available on the phone, but I booked three tables of 2 (all under my name and credit card guarantee). No problem.

Another one we like is the QS at Wilderness Lodge... it's not on the monorail, but it is a boat ride away from MK (and back again).
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
scrappymel
DIS Veteran

we like to eat at wilderness lodge before MNSSHP then ride the boat over. it might be an option for you to consider too. have a great time!
*10/6-14/12 - AoA
*10/5-13/13 - CBR

scrappymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
briarblair
Earning My Ears

We eat at the poly the day of mnsshp. Have fun!!
briarblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
MataHari22
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. I didn't even think about Wilderness Lodge as an option. I will try and call about Tea at the GF, since that would be my first choose of what to do. It's just my friend and I going, I've been checking on the website, but you're right, I should try over the phone.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

We ate at Capt Cooks before MvMCp last year and enjoyed it
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

While there is tons of construction going on at the Poly, the refurbed Captain Cook's opened a couple weeks ago (with expanded menu even, minus the adult grilled cheese) so it is definitely an option. Our favorite resort QS, for sure.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

You can grab lunch at Contempo Café and then walk to MK.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
hannouz4
Earning My Ears

We have a 3:00 ARD at Rainforest at DTD and going to head straight over to party after. Thought that would be a big meal to get us though most of the party and we could snack on stuff during the parades
hannouz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
threelilbears
Mouseketeer

Having stayed at the GF for many trips now, I can tell you they have always squeezed us in for tea when we went to the podium and asked, without an ADR. So, it might be worth trying if that is your first choice - and you can always eat at Gasparilla's if it doesn't work out.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
dkrauss
Goofy Fan from Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappymel View Post
we like to eat at wilderness lodge before MNSSHP then ride the boat over. it might be an option for you to consider too. have a great time!

This is our plan for MNNSHP day.........morning in MK.........then lunch at the
Whispering Canyon. This is a no brainer for us, as we're staying at the WL. Our thought is to eat a heartier lunch and then "wing it" for dinner after we've finished meeting the 7 Dwarves

Looking forward to Sept 16th!!!!

Doug
Old 08-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
MataHari22
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the ideas, everyone! I talked to my friend and she keeps saying that she doesn't care what we do, so I decided on the Grand Floridian, since I have always wanted to stay there, and have always wanted to check out that resort. Also, I looked at the Whispering Canyon menu, and it's a lot of meat and I didn't see a good vegetarian option for me, the dishes looked very meat-centric, and unfortunately I cannot swallow meats very well. I have been checking everyday or so for something to open up for tea, but nothing has. So, yesterday, I made a reservation for the Grand Floridian Café. Looks like there are some lighter dishes and maybe more options for the chef to tweak and come up with something that I can swallow. I didn't think about just trying a walk up for the afternoon tea, I was figuring I wouldn't be able to get in. At least I have a plan now, I can always change it if something better pops up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: