Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
laplbl@aol.com
Mousejunkie since 2003

Dietary Issues for Adults

Hi Everyone:
My mom and I are going to Disney in January. I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis (this is when the stomach does not empty fast enough causing pain, nausea and small/ loss of appetite.) I am only able to eat very small portions, sometimes only 4 to 5 bits of a meal. My issue is we have reservations at multiple restaurants. I want to still be able to enjoy my meals, but to spend $20-30 on a meal that I will only be able to eat very little of seems to be a waste of money. Do you think restaurants will accommodate for this dietary issue? I know they don't allow adults to eat off of children's menus. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanking you in advance,
Amanda
laplbl@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Actually, most TS places will let the adults order from the child's menu. Just ask politely and mention your medical issue if there is a problem.

However, if you have any buffets or all-you-can-eats planned, there is no consideration. You will have to pay the full adult price no matter how little you eat.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
BlackSwan
Earning My Ears

It's important to explain your exact issue. If don't and order off the kids menu, they'll bring you an adult sized portion of the child's meal and that's not what you're looking for. If you explain what you need, you can probably get a smaller portion of an adult meal.
BlackSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Mum23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
It's important to explain your exact issue. If don't and order off the kids menu, they'll bring you an adult sized portion of the child's meal and that's not what you're looking for. If you explain what you need, you can probably get a smaller portion of an adult meal.
But they will most likely charge the full meal price.
Mum23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I was actually misdiagnosed with gastroparesis for close to a year and was near being put on a feeding tube when docs figured out problem was actually food allergies.

There is an organization called G-Pact that you can order restaurant cards from. If you google the organization, you can find how to order them. The cards explain gastroparesis and its symptoms in easy language and request a smaller portion and restaurant discount. In no way is a restaurant required to give you a discount, but the cards might make it easier for you to explain issue.

Also, if you haven't started looking at resources, I highly recommend looking at Crystal Saltrelli's work. She is a certified health coach who has gastroparesis.

Good luck!

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

How about ordering appy instead of a dinner?
You can also share w your mom just about everywhere (not family style or buffets of course)

Add an appy to share and 1 entree, might work for you

Good luck
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek+nerd View Post
I was actually misdiagnosed with gastroparesis for close to a year and was near being put on a feeding tube when docs figured out problem was actually food allergies.

There is an organization called G-Pact that you can order restaurant cards from. If you google the organization, you can find how to order them. The cards explain gastroparesis and its symptoms in easy language and request a smaller portion and restaurant discount. In no way is a restaurant required to give you a discount, but the cards might make it easier for you to explain issue.

Also, if you haven't started looking at resources, I highly recommend looking at Crystal Saltrelli's work. She is a certified health coach who has gastroparesis.

Good luck!
Great resource suggestions for you.
I also have gastroparesis. I have never had any accommodations while at Disney or anywhere else for that matter. I have come to grips with the fact that I can not eat large portions of food at a time. If I choose to eat out, I know that I will not finish the portion of food I am served. I have become comfortable with the fact that that is the way it is. Having a card that describes the disease will not likely make any difference.
At buffet and all you care to eat meals, you will be charged the full adult price, not matter how much or how little you eat. At most a la carte TS meals you will be allowed to order off of the kids menus, but the offerings are more limited.
Good Luck

Last edited by Hopefully; 12-14-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa_ View Post
How about ordering appy instead of a dinner?
You can also share w your mom just about everywhere (not family style or buffets of course)

Add an appy to share and 1 entree, might work for you

Good luck
This is what I would recommend as well when ordering off the menu. Or, you could just order a side dish. As long as it's on the menu somewhere, it can be ordered.

You can also have the leftovers boxed up. I would recommend taking a plastic grocery bag with you to use to carry the box(es) with you. You can rent a locker to store the bag so you don't have to carry it for the rest of your day.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
This is what I would recommend as well when ordering off the menu. Or, you could just order a side dish. As long as it's on the menu somewhere, it can be ordered.

You can also have the leftovers boxed up. I would recommend taking a plastic grocery bag with you to use to carry the box(es) with you. You can rent a locker to store the bag so you don't have to carry it for the rest of your day.
Please nobody EVER do this, it is a major food safety concern. This is food poisoning just waiting to happen and then someone will go and complain that "such and such restaurant gave them food poisoning". Leaving leftover food in a unrefrigerated locker for hours on end is a "recipe for disaster".

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Please nobody EVER do this, it is a major food safety concern. This is food poisoning just waiting to happen and then someone will go and complain that "such and such restaurant gave them food poisoning". Leaving leftover food in a unrefrigerated locker for hours on end is a "recipe for disaster".
I agree. That îs a nasty illness waiting to happen.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

1) Disney DOES NOT discount or reduce prices for dietary issues.
2) You can always order just appys or order from the kid's menu.
3) However, at any buffets, AYCTE's, dinner shows, character meals you will pay full adult price.
4) Even if you have a card (how does Disney know this is you?).

NOTE: WDW is not sensitive to smaller appetites. It costs too much profit
per-cover (aka, per-seat) to sell smaller portions or reduced meals. Besides,
if they did for one, with the Internet there would be LOTS of folks claiming
ills tying to get cheaper meals.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

Hi another Amanda!

Nothing to add to PPs - just wanted to I guess beat a dead horse: if you go to the disabilities forum of Disboards, you might be able to search and find a post by a dad of a disabled DD, who was cognitively impaired to a significant degree and received nutrition only via a tube (and only special 'food' her parents brought with them). She was still charged the full price for all character (buffet) meals!

Meaning, if they didn't make an exception for her, well - I don't know a better example I guess!

I know its frustrating - the meals are so expensive - but maybe just consider it an added cost? Like people who have mobility challenges: they have to pay the cost to rent a scooter.
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplbl@aol.com View Post
Hi Everyone:
My mom and I are going to Disney in January. I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis (this is when the stomach does not empty fast enough causing pain, nausea and small/ loss of appetite.) I am only able to eat very small portions, sometimes only 4 to 5 bits of a meal. My issue is we have reservations at multiple restaurants. I want to still be able to enjoy my meals, but to spend $20-30 on a meal that I will only be able to eat very little of seems to be a waste of money. Do you think restaurants will accommodate for this dietary issue? I know they don't allow adults to eat off of children's menus. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanking you in advance,
Amanda
Gluten Free & other dietary Information-

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...formation.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I would NOT go a buffet, just regular ts, and order an appetizer for my meal.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplbl@aol.com View Post
Hi Everyone:

Thanking you in advance,
Amanda
Sadly, you only have two choices:

1) Eat at a la carte restaurants where you can more easily control the amount of food you order and consume.

or

2) Accept that you're paying as much for the character experience at character meals as you are the food and only eat what you feel comfortable consuming.

I have Crohn's Disease, so I know how frustrating life with a chronic GI illness can be, but Disney doesn't budge when it comes to AYCE and buffets.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: