Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
PolynesianLily
Peace, Love, Disney World

Speaking of that Whole "Stay Out Of The Lakes"

I saw quite a few small children playing in the Seven Seas Lagoon while their parents just sat there on beach chairs watching them. Maybe they didn't notice the apparent sludgy black stuff washing up onto the beach, or the white foam that would appear in random spots on the white sand. Regardless...WHY would you let your kids in those waters when you know that boats and such travel through there and you can tell by the color of the water that it is not meant for swimming. Ohhh and did I mention that a few days ago my mom read a post on here about how someone saw an alligator coming out of the water onto the Grand Floridian walkway...

Not to mention the signs that people fail to notice .
Some people amuse me...really.

I wonder what some of those parents are thinking when they let their children splash around in those lakes/lagoons.

April 2000 ~ Disney's All Star Music Resort; April 2001 ~ Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort; April/May 2003 ~ Disney's Wilderness Lodge; April/May 2004 ~ Disney's Wilderness Lodge; December 2004 ~ Disney's Pop Century Resort, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Disney's Polynesian Resort; May 2006 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; December 2006 ~ Disney's All Star Sports Resort; April/May 2007 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; December 2008 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; May 2010 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; April/May 2011 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; April/May 2012 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort
PolynesianLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
TrekBoy85
Mouseketeer

They must be thinking the gators are hungry!

TrekBoy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

I think you must consider these people Yankees and they need to be warned. They probably have NO idea. Yankees don't know from alligators, lunch plate sized water bugs, mosquitoes, fire ants. I'm sure as a mom, I'd rather have a stranger come up and warn me about local dangers, than find out the hard way.

One day we were visiting Celebration and there is this big lake with walkways around it. We were standing along the railing and I saw an alligator in the lake. I am used to boating in the Chesapeake Bay and its off shoots. We only have jelly fish and mid shipman to look out for. I have no earthly idea how Floridians dare go in the water to water ski or drag their boats off the launches!

If you don't feel comfortable coming up to the parent, then find a cast member to do it for you. These people need to be told.

Last edited by Mindy5767; 05-20-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
I think you must consider these people Yankees and they need to be warned. They probably have NO idea. Yankees don't know from alligators, lunch plate sized water bugs, mosquitoes, fire ants. I'm sure as a mom, I'd rather have a stranger come up and warn me about local dangers, than find out the hard way.

One day we were visiting Celebration and there is this big lake with walkways around it. We were standing along the railing and I saw an alligator in the lake. I am used to boating in the Chesapeake Bay and its off shoots. We only have jelly fish and mid shipman to look out for. I have no earthly idea how Floridians dare go in the water to water ski or drag their boats off the launches!

If you don't feel comfortable coming up to the parent, then find a cast member to do it for you. These people need to be told.
You'd think those signs posted every so many feet would be enough.

If they already feel entitled to believe that the WDW signage doesnt pertain to them....do you really think that they will be happy with advice from a stranger?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
NC Belle
I NC Beast
This Belle only has a furbaby

Quote:

I used to boat in the Bay---grew up in the Annapolis area. Behind my childhood home, we had cottonmouths, copperheads, water moccasins, muskrats, and other critters. I was more fit when I had to out row the various water snakes and never spent much time in the yard after dark. The Smithosian had some of their research facilities on rt. 468 in Anne Arundel Co., near Mayo,where you could learn more in depth of the wildlife.
NC Belle ºoº 10/2013 Pop, 8/2011 CSR, 1/2011 CSR, 12/10 CR, 10/10 CSR/Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 10/09 AKL-Jambo House/SSR/Sports, 10/08 Sheraton Vistana/CSR, 8/08 Csr+CR, 11/07 ASMU, 9/06 Pop,10/05 POP/BWV,2/05 AKL, 5/04 CSR,1996-offsite/honeymoonº0º
NC Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

If they already feel entitled to believe that the WDW signage doesnt pertain to them....do you really think that they will be happy with advice from a stranger?
well I do my part

I've been in WI since mid April, but will be back down in less than a week. I'll make sure to add my very obvious pointing to all the ppl swimming in the water at the poly when I say "and remember, stay outta the lake." During the winter months, the alligator questions seem to die down, but I'm sure they will be back in full force!

My best experience was when an alligator was at FW and I had a boat full of 120 ppl. I got on the mic and told everyone to look port side, cuz there's an alligator in the water, so stay outta the (damn) lakes! Talk about mass effect!

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
TeriofTerror
Please visit my blog: http://disneygene.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Hey! I'm from Ohio, but I know enough to stay out of the lakes! (I'm not really offended, so don't worry.)

I wrote a blog on this subject, and seriously considered dedicating it to Pete! Please check it out:
http://disneygene.blogspot.com/2010/...ger-snaps.html
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

The signs are there and that ought to be enough. There is no excuse for those who see the signs read the signs and still send their kids and/or themselves in the water.

But as to the comment about Yankees not getting the idea of staying out of fresh water in the southern states. I have talked to many people up here not necessarily about WDW (again the signs) but of the south and swimming in fresh water in general there. It is very hard to convince people who have lived all their lives in the north swimming in the ponds lakes and rivers from the time they could toddle in that it could be dangerous for a multitude of reasons to do the same in the south. They just don't get the concept of gators, venomous snakes, ameoba etc... They get this look like I am trying to pull a fast one on them when I say stay out of the water down there and if there is a sign, read and obey! Like I said not an excuse I just find it amazing that people can't grasp that things might be different elswhere from what they are used to.

Last edited by eeyorethegreat; 05-22-2010 at 08:05 AM.
eeyorethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

No apparently it is not! As a mom, its kids in the water that worry me. They can't help if their parents are.... smart challenged.. shall we say! If children are in the water, this should be corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Belle View Post
I used to boat in the Bay---grew up in the Annapolis area. Behind my childhood home, we had cottonmouths, copperheads, water moccasins, muskrats, and other critters. I was more fit when I had to out row the various water snakes and never spent much time in the yard after dark. The Smithosian had some of their research facilities on rt. 468 in Anne Arundel Co., near Mayo,where you could learn more in depth of the wildlife.
For many years, we boated in South River, Spa Creek, and Kent Island. For much of my growing up years, our boat was docked in a small cove at the base of the Severn River Bridge. We would sail out turn Starboard and be in the midst of the middies. I loved docking at the city dock and going for ice cream at that tiny shop by the docks. I never saw anything other than jelly fish in the water. whewww glad I didn't or I'd have been outta there!!
We didn't live there though. We lived in Greenbelt. So the only yard experience was walking across the yard and down the 70 something cliff hanging steps through my dad's friends yard to our boat at the friend's dock (at the base of the bridge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriofTerror View Post
Hey! I'm from Ohio, but I know enough to stay out of the lakes! (I'm not really offended, so don't worry.)

I wrote a blog on this subject, and seriously considered dedicating it to Pete! Please check it out:
http://disneygene.blogspot.com/2010/...ger-snaps.html
I will check out your blog. I think that people at Disney have a false sense of security. Disney is so good at creating the perfect atmosphere that they think that nothing can harm them there. They assume that Disney is a closed system and that alligators were kept out and can't get in. We will kindly assume they are all visually impaired and didn't bring their glasses with them to the "beach". Disney makes these nice "beaches" at Caribbean Beach, The Grand, The Poly.... they think they're supposed to go in the water. I also think that people think if nobody yells at them (or stops them), then its ok. I'm telling you that's what they're thinking.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

I would like to add that I believe these are the same people that do not read the warning signs at the entrance to a Disney ride because they think nothing can hurt them there. They do not carefully assess whether a ride's experience would be appropriate for their child or their self based on their own health condition.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
PolynesianLily

When you don't see other people swimming or playing in the lakes/lagoons are you really sure you should be sending your kids in there?

I would go up to someone and tell them, but you don't know how they will react or if they have been drinking let's say. I know this might be far fetched but some people don't react kindly to others comments or suggestions.

April 2000 ~ Disney's All Star Music Resort; April 2001 ~ Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort; April/May 2003 ~ Disney's Wilderness Lodge; April/May 2004 ~ Disney's Wilderness Lodge; December 2004 ~ Disney's Pop Century Resort, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Disney's Polynesian Resort; May 2006 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; December 2006 ~ Disney's All Star Sports Resort; April/May 2007 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; December 2008 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; May 2010 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; April/May 2011 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort; April/May 2012 ~ Disney's Polynesian Resort
Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianLily View Post
When you don't see other people swimming or playing in the lakes/lagoons are you really sure you should be sending your kids in there?

I would go up to someone and tell them, but you don't know how they will react or if they have been drinking let's say. I know this might be far fetched but some people don't react kindly to others comments or suggestions.

Nope... they're oblivious. The assume its not crowded! You do have a good point about not knowing how they'll react. That's where it might be a good idea to point the person in need of a reminder out to the nearest cast member such as a life guard.

When we were at the Grand Floridian, my daughter was playing in the sand there, but as she was right next to the patio, we were far from the water's edge. I'm sure glad no gators sautered out of the water and onto the sand while we were there. I actually wasn't close enough to read the signs.. even though I'm a sign reader. I tend to stop and read the signs. I guess I get it from my dad. He had to stop and read every sign. He would even pull our car over to the side of the road to read every historical marker... and in the mid atlantic region... that's a lot!

Its the children in the water that scare me! That can't be allowed.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
PolynesianLily

I completely understand what you are saying about the children. It just puzzles me like Kevin said that these people think those signs do not pertain to them. It's not like the signs are not obvious or unreadable.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianLily View Post
I completely understand what you are saying about the children. It just puzzles me like Kevin said that these people think those signs do not pertain to them. It's not like the signs are not obvious or unreadable.
wouldn't that be an interesting sociological survey! Have a sociology student from a local university stand with a clipboard near signs and query people when they ignore the sign and ask them why they don't think the sign pertains to them?! I could see it now!!! Maybe you'd need a big male student! "Hey lady, I saw you ignore that sign over there and I notice that you let Junior there wade in the water..... why!!! "

Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
NC Belle
I NC Beast
This Belle only has a furbaby

Quote:
No apparently it is not! As a mom, its kids in the water that worry me. They can't help if their parents are.... smart challenged.. shall we say! If children are in the water, this should be corrected.

For many years, we boated in South River, Spa Creek, and Kent Island. For much of my growing up years, our boat was docked in a small cove at the base of the Severn River Bridge. We would sail out turn Starboard and be in the midst of the middies. I loved docking at the city dock and going for ice cream at that tiny shop by the docks. I never saw anything other than jelly fish in the water. whewww glad I didn't or I'd have been outta there!!
We didn't live there though. We lived in Greenbelt. So the only yard experience was walking across the yard and down the 70 something cliff hanging steps through my dad's friends yard to our boat at the friend's dock (at the base of the bridge).
When we had a power boat/fishing boat (late 70s-mid 1980s)...we fished near the N.A. and down to maybe Calvert Cliffs. I used to love going to the mall on Saturday to check out the middies. I miss living near Annapolis at this time of the year with all the grauation events/air show practices.

I used to get mint chocolate chip ice cream at the City Dock (I think it might be Lee's or whatever it was at the dock) when we had out-state company.
NC Belle ºoº 10/2013 Pop, 8/2011 CSR, 1/2011 CSR, 12/10 CR, 10/10 CSR/Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 10/09 AKL-Jambo House/SSR/Sports, 10/08 Sheraton Vistana/CSR, 8/08 Csr+CR, 11/07 ASMU, 9/06 Pop,10/05 POP/BWV,2/05 AKL, 5/04 CSR,1996-offsite/honeymoonº0º
NC Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: