Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
mrspopeye
OCD Vacation Planner

Can an 11 yr old eat off the kids menu at a TS restaurant?

I have an 11 yr old picky eater as far as grown-up food, but is very content with standard kid menu fare, for the age 3-9 group. Everywhere I have made ADRs it will be a problem if she is forced to order off the adult menu. I posed this question to the Disney customer service and I got a rather vague answer, and said it was up to the individual restaurants, but hinted it would not be an issue.

Myself, hubby and 15 yr old really wanted to eat a O'Hana and I called to see if they would make some type of arrangement for a kids dinner, but was told because it was served family style, and that accomodation could not be made. Called back another day and got a different operator, who suggested we make a special arrangement like a Kosher meal where she could have chicken strips. This worked out fine.

Anyone have ideas? How tough are they on this restriction? Should I call each restaurant and ask? I hate surprises on vacation after spending so much time planning.
mrspopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't see what good calling ahead to each individual restaurant would do. It's possible that the server you get when you arrive will tell you something different from what you would be told on the phone. That said, historically it shouldn't be an issue at a la carte restaurants (COULD be more of an issue if you are on the dining plan, depending on the restaurant - some of the restaurants that are not operated by Disney can be more strict about sticking to the exact dining plan entitlements). If the restaurant is a buffet, all you can eat family style, fixed price fixed menu, or a dinner show, you'll be paying full adult price for her no matter what she eats.
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
angiedora
Loves Kermey

This has been a couple of years ago but my 10 and 12 year olds were able to order off of the kids menu everywhere they tried. One or both ate off of the kids menu at Coral Reef, Chefs de France at lunch, Kona Cafe, and LTT lunch. Most often it was my DD who was 12 at the time. She tried the mac and cheese everywhere she could. Edited to add we were on the dining plan and payed oop for any kids meals.
DD19

Dec 2014 WDW CSR
June 2013 Disney Tokyo
Feb 2012 Disney Paris
POP Aug/Sept 2011
CBR Sept. 2010
POFQ Aug/Sept. 2008
CSR Sept.2007
WL Sept. 2005
angiedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If you are not on a Dining Plan there is no restriction about anybody ordering from a children's menu.

Any all-you-can-eat location (all buffets) there is no specific children's menu so everyone will pay the adult price.

If you are on a dining plan it will use up an adult TS meal.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
iteachlit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Any all-you-can-eat location (all buffets) there is no specific children's menu so everyone will pay the adult price.
At first I stated that kids pricing is offered at the buffets, then I went back to the OP and saw that the kids are 10+. In that case, CheshireFigment is correct, and I'm a moron.

If your kids are under 10, reduced pricing is available. Kids can eat off of the "adult" line as well.

Aug. 2014: Beach Club Villas June 2014: Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Nov. 2013: Animal Kingdom Villas: Kidani Village (MINECON!) Sep. 2013 Treehouse Villas Aug. 2011: Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village Jul. 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas, Jambo House Nov. 2009: Beach Club Villas Aug. 2009: Saratoga Springs Resort Jun. 2008: Hilton Head Island Resort (First DVC Trip) Jul. 2007: Wilderness Lodge (10th Anniversary w/o Kids!) Jun. 2006: All Star Movies Jul. 1997: Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon) May 1995: Dixie Landings (POR) Apr. 1993: Caribbean Beach Jun. 1991: Grand Floridian Concierge 1990: Offsite 1986: Offsite

Last edited by iteachlit; 05-23-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I am a moron
iteachlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopeye View Post
Can an 11 yr old eat off the kids menu at a TS restaurant? ...
I do not see why not, since at Disney an eleven year old is an old. You paid Disney an adult rate for your 11 year old. If you order off the kids menu, pay adult price ...clearly Disney benefits when you do this, so it would make no sense for Disney to say no.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Mommy2Jameson
Mouseketeer

When I took my 17 year old sister in 2008, she ate off the kids menu multiple times. We were on the dining plan, so at Table Service meals, we were still charged for an adult credit, but they let her order off the kids menu. She's a vegetarian, and a lot of the time, she just wanted the kids cheese pizza!

And at buffets, ANYONE can eat off the kids portion of the buffet! I'm always getting the little mickey waffles off the kids counter at the breakfast buffets! I think they taste better than the big sized ones!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Ohana will serve kid-friendly foods upon request. My kids got mac & cheese. We didn't call ahead, just asked the server what was available for them, because they didn't care for the regular items. I can't remember all the choices, but it was whatever is on the kids menu at Kona. We noticed a lot of kids getting alternative meals. Since your child is considered an adult by Disney, you'll still be charged the adult meal price at Ohana and other all-you-can-eat restaurants. At other TS, your daughter will be able to order off kids menus. Ask the host/hostess for the kids menu before you're seated. My older kids have never been denied a kids meal at any restaurant. If you aren't on the DDP, you'll be charged the regular kids meal price. If you're on the DDP, you might consider paying OOP for kids meals and save up credits for signature dining.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
mrspopeye
OCD Vacation Planner

Thanks for the helpful reponses. Glad to hear other were not given a hard time when ordering off the kids menu. We are not on the Disney dining plan. O'Hana did confirm that we will be shelling out the $30 for her meal. I wonder if we will be charged some type of adult rate for other places like 50s Prime Time or Sci-fi Drive In to order off the kids menu?
mrspopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
gw_lit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wonder if we will be charged some type of adult rate for other places like 50s Prime Time or Sci-fi Drive In to order off the kids menu?
No, at regular table service restaurants (not family-style like 'Ohana or not a buffet) you will be charged the price of the child's meal no matter the age of the person ordering.
May 2008 (Visit before DS#1 turns 10 and has to pay adult prices.)
May 2004 - Poly (the boys' first Disney trip!)
October 1996 - offsite (WDW 25th Anniversary Pepto Castle Celebration)
October 1991 - offsite
1974,1976, 1981, 1983 - offsite
gw_lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Arkansan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I wonder if we will be charged some type of adult rate for other places like 50s Prime Time or Sci-fi Drive In to order off the kids menu?
Possibly, but I doubt it. We just got back 5/17 and at Sci-fi our kids were given the adult menus at first. The younger two didn't see anything they'd like so we asked the server for the kids menu. Both ordered off it (they were 9 and 7, but sitting and in the dark the server couldn't really see how old they were). Our other 9 yr. old ordered an adult cheeseburger because she said, "Mom, the kid's meals are too small." We were paying OOP for all meals, so no problem. All the kids added a shake to their meals and were charged the regular price. ($4 something, but our server did bring the small bottles of water that come w/kids meals so we took them to go.)

At Hurricane Hanna's at the BC pool, I ordered a kid's meal turkey sandwich for myself and no-one questioned me. (The kids were swimming and I ran over to get them lunch. Ordered 4 kids meals and no-one batted an eye.)

Also--don't overlook the sides. At LeCellier, one DD didn't see anything she liked on the menu. (I know, blasphemy! ) Anyway, I spied the macaroni and cheese as a side and asked the server if she could get it as her meal. Server said, "of course. But it does contain bacon, is that ok?"--ie:more of an "adult" side than reg. kid's mac and cheese. DD said she wanted it, we ordered it, and it was her favorite meal the whole trip! Bonus: it was only $5.99 and the kids meals were $7 or $8 something! DH loved it, too. In hindsight, since none of our kids were super hungry that night, we should have just ordered a couple of sides of mac and cheese for them all and then had a bigger dessert. Live and learn...

Hope you have a great trip! I miss it already!
Arkansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
VAN
DIS Veteran

Yes, at the regular TS restaurants where you order off a menu, you will be charged for the items you order ... unless stated on the menu otherwise. At a buffet/all-you-can-eat restaurant, you will be charged per person based on AGE, not what is eaten.
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

My girls are 13 & 15 and still order the kids burgers at Sci Fi. When we pay OOP we are charged for kids meals and they still get the dessert!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14) upcoming BC 3/15

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
tlenzendorf
Always Dreaming of Disney!

If you are on the DP, they will bring you an adult sized kids meal if you ask. DD got that at WCC and at 50s PT. Other places we ate she was ok with getting adult meals or they were buffets.

tlenzendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
leebee
DIS Veteran

DD is not a big meat eater and therefore often orders from the kids' menu. She has done this at many Disney restaurants and only been charged the kids' meal price (not on dining plan). The only place that ever mentioned this or gave us a hard time was San Angel Inn in the Mexico pavilion in Epcot. They said she could NOT order a kids' meal. She had a soda and a small side dish while I ate as quickly as I could; she had cs dinner in Future World. We won't go back to San Angel Inn.
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: