Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #826
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you got to see family, wish it could have been in WDW.

Me DH DD DS
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #827
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo
I’m SERIOUS..milk just fell from my --- udder

....I vote to put all our 'non-believers' together in a locked room so they call all stare at each other....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #828
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Jumping in now, as I also have a DH who is a resister. He seems to be the opposite of your DH, as he complains, complains about having to go to WDW. He usually has a good time there, but then complains when we get back about money spent, time wasted etc. He's already complaining our upcoming trip will be a disaster with my parents coming along.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Also wanted to say how sorry I am about Chris' Aunt. She sounds like she was a great lady.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #829
JMcDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....I vote to put all our 'non-believers' together in a locked room so they call all stare at each other....
OH, that's funny!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #830
Glite
I was 2 years old when I first met the mouse. Been a Diser ever since! 655 miles from our favorite place.

Quote:

After they are locked in the room, w'ell play dozens of family Disney vacation videos in the room, so they can see the family magic and family fun that they are missing. We play the Disney songs....wishes, If you can dream, etc.

Me(40)DW(37)DS(7)DS(2 )

'72 off site, '77 Fort Wilderness, '79 Fort Wilderness, '82 Polynesian, '83 DL off site, '87 Polynesian, '95 off site, 2000 off site, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 Pop Century & OKW, 2009 SSR & All Star Movies.

Our 2009 October trip photo's: Includes the Royal Castle.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2311691
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #831
ashleighbass06
DIS Veteran

My DBF just saw the name of this thread in my CP and laughed telling me that I should read that...I explain that I already am reading it he informed me that he wouldn't classify himself as a resister...maybe there is hope for me Now to start planning a trip to convert him
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #832
DisneyBoundinDec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glite View Post
After they are locked in the room, w'ell play dozens of family Disney vacation videos in the room, so they can see the family magic and family fun that they are missing. We play the Disney songs....wishes, If you can dream, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #833
Glite
I was 2 years old when I first met the mouse. Been a Diser ever since! 655 miles from our favorite place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighbass06 View Post
My DBF just saw the name of this thread in my CP and laughed telling me that I should read that...I explain that I already am reading it he informed me that he wouldn't classify himself as a resister...maybe there is hope for me Now to start planning a trip to convert him

I enjoyed your photos. I also went when I was too.

Me(40)DW(37)DS(7)DS(2 )

'72 off site, '77 Fort Wilderness, '79 Fort Wilderness, '82 Polynesian, '83 DL off site, '87 Polynesian, '95 off site, 2000 off site, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 Pop Century & OKW, 2009 SSR & All Star Movies.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #834
Glite

Quote:

Correction to my previous post. I also went when I was 2.

Me(40)DW(37)DS(7)DS(2 )

Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #835
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Another WDW lover who has a DH resister

Thank you so much for writing about your family's experiences! I truly appreciate reading about another WDW lover's experience at WDW with a resister. I am sorry your trip was dampened numerous times because of your DH's attitude.

Unfortunately, my own family trip last summer, 2009, was also dampened by my husband's attitude. We had some fun, happy times as a family to remember, but there were also lots of times he just put a wet blanet on things. He was constantly telling me that the trip was too long. We stayed 8 days. We have only gone once before as a family in 2005 and then once together before we had kids. His attitude on this trip was just a big old downer for me and the kids. So, I have vowed that the next time I go to WDW I am leaving him at home.

I can certainly understand your torn feelings about your next trip in October 2011. In ways, you would like him to be there, especially since his behavior and attitude might be a lot different with your close friends there with you. On the other hand, he might be just as annoying and a downer as usual while at WDW.

Your DH, like mine, might be a great guy, loving and lots of fun on a daily basis, but he just doesn't do well with the crowds and lines and just general chaos that a family trip brings. So, I think your idea of having him come down for just part of the trip is a good one. I also agree with having him stay behind at the resort too and just meeting up with you for evening activities.

As you have pointed out, you never know what life or death has in store for us so we should take each blessing and happy moment when we can. Hopefully, your DH will take on this attitude.

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #836
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
absolutely gorgeous photos as usual! Your cousin's house is beautiful too! Looks like it turned out to be a nice day after all. Thanks again for sharing all the details - the good, bad and ugly!
Thanks! Yes, all in all, the beach day ended up being a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Glad to hear you got to see family, wish it could have been in WDW.
Ironically, I think my SIL was the one who ended up minding the drive more than anyone. And she was the one who my MIL had indicated we were changing the plans for!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Jumping in now, as I also have a DH who is a resister. He seems to be the opposite of your DH, as he complains, complains about having to go to WDW. He usually has a good time there, but then complains when we get back about money spent, time wasted etc. He's already complaining our upcoming trip will be a disaster with my parents coming along.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Also wanted to say how sorry I am about Chris' Aunt. She sounds like she was a great lady.
Thanks for posting and welcome! So sorry to hear that you can relate to my experiences with my resister.

Quote:
Well that is at least a postive sign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsouth View Post
Thank you so much for writing about your family's experiences! I truly appreciate reading about another WDW lover's experience at WDW with a resister. I am sorry your trip was dampened numerous times because of your DH's attitude.

Unfortunately, my own family trip last summer, 2009, was also dampened by my husband's attitude. We had some fun, happy times as a family to remember, but there were also lots of times he just put a wet blanet on things. He was constantly telling me that the trip was too long. We stayed 8 days. We have only gone once before as a family in 2005 and then once together before we had kids. His attitude on this trip was just a big old downer for me and the kids. So, I have vowed that the next time I go to WDW I am leaving him at home.

I can certainly understand your torn feelings about your next trip in October 2011. In ways, you would like him to be there, especially since his behavior and attitude might be a lot different with your close friends there with you. On the other hand, he might be just as annoying and a downer as usual while at WDW.

Your DH, like mine, might be a great guy, loving and lots of fun on a daily basis, but he just doesn't do well with the crowds and lines and just general chaos that a family trip brings. So, I think your idea of having him come down for just part of the trip is a good one. I also agree with having him stay behind at the resort too and just meeting up with you for evening activities.

As you have pointed out, you never know what life or death has in store for us so we should take each blessing and happy moment when we can. Hopefully, your DH will take on this attitude.
Thank you so much for posting, and welcome!

It really helps to know I am not alone in having a spouse whose lack of enthusiasm really puts a damper on many aspects of the trip. I hate that other people have to go through this too. But it is nice to know that we can comiserate!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #837
cdotla
Trish

Touring Hollywood Studios

After our day in Tampa and the Beach the day before, we were all up bright and early in order to get to Hollywood Studios for Rope Drop.

For breakfast we used some snack credits to get some amazing yogurt parfaits at the Beach Club Marketplace. I wish I had taken a picture of these - they were amazing. The kids also got some cereal and bananas, and we picked up a few waters for the road.

Then we were off to the boat dock to pick up a Friendship Boat to the Studios.

About 2 seconds after I took this picture, a strong wind gust blew off my MIL's hat, which ended up falling into Crescent Lake. After we all stopped laughing, we tried to retrieve it, but couldn't reach it. Fortunately, there were some super nice CMs on the dock, and one of them went through a lot of effort to retrieve it for us. What a great moment! Disney magic in full swing!

After a quick little boat ride, we were at the Gates for the Studios. Once again, my SIL and her sons needed to purchase new days to add onto their tickets. Since my SIL wasn't sure exactly how many days they would be spending in the Parks, she decided to pay as she went each day in order to keep their options open.

Unfortunately, my SIL had been convinced the day before that we were going to be capable of eating dinner with the cousins in Tampa and still making it back to WDW in time to tour a bit of World Showcase and see Illuminations. As it turned out, we didn't make it back in time and she ended up buying 3 Adult Park Hopping tickets just for the simple privilege of attending the Princess Breakfast in Norway.

As mentioned, even though I informed my MIL and SIL that it was going to take about 2 hours to get from WDW to the Beach, I don't think they believed me until we actually got there.

So once again, my SIL was forced to shell out close to $250 to add one more day onto her 3 tickets when we reached the HS Gates. By this point she had spent $660 on WDW park tickets and had only used them to gain entrance to Epcot in order to eat breakfast with the Princesses. And even then, she still got a bill at the end of the meal.

Of course I joked with her that the value of the tickets was in actually attending the Parks, and if she attended the Parks, she may change her mind on whether it was a good value or not.

Anyway, once all the ticket business was straightened out we made our way through the bag check and turnstiles and were at the back of the crowd for the rope drop...not exactly where I was hoping to be.

However, it was nice to see my SIL's reaction to the Park once we were inside. As we were walking up Hollywood Blvd, she was duly impressed. I lost count of how many "Wow"s I heard on that walk up the Blvd to the Hat.

Of course, we were on a mission for Toy Story Fastpasses, followed by the Toy Story Stand By line. In retrospect, we should have done one or the other. I got too greedy. By the time we got through the FastPass line, the stand by line was about 20 minutes long. And even worse, we never even returned to the attraction to use the FastPasses.

However, the 20 minute wait gave my family the time to look around and enjoy the que.

No one except me and Katie had experienced Toy Story Mania. Of course, everyone loved it!

Santa brought our family the Toy Story Wi game for Christmas, which is a family favourite. So Chris and Declan were both familiar with the games even though this was their first time on the ride.

The kids each rode with one of their cousins, and Chris & I paired up. Normally at these types of shooting games Chris always beats me hands down. However, this time **I** beat him!!! And quite handily I might add. Even though I know that there are "secrets" on how to achieve a high score in the game, I wasn't that hardcore to go and look them up. So it was all talent.

I honestly forget our scores (mental note to take a picture of the screen next time) but suffice to say I was feeling pretty proud having whipped my husband's butt on this shootout.

So far, it was a great start to the day for my SIL and nephews' first introduction to a WDW Park!

After Toy Story, we ventured down Sunset Blvd to the Tower of Terror.

At first Katie didn't want to ride. She last was on the Tower on her first trip back in 2007 when she was 4 years old and did not like it at all. She has never gone on it again during her last 3 trips to WDW. Given that she was now 7 years old, and it had been 3 whole years since her last ride, I thought she might actually enjoy it now and talked her into trying it again.

Big mistake. No dramatic tears or crying, but I could tell that I had a very scared little girl sitting beside me on this ride. I realized it as we were in the elevator, riding around through the hotel in the couple of minutes leading up to the 1st drop sequence, but of course, at this point there was nothing I could do. I so wished there was a way I could have stopped the ride and gotten off with her. Those couple of moments waiting for the 1st drop, when I knew full well what was coming, were awful. I felt terrible for having encouraged her to try it again. In future, I will gladly sit this one out with Katie if she doesn't want to ride it. She won't be doing it again unless she decides she wants to. (Suprisingly, we were listening to the 4 Parks, One World CD in our car the other day and she said that when we return next year she wants to try it again. So fortunately she hasn't been permanently scarred.)

However, the person in our family who may be scarred from this ride is poor DH. After we got off the ride, Chris showed me his forearm. He had fingernail marks from Katie all up his arm. He said that she squeezed her fingers into his arm each and every drop.

Of course, Declan loved the ride. As did the cousins. My MIL and SIL were a bit freaked out by it.

Here is our ride photo. My MIL, SIL and nephews are in the top left row and my family of 4 is in the 2nd row.

After Tower of Terror, we headed over to Rock 'N' Rollercoaster. I figured this would be an attraction that my nephews would like. Since Declan wasn't big enough to ride, my MIL volunteered to sit with him as she wasn't interested in riding anyway. However, Katie was still a bit spooked from the TOT. Even though she had been looking forward to RNRC, she decided to sit this one out. As I didn't want to leave both kids with my MIL, I told the rest of the family to go ahead and I would wait with the kids.

Chris of course loves this ride, and his sister and nephews did too.

By this point it was about 10:30-10:45am. And can you believe that my SIL was done for the day??? So with that...just 3 attractions and an hour and a half under our belt...the whole family was about to walk down Hollywood Blvd, out of the Park, and head back to the resort!!!

(Continued next post)

Last edited by cdotla; 07-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #838
cdotla
Trish

(Continued from last post)

At this point, I put my foot down. On our last trip in 2008 when Declan was almost 3 one of the things that we did not get to see was Lightening McQueen because he was down for a rehab. While I still intended to return to the Studios one more time before our trip was over, I wasn't taking any chances this trip. So I told DH that his family were free to head back to the resort if they wished, but that I was taking Declan to meet McQueen.

Fortunately, Chris decided to stay with us, so we bid the rest of his family goodbye, and ventured over to the Streets of America. I was so glad that we got to meet McQueen! There was practically no one ahead of us in line - we might have waited for 2-3 kids before Declan was finally able to meet McQueen and Mater! He was thrilled, as was I! We had waited a good 2 years for this meeting! And Declan was even wearing his Lightening McQueen outfit for the occasion.

And here is Katie. These are my pictures:

And the Photopass pictures:

I like mine better. However, I was kind of glad to get a couple more photopass pictures to better justify my pre-purchase of the CD. Sadly, these were the last ones for this trip.

Once we got our photos taken with McQueen & Mater, DH was ready for an exit. But it was only 11am!

With the help of Katie, on our way out of the Studios I was able to convince DH to stay for the Animation Class. This is probably Katie's favourite attraction/activity in the Studios, so I was pretty astute to mention to her on the way out of the Park that we hadn't gotten to it yet.

As it turned out, Chris actually quite enjoyed it, even though he was less than pleased to be drawing Minnie. He had voted for Stitch. (Should have known!)

Katie of course, loved it, and was even more thrilled to be drawing Minnie since she and I had the misfortune of having to draw Stitch on our last visit.

My drawing:

There was only one person in the family who didn't like the class too much:

By the time we were finished the class, it was nearing noon and Chris was done. Although we still hadn't seen my favourite attraction at the Studios (One Man's Dream), I knew I couldn't hold him there any longer.

So we headed out of the Park and onto a Friendship Boat for our Lunch reservation at LeCellier. Even though we were almost 1 1/2 hours early!

UP NEXT: Lunch in Canada...at Le Cellier!

Last edited by cdotla; 07-25-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #839
jagmom
Mouseketeer

Next post, next post!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #840
Dug-says-HI-THERE!
SQUIRREL !!!!

I'm hanging in suspense......

My next DISNEY adventure: UNKNOWN, cause we're EXPECTING!! APRIL 2011
1996 - WL:2000 - BWV:2001 - OKW:2005 - Disneyland/DCA (offsite):2005 - POFQ:Dec 2007 - BWV
Our DVC Home:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: