Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #661
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

That's great news. I've traveled with people who aren't good travelers (not to Disney, thankfully) and I think for some people there's an element of sensory overload that is hard to articulate, especially if you're an adult and you think you're beyond those sorts of things. And rather than being able to say "This is overwhelming, I'm uncomfortable, and I need to go back to the room" they get cranky and a little unpleasant. I'm not saying this is the case with your husband, just my own take on situations I've been in that sound similar.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place by going down early and having him join you. I'll definitely be signing up for that TR too. You're a really good writer!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #662
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

I like the new title!
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #663
ashleighbass06
DIS Veteran

So excited for you to have another trip on the horizon...I know for me at least, planning is like half the fun!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #664
annegirl
DIS Veteran

Yay! I'm so glad you get to go again!

I'm pretty sure I would go ahead for a few days and have him meet up later like you are suggesting. Good idea.
I would not have wanted to leave the bbq.. you are such a positive woman! I love your trip reports!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #665
katiebelle21
DIS Veteran

I am joining in a little late here! Congratulations on your tentative trip! I love your new title
Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #666
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

That sounds like a great trip! The party, F & G plus the race! Plus your friends! Sounds awesome. I don't blame you one bit for thinking about going down before your DH for a few days with the kids. My DH is not even a Disney Resister and I actually really enjoyed my time without him this past trip. He just doesn't "get it" like my boys and I do. So that sounds like a perfect solution. Go and have fun without him, and then it will be easier to have a different fun when he's there. Love the new title too!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #667
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

OH WOW!!!! A new trip I am so beyond thrilled for you!!

I think it is a great idea to get to WDW a little early. That way, you can enjoy time in the parks and time with your DH later.

Your friends look so nice (I remember her from your past TR). I am SO excited to follow along!! Also, wonderful new TR title. Love it
Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #668
edk35
DIS Veteran

YAY another trip. Good for you guys!!!!! I am happy that you have another to plan. It is also a great feeling having a new trip to plan..no matter how far off it is.

As I read your posts about your dh I have to still feel that he gets like my dh does too on trips AT TIMES. I posted to you way back many posts ago about this. My husband likes going, we own DVC but he will get in THESE MOODS that sometimes make me mad. I have to remember that we both have a LOVE for Disney but they are a different kind of LOVE for each of us. I am obsessed and he is NOT. Sure he enjoys the trips...we have been 16 times, but he doesn't have to let it consume him LIKE I DO.

I have finally figured out that when he is on vacation he wants it to BE A VACATION. Sometimes Disney trips become these COMMANDO trips with lots of schedules and ressies even when we factor in DOWN TIME. I think that my husband wants to WING it some on these trips....not always being ON THE SCHEDULE with stuff. He also needs to have RESORT time to chill. workout or do JUST NOTHING. He has a very busy high profile job and travels quite frequently...so he needs RELAXATION. So....it took many many years to figure this out and we have much better trips when we are NOT STAYING UP LATE, GETTING UP EARLY....FOLLOWING A SCHEDULE all the time. Sometimes I think he wants to STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES and I am running by the roses getting a whiff and moving on. I can also take the blame for this too because I am the PLANNER, THE SCHEDULER, THE TGM FOLLOWER and I run a tight DISNEY SHIP.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #669
Spartangirl
DIS Veteran

LOVE the new title!!! So glad to hear about your "new" trip!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #670
~tinkerbell~
Earning My Ears

Hi, I've been reading your trip report with interest because my husband is also always trying to call a moritorium on Disney. We are in a "break" right now but will be going again in a year or so. We handle it by taking turns. This year was his year to pick where we go on vacation and next year will be mine again, etc.

But my question to you is....I saw your view of Epcot from your Beach Club villa and I was wondering how in the world did you know to request that room? I have been trying to get ideas for view request for Wilderness Lodge Villas and not having much luck looking through the boards. From what I hear that may be because there really aren't great view from the Villas there. I was hoping for nice woods or lake view.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #671
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

so pleased you have another trip on the way!!
How is your friend's husband (Graham?) at WDW? maybe he & your husband will get along & enjoy the parks in a 'manly/non-disney geek' kinda way ?!

Food & Wine + Halloween is a wonderful time to go to Disney too! We went in October 2008 and loved it so much... parks seemed quiet (we went 5th to 12th), weather was perfect.... and to be there for 40th birthday too!

I hadn't really thought about it being the 40 year anniversary next year.. fingers crossed Disney does something wonderful to celebrate next year, sure they will!

Emma x
Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #672
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Yay for another trip
And I love the new TR title.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #673
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
WOW! I was not expecting that at all. But what a magical time of year to plan a trip.

I think you are wisely cautious, but also optimistic for better behaviour in the presence of others. Still, your pre-trip, trip, sounds very prudent (and we are only on day 3 of this TR lol!

Very exciting. I would LOVE to go to Disney with another family with kids around the same ages, it is just even that much more special for all the kids.
Thanks Cynthia! I am already looking forward to touring with all the kids. I can already picture that the girls will be pairing up together, and the boys will be pairing up together to do a lot of the rides.

I think it will be a very nice change for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Love the new title Trish!

Congrats on having a trip on the horizon, I hope it all works out. I think going ahead of your DH and enjoying the things that you like to do before he gets there sounds like a fabulous idea
Yes, I will have to see how it all works out. Whatever happens, I learned some very good lessons on this trip so I think I will be better prepared for solo travelling with the kids if the circumstances dictate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
Wow! Exciting!! ANOTHER Disney trip! Sounds like a great time of year for you to go and you'll get to be with friends too. Bonus!
I am already looking forward to it! Great to have another trip in the works...even if it is over 14 months away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Great News about the new Disney Trip and the fun of planning a new trip.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_wdw View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming trip!

I think it's fantastic that you'll be laying down the law to ensure that everyone is able to have a good time.
Thank you! I learned a lot on this trip of what I don't want on our next trip, that is for sure!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #674
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw127 View Post
That's great news. I've traveled with people who aren't good travelers (not to Disney, thankfully) and I think for some people there's an element of sensory overload that is hard to articulate, especially if you're an adult and you think you're beyond those sorts of things. And rather than being able to say "This is overwhelming, I'm uncomfortable, and I need to go back to the room" they get cranky and a little unpleasant. I'm not saying this is the case with your husband, just my own take on situations I've been in that sound similar.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place by going down early and having him join you. I'll definitely be signing up for that TR too. You're a really good writer!
Thank you!

Hmmmm....that is interesting about the sensory overload. I never thought of that. I think once the crowd and heat levels also reach a certain level it is game over for DH, no matter where he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I like the new title!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighbass06 View Post
So excited for you to have another trip on the horizon...I know for me at least, planning is like half the fun!
I completely agree! Even though it is a long ways off, I love having a trip on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annegirl View Post
Yay! I'm so glad you get to go again!

I'm pretty sure I would go ahead for a few days and have him meet up later like you are suggesting. Good idea.
I would not have wanted to leave the bbq.. you are such a positive woman! I love your trip reports!
Thank you so much!!! I also think the idea of me and the kids going hard for a couple of days at the start of the trip is a great idea! Then by the time DH arrives we can chill and hang at the Beach Club, where I am sure we will end up staying during the time that DH is there if he gets his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebelle21 View Post
I am joining in a little late here! Congratulations on your tentative trip! I love your new title
Thanks so much for posting, and Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
That sounds like a great trip! The party, F & G plus the race! Plus your friends! Sounds awesome. I don't blame you one bit for thinking about going down before your DH for a few days with the kids. My DH is not even a Disney Resister and I actually really enjoyed my time without him this past trip. He just doesn't "get it" like my boys and I do. So that sounds like a perfect solution. Go and have fun without him, and then it will be easier to have a different fun when he's there. Love the new title too!
Yes, I think the extra days at the start of the trip will be a perfect compromise.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #675
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

I'm so happy for you with your trip next October!!! Yay!

My DH does not like talking about the trip or even planning but once he's there, it's all about Disney! Lol. I bet your DH will NOT abandon plans because you will be with your DFs.

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: