Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #1636
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I think you made the right move enjoying the pool instead of LMA, those stands are soooooooo HOT! I remember just melting up there one time in September. Ugh. And then there is a fire in the show, which just makes it hotter. Cool show, but not nearly as enjoyable on a hot day. Sounds like a lovely time poolside! I love all the pics of your DD jumping in over and over again.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #1637
wendy3
Mouseketeer

bump
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1638
pinkle
DIS Veteran

Day 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #1639
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Despite the heat, it sounds like you made the most of you day at DHS and BCR. Building your own lightsabre is also something my DS LOVES to do. And it is a great way to spend a hot afternoon inside...
Hey there! Yes, it certainly was a great way to spend our last day. And I was really glad the kids were able to build their light sabers. Unplanned, but very enjoyable!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdesOmarch View Post
I think you would love Universal just as much as Disney, I know I do. They are both on the same level as far as theming, level of detail etc. A lot of universal is really like "riding in the movie." It kind of puts you in the movies. Other parts like in Islands of Adventure where Harry Potter is, a whole different level of theming. In IOA, like in the Jurassic Park island, it is really like visiting the island out of the movie, Harry Potter area same thing, you will feel like you actually visited Hogwarts.

U has a reputation for some as just being a roller coaster park like Six Flags but it's not at all, much more like Disney just different, some think even better. They each have their own brand and kind of magic, just in different ways. U has one advantage with the getting to the front of all the lines, so no waits, with your hotel room key. That is what converted mine, no waiting in line!
I will definitely keep an open mind about Universal. I am sure someday we will get there, but probably not until the kids get to the age where Harry Potter would appeal to them.

The morning after the newest Harry Potter film was released a few months ago, we had tickets to attend for a special event at the theatre. We lasted about 10-15 minutes. Once one of the characters was placed on the conference table and the snake started to eat her, we were outta there. She really, really didn't like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscharming View Post
Hey Trish. I'm guessing the cost of building a light saber depends on how elaborate the kids make it. But what's the price range for building one? I'm sure my kids will want one.
I actually found the cost of building a life saber was one of the best deals in the Park. I believe it was $19.95 for a single life saber, or $24.95 for a double. We went with the doubles (meaning they had 2 lighted ends, not just one). However, if you ask me, the single ones look more authentic. (I don't ever recall seeing the double ended ones in the movies...although I only ever saw the original trilogy, and that was back in the 80's.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarling View Post
"Before our trip, I had purchased a beautiful carriage pendant shaped like Cinderella's stagecoach. I got the idea from a great Disser, the very resourceful and clever RinkyTinky".

This was in the part of about the pearls in Japan. Did you purchase this to put a pearl in?? If so, do you have a picture? Still working on reading your trip report. It is great!!
Yes....we did purchase the pendant to hold the pearl. I don't have a photo of it with the pearl inside but I will try to remember to take one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great updates!!

I could sure use some Florida sun right now....woke up to -35 temps this morning....

I love those pics from the pool....it shows how you can have a true vacation....a little park time, a little pool time and dinner at an awesome restaurant...can't wait to hear how you like Narcosseee's....I gave up our ADR to my sis and her hubby for their anniversary in September
You are one good sister Queenie!!! Narcoossees was an excellent meal. In fact, it was such a great experience that Chris walked out of the restaurant saying "I'd stay here" on our next trip...meaning the GF. That boy just has no sense of the cost of things, and I didn't bother filling him in!

While I wld love to stay at the GF at least once, for my money, I much prefer the Poly.

Anyway, I should have the Narcoossees segment up sometime this weekend. I have to sit in a ski lodge tommorrow while the kiddos are in their lessons, so I may bring the laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Your day at SAB and the BCV pool looks lovely! It's hard to head to a park when you have access to SAB.
You are right. The pools certainly cause strict competition with the parks for my crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your pictures make me want to be at the BC right now. The quiet pool looks like a great choice. I can't wait for my visit there in May. Cute pictures of the kids!
May will be here before you know it! You are in for such a treat!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #1640
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Great updates!

I love the picture of your daughter at SciFi. And I agree with you. Even though not every Disney restaurant has amazing food, it is not bad either. My only problem with SciFi, to tell you the truth, is the seating arrangements.

I can totally understand your panic over "losing" your daughter at the playground. I hate when I lose sight of mine.

And the pictures of your daughter jumping in the pool are priceless. You certainly got to register some great moments during your vacation.

Q
Thanks Queila!

That playground can be a bit of a panick-inducer, that is for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Hi Trish,
Happy New year! Great update and pics as always. Yikes on the server at Sci Fi Dine Inn Not feeling the Disney magic I guess. I loved your HISTK playground pics! I agree though it gets quite stressful when you lose your kids in there. Looks like your kids enjoyed the afternoon swim, love their matching swimsuits too. I never even saw that quiet pool by the villas, we always swam at SAB. It was the highlight of the trip for the kids, though the games/ pool party was usually quite loud! Luckily finding a lounger was never a problem for us , unlike Poly where there is no room to swim. Looking forward to your next update at one of my favorite places for dinner
Hey Nichole! Happy New Year to you too!!!

The BCV quiet pool is actually on the front of the building. It is a very nice area, and a great place to enjoy some more relaxed pool time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Ya, I've already resigned myself to the fact that they'll be begging to swim in the pool! My only ray of hope is that we're going the end of January so maybe, just maybe it'll be too cold to swim! Ok, that probably won't happen. It'll probably be 80 and sunny everyday!

I just read about HISTK playground on someone else's TR and they said the same thing you did! It's too easy to lose your kiddos and mine, particularly my DD7 tend to wander on playgrounds so I think I'll pass!

I have to say, I'm impressed by your New Years Eve party! I should've invited myself over, lol! Ok, I'd never do that but it sounds like you planned an incredible evening. This was the 1st year ever that my 3DD's managed to stay up till midnight. They thought it was awesome and then right after they said 'now what?' I told them it was time to go to bed. I think they were a bit let down by that answer!

I'm glad you had a great New Years, looking forward to your next update!
That is too funny about your daughters' reaction at midnite! Believe it or not, Chris also let Katie stay outside with him until midnite as well. It was a wonderfully warm nite, no wind or breeze to speak of even though we are right on the ocean, which was perfect for our fireworks. We had a little fire going during the fireworks and Chris kept it up even after most of the guests left. Most everyone left by 10:30, after we celebrated our pretend midnite at about 9:30pm. Then Declan and I headed to bed, (I was beat!) but Katie and Chris stayed outside until midnite. It was a big treat for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillerguy View Post
Just got caught up on your trip report again. I think we could be best friends if you lived in South Carolina. my hubby is so much like yours. Healthy, great fun Dad and taked Disney great in small doses. Imagine living only 8 hour drive away. I am taking our children son9 and daughter 6 by myself this April. Husband said he is going to work in Orlando and may join us a few days. I also love the Poly. Beach club was great too. Contemporary we enjoyed for Halloween! We also like the same resterants but now I am wanting to try Coral Reef and Jiko. Can't wait to hear about Narcosse's. DH and I have been trying to plan a trip for this summer to somewhere and keep coming back to Disney. It is just so easy for us. THNAKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT TRIP REPORT. Wish I had the patience to do one.

When is your next trip planned for with the family?
Hey there! We actually do sound like we have many similarities! What a beautiful part of the country you are living in - Chris and I both adore SC. Greenville and Raleigh in particular...I could live there quite easily!

I highly recommend you put Jiko and Coral Reef on the list for one of your next trips. CR is probably more kid friendly, especially if you are travelling solo with the kids. However, I also wouldn't hesitate to take the kids to Jiko by myself as it is nice to walk the resort and look out on the savanna after the meal. Maybe if you husband can join you for some of the trip, you could plan to do Jiko then. It is a great meal for adults - quite a treat!

As for our next trip, we are actually ironing out all of the details as we speak. I will fill you in on all the details soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
I'm not Trish, but my kids are huge Star Wars fans so we have done this before. The light sabers can be built in DHS, Downtown Disney and even Magic Kingdom. It costs around $20 for a single light saber and more if you do a double light saber. It came with batteries and the CM's are very helpful.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangaFan View Post
Just joining--I thought I was the only one with the Disney resistant husband and I swear I have that same pick somewhere of my DH, looking thrilled to be posing for pics.

Although I was initially interested to see how you got him to do so many great trips, I'm really enjoying your TR & have picked up a couple of other great, non-husband related tips.

We're leaving in a little over 2 weeks, so I appreciate the distraction DH runs screaming from the room when I mention Disney at this point. So thanks & keep up the great report.
Welcome, and thanks so much for posting!

That is too funny about your DH running from the room screaming whenever the topic of Disney comes up. I can totally relate to that one! According to my DH, no matter what he does, he can't escape the topic.

All the best in your final countdown to your trip....have a good one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie1042 View Post
Waiting for the next chapter. I have the same husband.
Too funny! It is amazing how many of us there are!!! I would not have known until I started writing this TR!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #1641
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
That is too funny about your daughters' reaction at midnite! Believe it or not, Chris also let Katie stay outside with him until midnite as well. It was a wonderfully warm nite, no wind or breeze to speak of even though we are right on the ocean, which was perfect for our fireworks. We had a little fire going during the fireworks and Chris kept it up even after most of the guests left. Most everyone left by 10:30, after we celebrated our pretend midnite at about 9:30pm. Then Declan and I headed to bed, (I was beat!) but Katie and Chris stayed outside until midnite. It was a big treat for her.
They thought it was very cool to stay up that late but were pretty disappointed that once midnight hit, they had to go to bed! I was exhausted myself anyway.

Your party sounds fabulous and what a good idea to have a mock midnight so that you wouldn't have to stay up so late! I just might steal that idea for next year!

DH said the sweetest words to me the other night. Want to know what they were?? He said 'honey, I can't wait till we get to Disney!' Ah, music to my ears! I just know your DH will come around too!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #1642
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I think you made the right move enjoying the pool instead of LMA, those stands are soooooooo HOT! I remember just melting up there one time in September. Ugh. And then there is a fire in the show, which just makes it hotter. Cool show, but not nearly as enjoyable on a hot day. Sounds like a lovely time poolside! I love all the pics of your DD jumping in over and over again.
Hmmm....I have heard about the heat in those stands from a number of people now. I hope the kids (and Chris!) will be able to tolerate it on our next trip.

Chris and I actually saw the show back in 1998, but I haven't been back since. I don't really remember how hot it was to be honest. Oh well... we will just have to hope for the best, as I really think Declan will like the show. He is a hot wheels and car fanatic, so this wld be right up his alley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
Day 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Day 10??? I still have to finish Day 9!

I really do try to post as often as I can. However, as anyone who has ever written a TR knows, it takes a LOT longer to write them than it does to read them. That is why I try to never read someone else's trip report without posting feedback for them.

I love writing my TRs. It is great creative outlet and form of relaxation. Plus, it is the perfect way to relive a trip and preserve your memories. But sometimes life interferes with how often I can post. And other days I simply don't feel like posting, or I am not feeling any creative juices. I try not to put pressure on myself to write so that it never starts feeling like a chore as opposed to a pleasure.

That said, I "should" have an update up this weekend.

Last edited by cdotla; 01-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #1643
Kellyh123
DIS Veteran

I have really enjoyed your trip report. I loved your family pictures.
I am very lucky my husband is good sport about Disney. My son really doesn't get into Disney but my daughter loves it like I do. Right after college she did the college program. She worked on Space Mountain. Now she is in law school and goes back seasonally to work. So I have someone who shares that love of Disney.
Thanks so much for sharing your trip!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #1644
pinkle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I really do try to post as often as I can. However, as anyone who has ever written a TR knows, it takes a LOT longer to write them than it does to read them. That is why I try to never read someone else's trip report without posting feedback for them.

I love writing my TRs. It is great creative outlet and form of relaxation. Plus, it is the perfect way to relive a trip and preserve your memories. But sometimes life interferes with how often I can post. And other days I simply don't feel like posting, or I am not feeling any creative juices. I try not to put pressure on myself to write so that it never starts feeling like a chore as opposed to a pleasure.

That said, I "should" have an update up this weekend.

Take your time! I just love reading your reports!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #1645
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Love the pool pictures! It's fun to see kids being kids!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #1646
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyh123 View Post
I have really enjoyed your trip report. I loved your family pictures.
I am very lucky my husband is good sport about Disney. My son really doesn't get into Disney but my daughter loves it like I do. Right after college she did the college program. She worked on Space Mountain. Now she is in law school and goes back seasonally to work. So I have someone who shares that love of Disney.
Thanks so much for sharing your trip!
Hey there...thanks for posting! And you are right - you *are* lucky. It is so great when you can share your Disney enthusiasm with others who "get it", and if they happen to live in the same house as you, well that really is fantastic!

I so wish I had done the Disney college program way back when. It wld have been such a great opportunity! I really hope both my kids do it and become Canadian pavillion CMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
Take your time! I just love reading your reports!!!!!
Thank you! I should have an update this weekend, and I should get to Day 10 by next weekend. Thanks for hanging in there with me and understanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Love the pool pictures! It's fun to see kids being kids!!!

Amanda
Thanks Amanda! It was hysterical seeing how the pool just completely brought my daughter "back to life".
Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #1647
cdotla
Trish

Dinner at Narcoossees

After soaking up every possible ray of sunshine we could, it was finally time to drag ourselves upstairs to our room and start getting ready for dinner.

Tonite we were dining at Narcoossee's - the Grand Floridian's signature dining restaurant. I had heard many great reviews, and even better, none of us had ever been, so this was a completely new experience.

Chris dropped us off at the front entrance and went to park the car. I had only done valet here in the past using our Tables in Wonderland card, but since it expired I figured we would self-park. Now if Chris had any idea how far away he would have to go to park, he likely would have shelled out the $12 for valet parking!

While we were waiting, I took the opportunity to take some photos of the kids. The entrance to the GF, with the carriage and old-fashioned car is always a favorite place to hang out for the kids.

Then, we made our way into the gorgeous lobby, and out through the sidedoor to the pool area and surrounding gardens.

Finally Chris caught up with us and we started to make our way to the restaurant. Narcoossee's is located in a separate small and elegant building right on the water at the end of the Grand Floridian resort. It is a beautiful building, especially at dusk when it is lit up so nicely.

(Photo:wdwinfo.com)

We were promptly shown to our table when we arrived and took our seats. This was our view:

As the trip was coming to an end quickly, this was such a nice way to spend our second last night. Our service here was absolutely impeccable. Throughout the meal we had the honor and privilege of being served by not only an outstanding Cast Member, but an original opening day Cast Member. Yes, you heard right. Our amazing server has been a Cast Member since opening day at the Magic Kingdom in 1971!!! As there are only a handful of original Cast Members left on property, it was an absolute thrill to meet him.

Over the course of our meal Harvey filled us in on many of the jobs he has held at Walt Disney World since opening day. His story was absolutely incredible. Even his wife at one point was a long-term Cast Member (she is now retired). Harvey advised us that out of all of his jobs, he has most enjoyed working at Narcoossee's and will likely stay here until he retires. Apparently it is a highly sought-after position, so if you dine here, you are likely going to be served by some of Disney's finest Cast Members.

The hardest part of our evening that night was deciding what to order. For starters, I was thrilled to discover that the restaurant featured a wine from the Silverado winery operated by Diane Disney Miller and Ron Miller.

Unfortunately, they didn't sell this by the glass, and I couldn't quite bring myself to purchase the $85 bottle. Instead, I contented myself with the Fess Parker Reisling. (Incidentally, you can purchase the Silverado Fantasia wine directly from the winery for $50: http://www.silveradovineyards.com/wi...ique_bottlings)

After our orders were placed, it was time to sit back and relax. Fortunately the kids were just excellent this meal, and since we had an early reservation, at least half the other tables were also filled with children.

For appetizers, each of the kids had a fruit plate. And although the entree selections included filet mignon, or freshly grilled fish, what do they each order but macaroni and cheese and a cheeseburger!

For our appetizers, Chris went with the artisanal cheese plate, which was fantastic and I choose the Prince Edward Island mussels - a little something from back home. Just fabulous!

But wait...it gets even better. For entrees, I chose the grilled salmon and asparagus, topped with caviar. Divine!

Chris had the surf and turf - two twin medallions of filet mignon and a butter-poached lobster tail. (And at $59 for his entree alone, anyone who doesn't believe the deluxe dining plan is worth it should check out our receipts!)

(Continued next post)

Last edited by cdotla; 01-15-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #1648
cdotla
Trish

(Continued from last post)

After our fabulous meals, it was soon time for coffee and dessert.

The kids were in for a real treat as the restaurant served amazing Nemo cupcakes. Not only did they look great, but they tasted good too!

Chris chose the chocolate mousse and quite enjoyed it.

It was a tough call for me, but I ended up following Harvey's advise and ordered the strawberry shortcake. I was glad that I did.

After our thoroughly enjoyable meal, we bid farewell to Harvey and started walking back through the resort. It was at this point that I actually heard my husband discussing a future return trip. I believe his exact words were something along the lines of "Yeah, I'd stay here".

After we established that the Grand Floridian was good enough for Chris, I wanted to ensure that we preserved the memories of that evening, so we stopped to take some more photos before it got too dark.

By this point it was getting kind of dark outside, but the kids still wanted to stay outside and play. Chris, being the great Dad that he is, offered to hold Katie's doll.

Finally, we went into the Main Lobby area and stopped for a bit to enjoy the band that was playing from the balcony.

I shopped for a bit in some of my favorite stores, and then it was time to head back home to the Beach Club. As soon as we returned, the kids were begging for one last swim in Stormalong Bay before we left the next morning. While I had hoped to walk over to Epcot to see Illuminations and to stay for the Extra Magic Hours evening, we decided to do exactly what the kids wanted. So for the third time that day, we changed into our swimsuits and made our way over to the Pool.

Without a doubt, the kids had the best idea of the day. We ended up swimming in the lazy river portion of Stormalong Bay around one of the bridges for the boardwalk. The four of us had a complete blast in the water, playing games, relaxing in the warm water, and feeling the sand bottom beneath our feet. To plus the experience even more, from where we were positioned in the pool, we were able to see the screening of The Princess and the Frog from the beach, and we started singing and dancing in the pool to the music, which we love.

There was a steady stream of traffic walking over us on the bridge, including a number of people pedalling by on surrey bikes, and we exchanged pleasantries with many of them. I also observed quite a few onlookers looking at us rather enviously as they saw us splashing around in the pool having the time of our lives.

Just when I thought our final night at the Beach Club couldn't get much better, Illuminations started going off. From our position in the pool we were able to observe not only the fireworks, but also The Princess and the Frog movie playing on the Beach at the same time!!!

It was the happiest, most content feeling I have ever experienced at Disney, and I owe it all to my kids.

UP NEXT: Goodbye Beach Club....Hello Poly!

Last edited by cdotla; 01-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #1649
Kellyh123
DIS Veteran

We ate at Narcoossee's on Christmas Eve on our last trip. It was a very good meal and I loved the view from the restaurant. Sounds like your evening was awesome.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #1650
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

It was the happiest, most content feeling I have ever experienced at Disney, and I owe it all to my kids.

UP NEXT: Goodbye Beach Club....Hello Poly!
Oh Trish! What a great update and magical night all around, it sounds like just a perfect moment in time, all of it. The kind that gets you through.

Love the pictures.

WTG Katie and Declan and WTG Trish and Chris for listening to them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: