Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #136
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the dessert party was a success after all! Looking at your pictures has me fondly remembering that creme brulee - it was soooo good!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #137
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR so far, looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more!
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #138
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Nice Review. Bummer about the family...but...as they say you can choose your friends but not your family.
I can see the appeal and I certainly think given the 'event' you added to it that makes it more special.
Now I'm confused...you say there is a cookie in this image

But it is so SMALL! I've never seen an American Cookie so small!

Anyway...I love the photos and the review...it is the most 'infomative' (and drool causing) review I've seen.
I ADORE Dessert...and could easily have had more than my share from the offerings...but...
I've become an Illuminations girl and would rather eat at the Rose and Crown with a view of Illuminations than the Wishes Dessert Party...

As for BCV...I'm so glad you loved it. It is a really beautiful resort that is for sure. :
We spent a night there and I would recommend it to people, but it wasn't my favourite resort...which I will admit surprised me a little. I rank it higher than Boardwalk (which again surprised me) but I fell in love with BLT and OKW....and AKV.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #139
manntra
DIS Veteran

So.....I take it the three of you went?
I would have been talking through clenched teeth Of all the things to cancel on.... I had contemplated doing this also but I didn't.....know I wish I did!! Personally I think it is a great view....I watch it from wherever I happen to be and never stake out a place far ahead of time...although I would most likely do that for MNSSHP....I missed a lot of seeing the castle when I saw those fireworks.
October really is a wonderful time of the year to visit you know

Tracy
Old 06-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #140
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Yummi Yummi Yum-oooo So just a few questions,what's the cost pp and what time did they let you in, how long were you there and was the desserts etc all you could eat & was it out the whole time? Okay guess that was more than a few questions I personally wouldn't let the noise or smoke keep you out of your dream home..I might be leery of the mote though, alligators & such

Ruthie
I think it was about $22.95 or $23.95 for an adult, which includes tax and tip. The terrace opened at 8 pm; or an hour before the fireworks start time. When you book, you are allocated an arrival time - we got 8.10 pm; but we were queuing up at about 7.50pm with EVERYONE else, who also ignored the staggered arrival time. They opened at 8 on the dot and we were seated within 5 minutes. The desserts were all you can eat and the CM kept refreshing the selection.

I personally hit the buffet table about 3 or 4 times between 8 and 8.45 pm. A couple of my favourite selections might have been "empty" when I got there; but the CM would come out and refresh it before I left the buffet table.

When the fireworks were over, there was still *some* desserts left on the buffet, but I guess they must stop refreshing it at around 9 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So where do they do the dessert party? That might be something fun to try for us when we finally get back there again....
The do the dessert party at the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. It was a lot of fun for us.

WDW also do something similar at Epcot for Illuminations. But I think the dessert party at Epcot is only for Grand Gatherings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Thanks so much for the offer regarding the pancake mold! Believe it or not, I actually picked it up off ebay earlier this week. I found someone selling it for $9.95, plus $4 shipping to Canada. (As I recall, it was about $9 in the Parks anyway, so I don't think I could have gotten it much cheaper!)

Can't wait to try it!

And you are right! We had talked about our stays at the BCV before we left. We checked out on May 8, so we didn't overlap at all. We just warmed the place up for you!
Fantastic! If you do try it, I'd love to hear how it went or see photos..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Sorry to hear you weren't doing so well the last day of your stay at POR. At least it sounds like you picked up when you hit the BC!

I am glad you took the stroll over to the AB section before you left so you no longer felt bad about being in the Mansions.

Isn't the BC nice???? I had stayed at the Yacht Club in 2008 during a legal conference...right then and there I knew I had to return.

I loved the YC when I was there, but definitely enjoyed the Beach Club more. I much prefer the decor in the lobby and styling of the rooms.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your stay there!

I can't believe your bad luck with your family wanting to pull out of the Dessert Party. However it sounds like at least with your nephew there was a good reason for it. At least it all worked out, and hopefully he was able to enjoy himself after his sickness passed before the party.

Thanks for the review of the dessert party. Not sure if I would ever try it. An Illuminations dessert party seems much more up my alley. My only problem is hitting WDW when I can catch an invitation to one!

Looking forward to more!
We loved BCV. We actually just wanted to relax at the resort around the pool more than being at the parks..

I would have liked to have done the Illuminations dessert party as well - but we tried something else instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferkeala808 View Post
Awww sorry to hear about the family...I think the main thing was that THE THREE OF YOU WERE DEFINITELY GOING...right?! LOL!great pics from the WDP and of Wishes!!!
Mmmmmm...maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Yes, I think you're right. The main thing was that the THREE OF US were DEFINITELY GOING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Sounds like the dessert party was a success after all! Looking at your pictures has me fondly remembering that creme brulee - it was soooo good!
Yes, I'm glad it worked out in the end with the extended family. The creme brulee was good, wasn't it? YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Loving your TR so far, looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more!
Thanks! I'm working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Nice Review. Bummer about the family...but...as they say you can choose your friends but not your family.
I can see the appeal and I certainly think given the 'event' you added to it that makes it more special.
Now I'm confused...you say there is a cookie in this image

But it is so SMALL! I've never seen an American Cookie so small!

Anyway...I love the photos and the review...it is the most 'infomative' (and drool causing) review I've seen.
I ADORE Dessert...and could easily have had more than my share from the offerings...but...
I've become an Illuminations girl and would rather eat at the Rose and Crown with a view of Illuminations than the Wishes Dessert Party...

As for BCV...I'm so glad you loved it. It is a really beautiful resort that is for sure. :
We spent a night there and I would recommend it to people, but it wasn't my favourite resort...which I will admit surprised me a little. I rank it higher than Boardwalk (which again surprised me) but I fell in love with BLT and OKW....and AKV.
I did contemplate doing a lot more resort hopping during our 10 day stay - maybe next time. We loved our stay at BCV and for us it was perfect because of the location as we were hanging out at Epcot a lot.

I'd love to try BLT next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
So.....I take it the three of you went?
I would have been talking through clenched teeth Of all the things to cancel on.... I had contemplated doing this also but I didn't.....know I wish I did!! Personally I think it is a great view....I watch it from wherever I happen to be and never stake out a place far ahead of time...although I would most likely do that for MNSSHP....I missed a lot of seeing the castle when I saw those fireworks.
October really is a wonderful time of the year to visit you know

Tracy
In the end, all 9 of us went. My poor nephew threw up as we were waiting in line (thankfully the restrooms are just right there); but he was fine afterwards.

Yes, I started a "might not be returning" PTR last night for October....still thinking about whether I add a "not going" ticker . I'm still not keen to fly all the way to the US for only 3 days; but I'll have to wait for DH to sort things out with his work before making a decision.
Having said that, it would be nice to go to the Food and Wine festival; and see if I can catch MNSSHP. How are your plans going for October?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 06-12-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #141
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the answers about the Dessert Party...I really have to stop looking in on your thread when I am hungry though I think I drool on the keyboard....I still keep thinking about that decadent "free straw" down at DTD

I think it is calling my name.....R...u...t...h...i..e......Sharon says come here !

HI to DH & DS.....hope you will come in October

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #142
kschafer
DIS Veteran

thanks for letting me relive the dessert party through you because I am a LONG way from there in my own TR

I agree, it was a fun special treat. I'm not sure I would have paid for my entire family to go but it was worth it for me only for the experience!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #143
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Thanks for all the answers about the Dessert Party...I really have to stop looking in on your thread when I am hungry though I think I drool on the keyboard....I still keep thinking about that decadent "free straw" down at DTD

I think it is calling my name.....R...u...t...h...i..e......Sharon says come here !

HI to DH & DS.....hope you will come in October
R...u...t...h...i..e......E..a..t.. me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
thanks for letting me relive the dessert party through you because I am a LONG way from there in my own TR

I agree, it was a fun special treat. I'm not sure I would have paid for my entire family to go but it was worth it for me only for the experience!
I'm waiting for you to move your TR along, like the rest of your fans!

And yes, I'm now 100% sure that I will not pay for my entire family to go to the Dessert Party again !! Once was enough

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 06-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #144
PrincessInOz
in

Day 6 - MK experience for the ‘locals’

We pretty much left the Terrace as soon as the fireworks were over. We might have missed out on seeing the fireworks with the castle bang in the middle; but we had experienced this view at WDW and DLR before….

(Picture taken June 2005)

The kids wanted to hit BuzzLightyear’s Space Ranger Spin again. And DS was keen to get on it with us.

Needless to say, I whooped everyone again.

By this time the extended family had pretty much had enough and said their goodbyes. We agreed to meet in DHS in the morning – the only theme park we hadn’t yet visited this trip.

It was nearly 10 pm and DH and I still had 9 snack credits to spend before midnight. We contemplated making our way to DTD and Goofy’s Candy store. On the way out, we stopped by Main Street and the bakery – just in case there were items there that we were happy to swap our snacks for.

And it was in there, whilst I was queuing that I overheard some other people talking. I realized that I had forgotten a key fact. Today was Sunday and MK was opened to resort guests for another 3 hours! When I told DH and DS, they were both up for the experience.

We had never stayed on site before and this was officially our first experience of a Disney perk for the ‘locals’. And what a perk it turned out to be for us!!

On top of finding out that we had 3 bonus hours, we also found a number of snacks at the Main Street Bakery that we were happy to trade for our snack credits.

I know we saw a number of turtles in the Everglades, but this is my all-time favourite turtle – macadamia flavour.

We also picked up some cinnamon rolls, that we had for breakfast on one of the mornings at BCV. Even though it was a couple of days later, we warmed them up in the microwave and they were AMAZING!

We then headed to Guest Relations and left our package there for us to pick up on the way out.

After a quick family conference, we decided on the rules for the night. We were going to get on any rides all 3 of us wanted to get on. We also decided on a “no photograph” policy for the rest of the night….so, apologies for the lack of pictures (but I’ve obviously cheated and substituted with ones that I found from 5 years ago).

We headed for Adventureland and hit Pirates of the Caribbean. In our visits to date and because there were a heap more people at the parks than anticipated, we hadn’t quite made our way to POC. On this night, all we had to do was flash our local i.d. card and we were able to walk straight on.
We were pleased to find that DS enjoyed the ride. He has previously been on the ride 5 years ago and also at DL; but this was the first time he has enjoyed it without being scared.

DH and I contemplated doing the Jungle Cruise – but DS was keen on a bigger thrill.

So, it was on to Frontierland. We had all decided to avoid the nearby waterfall as we didn’t want to walk around with wet clothes for the rest of the night.

So, we headed out to the local scenic railway instead. We flashed our local card i.d. and were allowed to walk straight on again!

DS really loved this ride. So we did the ride again….and again…..and again. Yes, we did this ride 4 times in a row and every single time, we walked straight on. You really gotta love EMH when it works like this!

We walked through Liberty Square, where I was keen to go to the creepy looking grand mansion. Sadly, neither DH nor DS were brave enough to step in the Haunted Mansion. So, we kept going to Fantasyland.

It was also walk straight on to It’s a Small World and we almost had a boat to ourselves; except for two very quick people that jumped on at the last minute. I still think it's full of American Girl Dolls but no one would sell me one!

We then made a beeline for the elephant ride. It might have been past 11.00 pm; but there were still heaps of people (and kids) queuing for Dumbo. We had to wait 20 minutes to get on – but it is one of DS (and my) favourite rides. We just love riding it together and fighting over who gets to move the switch!

(Picture taken June 2005. DS is not happy because I won the switch fight that time!)

We looked at Peter Pan and the stand-by wait time was 50 minutes. We got in line and queued for about 10 minutes before I realized that I had picked up some fast passes earlier and still had them on me. We immediately jumped out of stand-by and into the fast pass line. We managed to get on the ride within 10 minutes. I know it’s not one of the big rollercoaster rides and it is a little bit dated; but I just love looking down on London and seeing Big Ben and the Thames.

DS and I wanted to go on the Tea Cups again but DH wasn’t keen on being spun round; so we moved on.

We broke the ‘no photography’ rule walking through the castle.

It was really nice to have the place to ourselves without the crowds that were there this week.

Then it was time for Tomorrowland where we got on the Speedway (twice).

We also went on BLSRS again (I still whooped the boys and for the record I’ve averaged somewhere between 400,000 and 450,000 this trip for this ride. Not stellar by any stretch of the imagination; but enough for the boys and the extended family to know who is the family queen of this ride) and by this stage, it was near closing time for the locals.

We contemplated doing Space Mountain before leaving – DS had never been on this ride before and he wasn’t sure that he wanted to go on it, so we didn’t push it and decided it was time to go.

We had pretty much hit all our favourites at MK today and thanks to Pixie Dust Wishes and Extra Magic Hours, it ended up being a GREAT day afterall.

[Up next – Cape May characters and DHS]

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 06-13-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #145
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

I love turtles! They are the freaking best! We stayed at DL till suppppper late last year. It didn't rain and it was really nice. I kind of regreated it though because we were so tired the next morning I had to let DH sleep until noon. He was done. So I think I would take advantage of the EMH more...

I love your food porn! Haha!

Did you get the cook book? I did...I still haven't made anything out of there yet but I'm working on it. I want to make Lemon Grass Risotto maybe I should blog about the trials of making Disney Food haha!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #146
kschafer
DIS Veteran

I got one of those macadamia clusters too. I would have liked the nuts to have been salted but they were delicious!

Sounds like you had a great night, we got so much done on our EMH night!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #147
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

What a great night! You guys got so much done. I love BTMRR at night, it seems faster or something, I know it's not, but it feels like it is! Next trip I'm determined to close down the MK on an EMHs night with my boys, I think it would be so much fun to be in the park so late.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #148
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
I love turtles! They are the freaking best! We stayed at DL till suppppper late last year. It didn't rain and it was really nice. I kind of regreated it though because we were so tired the next morning I had to let DH sleep until noon. He was done. So I think I would take advantage of the EMH more...

I love your food porn! Haha!

Did you get the cook book? I did...I still haven't made anything out of there yet but I'm working on it. I want to make Lemon Grass Risotto maybe I should blog about the trials of making Disney Food haha!
I looked at the cook books and couldn't decide which one I wanted ! And then I didn't think I had room in my bag to carry it back....we ended up having to buy bags in San Marcos so that we could carry all the shopping back to Oz. I might be adding the cook book to DH's shopping list for October....I'm still "might not be returning" at this stage .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
I got one of those macadamia clusters too. I would have liked the nuts to have been salted but they were delicious!

Sounds like you had a great night, we got so much done on our EMH night!
Yes, you're right!! Those macadamia clusters just need a pinch of salt to really lift the taste!

I'm waiting for the next installment of your TR. I figure you're up to EMH night at MK as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
What a great night! You guys got so much done. I love BTMRR at night, it seems faster or something, I know it's not, but it feels like it is! Next trip I'm determined to close down the MK on an EMHs night with my boys, I think it would be so much fun to be in the park so late.
Yup, I think the turns and corners at BTMRR are tighter than the other rides; which makes it seem faster. And for some reason, I think BTMRR is better at WDW than DLR. (But I prefer POC at DLR - there is at least one more drop at DLR than at WDW.)

Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #149
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Wow! You got a ton of stuff done during EMH! It's fun to be at the MK so late at night. The Wishes dessert party sounds sooo good. Maybe on a future trip...
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #150
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Yup, I think the turns and corners at BTMRR are tighter than the other rides; which makes it seem faster. And for some reason, I think BTMRR is better at WDW than DLR. (But I prefer POC at DLR - there is at least one more drop at DLR than at WDW.)
This always interests me
POC at DLR wins hands down because it is longer, containing more scenes than the WDW version.
(Of course being stuck in a boat jam for 20mins in the one scene spoils it a little )

As for BTMRR - night is awesome!!!
The Paris one is my favourite but I think WDW followed by DLR would be 2nd and 3rd.

Sigh....I'm really missing the Magic Kingdom after reading this
thankfully I'm munching on a BC Gingerbread Shingle as I read so I'm not drooling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: