Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Mombits
Mouseketeer

I beat cancer,now we're going to Disney World!!! 4/23-5/1/10

Hi all!!! We're back from 9 days in florida and tired but had such an awesome time. If you happen to have read my PTR, then you know that I just finished treatment in February for breast cancer. We started planning this trip in Dec of 2008.

So now, on with the TR. Cast: me, Chris, a newly minted BC survivor, age 40, from the midwest. DH-Brian, 39, most wonderful of wonderful husbands. Hannah, age 10- not too sure if she can still be a kid at Disney- we'll find out! Donovan, age 7- ready for fun!

I was nervous about Hannah's reaction to the flight. I even got her some anxiety meds because I was afraid she'd melt down at the airport. However, those fears came to nothing because my girl did just fine! Nervous, but she did great.

We left for our trip on Friday, April 23rd. The kids were not too happy that I made them go to school that morning, but I had things to do!!!

DH works nights so he only got about 3 hours of sleep before it was time to pack up the car and pick up the kids and drive an hour to the airport. At noon, I picked up the kids and we headed for CiCi's for some pizza. However, when we got there, we found that the restaurant wasn't there anymore.

On to plan B- there was a Jimmy John's right across the parking lot, so we headed right over there.

I was just too nervous and excited to eat, so was Brian. So we packed up Donovan's food and headed to the airport! Brian must have been excited because he drove and I had planned for him to sleep while I drove, but nope, he was ready to roll!

We got to the airport- on the way I gave the kids a stern warning about not screwing around in the airport or saying anything they shouldn't say. We made it thru security with minimal effort. The kids did think it was weird that we had to take off our shoes but it all was fine. Then we sat down to wait.

You'll notice the jackets. It was about 60° and rainy at home. Not so at the Orlando airport. Oh, and the green thing on my right arm is my compression sleeve/glove. It's for fluid build up due to having had lymph nodes removed.

Brian refused to get excited about the trip until his booty was in the airplane seat for fear the trip would be ripped out of our hands again at the last minute. Finally his booty was in the airplane seat- here is his excited face:

Here is Donovan's:

Even though Hannah was a bit nervous, she did great! As soon as the plane lifted off, she was so happy. Boy was it ever a small plane though! It was an Express Jet from Continental and it had one seat on one side of the plane and two on the other side. One flight attendant.

We made it to Houston and decided to hit McD's for a snack. There was a long line, so we tried to eat quickly. We started for our terminal, not really realizing exactly how far away it was. We got our first monorail ride of the trip! The kids were loving it. There were people literally running, so I started to get really nervous and we started moving really fast. I was shocked to see that the clock said 7pm! Our flight left at 7:10!!! Whew! We made it with 10 minutes to spare!!!!

Our flight landed at Orlando at 10:25 and we immediately realized that they have never heard of air conditioning at that airport. Yuck. It was sticky and yucky. I got worried about how things were going to go for the week. Now we had to find the hertz rental car place. One of the employees told us you had to go outside and take a bus to get to the rental place. Nope. It was inside the airport, just down from where we were. Luckily we found it despite the bad info. When we got to the counter I reminded the man that we had paid for a FULL-SIZED car. Can you hear the organ music? Dun, dun, DUN! We ended up with a Honda Civic. As far as I know, they are considered compact cars???? But no one seemed to have the time to help us so we sucked it up, JAMMED our luggage into the trunk, and headed to the La Quinta for the night. Thank Goodness for GPS and the little ladies that live in them and help you find your hotel when you are tired and crabby and going in the wrong direction!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2459373

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
scdisfan
Earning My Ears

I am in! Glad you guys made it to Orlando! And found your rental car. I didn't know that is how those GPS machines worked!

Cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip. And of course, congratulations for beating BC. That is awesome and I hope that you are doing well!

DisneyWorldNewsToday.com - See how we do Disney - Famliy Style!

WDW Off Site 2000, 2001; Riverside 2004; Fort Wilderness 2005; Disneyland 2006; POFQ Sept 2007; Swan Oct 2008; Wilderness Lodge Dec 2008; Wilderness Lodge Sept 2009; Off Site March 2010 Surprise Trip!; Pop Century Oct 2010; Contemporary Dec 2010; AP for 2011 - Jan, Feb, April, May, October and November 2011; May 2012 to celebrate 100 years of Girl Scouting!!; Disney Cruise Jan 2013; Nov 2013 Pop & Wilderness Lodge; New Years 2014 AoA; Disney Cruise Feb 2014; June 6-8, 2014 Boardwalk; July 2014 Wilderness Lodge - celebrating Brooke's 10th birthday!; Oct 31-Nov 4, 2014 AoA
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the cancer beating! And, I have to say, I'm totally jealous of the Jimmy John's. I grew up in Illinois, but now live in the Northeast - no JJ's here. Sigh.

Stinks about the rental car, hope all else goes well!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Mombits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdisfan View Post
I am in! Glad you guys made it to Orlando! And found your rental car. I didn't know that is how those GPS machines worked!

Cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip. And of course, congratulations for beating BC. That is awesome and I hope that you are doing well!
Thanks for reading! Yes, we have a little woman in our gps who gets really ticked when we don't listen to her and is always having to "recalculate" our intinerary. She went crazy when we were going back to the airport

Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Mombits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
Congrats on the cancer beating! And, I have to say, I'm totally jealous of the Jimmy John's. I grew up in Illinois, but now live in the Northeast - no JJ's here. Sigh.

Stinks about the rental car, hope all else goes well!
I love JJ's! I order it from work a lot because there is one right down the street from our office and man are they fast! Plus they are tasty. Probably not so much on the healthy, but YUM!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Mombits
Mouseketeer

After we left the airport, our trusty GPS lady took us right to the La Quinta. The young guy behind the counter didn't exactly inspire trust and I was nervous about giving him my CC number. He was wearing a hoody and baggy jeans and I kept thinking the real counter person was tied up behind the desk. But he checked us in and gave us our room key and said to Brian, "Park anywhere, if you can find a spot." Um, yeah. Well, guess what? He couldn't! He had to park at another hotel and walk over to ours! We were all a bit hungry so we snacked on some chex mix and then headed to bed. We planned to sleep in the next morning and then head to Vero Beach!

Well 6 am rolled around and I was wide awake! What is up with that??? The only day I get to sleep in??? So I decided to take a bath and then try to go back to sleep. No go.
Finally, Hannah woke up around 8 and got dressed and she and I headed down for the free breakfast.
We made ourselfs some yummy waffles. While I was taking my pills (I use a pill keeper) the guy who was sitting behind me taps me on the shoulder and tells me that my pill keeper is illegal and a class II felony. Not sure if he was a cop or just some nosy guy or what. Um, Thanks????

Hannah and I decided to walk around a take a few pics of the La Quinta, which actually was a decent hotel and the price was great.

Did I mention how excited we were to see the palm trees? LOL, so lots of pics of palm trees.

Then we made up plates for the boys and took them up to the room so they could have some breakfast too. Then they were up and dressed because we were going to stay at Disney's Vero Beach Resort!!!
When we went to pack the car, I took these shots:

He thinks it's funny that I am taking pics of him jamming our luggage into the clown car.

We did it!!! We got it all jammed in there!!!

My niece and her family live very close to Vero Beach, so they were planning to meet us to hang out at the beach and then go for supper. We left and headed down I 95 and our GPS lady was quite happy. As we were going down the road, we kept seeing signs for Ron Jon's Surf Shop. Now we are mid-westerners, so there is no surfing in our neck of the woods and my daughter desperately wants to be a surfer girl. She had tried to convince me to buy a boogie board and put it in my suitcase! No, I did NOT do it. So when she saw the signs for Ron Jon's she was begging us to go there. We kept saying "we aren't going to CoCo beach, we're going to Vero Beach." Finally, I said to Brian "it's only 12 miles off of the road and we aren't in a hurry, so why not?" So we took the exit to head to Ron Jon's, and got off of the "Toll every few minutes" road. This did not make the GPS lady too happy. She kept screeching at us to turn around!! Finally, we were forced to shut her up by hitting the off button. There were so many colorful and interesting shops along the way. It seemed like a lot longer than 12 miles when we finally saw this:

We also saw this along the way:
[
And this:

And more palm trees!

I thought it was funny that Ron Jon's was advertising their "Free Parking". Walgreens across the street must have been missing the boat by not advertising their free parking. The kids were really excited to go in. Right away we saw that they had boogie boards for $10, so we snagged two. We also got t-shirts and some surfer type jewelry. We were $75 poorer when we left.

As much as Hannah wants to be a surfer girl, Donovan wants to be a skater dude:

Donovan kept trying to look thru the glass walls but couldn't see becaues of the clothes racks, so he solved the problem this way:

Here is what he was looking at:
/
Here they are, ready to BOOGIE!!!!

After we left Ron Jon's we hit the Burger King across the street- very friendly people there, and headed toward Vero Beach! My niece called and wanted to know how long. Well, let's just say that A1A is MUCH longer of a drive than it would have been to go back to I 95. Maybe that GPS lady is on to something. But as it turns out, Disney's Vero Beach Resort is right on A1A!!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Great report so far! Can't wait to read more
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Mombits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
Great report so far! Can't wait to read more
Thanks! Glad you stopped by. Hope you get to go back soon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED the Disney Vero Beach Resort.. more to come soon!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Mombits
Mouseketeer

My niece lives very close to Vero Beach and we had made plans to meet up with her family and head to the beach and then after that to go out for dinner. It seemed like it was taking us forever to get there and my niece must have thought so too because she kept calling to ask "are you here yet?"

Finally, I called and said "We're here!" I absolutely loved Disney's Vero Beach resort from the very minute I saw it. I told Brian "This is my happy place!" Here is what we saw:

We were sort of surprised that there was a guard outside:

You had to have a reservation to get in. Since my niece was coming to visit, that worried me. The guard said she could park across the street and use the under street tunnel to get to the hotel. Across the street is also where a lot of their recreation activities are. We didn't end up using any of them, but it was nice to know.

We went to the check in desk and received a hearty "Welcome Home!" The CM behind the desk was very warm and friendly. Hannah immediately took note of her pins. She went right over to the store and purchased her very first pins for trading and immediately traded with the CM, LOL! We walked around the lobby and took a few pictures. It was a beautiful hotel and very beachy feeling.

Then it was time to go to the room, we were on the second floor of the main hotel. There are also villas.

And we saw our first towel animals of the trip!

View from the balcony:

And there was a pack-n-play in the closet. Everyone was ready to hit the beach! So we changed into our swimsuits and headed on down.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Cory's Gal
I also haven't met a donut I didn't like

Awesome start Chris!!! I totally love Brian's "excited" face on the airplane!!! Cool pics from Ron Jon's too and it looks like the kids were having a lot of fun there!!! VERO BEACH looks beautiful!! Now that it on my list of "must-do's"!!!! Looking forward to more from your trip!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I'm here! Vero Beach looks amazing! Great pictures.

Mmm...Jimmy John's...LOL.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
Mombits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory's Gal View Post
Awesome start Chris!!! I totally love Brian's "excited" face on the airplane!!! Cool pics from Ron Jon's too and it looks like the kids were having a lot of fun there!!! VERO BEACH looks beautiful!! Now that it on my list of "must-do's"!!!! Looking forward to more from your trip!!!!!!!!!
I just LOVED Vero Beach. I would totally do it again and plan for more than just one night. It was sort of added on as an afterthought the first time when a friend suggested it. We actually had planned to go to Sea World but then we did this instead and I am so glad! It was just an awesome experience.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #13
Mombits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
I'm here! Vero Beach looks amazing! Great pictures.

Mmm...Jimmy John's...LOL.
Thanks!!!! So glad you're here!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
Mombits
Mouseketeer

As I said before, we're midwesterners, so for us, this was a big deal. We came down to the beach and had to stop for a quick pic.

I realized I had forgotten my sunglasses in the room so I went back up to grab them. Of course, the kids didn't wait for me to come back down to jump in the ocean. When I came down, I found Brian sitting on a beach chair having a good laugh. Right away the kids had tried out the boogie boards and right away they both got dumped into the water and they did not like that saltwater in their mouths one little bit!!! Donovan was drooling and spitting and trying hard to get it out of his mouth. Finally, he and Brian went to go buy some drinks to help with the problem. Also, apparently the boogie boards were not quite what they were cracked up to be. Both of them were already sitting next to the beach chairs and full of sand.

Here is Hannah's beach pic:

Donovan and Brian-they are the ones in the turquois swim trunks:
<Here is mine. See me? I am the one in the sparkly purple toenail polish

Now you may remember that my niece was coming with her family to visit us. Well time was passing and she hadn't shown up. Finally it was around 4:30 and she called and said there had been an accident on the road that slowed them up but they were finally 5 minutes away. Just as we hung up, a CM came and told us that the beach would be closing in half an hour! What???? Isn't the ocean always open? Darn it!

So my niece made it just in time for the kids to play for a bit on the beach.

So when the beach closed, I suggested we hit the pool. The pool there is very subtley shaped like Mickey. It has a beautiful slide that is a lighthouse and there is an area for little kids that is a pirate ship.

Some Hidden Mickey's we spotted:

All of us, except Brian:

After swimming, we headed up to the room to shower and get ready for dinner. I love the striped beach towels they provide and the H2O shower stuff. It smells great!

We were taking my niece and her family to dinner at the Lobster Shanty. This place is directly on the water. When you look out the window, you can't see land at all.The hostess was pretty snotty, but the waitress was great. We tried alligator! The food was delish and pricewise not too bad. We later paid more for four of us at Disney than we paid for 9 of us here, so not too bad. Then it was time to say goodbye to my niece and her family. Here are all the cousins:

and my niece and I:

We headed off to bed because we knew that Sunday was going to be an early day!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #15
AlexJB
Earning My Ears

Congrats on being given the all clear! Love the pics, looking like a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: