Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Grab The Trash Bags, We Are Going to Disney!

Welcome to my very first trip report and hello again to those who may have read my very first pre-trip report!
Here is the background information:
First, the cast:
Me 38 and DH 39,
DS 8 whose pin trading theme was set to be Star Wars, hidden mickeys, super heros, Mulan and frogs
DD 5 who had decided on babies
DD 22 months who lives for "MeMouse" and "Deduck" and
my brother who is like having a 4th child despite the fact that he is 52 and collects Tinker Bell pins.
When and Where: May 1-9 at CBR
Day 1: We had stayed in a hotel near our airport the night before our flight so I will start with ealry morning on May 1st.
I wake up at 2:00am to a very disturbing sound.....look next to me and quickly figure out what that noise is.....my husband throwing up in the bathroom!! Oh no! I have planned non-stop for 9 months and we are 3 hours away from being on our way and DH is blowing chunks in the bathroom! After I check on him like a good wife should I evaluate the situation. It is probably "just" a migraine coming on which is bad enough but I so did not want to even say the word stomach flu. So poor DH feels like crap and visits the bathroom several more times during packing up. As we are leaving the hotel room to grab the shuttle I hear myself say "Well, we are just going to have to grab some trash bags from the front desk and hope for the best!". So, off we went with my poor DH following behind. Sure enough, I grabbed some trash bags and on the shuttle to the airport we went. I was thinking if we can just get there we will be fine. There was no way I could cx this now. My kids were exploding with excitement. Although my DS kept saying "Oh no, we are having bad luck". No need for trash bags on shuttle at 5am.
Flight leaves as scheduled at 7am with no need for trash bags and all 3 kids behaving wonderfully. Plane lands. Now, when I say land I mean just barely landed. We landed on only one side of the plane. Swore we were going to tip over. My DS thought this was great! My DB who was already a nervous wreck from flying could have been one of the hitch-hiking ghosts at that moment.
Anyway, we made it to Orlando with no need to take trash bags out! Yay!
Off to DME and were thrilled to find that the line did not start at the elevator like it did in 2008. We walked right into the line and only waited about 20 minutes for our bus, which was a huge improvement from the 2 hours we waited the last time.
Got to CBR, walked right up to the online check in and got started!! We received connecting rooms in Trinidad North just as we requested. I was so excited. Got our 2 $500 gift cards and our keys to the world and we were off. And I almost forgot! No need for trash bags on DME!
We walked out to the front of Customs House and was told that the in resort shuttle wouldn't be back for 20 minutes so despite another couple waiting who said "We are Americans, we don't walk", the 6 of us were off and walking. It actually worked out great. The baby fell asleep in the stroller, my DH got some fresh air and we were able to check out our home as we walked. It didn't take longer the 12-15 minutes and we were at Trinidad North. One of our rooms was a corner, it was like having a suite. Did I mention that we were in our rooms by 11:30am!
My DH laid on the bed next to the sleeping baby and the kids changed into their swim gear which we packed in our carryons. I called Bell services and our delivery from Garden Grocer was there and they said they will bring it up as soon as possible. So, our vacation was on! We left DH and baby to rest and the 4 of us went to the pool! Wow! What a pool. Loved it! And boy, was it hot!! Record heat of course.
Here are some pics of us at the pool while we were waiting for our luggage and daddy to come alive again.

Wow! I did it! I added pics with no difficulty. Woohoo for me!
Ok, so by 1:30 our luggage, groceries and pack n play have been delivered to our room and I have my bathing suit. Much needed although the pina coladas were helping too!
At 3:00, after many water slide visits and much swimming the baby and DH arrive at the pool! Life is good. We swam until 4:00pm and then it was time to get ready for our very first ADR of the trip: 50's Prime Time Cafe at DHS at 5:55pm.
To be continued.......
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
GaRain
DIS Veteran

So far so good on your first trip report!
Not so good on the start of the trip!
Hope this is a 1 day thing for the husband!

Lara
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

So we make it to 50's PT in plenty of time. We gave ourselves an hour of travel time, but couldn't believe how quickly we got to DHS! We did have to wait awhile to be seated, but the food was worth it and we had a great time. Although the kids were dying to get on some rides.
Baby's first WDW bus ride and DH getting a sticker for cleaning his plate.

His appetite was back just in time!
Highly recommend the fried chicken and milkshakes at 50's! Actually, we all ordered something different and we each enjoyed our meals. Just don't use your cell phone at the table!
We did the Great Movie Ride, Star Tours and the men did Rockin Roller Coaster. DS picked out his new lanyard (Americana) and we shopped before returning to CBR. Think everyone was tired!

Next up: Day 2......

Last edited by Kelrykengab; 05-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
So far so good on your first trip report!
Not so good on the start of the trip!
Hope this is a 1 day thing for the husband!

Lara
Thanks for joining in!! It was a 1 day thing, you will see that he could even eat that day.....some Disney angels were smiling on us I guess!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
cinderella crazy
DIS Veteran

I'm here, ready to read all about it!

Wow! I can't believe your DH had a stomach bug! I hope he didn't have any more episodes.

We LOVED the pool at CBR but weren't able to use it very much last year since it rained so much. The kids loved the ship. I think Lauren went down the ships slide at least 20 times!!!

Speaking of Lauren, I think she has the same suit as your daughter. If it's not, it's very close to it.

Glad you had a good dinner and got to ride some rides at DHS!

Those pictures of the kids asleep in the beds at CBR is making me really want to go back!!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
michellejed
DIS Veteran

Great report and your kids are so cute, looks like they had a great first day

We will be staying at CBR in September with our DS and his family, it will be our DGK first visit

Looking forward to staying there again
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella crazy View Post
I'm here, ready to read all about it!

Wow! I can't believe your DH had a stomach bug! I hope he didn't have any more episodes.

We LOVED the pool at CBR but weren't able to use it very much last year since it rained so much. The kids loved the ship. I think Lauren went down the ships slide at least 20 times!!!

Speaking of Lauren, I think she has the same suit as your daughter. If it's not, it's very close to it.

Glad you had a good dinner and got to ride some rides at DHS!

Those pictures of the kids asleep in the beds at CBR is making me really want to go back!!
I noticed the suit in your packing pix and thought the same thing!! We lucked out, it wasn't a stomach bug but we think either a migraine or bad food at the restaraunt the night before we left. Glad you are here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejed View Post
Great report and your kids are so cute, looks like they had a great first day

We will be staying at CBR in September with our DS and his family, it will be our DGK first visit

Looking forward to staying there again
Thanks so much. We did have a fabulous time. CBR is great! You only have a few months left. Yay! Thanks for joining in!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Day 2: Our "Never-ending DHS Day"

Well, I started out day 2 breaking all my own Disney rules. First, I let the kids and Uncle all sleep in and did not wake anyone. It should be noted that last trip I was waking everyone up and we were out the door by 7:15am on some days. Second, I changed the plan! Instead of MK in the am and DHS in the evening, we changed it to an all DHS day. Literally, we spent all day there, we figured it was about a 12 hour day with no one getting tired and everyone staying happy in 90 degree heat. Go figure, but I wasn't complaining.
But first, we had to get our new lanyards on and head to Old Port Royale for our first CBR breakfast.

We had french toast, eggs, sausage and biscuits. My son insisted on getting the Bounty Platter which he was very excited about even though he didn't like biscuits and sausage . It was vacation, right. The food was pretty good. Loved the 2 drinks for everyone. It was crowded, but we found a seat fairly quickly. After breakfast, it was off to wait for the bus.
We ended up always using the bus stop at OPR and found it great for leaving the resort, but not so great for coming home. The baby always wanted to get off at the first stop, which I believe was Jamiaca and was not thrilled waiting 3 more stops.
Back to Day 2. We quickly hopped on the bus and within 5-7 minutes we were at DHS! We love it here in case you couldn't tell . On our way to our first stop we noticed Minnie coming our way. We had to get in the line as this would be the baby's first time meeting Minnie and the line was short!

Then we saw Donald and Daisy, but were told they were leaving soon and to come back at 11:50am so that was our plan as stated by DD5.
First stop, TSM, which we had never done. The 60 minute wait said we were not doing it then either so we got a FP for between 4:45-5:45! That is one poplular ride! So, we watched the Green Army Men and then did the Narnia tour b/c my 2 oldest love those movies. My son couldn't believe the White Witch was there! Then, DH and DS off to Rockin Roller Coaster and DB, 2 DDs and I went to watch the HSM show and then waited for the ducks!

Then Little Mermaid and Mickey Mouse show before lunch. Baby LOVED the Mickey show although it was hard for her to see in the back, but we did not wait which was a plus.
After lunch, DH, DB, DS and baby went to see the Car/Motor Stunt Show thing, which I wanted to as well, but DD5 demanded it was time for her first ride on the Tower of Terror. Can't say no to that!
She had been waiting for 2 years and the minute she heard the thunder I think she was changing her mind. Well, we did it and I giggled like a child, but when it was done she asked "Why did that have to be so scary?". This is when I realized that after 2 years of asking she didn't even know what the word Terror meant, woops!
Then it was off to Jedi Training for the 4:00 show, DS and DD loved it and were so happy to fight Darth Vader!

Then it was Hollywoond and Vine at 5:00pm and then more rides until walking into Fantasmic at 8:30pm for our 9:00pm show and we sat up front! Love that dinner package. The kids got their light up ears and everyone loved the show. The baby watched through her hands, but never cried or asked to leave. DS 8 still can't believe "how magical Mickey is!". What a great day!!

Last edited by Kelrykengab; 05-18-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Ilovedis30
Mouseketeer

Hi,
Jumping aboard over here for your TR. I'll be staying at CBR with my dd12 in July

Jen
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovedis30 View Post
Hi,
Jumping aboard over here for your TR. I'll be staying at CBR with my dd12 in July

Jen
Awesome! Welcome. We really enjoyed CBR!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Follow-up to Day 2

I forgot a couple things from Day 2. One, I have to say that we were pretty impressed with Hollywood and Vine. We did the breakfast there in 2008 and that was fine but for some reason I was not expecting much from this dinner. However, we liked the variety, the chicken and meatballs, salads and desserts. The kids each found something they liked. The apple crisp was yummy! Our server was great and it was a nice relaxing, down time in air conditioning for us.
The other thing I forgot to mention was that we did use that FP for TSM! We loved it and can see why it is so difficult to get on without waiting. DD 5 and I have added it to our top 3 favorites and DD 22 months had a huge smile on her face the entire time and then yelled "Again!".
No night time swimming at the pool this night.......too tired!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Animal Kingdom and Finally Magic Kingdom

Well, by now we are really acting like we are on vacation and we all slept in again. Much needed from our crazy day yesterday.
I don't believe we got out of the room until close to 10:00am so we skipped breakfast at CBR and headed straight to AK! The girls had their Giraffe prints on were ready for some Safari-in!

It was HOT! (again) There were no lines to get into AK, but we quickly found out it was pretty busy! Stopped for a quick pic in front of the Tree of Life.

DS and DH went straight to Mount Everest and found only a 20 minute wait while DD5 and I went to Rapid River Ride and found a 50 minute wait which I think was much longer. Would not have gone if it weren't for DD5. DB and baby DD waited on the bridge and baby proceded to ruin her brand new white shirt with a red popsicle ! However, DD5 loves this ride and was so happy she didn't have to sit in the special seat anymore!
Next, we were all starving so over to the Flame Tree BBQ for lunch. Then onto the flying dinos (again a favorite of DD5 and now of baby DD). Next, was Dinosaur! I didn't get to do this last time b/c I was pregnant. I loved this ride. My DS hates it, but I made him go on anyway and of course the dino was on his side EVERY time. Well, that was a short visit. Now we were off to CBR to swim before our much anticipated dinner with Cindy and her family!
We always did our best to get "our table" at CBR (second row, all the way to the left) when we went to the pool. DS loved the big slide and DD5 was so happy to do the small one with a life jacket. I loved pretty much every frozen drink at the bar. I thought the zero entry pool would be good for the baby, but really she would not go any further than her ankles unless I held her. I did eventually tune out the constant ringing coming from the kiddie area too . I found a nice spot to sit within the kiddie area too while I watched DD5 play on the small slides while baby hung on my back.
On the way back to the room we walked along the lake and said hello to the turtles.
Now time to get the girls dressed up for 1900 Park Fare! We had heard that Cindy and her family are fantastically fun hosts. We will tell you what we think in the next post.......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Found you!

You have a great start! Glad to hear DH's incident was isolated!!

Your 8 yo sounds a lot like mine. I had just told him about the Jedi Academy and he got SO excited when I showed him your picture! He is begging me to take him for Star Wars Weekend.

Can't wait to hear about your dinner at 1900 PF

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse

Last edited by kschafer; 05-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

saw the dresses hangin in the background

of one photo ....read that u are goin to eat with Cindy..........reading trippie as fast as I can go to see those pix...............and BAM............u leave me hanging...........thats just WRONG!

LOL
cant wait for more!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here! I read the entire first two installments but haven't read the rest yet. Thank goodness, your hubby wasn't sick for longer than he was.

Okay, now I'm going back to read the rest.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: