Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Smokering
Earning My Ears

Not sure I'd show it to a 4-year-old. A teen, maybe, for the purposes of discussion; but not a 4-year-old. It's incredibly racist.
Smokering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

I have a copy - can't remember where I got it; I think it was a converted-from-European-format copy from eBay. The quality is wretched, but at least I have it.

That said, I wouldn't work really hard to find it for a small child either. Not only because of the racist issues; but mostly because small kids find the parts "in between" the cartoon bits to be terribly boring. I have watched it with DD6 and DD9. We had a frank discussion of slavery and about it being wrong, also about the movie being made a long time ago when people didn't believe they way we do now. It really didn't matter though, because they were both so bored by the live-action parts that they wandered off to do something else and only came back when the cartoons were on.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

I bought a good copy on e-bay last year.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
yourMaire83
SPA MARIE

Ok, just got back from the Christmas Gift show... they have copies of The Song of the South there for $39.95. They had one playing on the TV in the booth and it was good quality. I didn't buy any tonight, but I can go back tomorrow and buy one for somebody. I would sell on ebay for 40.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
BELLE1109
Mouseketeer

love that song!

BELLE1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
JeansG
Mouseketeer

I know the video it's up in Youtube. Just type in "The Song of the South" and you'll see it there fully. It's the only way I managed to see it. Couldn't find it anywhere else. I really do hope Disney releases it on video.

Good Luck!
JeansG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
palavra
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Not sure I'd show it to a 4-year-old. A teen, maybe, for the purposes of discussion; but not a 4-year-old. It's incredibly racist.
Maybe the back story of why the stories were written in the first place would help it seem less racist.

I live in the town where Joel Chandler Harris was born and raised. In other words, the place that is the origin of the Uncle Remus stories. Harris felt a duty to write the stories down that he heard from former slaves that were working on his parent's property when he was growing up. He thought the stories were too good to be lost to history. So he wrote them down. Uncle Remus was not a real man; he is a compilation of several real people that Harris knew and cared great deal for. I never knew this until I visited the Uncle Remus museum in our town. We are very proud of Harris and the wonderful stories of people that are nameless but much a part of our history.

I do understand that the climate of the time was racist, but Harris was actually trying to save these great stories so that futur generations could hear them, read them, and, now, see them in movie form.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #23
jassmine12
Earning My Ears

I think you can get it on yahoo radio music..
jassmine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #24
kalvin
Earning My Ears

It's one of my favorite song. I love to watch this song most of the time. It's really superb..!!
kalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
swarlock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
My guess is that Disney is too "politically correct" to ever release the movie on their own.
Agreed.
swarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I have a copy on DVD, DBF bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago. It is one of my absolute favorites. We watched it with the kids as soon as we could after I opened it, we did not find it terribly racist or insulting. Yes it is racist Uncle Remus is a slave, but he's treated very well and the kids love his stories. I think my girls were 8 & 11 when I got it and they totally understood. They asked questions when they had them and we answered them honestly. It's a favorite movie here.
I really don't know where DBF got it but I'm sure it's a pirated copy, it does have occasional tracking lines in it, he said he only paid around $20 for it and I think he said he got it online from a place in Canada.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #27
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

At the California State Fair this past summer there was a vendor selling copies of "Song of the South" and other movies not available in the U.S. He was British, so I am assuming all the movies he was selling were pirated copies.

For what it's worth, "Song of the South" is set in the post-Civil War period during the Reconstruction. So, Uncle Remus and the others are not slaves but are sharecroppers. However, I don't think the average viewer would know this.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
charliebrown
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Not racist at all, anyone who thinks it is needs to actually watch the movie.

charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
rockylook01
Earning My Ears

Listening songs is my hobby. in my free time i often download varieties of songs as per my hobby. really this is pretty sweet and melodious songs on your website as a south music. it is really impressive and wonderful. i can get entertainment and enjoyment via listen this music.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #30
DisneyFamilyDad
Earning My Ears

Walt Disney took special care when making this movie so it wouldn't be offensive. Messages are lost from books when made into movies and he knew this. I haven't read the books but it seemed the story was cleansed for the times (released in '46 I believe).
I think the problem nowadays is that the slaves, or sharecroppers (you can't tell from the movie if it was before or after the Civil War) are happy and jolly. Of course we all know that it wasn't that way at all.
My kids see a story about a rich privileged boy who learns some values through the friendship and stories of Uncle Remus, who won an honorary academy award for his roles in the movie.

'78 Offsite, '80 Offsite, '85 Offsite, '07 ASR Sports, '09 GF, '10 Poly, '11 PORS

DisneyFamilyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: