Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #121
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Hi Katie!
You had me going to with that little joke about another trip!

We have an ADR at Cali Grill in July and I'd really like to get the pork but I like it without any pink showing....
I wonder if they will roll their eyes at me when I order it that way...

Looks like you had a great evening in spite of Stitch.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #122
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Katie, I've been meaning to tell you ALL day that I had a dream last night about planning a trip for a co-worker. I was trying to contain my excitement in my dream but when I dug out my unofficial guide, their eyes glazed over.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #123
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
Your meal looked yummy (except for the sushi! LOL)! And that view!!! Sorry you missed the "Up" characters. Can't wait to see where you went next!
Isn't it funny how you never hear anyone say "sushi is just OK" People either love it or hate it!

More fun ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Yummmmmm- I love that Spicy Kazan roll!! It's soooooooooooooooo delicious!!
I could eat that right now for breakfast (OK, I could eat that entire meal all over again )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
*Drool*

You know how I feel about polenta. I really want to go to Cali Grill now.

Taking it easy and really enjoying the moment is hard to do at Disney unless you really concentrate on making it happen. I fall into that rush, rush, rush mentality and I don't like it. I want to enjoy and go slow and above all soak in all the magic I can before going home.
That polenta was SO good! The goat cheese made it so creamy and rich...YUM!

I really had to work on slowing down the first couple days but it got easier as the trip went on I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Great update Katie!!

WOW your dinner at CG looks and sounds amazing! I am so glad you were able to eat there I just adored that meal and I look forward to getting back there in the future!!!

DHS is such a great park! I really love the Animation Studio, but I would have been a bit disappointed to draw Stitch too!!!!
I know how much you love CG and I thought of you a lot while there

I made up for the stitch disappointment later on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansMom View Post
Oh my Gosh Katie!!!! What a fun evening........GREAT food, beautiful scenery, and the ability to stroll around, going where you want to go, seeing what you want to see. I know I will probably NEVER be able to go to WDW without my gang, but it sounds a little divine enjoying it on your own!!!! I can't wait to see what you get into next!!!!
I would give up a solo trip for a disney-loving hubby in a heartbeat. I guess this is the silver lining of not being that lucky!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #124
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Dinner at CG looks delicious, and what great views from the observation deck!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #125
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
I think it's wonderful that you made yourself slow down a little bit to take everything in. I am the same way, rushing, making sure we see/do everything and forget to actually enjoy myself. How wonderful that you went in with that mindset. I'm sorry you missed the Up characters. That has got to be one of my favorite Disney movies ever.
Me too...I cried and cried in the theater. Still do when I watch it now but I still love it! I was bummed to miss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Glad you had a good meal/time at DHS!! I've never visited the animation center-- not exactly an artist! Sorry you had to draw Stitch!!
I'm not an artist AT ALL!! but the animators do a really good job of walking you through the process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
Looks like a great first night! And yes we had a great time seeing Mary Poppins. I would love to go to Caifornia Grill for the view but I am not an adventerous eater at all so it makes me very nervous!
you could always go and get something simple like a flatbread and dessert. The view is definitely worth a visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Katie, love the update. The view from CG is marvelous (we've never dined there).

I love your drawing of the obnoxious Stitch--that is how he'd probably look if I drew him too (very low on my list of Disney characters...and the reason we stopped getting wake up calls).

I'm glad you decided to "slow down" a little this trip and enjoy the moment. I think we all sometimes rush and forget to just enjoy what we are doing at that specific time.
That dinner was a great kickoff to the trip!

I'm always suprised at the number of people who express a fondness for that vile creature. I will never go to Ohana breakfast because of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Oohhhh your dinner looks soooo good! Even the sushi looks pretty although I'm not sure if I would have liked it!! Don't you just love that butter with the salt? The Wave does that too and I know it is something simple but boy do I love it!!
Love your game plan for the night...just walking around and taking the time to enjoy everything....I am looking forward to a laid back trip in October
Awww Stitch is cute!! I loved drawing (I am sooo not good! ) but it is so much fun!!

Tracy
Yes, that salt on the butter was SO good! at our Narcoossee's dinner, I expressed to my Dad how enjoyable it is but he didn't like the fact they used unsalted butter and the flavor was only concentrated in bites

My goal this night was to wander because I assumed I would have to wait much too long for a ride (I never even checked times in fact )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Your dinner looks great! I'm so happy they were able to seat you. I'm with Tracy, they even make sushi look good - but I'd NEVER try it

Good for you slowing down, I found myself doing just the opposite and feeling a bit stressed at times because of it
That's how I was on my last trip, stressed out over making sure everyone knew what was coming next and getting to do what they wanted, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I should have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
ooo, love the pork dish at Cali Grill! I got that too!

It's funny cause when I did "what character are you most like" I got Ursula!!! And I did NOT take a pic to remind myslef of that!
I had heard that the character you get largely depends on how you answer the last question (would you rather eat dinner with nice people or eat nice people for dinner?) so I did it a second time but got some really obscure character...yeah, no picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrykengab View Post
Ok, first, that food looked so yummy! A little different than the places we went with my 3 kids . That view is amazing. So glad that you stopped to take it in. I have to remind myself to do that too and found I was fairly good at it this trip b/c we had just been 2 years ago. But here is what I really have to say:
My son is going to kill me that the "What Character are You Most Like" thing was at DHS all along (a park that we spend lots of time in). I had read about this somewhere and told him about it while we were at Epcot thinking that it was there and of course we never found it. He was so dissapointed. I won't forget where it is on our next trip. So glad you put that up!!
I never saw any poorly behaved children at the signature restaurants but I was surprised at how many kids I saw. I know my boys would never appreciate the food and I could never just relax and enjoy. That's way too much money to spend on I dinner I can't enjoy properly! Save it for an adults trip!

Now you know! Surprise you son next time...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #126
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your meal looks amazing and I am so psyched that you walked up and got a table. Way to go. I love the pictures from up top and its great that you decided to stop and smell the roses and really spend some time soaking it in. That's how I felt when I was there. I just wanted to keep taking it all in. By the time I got outside it was dark.

Sorry the Up guys weren't there, but at least you had some nice quiet time in the park. Looks like a fun evening. I am longing for a bit of solo time, so I could definitely get into that grove!
This trip was a nice balance between solo and time with others! I don't love dining or waiting in lines alone so I was very glad when shelby arrived and I loved meeting all the fantastic Disers! But I really enjoyed my solo wandering I was able to do here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Sounds like you had a wonderful evening. Cali Grill is one of our favorites, but have never had an appetizer....I know what I'm ordering next time!!!
We debated between the regular and deluxe dining but getting to do a number of signature restaurants and have appetizers was the deciding factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Jumping onboard and loving it so far!
Welcome! glad to have you along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Lovely view! Nice that you got a monorail going by, too.
It is worth taking time to stop and absorb enough of the magic to help carry you through until your next trip.

We hope to be seeing the inside of BLT in just a few weeks.
I was pretty pleased to have the monorail in that picture! I thought of the 4th of July meet as I looked at BLT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
Great update! I never ate at CG but don't think my girls would like it. Didn't make it to the animation center last year but on my list of things to do this year.

I find I always have a better trip if I take it slow because I always seem to get to see and do the things I want but I am not tired and grouchy from trying to keep every thing going smoothly.
I really don't see how kids can appreciate CG and the other signature restaurants (I know mine wouldn't) I had never done Animation Academy before, it's definitely on my must-do list now!

I did discover on my last trip that it is necessary to follow your instincts. If you need a break, take one! I had to cancel one of my dinners this trip which I was bummed about but I had hit the wall and needed to take it easy for the evening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julezdisney View Post
That's so AWESOME you went to CG by yourself and had such a great time and took those AMAZING photos Katie!
I was nervous about dining alone but I enjoyed this meal in particular. Lots of activity to watch with the open kitchen and people moving about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I am exactly the same way when I find out someone is planning a Disney vacation. I have to hold myself back to make sure I don't scare/overwhelm them.

I am SO glad you got to dine at CG. Although I've been there a couple of times, I have not been out on the observation deck. Must fix this next time!!!

Sorry you missed the Up characters.

Can't wait for more!!
Ben sent me a message this morning saying they told the kids last night. They will all be at my parents house this weekend. I wasn't going to go for a visit but now I really want to look up park hours, parade times and EMH's and bring it to them!

You must promise to check out the observation deck next time!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #127
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Hi Katie!
You had me going to with that little joke about another trip!

We have an ADR at Cali Grill in July and I'd really like to get the pork but I like it without any pink showing....
I wonder if they will roll their eyes at me when I order it that way...

Looks like you had a great evening in spite of Stitch.
I didn't say I was GOING on another trip, I said I was PLANNING another trip

When I ordered the pork, the waiter told me medium is the standard and asked if that was OK with me. If you want it more well-done, ask for it. Who cares if they roll their eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Katie, I've been meaning to tell you ALL day that I had a dream last night about planning a trip for a co-worker. I was trying to contain my excitement in my dream but when I dug out my unofficial guide, their eyes glazed over.
OK, I love UG and used it to plan our 2008 trip but it is a bit overwhelming for newbies! I will probably pass on my Birnbaums and Complete Guide for them to use (I wonder if the new UG addition would be good? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Dinner at CG looks delicious, and what great views from the observation deck!!!
such a great evening! and an awesome start to the trip

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #128
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone! For those of you who followed my PTR, you know a bit about my original travel partner Beth. Basically, she has a never disorder that causes her to experience pain from even the slightest touch. Today is the day of her surgery, a procedure to place electrodes in her spine which will hopefully intercept the messages to her brain and bring her relief from the pain. SO send her some pixie dust wishes today for a sucessful outcome so she can have her life back!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #129
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
I'm always suprised at the number of people who express a fondness for that vile creature. I will never go to Ohana breakfast because of him!

That is the main reason we won't go there either. Plus, we used to go when it was Minnie, Pluto, Chip and Dale, and Goofy and a buffet (I prefer a buffet over family style so I can get the foods I LIKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
Hey everyone! For those of you who followed my PTR, you know a bit about my original travel partner Beth. Basically, she has a never disorder that causes her to experience pain from even the slightest touch. Today is the day of her surgery, a procedure to place electrodes in her spine which will hopefully intercept the messages to her brain and bring her relief from the pain. SO send her some pixie dust wishes today for a sucessful outcome so she can have her life back!
Sending much to Beth that she has a most successful outcome today.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #130
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

Pixie Dust on the way!!! The best of luck to her!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #131
dd50
DIS Veteran

Ouch!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #132
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

Hope all went well with Beth's surgery today.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #133
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Hope Beth's procedure went well today!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #134
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Lots of Pixie Dust for Beth!

That's great that you got a table at Cali Grill--it all looks so yummy!
July 2013 AEP Contemporary
June 2013 Pop
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop-W&D half marathon
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #135
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

I hope everything went well with Beth, Katie!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: