DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2176
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Ever wonder how the current SSR property fit into original WDW plans? Take a look at this very interesting article. The concept wasn't too far off from what eventually became DVC.

http://micechat.com/10063-walt-disne...d-buena-vista/
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #2177
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Hello SSR lovers

I am reading this thread to get pumped up for our first trip to SSR at the end of September. I was apprehensive about it at first, but since its a girls only adult weekend for the ToT 10 Miler, I think being so close to DTD will be an awesome thing
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #2178
jennifer25
Earning My Ears

1st Time at SSR

Hi- It will be our 3rd time in WDW, but 1st time at SSR. 10/31-11/7/12 for DD 5th birthday!! Do they offer late checkout? Our flight was delayed 2hrs. What is the best area to stay in with 2 young kids (6 & 4)? We rented a car, any suggestions? I have read that we should use the buses to/from MK, but to drive to the other parks. Thanks for your help?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #2179
Chic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer25 View Post
Hi- It will be our 3rd time in WDW, but 1st time at SSR. 10/31-11/7/12 for DD 5th birthday!! Do they offer late checkout? Our flight was delayed 2hrs. What is the best area to stay in with 2 young kids (6 & 4)? We rented a car, any suggestions? I have read that we should use the buses to/from MK, but to drive to the other parks. Thanks for your help?
With it still being warm enough for swimming in early November and having two young children along, I would suggest the "Springs" section due to close proximity of the main pool, shopping, and food services. DVC Resorts typically do not offer late check out but you can store your luggage in Bell Services until you depart. As far as transportation, I always vote for the bus service because it drops you off at the main entrance area and you won't have to deal with parking cost. Once you park your vehicle in a parking lot, then you have to take a tram to the main gate. Why deal with the headache when there is free bus service? The bus is quick and convenient.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2180
jennifer25
Earning My Ears

Thanks you for your reply! I can't wait 'til our trip!!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #2181
Chic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks you for your reply! I can't wait 'til our trip!!!!!
SSR is a beautiful resort with awesome amenities. They have one of the most popular spas and fitness centers on Disney property if that sort of thing interests you. They also show movies outdoors on a large screen at the main swimming pool during the evening hours. Have a wonderful trip!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #2182
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do they offer late checkout? Our flight was delayed 2hrs.
DVC resorts do not offer late checkouts. However, there are locker rooms with showers at each DVC resort that allow you to enjoy a park or the pool, then get changed and ready for your flight. You can continue to use the resort's amenities until midnight on your check-out day, however, you must be out of your room by 11:00 am. You can either lock your luggage in your car or store it with Bell Services.

At SSR, the locker rooms are on the 1st floor of Carriage House. Go in the door closest to the hot tub.

Quote:
What is the best area to stay in with 2 young kids (6 & 4)? We rented a car, any suggestions?
Check out FAQ #4 in this post for my thoughts on the "which section?" question.

Quote:
I have read that we should use the buses to/from MK, but to drive to the other parks.
That's my advice. I prefer the parking lot to the bus for every park except the Magic Kingdom. Too much hassle dealing the the Ticket and Transportation Center, there, so we always take the bus.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #2183
jennifer25
Earning My Ears

Thank you for answering my questions! How do I "try" to ensure that I will get the section of the resort that I am requesting? We have already requested the springs, but what else can I do? Can I ask again when I do online check in? Or the day before we arrive? I really don't want to get stuck being far away with 2 kids. I think the springs is best for us. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #2184
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions! How do I "try" to ensure that I will get the section of the resort that I am requesting? We have already requested the springs, but what else can I do? Can I ask again when I do online check in? Or the day before we arrive? I really don't want to get stuck being far away with 2 kids. I think the springs is best for us. Thanks!
As long as your request is noted in your reservation, you should be good. It all depends on how full the reosrt is and what specific rooms are turning over on your check in day.

A second area that is nice with small kids is the Paddock section, especially if you can get one of teh buildings on either side of the Paddock Pool.

On check in, ask where the room is that you have been assigned, if it is not what you wanted ask if there are any available in your preferred section. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #2185
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Ever wonder how the current SSR property fit into original WDW plans? Take a look at this very interesting article. The concept wasn't too far off from what eventually became DVC.

http://micechat.com/10063-walt-disne...d-buena-vista/
That is a really interesting article. I would have liked to lived there for 3 months at a time. Another example of Disney genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
Hello SSR lovers

I am reading this thread to get pumped up for our first trip to SSR at the end of September. I was apprehensive about it at first, but since its a girls only adult weekend for the ToT 10 Miler, I think being so close to DTD will be an awesome thing
Yes, a close boat ride to replenish those calories you run off.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #2186
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

Quote:
I had Springs as my first request, then Grandstand. When I did the online check in, I was able to make additional requests. I chose near pool. I can't recall if bus stop was another choice. We had Springs 4232. It couldn't have been much better than that! We were right near the bus stop, carriage house, and high rocks pool.
The only problem was our room wasn't refurbished yet. A dresser drawer was broken and the rug had a bad odor when it got wet, which it did after all of the rain.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #2187
Junebugwv
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Paddock in '10 (before the pool renovation) and recently returned from a stay at Grandstand. Returning again in Oct for a trip with grand kids. Question for you seasoned SSR people: our dryer was barely warm and would not dry a small load. We had maintenance in 3 times and the guy finally told us that the dryers are all like that. I told him that the dryers in the pool laundry room were just fine, but he said those are commercial grade and can't be compared to those in the villas. I can't say I enjoyed trekking to the pool with every load and would like to avoid that when we return in Oct.....but I really like the Grandstand area. Did we just happen to get a bad dryer, or are they really like that in the villas at Grandstand?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #2188
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

We always have to go through several cycles in the dryer before our clothes were dry, but they were never Luke warm. The bigger the load in those things the longer they take to dry.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #2189
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebugwv View Post
We stayed at the Paddock in '10 (before the pool renovation) and recently returned from a stay at Grandstand. Returning again in Oct for a trip with grand kids. Question for you seasoned SSR people: our dryer was barely warm and would not dry a small load. We had maintenance in 3 times and the guy finally told us that the dryers are all like that. I told him that the dryers in the pool laundry room were just fine, but he said those are commercial grade and can't be compared to those in the villas. I can't say I enjoyed trekking to the pool with every load and would like to avoid that when we return in Oct.....but I really like the Grandstand area. Did we just happen to get a bad dryer, or are they really like that in the villas at Grandstand?
It has been awhile since we stayed in the 1BR, but I remember having to dry the load a little longer than the timer, but not 3 times. Agree with previous poster - if it is towels or extra full load, it takes longer to dry.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #2190
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

We have always found the dryers to get hot, but they do take a few cycles to dry depending on the size of the load. Try smaller loads or drying half a load at a time. I had one load of mostly towels at Aulani that took 3 hours to dry (no kidding)

Deb
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: