DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #2086
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2Prince View Post
Myself and a friend are going down in January for our first half marathon. Our plan was to stay at OKW since they offer 2 beds. However, their studios are apparently all booked for that weekend. The only thing available was SSR, so that's what we took. Unfortunetely, this means one of us will be sleeping on the pullout bed. Can anyone tell me how comfortable (or uncomfortable) these are? The last thing either of us needs before running 13 miles is a bad night's sleep and waking up sore. Hopefully they're not as bad as I'm thinking.
To my knowledge, DVC uses three styles of pull-outs at WDW.

The one I find most comfortable is made by a company called American Leather. With this couch, you remove the back cushions, then walk the bottom part of the couch straight back. There's no bar in your back and the matress is relatively comfortable.

The second style is a couch where you don't remove any of the cushions. There's a strap on the back of the couch that you pull forward. This reveals a compartment inside where pillows are stored. You then pull a second strap to unfold the rest of the bed. This style also doesn't have the dreaded bar in your back and is pretty comfortable.

Then there's the third style. This is the traditional type of sofa bed where you remove all the cushions, then pull the bed up and out with a strap. You then unfold the bed a second time to unfold the bottom half. The matresses aren't very thick, and you can feel all the supports through it. This is the one with the awful bar across the small of your back.

I'm very sorry to have to tell you that SSR studios have style #3. If you can fit a full-sized inflatable matress into your luggage by any chance, I'd really recommend it. Use it to supplement the fold-out's matress.

SSR is in the middle of a refurbishment. From the pictures in the latest Disney Files Magazine, it looks as if they are changing the couches. I don't know how that effects the mechanism of the fold-out, though. The refurb has just started, and only a small percentage of the rooms in the Congress Park section have been completed.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #2087
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
^^^^^

My brain hurts!
You want that one page 1 as well? I think I have a second post.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #2088
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
You want that one page 1 as well? I think I have a second post.
Or you could just link to the post.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #2089
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Or you could just link to the post.
Added the link to the post. Now, on page 1 post 4, you have the link to the first SSR thread, the info from yesterday, and the link to top 10 questions.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #2090
marinadca
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I thought I had responded to a "which section" question in the past, but I'll be darned if I can find that post, so I'll start from scratch. Here are my two cents on the pros and cons of each section...
Thank you so much for this. This was exactly what I needed to make my decision. I think the Grandstand works best for us

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #2091
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

Just finished reading all 140 pages of the Part 2 post!! My eyes hurt and my brain is about ready to explode but it was worth it for all that I've learned.

We're traveling to WDW for 9 nights the second week in September. First 3 nights are club level at AKL, other 6 nights are in a THV. The trip originally started because my husband has to attend a conference at the Marriott World Center for work. We decided to add on a few days before and after the conference and also invited my parents (traveling with DD who will be 18 mos at the time).

I was reading reviews of the Marriott and the fact that we would have to take a shuttle just to get to our rental car in their parking structure really turned me off (especially because we would be paying for parking). So I was playing around with the Disney site and with the great 30% off sale found we could get a THV for nearly the same it was costing us for 2 standard rooms at the Marriott. When you factor in the savings on theme park parking, hotel parking, and free wi-fi, I really think we made out. Of course I do have to drop off DH at his conference bright and early at 6am on Monday, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice to stay in a THV. Plus it will be so much nicer to share one unit with my parents given the fact that we'll be spending most evenings back in the room due to DD not making it much past 9-10pm.

We're renting a car so I'm not worried about transportation but do have a question on where you check in for the THV, is it all done at Carriage House or is there someplace else?

We have 6 day hopper passes and 1 day at Universal (have to see Mr. Potter and friends) so we have quite a packed schedule. We'll be doing the Sunrise Savanna tour while staying at AKL which I'm really excited about.

I think we're going to drive most of the days to the park because I would feel more comfortable with DD in her car seat. Any tips from parents who have traveled with car seat age children, do you feel safe with them on your lap on the bus? What about the boat to DTD and on to PO, should I bring her small life jacket from home for the ride?

If we do end up driving to the parks is there an area you recommend parking (for Epcot and MK)? We don't mind walking and will have a compact stroller for DD.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer. I'm getting very excited for our trip. I went once as a child and stayed in the old Buena Vista Palace and DH and I went 12 years ago for the millennium celebration but stayed offsite.

Sorry for such a long post
Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2092
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeid View Post
When you factor in the savings on theme park parking, hotel parking, and free wi-fi, I really think we made out. Of course I do have to drop off DH at his conference bright and early at 6am on Monday, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice to stay in a THV. Plus it will be so much nicer to share one unit with my parents given the fact that we'll be spending most evenings back in the room due to DD not making it much past 9-10pm.

We're renting a car so I'm not worried about transportation but do have a question on where you check in for the THV, is it all done at Carriage House or is there someplace else?

I think we're going to drive most of the days to the park because I would feel more comfortable with DD in her car seat. Any tips from parents who have traveled with car seat age children, do you feel safe with them on your lap on the bus? What about the boat to DTD and on to PO, should I bring her small life jacket from home for the ride?
Sounds terrible to be roughing it at the THV.

We've always checked in at Carriage House, but never stayed at THV, so am not sure there is a difference, but I'm guessing not. As for transportation, we've been going yearly (or twice a year) since youngest was 18 months. She is now 8. We have always done Disney transportation to the parks. I find it very convenient and never thought of my children not being safe. As for boat rides, they are good size boats and I believe there are safety devices on the boat in case of an accident. Also, the water ways are patroled frequently, and again, we never had an issue. Then, you would need to carry the life jacket around with you the rest of the time.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #2093
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Just finished reading all 140 pages of the Part 2 post!! My eyes hurt and my brain is about ready to explode but it was worth it for all that I've learned.

We're traveling to WDW for 9 nights the second week in September. First 3 nights are club level at AKL, other 6 nights are in a THV. The trip originally started because my husband has to attend a conference at the Marriott World Center for work. We decided to add on a few days before and after the conference and also invited my parents (traveling with DD who will be 18 mos at the time).
Congrats on your trip!!! A friend just stayed in a THV and absolutely loved it. Yes, check-in at the Carriage House. She was so glad they had a car because the buses frustrated her. Driving to the parks has always seemed like more trouble than it's worth to me, but I know a lot of people prefer not to wait for the buses. You can also go to the grocery store if you want since the THV has the full kitchen.

The Sunrise Safari is great fun followed by the most fabulous breakfast. Just thinking about it is making me hungry.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #2094
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

Thank you AirGoofy and Pinkocto!!

We'll be taking the bus for the Sunrise Safari early in our stay so that should help us to gauge how it works out for us with her on our lap.

Good point about having to carry her life jacket with us if we bring it on the boat, hadn't thought of that.

I have to admit, reading all of your posts about DVC ownership got me to doing some research and DH and I may have to have a little chat about whether a resale contract might work out for us one day...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #2095
Pinkocto

Quote:
Thank you AirGoofy and Pinkocto!!

We'll be taking the bus for the Sunrise Safari early in our stay so that should help us to gauge how it works out for us with her on our lap.

Good point about having to carry her life jacket with us if we bring it on the boat, hadn't thought of that.

I have to admit, reading all of your posts about DVC ownership got me to doing some research and DH and I may have to have a little chat about whether a resale contract might work out for us one day...
I can't say enough good things about DVC, it is a fabulous program and I'm so glad I finally joined. One 'negative' is its made me obsessed with vacation even more than before

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #2096
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I can't say enough good things about DVC, it is a fabulous program and I'm so glad I finally joined. One 'negative' is its made me obsessed with vacation even more than before
It sounds like a great program. I don't fully understand all the details but if you're a Disney lover it certainly sounds like the way to go. My husband isn't big on vacation clubs because he doesn't like to vacation in the same area every year and wouldn't want to be tied down. But I see that you can use this at many different resorts around the world. That may be a selling point to him.

And just to keep this post on topic, 44 days until we arrive at Disney (47 until our THV portion!!) Getting very very excited.

Thinking we may have gone a bit overboard with the 6 day hopper passes, but they were only a few dollars more than 5 day (which were only a few more than a 4 day...)
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #2097
Pinkocto

Quote:
It sounds like a great program. I don't fully understand all the details but if you're a Disney lover it certainly sounds like the way to go. My husband isn't big on vacation clubs because he doesn't like to vacation in the same area every year and wouldn't want to be tied down. But I see that you can use this at many different resorts around the world. That may be a selling point to him.

And just to keep this post on topic, 44 days until we arrive at Disney (47 until our THV portion!!) Getting very very excited.

Thinking we may have gone a bit overboard with the 6 day hopper passes, but they were only a few dollars more than 5 day (which were only a few more than a 4 day...)
44 more day dance!!!

Just realized we'll be there at the same time

Yep, the tickets get much more affordable by day the more days you add, I understand completely

You can always go to a DVC presentation while you're there. They will pick you up wherever you are and drop you off anywhere afterwards. You'll also get free icecream from their icecream parlor. It's right behind the Carriage House at SSR, so you could also stop in anytime. They don't pressure you at all to buy. You could just learn what it's about and then see if you'd like to buy resale.

Sorry if that sounded pushy. I get really excited about DVC

Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #2098
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
44 more day dance!!!

Just realized we'll be there at the same time

Yep, the tickets get much more affordable by day the more days you add, I understand completely

You can always go to a DVC presentation while you're there. They will pick you up wherever you are and drop you off anywhere afterwards. You'll also get free icecream from their icecream parlor. It's right behind the Carriage House at SSR, so you could also stop in anytime. They don't pressure you at all to buy. You could just learn what it's about and then see if you'd like to buy resale.

Sorry if that sounded pushy. I get really excited about DVC
Not pushy at all, I love hearing about DVC and may pop on over there to take a peak. Can't hurt and I might learn something (dangerously) valuable. Plus the ice cream...

We'll be arriving 9/6 for 3 nights at AKL Club Level (not the DVC portion of AKL though).
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #2099
Pinkocto

Quote:
Not pushy at all, I love hearing about DVC and may pop on over there to take a peak. Can't hurt and I might learn something (dangerously) valuable. Plus the ice cream...

We'll be arriving 9/6 for 3 nights at AKL Club Level (not the DVC portion of AKL though).
I'll be there 9/3-9/10. It's the same CL no matter what room you're staying in. You're going to love the CL, it's wonderful

Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #2100
staceyeid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'll be there 9/3-9/10. It's the same CL no matter what room you're staying in. You're going to love the CL, it's wonderful
Oh very cool, our stays overlap then!!! Are you doing the sunrise safari? We're doing it on 9/9.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: