DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #2056
BirdsOfPreyDave


DIS Veteran
 
BirdsOfPreyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 5,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyLaPerle View Post
I assume there is a small store with some grocery items at SSR?

We are looking to make breakfast in our villa each day and I need to decide if garden grocer, etc. would be a wise choice. I'd like to get a loaf of bread, gallon of milk, orange juice, a dozen eggs and some cheese, etc.

Can I find most of these items there? How are the prices?

Any other advice? We've never been to SSR before, or prepared our own breakfasts.

Thanks!
You can find the grocery order sheet for each resort on the member web site. There's a $10 delivery fee if you want it delivered to your villa. (I think they'll actually put it in the fridge for you.) I think the selection and price on the grocery order sheet very closely matches what you'd find in the store at that resort. At SSR, the "groceries" are sold in the Artist's Palette.

Generally at all DVC resorts, the grocery selection isn't great and the prices are a little high. There are no fresh meats or vegetables. Everything is packaged food. (It's more like the selection at a 7-Eleven than a grocery store.) If you're going to be doing any real cooking in the room, you may want to consider a run to Publix or a grocery delivery service. If you're just looking to make some quick breakfast items, though, you can probably make due with what you'll find at the Artist's Palette.

Here are the prices listed online for the items you mention:

1/2 gallon of milk: $2.95
Dozen eggs: $1.95
Dietz & Watson Cheese Bricks (various flavors): $6.95
Kraft American Cheese Slices (6oz): $3.95
Country White bread: $4.29
Minute Maid Orange Juice (59oz): $4.49
__________________
Help! I'm addicted to profile badges! Check out my SSR FAQ here.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 07-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #2057
KelseyLaPerle
Mouseketeer
 
KelseyLaPerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 440

I forgot to mention that we are not DVC owners - we are staying via a transfer from RCI/BlueGreen. So, I suppose that takes grocery delivery off of our list of options.

Thanks for your information, it helps a lot. I think we'll be able to find just what we need without going off property.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
You can find the grocery order sheet for each resort on the member web site. There's a $10 delivery fee if you want it delivered to your villa. (I think they'll actually put it in the fridge for you.) I think the selection and price on the grocery order sheet very closely matches what you'd find in the store at that resort. At SSR, the "groceries" are sold in the Artist's Palette.

Generally at all DVC resorts, the grocery selection isn't great and the prices are a little high. There are no fresh meats or vegetables. Everything is packaged food. (It's more like the selection at a 7-Eleven than a grocery store.) If you're going to be doing any real cooking in the room, you may want to consider a run to Publix or a grocery delivery service. If you're just looking to make some quick breakfast items, though, you can probably make due with what you'll find at the Artist's Palette.

Here are the prices listed online for the items you mention:

1/2 gallon of milk: $2.95
Dozen eggs: $1.95
Dietz & Watson Cheese Bricks (various flavors): $6.95
Kraft American Cheese Slices (6oz): $3.95
Country White bread: $4.29
Minute Maid Orange Juice (59oz): $4.49
__________________
July 2003 - Honeymoon at All Star Sports
Nov. 2009 - All Star Music Family Suite
Nov. 2010 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
Aug. 2012 - Saratoga Springs
March 2013 - Pop Century
July 2013 - DCL - Wonder to Alaska
February 2014 - runDisney marathon weekend
July 2014 - Saratoga Springs
October 2014 - runDisney ToT!
KelseyLaPerle is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #2058
IandGsmom
DL veteran. WDW novice.
Would rather live in Pine Valley
 
IandGsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 746

Hi everyone! We own at SSR but havent stayed there yet. The only villas we have stayed at WDW has been BC since the boys love the pool and we love walking to Epcot.
I do want to try a THV but am a little nervous about it. If I loved the BC will we enjoy the THV or would you recommend the regular villas since they seen less secluded.
Thanks and I appreciate your opinions
__________________
Proud DVC owners at: Saratoga Springs, Aulani, Grand Californian
IandGsmom is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #2059
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 6,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyLaPerle View Post
I assume there is a small store with some grocery items at SSR?

We are looking to make breakfast in our villa each day and I need to decide if garden grocer, etc. would be a wise choice. I'd like to get a loaf of bread, gallon of milk, orange juice, a dozen eggs and some cheese, etc.

Can I find most of these items there? How are the prices?

Any other advice? We've never been to SSR before, or prepared our own breakfasts.

Thanks!
When we are two we hardly ever put an order in and pick up a few items at the resort. We may also throw a box of cereal in our luggage. My dd, her friend and I will be at SSR next month and I just placed a small order with gardengrocer. With the delivery charge, gas surcharge and tip, not sure it it was worth putting an order in. It really depends on the number of people, how many nights and how much you plan to eat in the room. Good luck.
__________________
DVC 09/00 OKW - 6/02 BCV

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #2060
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!
 
LoveMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 3,301

Quote:
Originally Posted by IandGsmom View Post
Hi everyone! We own at SSR but havent stayed there yet. The only villas we have stayed at WDW has been BC since the boys love the pool and we love walking to Epcot.
I do want to try a THV but am a little nervous about it. If I loved the BC will we enjoy the THV or would you recommend the regular villas since they seen less secluded.
Thanks and I appreciate your opinions
We stayed at THV this past May and I loved it. It was our own little house, I did not feel like I was 'at Disney' or at a hotel.

We had a car for 1 day to pick up groceries, etc. But mostly we used the busses. We don't mind walking so we walked from THV to the Springs (by passing the Grandstand bus pick up).

Others in our party used the internal bus from THV to the Springs, then to the parks.

We had some BCV lovers with us, they did not like the isolation of the THV, but I loved it. It was quiet, relaxing and we used the grill to cook out a couple of times.

I also loved the quiet pool, and it was quiet.

I'd say if you are looking for nice relaxing stay at WDW and don't want to be in the middle of 'it', choose THV. If you want to be in the thick of things, BCV may be a better choice.
__________________
LoveMickey is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2061
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs
 
disdadIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdadIL
Just put my deposit on an SSR resale. Waiting for ROFR from Disney. Sounds SSR folks are my kind of people!!!!
Just got word that Disney waived ROFR and I am just waiting for closing docs from the title company. Yay!!
disdadIL is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #2062
dbprimeaux
DIS Veteran
 
dbprimeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 698

CONGRATS!!!

Welcome Home!
__________________
DH MOM DS DS DD DDOG
dbprimeaux is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #2063
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.
 
Pinkocto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 7,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdadIL View Post
Just got word that Disney waived ROFR and I am just waiting for closing docs from the title company. Yay!!
Congratulations!!!
__________________
-Pam

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #2064
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdadIL View Post
Just got word that Disney waived ROFR and I am just waiting for closing docs from the title company. Yay!!
Great words to hear. Welcome Home.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #2065
Mobley5
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13

Hi! We leave for a week long vacation in a 2 bedroom at SSR in a few short weeks! I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced a resort only stay at SSR? We have been to Disney countless times so I'm not sure if we would miss the parks or not. We would like to enjoy some things we never seem to find time for when we are doing are typical park hopping. Typically we tour the parks in the am, use the pool in the afternoon, go to dinner and head back into a park for a few hours. Some of the things we would do instead of going in the parks would be rent bikes, enjoy the campfire at Fort Wilderness, eat dinner at the DTD and Boardwalk restaurants that we have not tried yet, explore some resorts that we would like to stay at in the future, let our girls enjoy all the kids activities at SSR and just relax!!! Our wedding anniversary is during our trip and we currently have breakfast ressies at Kona and dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe planned to celebrate. Are there any additional activities that we could do at SSR or anywhere else on property? I was thinking of looking into a fireworks cruise. Not sure if we are too close to our trip to be able to book something like that or not? My girls seem to be on board with this possible plan. At first they were thinking they would be bored, but the more we talk about things we could do the more they seem to like the idea. We have already budgeted tickets into our trip so if we get there and this plan flies out the window we could still go into the parks.
__________________
me , DH , DD13 , DD11 , DD9
Mobley5 is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #2066
srauchbauer
DIS Veteran
 
srauchbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,325

We will be staying at SSR in December (enjoying a different resort with DVC points). We are going to cook and eat in our one bedroom we prefer to eat in then eat out every meal. I am wondering does SSR have crockpots? and also what are the spice supplies like.
__________________
Disneyland 2006, 2009, 2010,2012
Disney World 2011 2x, 2012, 2013
Disney Cruise 2012 (Wonder, Fantasy), 2013 (Wonder), 2014 (Magic)
srauchbauer is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #2067
BirdsOfPreyDave


DIS Veteran
 
BirdsOfPreyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 5,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauchbauer View Post
We will be staying at SSR in December (enjoying a different resort with DVC points). We are going to cook and eat in our one bedroom we prefer to eat in then eat out every meal. I am wondering does SSR have crockpots? and also what are the spice supplies like.
DVC kitchens do not have crockpots, sorry. If you really want one, you could probably find a cheap one that you wouldn't mind abandoning if you do your grocery shopping at the Super Wal-Mart. A grocery delivery service like WeGoShop could also pick one of these up with your order.

I'm not sure what you mean by your spice question. With the exception of several coffee packs, DVC supplies no food items in the villas. This means there are also no spices in the rooms. If you're asking what spices the resort markets carry, it's a very, very limited selection -- as in salt and pepper.

BTW, if you plan to cook on your vacation often, you may want to investigate an owner's locker. I keep a bunch of spices in mine, and there are quite a few OL users who keep a crockpot.
__________________
Help! I'm addicted to profile badges! Check out my SSR FAQ here.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2068
BirdsOfPreyDave


DIS Veteran
 
BirdsOfPreyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 5,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobley5 View Post
Are there any additional activities that we could do at SSR or anywhere else on property?
The fireworks cruises are wonderful. We've done it twice, and it's certainly the most relaxing way to see the fireworks. Great fun!

Many of the backstage tours do not require park admission. I've never been on a tour we didn't enjoy. Since you have so much time at your disposal, you could also consider the Backstage Magic Tour -- an all-day, multi-park tour. Check out the options here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm

SSR offers a flower arranging class once a week, and you get to take your creation with you. I think it's $50. I've always wanted to do it, but haven't ever taken the time.

Speaking of that, be sure to check out the activities schedule they give you at check-in. It's always a very full page of things to do.

We really enjoyed the horse-drawn carriage ride at Port Orleans.

We went to Fantasia Gardens to play mini golf on our most recent trip. That's always fun. I'd recommend it after the sun goes down, though. There's a really good DVC discount both at Fantasia Gardens and Winter Summerland.

Outlet shopping (off property, but the ones on SR-535 are very close to SSR by taxi)

Pool hopping

Water park / Disney Quest

Check out a board game from the Community Hall (or pack your favorite from home)

Billiards at the Turf Club

Tennis or Shuffleboard (check out gear at the Community Hall)

Picnic/cookout -- Community grills at Congress Park and Grandstand. Check out utensils from Community Hall.

Fishing excursions: http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/fishing.htm

Hire a local photographer to take some family portait shots -- SSR bridge, Grand Floridian or Poly Beach, other picturesque spot

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique: http://www.wdwinfo.com/downtown/mark...ex.htm#bibbidi

Spa day

Ft Wilderness Archery Experience: http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/archery.htm

Disney Transportation: Boat Ride between Epcot and Hollywood Studios / Monorail from Transportation & Ticket Center to Epcot and back / Boat ride to Downtown Disney

Pirate Cruise: http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/piratecruise.htm

Wonderland Tea Party: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dinin...taurant.ID=227

Welcome Home Wednesday

Downtown Disney AMC Movie Theater -- they have some theaters with in-show dining now

Bay Lake Tower's Top of the World Lounge for fireworks (It will be open to all DVC members while you're there. You don't have to be staying at BLT.)
__________________
Help! I'm addicted to profile badges! Check out my SSR FAQ here.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 07-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2069
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobley5 View Post
Hi! We leave for a week long vacation in a 2 bedroom at SSR in a few short weeks! I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced a resort only stay at SSR? We have been to Disney countless times so I'm not sure if we would miss the parks or not. We would like to enjoy some things we never seem to find time for when we are doing are typical park hopping. Typically we tour the parks in the am, use the pool in the afternoon, go to dinner and head back into a park for a few hours. Some of the things we would do instead of going in the parks would be rent bikes, enjoy the campfire at Fort Wilderness, eat dinner at the DTD and Boardwalk restaurants that we have not tried yet, explore some resorts that we would like to stay at in the future, let our girls enjoy all the kids activities at SSR and just relax!!! Our wedding anniversary is during our trip and we currently have breakfast ressies at Kona and dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe planned to celebrate. Are there any additional activities that we could do at SSR or anywhere else on property? I was thinking of looking into a fireworks cruise. Not sure if we are too close to our trip to be able to book something like that or not? My girls seem to be on board with this possible plan. At first they were thinking they would be bored, but the more we talk about things we could do the more they seem to like the idea. We have already budgeted tickets into our trip so if we get there and this plan flies out the window we could still go into the parks.
In addition to Dave's great list, there is a golf course there as well as tennis courts. We did a SSR trip with no parks. It is great to be able to walk or boat to DTD and enjoy all the activities there.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion

Last edited by AirGoofy; 07-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.
AirGoofy is online now  
Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #2070
srauchbauer
DIS Veteran
 
srauchbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
DVC kitchens do not have crockpots, sorry. If you really want one, you could probably find a cheap one that you wouldn't mind abandoning if you do your grocery shopping at the Super Wal-Mart. A grocery delivery service like WeGoShop could also pick one of these up with your order.

I'm not sure what you mean by your spice question. With the exception of several coffee packs, DVC supplies no food items in the villas. This means there are also no spices in the rooms. If you're asking what spices the resort markets carry, it's a very, very limited selection -- as in salt and pepper.

BTW, if you plan to cook on your vacation often, you may want to investigate an owner's locker. I keep a bunch of spices in mine, and there are quite a few OL users who keep a crockpot.
thank you for response and suggestions. Yes I think an owners locker is exactly the way to go for us, will start looking into that option.
__________________
Disneyland 2006, 2009, 2010,2012
Disney World 2011 2x, 2012, 2013
Disney Cruise 2012 (Wonder, Fantasy), 2013 (Wonder), 2014 (Magic)

Last edited by srauchbauer; 07-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.
srauchbauer is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: