Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #76
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran
 
SoonerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,849

The pool was a relatively short walk from our building, which was very nice. But, when we got to the pool I was shocked to see that it was PACKED! We had a bit of trouble finding a couple of chairs, I commented to Mom that it had been easier to find a place to sit the last time we stayed at CSR and that was in July! This disappointed me as well, and had me nervous for the rest of the week......

When we finally found some chairs, we dropped our stuff and headed over to grab something to eat, we were both starving! I got the Siesta nachos and Mom had chicken strips & fries. We got bottles of water as our drink with our CS meal, but we saved them for later and filled our mugs to have with our lunch. The dessert options here leave a lot to be desired, you have your choice of a small pack of Oreo cookies or a bag of chips. We got the cookies and brought them home for the kids.

Finally settled, we began to eat our lunch and after the first few bites I realized that there was about a half inch of grease in the bottom of my plate - seems they don't use a strainer when putting on the meat - yuck! I ate what was on top and threw the rest away, sad that I had wasted a CS credit on that meal. See - I told you our trip didn't get off to the perfect start that I had envisioned!

It was also unseasonably hot and we were melting by this point, so into the pool we went - that made everything much better! It was very cool and refreshing. Then it was time to grab a frozen cocktail and relax. And, relax we did. I read my book, sipped my drink, and got into the water when I got too hot. I didn't take my camera to the pool, Mom did, but didn't take many pictures, here are a couple.





About 4:30 or so we decided to leave the pool and go back to the room to shower and get ready for dinner. I had been texting back and forth with Katie (kschafer) hoping that we would be able to meet up for a quick hello when she arrived. I sent her a text when we left the pool and apparently she had just been there - we barely missed each other!

When we got to the room we saw that our luggage had arrived, so we took a bit of time and unpacked, then hopped into the shower. I tried to take this pic of us in the mirror after we were all dressed up and ready to go - silly, I know!



We made our way to the front of the resort. I took this from the bridge on the way over



We then grabbed a cab to Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was totally worth the money to do this, just a $9 fare before tip and it was sooooo much faster than taking a bus to a park and then catching another bus to AKL! Soon we arrived, I just love this resort, it's so pretty! One day I will stay here!







We had some time before we had to check in, so we wandered around outside and watched some of the animals.











Then we went to check in for our dinner at Jiko




Very cool wine rack!

I was really excited for this meal, and it did not disappoint! You all are in for a treat too. If you've read my previous TRs, you know that I do not take food porn pics, but Mom encouraged me to do it, so I did! All of them were taken without a flash however, to avoid disturbing other diners, so some may be a bit dark.

I started off with a cocktail



Mmmmm, love Cosmos when they are made right, and this one was. So many places put too much cranberry juice in them, but they did not - it was perfect!

I forgot to take a picture of the bread, but it was very good as was the spread that it came with. I've completely forgotten what it was, but it was tasty! Mom and I both ordered the filet with mac & cheese - it was delish! I ate every last bite.



I tried to take a picture of the cool light fixtures they have that look like birds flying, but it kept coming out blurry - again, didn't want to use a flash!



For dessert we also had the same thing, pistachio crème brulee. It had a bit of chocolate in the bottom of the dish - yum, yum, yum! Not surprisingly, I ate every bite.



Our waitress was kind enough to take a picture of Mom & I together after our meal, then we rolled out of the restaurant. Stuffed and very satisfied!



Up Next: OMG! That guy was naked!
__________________
SoonerGirl is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #77
MeMom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post

Past the firepit, down that hall, press the elevator button, and go up two floors. That's the route we took to our paradise last weekend.

I hope you will get to stay there sometime. You'll love it!


Quote:
For dessert we also had the same thing, pistachio crème brulee. It had a bit of chocolate in the bottom of the dish - yum, yum, yum! Not surprisingly, I ate every bite.

Do they have this at Boma, I wonder? I know it is so good, and we have a Boma ADR for this summer.


Quote:
So cool that you got to spend time alone with Mom. Even when our kids have kids, us moms like to have one-on-one time with our kids still.
__________________
So Much to Celebrate http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066162
I Don't Know, I Don't Speak Wind http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2962147
All I want for Christmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2860915
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678


We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #78
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran
 
BippityBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,840

GREAT start to your vacation (aside from a few bumps in the road )

The pool looks amazing! I am sure it was nice on a hot day!

Jiko looks awesome!! Your food seemed very, very yummy I am just dying to find out if the guy was naked...oh my goodness
BippityBoo is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #79
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,717

Love the update! I love the pool at the CSR (sorry it was crowded though). You and your mom look so pretty at your dinner at Jiko. I love the pic of your mom in front of the giraffe on the wall. We've got breakfast ADR's at Boma, and I want to find that wall and have my pic there...I love giraffes.
__________________
KatMark is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #80
stace208
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,218

First, I gotta say, you and your mom are so pretty! I just think it is so wonderful when adult children do things like this with their parents. I lost my dad when I was 9 and my mom when I was 29. Although I was very close to her, we never traveled together and I wish we had. I plan on making it a priority with my two!

Ewww to the grease in the chips. That's just nasty.
The pool does look crowded. Almost like ours at spring break week.

Jiko looks really nice! John caught a glimpse of your food porn and was like "where's that???"

Naked...guy....
__________________
Stacy DH: DS 12 DD 10
stace208 is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #81
manntra
DIS Veteran
 
manntra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,378

Love the picture of your Mom on the bench at Jambo!! I never, ever tire of seeing pictures of the lobby
You also got pictures of one of my favorite safari animals which is now apparently on the savanna....the bondebot? I think that is what they are called or something like that....I noticed them the last day when I was on the balcony at Kidani
So happy you enjoyed Jiko....isn't the sauce under the macaroni so good? Mmmmmm!! I had three filets that week and I am all mooed out

Tracy
__________________
DVC Member 2007
Tracy Ziggy http://
manntra is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #82
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran
 
Charleston Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 21,553

Ewww to the grease in your nachos! Glad the dip in the pool, a drink, and relaxing restored your mood.

Dinner at Jiko looks delicious!!! That steak looks absolutely divine!

Oh, and hurray for the insurance being so easy!
Charleston Princess is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #83
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 19,048

Great update. Sorry the CS was so bad, but at least you had a nice afternoon at the pool. I had trouble finding a seat there last June. It was hard because I was watching my 9 yo nephew and I couldn't find a seat that faced the pool. When I tried to take my mojito near the pool I was seriously reprimanded.

You dinner at Jiko looks lovely. That is on my list of must try places. Smart idea to take a cab. Love your mom's pretty blue skirt. You both look so nice!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #84
MaryAz
DIS Veteran
 
MaryAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,275

Ack on the nasty CS, Yay for the yummy dinner at Jiko. What a nice pic of you and your Mom
__________________
Me Dh: DD 10 DD 8
MaryAz is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #85
Happydog
DIS Veteran
 
Happydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,962

Oh YAY! I am so glad you enjoyed Jiko's!!! Wasn't the decor in there amazing, I loved the birds too!! Darn if I don't get a photo next time! I am now wishing I had a Jiko ADR this summer!!!! Too many places to choose from! Maybe next time. You had some nerves b/c of your mom, I am sure -- wanting it to be a perfect trip for her. That can do it. Sometimes we worry about everyone else and how much they enjoy themselves it is easy to get caught up in that. Your mom seems to be just enjoying herself being with you, that is the best part.

A frozen beverage by the pool makes all the kinks go away!!!
__________________

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #86
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran
 
SoonerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,849

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Past the firepit, down that hall, press the elevator button, and go up two floors. That's the route we took to our paradise last weekend.

I hope you will get to stay there sometime. You'll love it!
What a fabulous way to spend your Mother's Day!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Do they have this at Boma, I wonder? I know it is so good, and we have a Boma ADR for this summer.
I don't think so. I've only eaten at Boma once though and it was 5 years ago, so they might and I'm just not remembering it. They do, however, have the very famous zebra domes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
So cool that you got to spend time alone with Mom. Even when our kids have kids, us moms like to have one-on-one time with our kids still.
This is the 2nd trip we have taken, just the two of us. Even though we live close to each other we're both so busy that it's rare for us to get to spend much time together, so this was really nice. I have a good friend who just burried her mother on Friday, so that really drove home the point that it's so important to enjoy each other while you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoo View Post
GREAT start to your vacation (aside from a few bumps in the road )

The pool looks amazing! I am sure it was nice on a hot day!

Jiko looks awesome!! Your food seemed very, very yummy I am just dying to find out if the guy was naked...oh my goodness
CSRs pool is very nice, and quite refreshing when it's so hot out!

I would highly recommend Jiko, it was sooooo good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Love the update! I love the pool at the CSR (sorry it was crowded though). You and your mom look so pretty at your dinner at Jiko. I love the pic of your mom in front of the giraffe on the wall. We've got breakfast ADR's at Boma, and I want to find that wall and have my pic there...I love giraffes.
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding that giraffe wall. If you just go straight through the lobby and out the back doors to the overlook area they have several little paths around where you can observe the animals, we found that bench and the wall on one of those paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
First, I gotta say, you and your mom are so pretty! I just think it is so wonderful when adult children do things like this with their parents. I lost my dad when I was 9 and my mom when I was 29. Although I was very close to her, we never traveled together and I wish we had. I plan on making it a priority with my two!

Ewww to the grease in the chips. That's just nasty.
The pool does look crowded. Almost like ours at spring break week.

Jiko looks really nice! John caught a glimpse of your food porn and was like "where's that???"

Naked...guy....
I'm sorry you lost your parents at such a young age. I have a really good friend who is just 33, she burried her mom on Friday and her dad about 10 years ago. No one should be without their parents when they are so young.

Inside the pool wasn't too bad, there were alot more people on the other side where the slide is. There we just alot of people sitting in the chairs, much more than what were actually in the water.

You guys should try Jiko sometime if you haven't already, it was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Love the picture of your Mom on the bench at Jambo!! I never, ever tire of seeing pictures of the lobby
You also got pictures of one of my favorite safari animals which is now apparently on the savanna....the bondebot? I think that is what they are called or something like that....I noticed them the last day when I was on the balcony at Kidani
So happy you enjoyed Jiko....isn't the sauce under the macaroni so good? Mmmmmm!! I had three filets that week and I am all mooed out

Tracy
I'm not sure of the name of that animal, but I thought he was really cool looking!
The steak, the macaroni, the sauce, it was all good. At first I thought mac & cheese was an odd pairing with a steak, but once I tasted it that thought was gone. I'm typically not a big beef eater myself, but I had two steaks that week - I totally get being all mooed out!
__________________
SoonerGirl is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #87
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran
 
SoonerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Ewww to the grease in your nachos! Glad the dip in the pool, a drink, and relaxing restored your mood.

Dinner at Jiko looks delicious!!! That steak looks absolutely divine!

Oh, and hurray for the insurance being so easy!
That grease was so nasty, I'm mean how hard would it be to use a slotted spoon???? But dinner at Jiko definitely made up for the yucky lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great update. Sorry the CS was so bad, but at least you had a nice afternoon at the pool. I had trouble finding a seat there last June. It was hard because I was watching my 9 yo nephew and I couldn't find a seat that faced the pool. When I tried to take my mojito near the pool I was seriously reprimanded.

You dinner at Jiko looks lovely. That is on my list of must try places. Smart idea to take a cab. Love your mom's pretty blue skirt. You both look so nice!
Yeah, that pool is pretty large too, you hate to not be close so that you can keep an eye on the kiddos. We saw the signs up and saw people getting yelled at for taking their drinks to the edge of the pool so we didn't try it. It sure would have been nice to sit on the ledge with a drink though!

Dinner at Jiko was really good, I was so glad we bit the bullet and reserved it. I contemplated not going there just because it's 2 credits, but it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Ack on the nasty CS, Yay for the yummy dinner at Jiko. What a nice pic of you and your Mom
Thanks Mary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Oh YAY! I am so glad you enjoyed Jiko's!!! Wasn't the decor in there amazing, I loved the birds too!! Darn if I don't get a photo next time! I am now wishing I had a Jiko ADR this summer!!!! Too many places to choose from! Maybe next time. You had some nerves b/c of your mom, I am sure -- wanting it to be a perfect trip for her. That can do it. Sometimes we worry about everyone else and how much they enjoy themselves it is easy to get caught up in that. Your mom seems to be just enjoying herself being with you, that is the best part.

A frozen beverage by the pool makes all the kinks go away!!!
My list of favorite restaurants at WDW just keeps growing! There are so many that I'd like to go to everytime, but I try to at least throw in a couple of new places each trip, which make that favorite list get longer!

I probably was a little on edge wanting everything to go perfectly for Mom, and there was just so much I wanted her to get to see and do, ya know?
__________________
SoonerGirl is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #88
kschafer
DIS Veteran
 
kschafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,178

First, I'm glad your insurance situation was so easy!!

I'm still bummed we just missed each other at the pool that afternoon but the next day made up for it

I of course had the filet at our Jiko meal and it was SO good!! That sauce was divine, I loved sopping it up with the mac and cheese. I was too full to finish the steak and barely had room to eat dessert but I took your recommendation
__________________
Me (Katie) DH (Greg) DS12 (Patrick) DS9 (Daniel)



June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #89
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran
 
MHTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,126

Your meal at Jiko looks delicious! After a not-so-great start (with the heat and crowds) to your trip, I'm glad you finished that evening on a positive note.

I'm not sure I want to know what that cliffhanger is about!
__________________
~Michelle



Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152


All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #90
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!
 
jenjolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Home in Florida and Texas
Posts: 8,157

First of all you and your mom looked fabulous!! Loved that picture of you guys in the mirror!!!

Jiko looks so yummy! I so want to eat there! It is on the ADR list for October, I can't wait~
__________________


My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.