Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #151
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Just want to say CONGRATS to both your boys! You definitely have many reasons to be proud of both of them!!!!! YAY!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #152
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I figure it's totally unfair for me to brag on one kid and leave the other one out, so if you'll indulge me for just a minute, I have to give the baby of the family his due He ended up with a certificate for the honor roll, top percentage in his class in math and reading, a trophy for being in the 100 point club for Accelerated Reader, a library award, which is basically a book chosen from the Sequoyah list for the following year, he got that for reading all of the books on the Sequoyah list for this year. And last but not least, a Citizenship Award for excellent behavior. I was a proud mama indeed this morning!

They're all great, but I would be the very proudest of that one.
Good job, Jared!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #153
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Way to go Justin and Jared!! I know part of who kids are is nature and a whole lot nurture. As parents, we try to do the best we can and sometimes just hope it's the right thing. It is such a great feeling to see our kids doing well!

I started our summer activities calendar this week and it is insanely busy! (better to keep them busy than bored at home and driving me crazy!) The funny thing is, I have nothing on the calendar that says "mom"....guess who the chauffeur is going to be?

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #154
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Oh, I remember very well. We started in the fall with football and basketball (the youngest played football, the oldest basketball), then both of them played baseball and then the youngest started with wrestling. I remember years when there were days I didn't see one or the other of my kids because the other one was somewhere else. And that didn't even include the many camps they went to.

I will say though that I am going to miss it. Our youngest finished his college wrestling career this past February and there will no longer be any "running around" to get to sporting events. Both boys now coach (the oldest coaches two baseball teams and the youngest coaches at the youth wrestling camp and will coach at the high school next fall), and I'm sure we will go watch them pass on what they learned through all of their years of playing.

Enjoy...it goes so fast.
I'm sure there will come a day when Don and I are sitting here wondering what to do with ourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Jared, you are the man!!!

Thanks Kathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsa1969 View Post
I'm subing, man I haven't been on in a week and your up to 10 pages.
Hey there, glad you made it over!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #155
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Just want to say CONGRATS to both your boys! You definitely have many reasons to be proud of both of them!!!!! YAY!!!
Thanks! I am pretty proud - most of the time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
They're all great, but I would be the very proudest of that one.
Good job, Jared!
You know what's funny, that child is a Chatty Cathy at home. He's into everything and all over the place. But when he crosses through those school house doors he flips a switch! Wish he'd flip it at home every now and then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
Way to go Justin and Jared!! I know part of who kids are is nature and a whole lot nurture. As parents, we try to do the best we can and sometimes just hope it's the right thing. It is such a great feeling to see our kids doing well!

I started our summer activities calendar this week and it is insanely busy! (better to keep them busy than bored at home and driving me crazy!) The funny thing is, I have nothing on the calendar that says "mom"....guess who the chauffeur is going to be?
Raising kids is like throwing darts in the dark - you just hope and pray that you hit the right spot and it sticks! It's to think every now and then that we're doing something right

I hear ya, chauffeur reporting for duty! In addition to Justin's stuff, Jared is still playing baseball and he always goes to a baseball and basketball camp every summer - this year he wants to add a football camp too!

I've got an update ready to post - I get to meet you!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #156
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Day 2, Sunday May 2nd

We set the alarm for 7am, and got moving without much trouble at all. We were ready and headed out to the bus stop in plenty of time to arrive at Animal Kingdom before park opening at 9am. Our plan was to grab a FP for Everest and then go ride the Safari before it got too terribly hot (which it was on this day!). As we approached the bus stop we saw that there was a bus there, and it was going to Animal Kingdom - uh oh, better hurry! We picked up the pace to a slow jog and waved our arms trying to get the driver to wait, but he either didn't see us or he didn't care, because he drove away when we were just steps from the stop - drat!

So, we sat down to wait, and wait, and wait...........

Not sure how long it was, but I counted two of every other bus before another one came for AK. So much for being at the park before opening! The only bright spot in having missed the first bus was that Katie (kschafer) was on the same bus as we were, heading to AK. It was standing room only on the bus, so we didn't get a chance to talk on the ride over, but Mom and I waited for her when we got off. We greeted each other like old friends, it was so nice to finally meet in person!

We headed into the park on what was supposed to be a 'level 4' day, meaning LOW crowds - ummmmm, sure whatever! When Katie posts about this morning I'm sure she will post the pic of the entrance that she took showing what a 'level 4' crowd looks like - it was far from sparse!

Since we were late getting into the park and were going to hang with Katie for a bit on this morning, we decided to wait on the EE FP and just head straight to the safari. First we stopped for a photopass pic though, and I had the photographer take one with my camera as well

Then we made our way to

and back to

The posted wait time said 20 minutes, but the line looked considerably longer, so we decided to grab a FP and go in search of the baby gorilla on the

First we saw some naked mole rats

and a HUGE toad

Next were the hippos, but they were too far away from the glass to get a decent photo. I did however have to take a pic in honor of my boys

They stick their head in this skull everytime we walk this trail, so I had to do it for them!

Next we saw the meerkats

And finally the gorillas. I think I could spend an hour or more in here watching the gorillas, they are just so fascinating to me! Their eyes are so expressive, makes you wonder what it is that they are thinking. Here are a few pics - enjoy!

We were searching high and low for that elusive mama gorilla and her new baby though and hadn't been able to find her. A CM told us that she was hanging around towards the back and to keep an eye out for her, she also told us that the baby had learned to hang onto the mom, so to watch for that as well. Finally, we saw her, pacing towards the back, the mama wasn't interested in putting on a show for us however, so we had to snap fast! This was the best of the few shots I took - see the sweet little baby hanging on underneath the mother?

Continued in the next post

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 05-21-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #157
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

When we finished the trail, we still had about 3 minutes to kill before our FP window opened up. Mom found it quite amusing that they would be that particular about the FP return time, we assured that they would indeed not let us into the FP line even one minute before we were supposed to be there. I took a few pictures while we waited

One of our 'level 4' crowd (keep in mind it was still morning - you should have seen this place by lunchtime!)

Soon it was time to board our jeep for our two week safari!

We were treated to some very good views of the giraffes, they were right next to the road

Saw the baboon, which I think I've only caught sight of once before

Always love the elephants!

To be honest with you, I didn't even see these cheetahs - I pointed my camera in the direction that our guide said they were and snapped, this is what I got

This white rhino was incredibly close to the road as well - I probably could have reached out and touched him!

We were also able to catch a glimpse of the lioness and the lion

We enjoyed our trip, but darned if our safari wasn't cut short by those dreaded poachers AGAIN!

Coming up: Did that tree move?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #158
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Holy cow!! YIKES on the crowds!! You got some amazing pics of the animals!! Love the Mommy gorilla carrying her baby! Too cute!!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #159
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

We had gone to AK on that Saturday and I think it was just as crowded and hot! We got to see the baby gorilla hanging of the mama gorilla too!

Looks like you had a fantastic safari trip! You saw quite a few animals in you two weeks!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #160
kschafer
DIS Veteran

I am SO stealing some of your pictures from this morning! Yours turned out much better than mine...in fact maybe I will reference this post in lieu of my own when I get to this point in my TR

It was so great meeting you and your sweet Mom and getting to hang out with you for a bit!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #161
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Awww, how disappointing it was to see anything but a level 4 crowd! I wish that one day, DISers could rent out the entire park and just enjoy it together! We wouldn't have to deal with rudeness, and if it's really crowded, it's all people we love anyway!

Yours is the second TR this morning that I saw pictures of the gorillas! I never appreciated them before or cared much about them, but I think i'd love to see their expressive eyes, as you said. That's actually a lot more interesting than seeing the smaller animals. What beautiful creatures!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #162
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Awesome update! I love the Animal Kingdom. That is crazy about the crowds though.

It's funny how you were searching for the baby gorilla...I've read so many TRs where people wanted to see it but didn't. When we were there we saw the baby and honestly I had no clue there even was a new gorilla! Maybe that is part of the secret to seeing it- go in clueless.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #163
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Congrats to Jared! He did so well this year!

Great shots of the meerkats and the gorillas. I just love how that baby gorilla hangs on underneath its momma!

I always love the Africa section of Animal Kingdom -- such great theming!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #164
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

UGH! Stinky crowds, but great pics!! The mama and her baby are sooo cute!! How great you go to meet your DIS friend! I have yet to do that. I am looking forward to reading more!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #165
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update. I love the AK and would rather go there than the Studios. But for this trip I think we will miss it because there isn't much Mark will be able to do at the AK after his surgery as far as rides go.

Your pictures are great...especially of the giraffes (my favorite) and the elephants (Mark's favorite).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: