Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1171
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms

We went through a similar thing with #1. For the first year, we were always worried when he got sick. We ended up in the ER a few times because he wouldn't eat as much and his weight would just plummet.

With #2, I started supplementing right away. I would BF then give her a bottle. She wouldn't always finish the bottle, but at least she wouldn't be hungry. I'd give her a feeding at 9pm, then my DH would take over until 1am. At that point, I'd bring her in bed and BF while lying on my side.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of comments on co-sleeping, but it was the best solution for us. It allowed me to sleep while she could feed every 1 to 2 hours. Even with the constant night feeding, it still took me almost 3 months to have enough milk so we didn't need to supplement.

Both my kids were born at the same weight. #2 shot up to 70 percentiles within a month. Stayed there for 3 months until we stopped supplementing, then settled around 50%. We don't worry as much when she gets sick and doesn't eat.

I want to note that when I said my milk came in, I was never one of those women who had a lot! I was not able to pump in excess to store in the freezer. Even when I tried adding pumping sessions at work or the herbal stuff, it didn't work. It was always just enough.

I also did not lose weight while BFing. With #1, I didn't lose weight until I stop. This was because my milk would decrease if I skipped meals, if I didn't sleep enough, or if I was stressed

Pumping worked well for me. If it works for you, consider taking a day off from BFing so you can relax. Pumping on a schedule is less stressful than trying to feed a baby on demand.

I wish you the best luck with the new baby. Don't feel that you have to BF 100% of the time. I feel that something is better than nothing. And your special bond with the baby will not just be from BFing. You're the mommy, the bond is there no matter what you feed her
No comment here co sleeping is the best. You can sleep and nurse at the same time. Helps mommy get her rest too.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #1172
mmps108
Mouseketeer

Kind of off topic but I had a question about feeding solids to my LO. She'll be 8 months by the time we go and I'm guessing will still be nursing 4x a day. We've been doing baby led weaning so she's not really eating purees unless you count applesauce. Do you bring baby food with you? Or does your LO eat off your plate? I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...
2008 Disney Wonder 4 night w/ DH & DPs
2009 Disneyland first trip!
2011 OKW with whole family
2013 OKW with whole family including 2 new additions!
mmps108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #1173
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmps108 View Post
Kind of off topic but I had a question about feeding solids to my LO. She'll be 8 months by the time we go and I'm guessing will still be nursing 4x a day. We've been doing baby led weaning so she's not really eating purees unless you count applesauce. Do you bring baby food with you? Or does your LO eat off your plate? I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...
I bring the pouch baby food with me. It's easier to deal with and she can eat it without a spoon. We'll offer her some table food then finish with the pouch and milk. I bring my own puffs but will buy the cheerios when we get there. Another option is to pack baby cereal in a container with you to the parks. You'd only have to add water.

Fries are usually a good option. They will usually have pre-sliced apples or some kind of fruit. Both my kids favs are the fish and chips CS in England. And you can probably request scrambled eggs anytime of day at the larger CS.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #1174
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...
For mine, it's more embarrassing when we do a nice sit down dinner. We went to Flying Fish in May. My DD was singing loudly, then started to yell when she saw something she wanted on our plate. Grandma ended up finishing before dessert and took the kids out. Even then, the floor around our table was a big mess! We got some looks from single couples.

The only thing that would have made it more embarrassing is if she decided she wanted to nurse right there and started pulling my shirt off

Character meals we don't care. It's loud enough there that no one will be bothered by crying or screaming babies.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #1175
Meshell2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DD is 9 mos now and we started BLW at 6 mos. we only bring pouches for times when I don't feel like ordering something she can eat......but really now she can deal with just about any texture....including ribs! My DD has no teeth so thats not really a factor. She holds the pouch herself when she does eat them and just sucks it down without a spoon. As my only BLW baby she is the EASIEST to feed even more so than my picky 4 and 6 year old! They really do catch on fast when they learn to chew before they learn to swallow. We just got back from the beach and she ate off our plates, she also drinks out of a straw, the pouches taught her that I believe. If traveling for a long vacation I think I would bring my own organic whole milk yogurt and use my fridge in my hotel....just so that once a day she got more fat and protein, and the of course some fruit pouches......toddler snacks are already not her favorite since she chews so well she prefers Cheerios. I bet you will have a better idea about a week before your trip what you need to bring. DD eats a ton and still nurses 5+ times a day.

At fast food she usually gets apple slices, Cheerios out of the diaper bag, and maybe a few fries....but on a long vacation I would try not to order those a lot due to the salt. They also make hummus is single serve travel packs, I like to carry those if I feel like she needs some more food that's got more fat/ protein.

The first month of BLW u may feel like ur lo will never get it....and then one day they will just take off, and you will have funny stares from people she they see ur baby eating a drumstick or ribs....and lots of "how old is she?" HTH
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1176
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I posted here back in December and want to thank everyone for their advice and help.

But now i'm hoping for some help in the weaning department. I pumped exclusively since DS was 3 months (is a little over 10 months now) and i'm done. I went as long as I possibly could - didn't think i'd make it to 6 months, much less 10- and I have a good supply in my freezer.

I went from 2 pumps a day for a week, to one pump a day for a couple days, then one pump every other day. Now I haven't pumped for about 5 days, and my breasts feel weird. Lumpy and kind of hurts. It doesn't feel the way I felt when I was engorged. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to alleviate this soreness or to make sure my milk is completely dry?

Thanks for any help!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #1177
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface
I posted here back in December and want to thank everyone for their advice and help.

But now i'm hoping for some help in the weaning department. I pumped exclusively since DS was 3 months (is a little over 10 months now) and i'm done. I went as long as I possibly could - didn't think i'd make it to 6 months, much less 10- and I have a good supply in my freezer.

I went from 2 pumps a day for a week, to one pump a day for a couple days, then one pump every other day. Now I haven't pumped for about 5 days, and my breasts feel weird. Lumpy and kind of hurts. It doesn't feel the way I felt when I was engorged. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to alleviate this soreness or to make sure my milk is completely dry?

Thanks for any help!
I have heard cabbage leaves help to dry up the milk and gives some relief too. I used to take a nice hot shower and with the hot water running on my breast I would massage them.

Sounds like you have dried up but just have some milk that has hardened in some spots. I had that happen when I stopped nursing my one DD.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1178
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
I'm tandem nursing currently - Aspen is 3 weeks, Levi will be 3 years in a few days. He's only nursing a few times per week at night before bed though, so no nursing in public at WDW, tons of it with my itty bitty though! We head down in November!
Whaaaaaaaat? I didn't know you were a DISer!!! When diaperswappers/Facebook and the DIS worlds collide. Haha When in November are you going? I hope that Judah, hubby and I can go for festival of the masters.

And to stay on topic I hope to be nursing a 4 month old at Disney in November. Lol.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1179
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
I have heard cabbage leaves help to dry up the milk and gives some relief too. I used to take a nice hot shower and with the hot water running on my breast I would massage them.

Sounds like you have dried up but just have some milk that has hardened in some spots. I had that happen when I stopped nursing my one DD.
I had read about cabbage leaves too, so i'll pick up some today. My breasts were really hard and uncomfortable today, so I ended up pumping for five minutes on each side to relieve some of the pressure. Hopefully it didn't hurt the cause.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #1180
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshell2002 View Post

My DD is 9 mos now and we started BLW at 6 mos. we only bring pouches for times when I don't feel like ordering something she can eat......but really now she can deal with just about any texture....including ribs! My DD has no teeth so thats not really a factor. She holds the pouch herself when she does eat them and just sucks it down without a spoon. As my only BLW baby she is the EASIEST to feed even more so than my picky 4 and 6 year old! They really do catch on fast when they learn to chew before they learn to swallow. We just got back from the beach and she ate off our plates, she also drinks out of a straw, the pouches taught her that I believe. If traveling for a long vacation I think I would bring my own organic whole milk yogurt and use my fridge in my hotel....just so that once a day she got more fat and protein, and the of course some fruit pouches......toddler snacks are already not her favorite since she chews so well she prefers Cheerios. I bet you will have a better idea about a week before your trip what you need to bring. DD eats a ton and still nurses 5+ times a day.

At fast food she usually gets apple slices, Cheerios out of the diaper bag, and maybe a few fries....but on a long vacation I would try not to order those a lot due to the salt. They also make hummus is single serve travel packs, I like to carry those if I feel like she needs some more food that's got more fat/ protein.

The first month of BLW u may feel like ur lo will never get it....and then one day they will just take off, and you will have funny stares from people she they see ur baby eating a drumstick or ribs....and lots of "how old is she?" HTH
We have had the same experience at 11 months my kiddo eats everything. We just give her a portion of whatever we eat and she scarfs it down.
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #1181
CowgirlUp89
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to go through and read more of this thread!!!!

I'm pregnant and due late Sept. and we're going on a big family trip to WDW the first week of Dec. so I'm looking for LOTS of advice on taking a breastfeeding infant into the parks. Lol. Thanks a bunch!!!!!
CowgirlUp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #1182
brightspark
Wants to try the happy soap
I don't like coffee I'm afraid
Who is tour guide mike?

Quote:
Exactly this! We are travelling tomorrow and this week I've been asking questions on here about the food available at different places as my ds (10 months) eats truck loads of fruit and cooked veg. He has only just cut his first 2 teeth this week and I don't trust him with uncooked carrot and apple yet which seems to be the main fresh stuff available with QS meals. We haven't done it yet, but as we are there for 18 days (most of that at WDW) I think we're going to do a garden grocer delivery. We will buy fresh veg and fruit and also some canned fruit and some pasta. That way I can always carry something healthy for him to eat.

Also it's been pointed out to me that Character Buffets particularly breakfasts have a really good selection of fruit so we will make the most of those (we're doing a few) and apparantly one of the water parks has a make your own fruit salad with things like water melon etc, we will definitely make one or two to take away with us! DVC resorts have got small stores with a small selection of things like boxes of cereals and some limited fruit to buy, so could be worth checking those out too.

I'll let you know how we get on...

As someone else said our BLW baby is so much easier to feed than DS5. He is so fussy and most of our meals revolve around whether there is anything on the menu he will eat He's improving, but I don't want meals to be a battle when we're on holiday.

xx

WDW 2003 (offsite); 2005 Caribbean Beach; 2006 ASMu; Jan 2007 VB, SSR and AKL!!! Nov 2007 OKW and POP; Jan 2010 SSR and BCV; Dec 2011 SSR; Aug 2013 AKV
brightspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #1183
mmps108
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspark View Post

Exactly this! We are travelling tomorrow and this week I've been asking questions on here about the food available at different places as my ds (10 months) eats truck loads of fruit and cooked veg. He has only just cut his first 2 teeth this week and I don't trust him with uncooked carrot and apple yet which seems to be the main fresh stuff available with QS meals. We haven't done it yet, but as we are there for 18 days (most of that at WDW) I think we're going to do a garden grocer delivery. We will buy fresh veg and fruit and also some canned fruit and some pasta. That way I can always carry something healthy for him to eat.

Also it's been pointed out to me that Character Buffets particularly breakfasts have a really good selection of fruit so we will make the most of those (we're doing a few) and apparantly one of the water parks has a make your own fruit salad with things like water melon etc, we will definitely make one or two to take away with us! DVC resorts have got small stores with a small selection of things like boxes of cereals and some limited fruit to buy, so could be worth checking those out too.

I'll let you know how we get on...

As someone else said our BLW baby is so much easier to feed than DS5. He is so fussy and most of our meals revolve around whether there is anything on the menu he will eat He's improving, but I don't want meals to be a battle when we're on holiday.

xx
Can't wait to hear!! We're staying DVC and getting garden grocer too. Breakfast should be easy and I guess I'll make sure we have some packaged foods to give her at lunch. And I guess I'm going to have to eat healthier! Ha! We're only eating 3 TS and all breakfasts are in the villa. Since we are flying SW we have more baggage space to bring the non-perishable stuff with.
2008 Disney Wonder 4 night w/ DH & DPs
2009 Disneyland first trip!
2011 OKW with whole family
2013 OKW with whole family including 2 new additions!
mmps108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #1184
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
Whaaaaaaaat? I didn't know you were a DISer!!! When diaperswappers/Facebook and the DIS worlds collide. Haha When in November are you going? I hope that Judah, hubby and I can go for festival of the masters.

And to stay on topic I hope to be nursing a 4 month old at Disney in November. Lol.

Duuuuuuuude! Awesomeness! November 18-23/24 We went last year and the year before around the same time and loved it.

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #1185
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Just thought I'd share a quick update on my low milk supply. I saw a doctor today who specializes in breastfeeding and I most likely have insufficient glandular tissue to fully support breastfeeding. Glad to know the reason why...just waiting to get some tests back to rule out a hormone or thyroid issue. I'm going to try domperidone for a month to see if I can increase supply with what tissue I have.

Looks like the combo breastfeeding and formula feeding is likely here to stay.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: