Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1051
PrincessMommy05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
After reading this thread yesterday, I started practicing feeding him with a larger receiving blanket over him to see how he would react to be covered up. He did very well! I'll continue to do this often so he can get used to being covered up.

Also, there are tons of pages on this thread, but what do you guys think about clothes? I ALWAYS wear Disney shirts on Disney vacations, so am trying to think about how to incorporate BF into it. Has anyone tried wearing a regular cami underneath a shirt, but not using the straps on the cami? Rather turning the cami into a tube top of sorts, under the shirt, so I would just need to pull the shelf of the cami down so my tummy and sides will still be covered? I hope this makes sense. I have a couple of nursing camis that I ordered from target, but they seem to 'flare' out at the bottom. Kind of like maternity/nursing camis. I don't want to have a bunch of fabric rolling up under my shirt.
There's something called an Undercover Mama that I swore by when I had to NIP. It clips onto your regular nursing bra (nursing tanks never had enough support IMO) and covers all the way down to your pants. Kind of like a cami without the straps. I wore mine almost every day for the 20 months my son nursed.

I also invested in a cover that went around my neck. DS went for his second time at about 8 months so would have pulled a blanket off in a heartbeat. Having the cover secured really allowed me to relax and enjoy people watching while he nursed.

Also I didn't read all 70 pages, but there's a great little alcove over by the Magic Carpet ride in MK. With my older daughter it was great because I was secluded and could nurse in peace but I could also watch her enjoy the ride with her grandparents.
PrincessMommy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1052
may_baby06
Mouseketeer

i've breastfed on 3 trips now. I have a nursing cover that I take with me and when DD gets hungry I'll find a bench or just sit off to the side on the ground and feed her. Usually Dh takes our older DD on a ride or something while I feed sister or we will get her a snack too. I'm not comfortable just popping out a **** and letting her go at it but I found it easy to do it anywhere with a cover. So much easier then going to a BCC all the time.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #1053
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Lesha - I was nervous about NIP first too. So what I did was practice in front of a mirror at home with a receiving blanket over one shoulder. Then out in public. I stopped using a cover fairly quickly after that though - I got a lot more comfortable. I don't use one and don't flash anyone. I even wear regular clothes - but I'm small chested and short waisted. Do what you're comfortable with, but also know it may change over time! A sling could also provide some coverage in a simple way.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #1054
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

It's so nice to see support from you guys

The other day, I finally breastfed at a restaurant! I brought a bottle just in case, and thank goodness I brought it. I was nursing him for a little over 5 minutes with a receiving blanket over me, and it was SWELTERING in the restaurant. People around us were even complaining about how hot it was in there. Poor DH had to step outside to get some air. My son's face was bright red under the blanket and knew he wasn't comfortable because he kept squirming so I had to stop.

I know, not very long, but it's a step in the right direction.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1055
PrincessLiz
Earning My Ears

I want to say thanks to everyone who posted tips in this thread. I just got back from a week trip and was able to find the quiet areas quite easily, but ended up nursing wherever most of the time.

Before the trip, I was never able to nurse in a carrier, after the first day, my little girl decided that was best and it worked out perfectly. Nobody knew she was nursing in there and they would come over to talk to her, while I prayed she stayed latched on.

I tried to use the baby centers at Epcot and MK, but since both were rooms with 4-5 rocking chairs in it, my little stinker wanted to check out the other occupants instead.

I was able to ride the peoplemover multiple times in a row for napping, one of the cast members told me I was welcome to stay on.

7/88 - offsite, 7/04 - PORS, 6/06 - GF, 12/07 - OKW, 9/08 - PORS, 12/10 - POLY, 11/12 - WL
PrincessLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #1056
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Wanted to let everyone know my NIP experience

We went to Disneyland last week, kind of as a trial run for WDW in 24 days (plus our AP's were going to expire)

The first time I actually BF him, was right when we were entering the park on the second day. We grabbed a bench in town square right before walking down main street and DH helped me hold the blanket up because it was windy. I had worn a Disney tshirt with a cami with the straps pulled down underneath it and a nursing bra. It was really nice to just pull the cami bra shelf down and undo my bra. DS did really good! Even when the Main Street band came and sat down behind us and played! Did not get one look at all, even with a blanket over my shoulder. One older woman was smiling at me, I believe in approval.

Calm and collected after eating

Bring on WDW!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #1057
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

How adorable!!! He's a cutie. The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll be. I nursed my daughter until she self weaned at 20 months old and am currently nursing my 1 year old. You can imagine all the places I played buffet, lol.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #1058
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
How adorable!!! He's a cutie. The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll be. I nursed my daughter until she self weaned at 20 months old and am currently nursing my 1 year old. You can imagine all the places I played buffet, lol.
LOL! Love that word buffet!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #1059
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
LOL! Love that word buffet!

Definitely feels like that, especially once they start tugging at your shirt and/or once they learn how to unhook the nursing bra, lol.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #1060
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

Hello breastfeeding mamas. I'm still nursing my 27 month old and we just found out we are expecting baby #3. Does anyone have experience nursing through pregnancy? I'm not entirely sure I want to tandem nurse, but my son isn't ready to wean yet either... He's down to only nursing at bedtime, naptime, onece during the night, first thing in the morning, maybe once during the day, and if he's sick or gets hurt. I'm stuck between trying to gently wean before the new baby comes, or letting him continue. I do know oftentimes pregnancy can cause a decrease in milk supply (which I can already tell), so I'm really just hoping that my milk supply continues to decrease and he'll just wean on his own when there's no more milk.

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #1061
kohlby
DIS Veteran

DSNYMama - My supply completely disappears at a mere 4-5 weeks pg, but my nurslings still nursed. At around 20 weeks, my early colostrum started, so that got it up to low supply from no supply. So, no milk doesn't mean the end of nursing. I found nursing while pg to be harder than tandem nursing. I actually think not tandem nursing would have been harder than tandem! I had two pairs and they were different experiences. I went on to tandem my first two kids for 25 months. And the second pair, which included the middle child, for 3 years - so you know it couldn't have been that hard!

*I did nightwean my oldest before I got pg the first time around, but he still woke and took longer to fall asleep without. He continued the asking for over a year before I gave in - since then it was waking up the newborn. The second time around, I didn't try to nightwean and found night nursing two wasn't a big deal - other than feeling like a rotisserie chicken sometime!

The book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" is a great resource.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #1062
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
Hello breastfeeding mamas. I'm still nursing my 27 month old and we just found out we are expecting baby #3. Does anyone have experience nursing through pregnancy? I'm not entirely sure I want to tandem nurse, but my son isn't ready to wean yet either... He's down to only nursing at bedtime, naptime, onece during the night, first thing in the morning, maybe once during the day, and if he's sick or gets hurt. I'm stuck between trying to gently wean before the new baby comes, or letting him continue. I do know oftentimes pregnancy can cause a decrease in milk supply (which I can already tell), so I'm really just hoping that my milk supply continues to decrease and he'll just wean on his own when there's no more milk.
My own experience was that once my milk supply severely dropped (around 25ish weeks), my son very quickly lost interest. He would ask to nurse, latch on, nurse for maybe 10 seconds, and then pop off and be done. After a few weeks of that, he stopped asking to nurse at all - he was completely weaned when I was 28 weeks pregnant. He was still nursing 4-5 times a day before I became pregnant, but once my milk was gone, he wasn't willing to sit still long enough to nurse simply for comfort.

To be honest, I thought I'd be very sad when he stopped, but I felt nothing but relief that he was done, at that point in my pregnancy.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #1063
HulaMinnie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
I've left baby at home before(just for a weekend) and pumped at the parks in the babycare centers. But I just pumped and dumped(as much as it killed me I just didn't see how I could safely store it until I got home.)
I know it's months later, but the first aid centers will store your pump as well as your pumped milk in a refrigerator while you're at the parks! In every park, it looks like the first aid is right next to each baby care center. Pumps are considered medical devices. I even called guest relations to make sure, since we're leaving on New Years Day for our first trip with DS (4mo)! I exclusively pump and didn't want to lug around more than I have to at the parks and wouldn't want my nice pump to be damaged (I have the Ameda Purely Yours, which works great). I love pumping (not so much the cleanup) because he's doing so well with the consistency now, but it can be a hassle and I'm a little nervous about being punctual with my pumping at WDW. I'm mostly worried for Epcot because if we're all the way in "France" or something, it's a long trek to the baby care centers. Was this a problem for any of you EPs?

Last edited by HulaMinnie; 12-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.
HulaMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #1064
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaMinnie View Post
I know it's months later, but the first aid centers will store you pump as well as your pumped milk in a refrigerator while you're at the parks! In every park, it looks like the first aid is right next to each baby care center. Pumps are considered medical devices. I even called guest relations to make sure, since we're leaving on New Years Day for our first trip with DS (4mo)! I exclusively pump and didn't want to lug around more than I have to at the parks and wouldn't want my nice pump to be damaged (I have the Ameda Purely Yours, which works great). I love pumping (not so much the cleanup) because he's doing so well with the consistency now, but it can be a hassle and I'm a little nervous about being punctual with my pumping at WDW. I'm mostly worried for Epcot because if we're all the way in "France" or something, it's a long trek to the baby care centers. Was this a problem for any of you EPs?
I'm looking forward to hearing your report on how EPing went while you were in WDW! I am EPing as well, and we're taking DD (then 8months) in March. I'd be interested to know what your schedule of pumping was like and how manageable it was in the parks!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #1065
olive
Mouseketeer

I started another thread on this but Sweet Missy suggested I try posting here, too (thanks, Sweet Missy!).

Has anyone used an sns to nurse in the parks? Any tips? I can't nurse my son without the sns except first thing in the morning now that he is nearly 5 months old and eats a ton. I can't manage doing it discretely with my regular nursing cover, so I am guessing there will just have to be a bunch of stops at the baby center. That is a little stressful for me because he fusses while eating when he knocks the tube out or locks it or similar. I would love to hear from anyone who has used An sns/lact aid at the parks.

We are flying out Saturday so I am really focused on getting this figured out in advance.

Thanks!!
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: