Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #1036
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimichanga
We're taking our first trip to WDW as a family at the end of June. Should be nice and hot for my 7 month old

I figured Disney would be nursing friendly, so I'm happy to see this thread. I hope to still be nursing in June (baby due in December) but I always take things one day at a time with nursing.

I'm getting a wrap and hoping to just wear the baby during our trip. We will hopefully figure things out so she can nurse in the wrap and no one else is wiser.

Haven't had time to read the rest of the thread, so I'll go and see what rides/places are "better" than others for NIP.
We just got back from taking our 7 month old and it was awesome. I used a Beco Gemini carrier and loved it. It was much cooler than many wraps, super comfortable, and very quick and easy. I haven't been able to nurse in any carrier (wrap, ring sling, or Beco) but i wish I could!

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #1037
Avojeo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwereindisney

i pumped in the parks - it was a challenge but we survived i personally found it easier to go back to babycare center rather then get set up in a more random spot. mk and hollywood studios are small enough IMHO to get back to easily every two hours. epcot the baby care center is central in the park. AK's baby care center is a little more challenging to get too. but overall getting back to the centers is very doable.
Thanks so much for letting me know this. I have been worried of how bad this was going to be.

2002:WL 2006:POFQ 2007:AKL 2008:OKW/BWV AKV/SSR 2009: SSR/BC 2010: AKV
Me DH: DD:
Avojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #1038
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

SOOO happy to find this thread!

This is my first child and will be taking him in December (he'll be 2 1/2 months) and have been a little worried about BFing. Mostly about trying to be modest. I'm still trying to get the hang of BFing, but pumping is just so much easier at this point, even though I have to clean the bottles and pump; so much equipment.

Hopefully I can get this BFing thing down so I can do it on the plane ride and then at restaurants at the World. Not sure how i'll be able to do it in restaurants though

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #1039
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post

This is my first child and will be taking him in December (he'll be 2 1/2 months) and have been a little worried about BFing. Mostly about trying to be modest. I'm still trying to get the hang of BFing, but pumping is just so much easier at this point, even though I have to clean the bottles and pump; so much equipment.

Hopefully I can get this BFing thing down so I can do it on the plane ride and then at restaurants at the World. Not sure how i'll be able to do it in restaurants though
With practice, it just becomes second nature. I unfortunately didn't nurse my 1st but my 2nd I was nursing her at a restaurant when she was 2 weeks old. It's just no big deal to me now. Surprisingly I saw quite a few breastfeeders when we went when our baby was 4 months old. There's plenty of places to sit or you can manage to nurse while walking, which I did most of the time once I figured out how to nurse in the carrier....which I mastered on the 1st night, lol. You'll do fine....have fun!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #1040
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
With practice, it just becomes second nature. I unfortunately didn't nurse my 1st but my 2nd I was nursing her at a restaurant when she was 2 weeks old. It's just no big deal to me now. Surprisingly I saw quite a few breastfeeders when we went when our baby was 4 months old. There's plenty of places to sit or you can manage to nurse while walking, which I did most of the time once I figured out how to nurse in the carrier....which I mastered on the 1st night, lol. You'll do fine....have fun!
Thanks for this. I still excuse myself from the living room if my mom or my DH's mom is there so I can nurse him. I guess I better start practicing doing it in front of them, if I expect to do it on a plane huh??

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #1041
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface

I took my pump last Dec with my then 8 month old. It was probably not worth the hassle. I used the baby care centers a lot because I too worried about modesty. Sometimes duty called when we weren't near one though so I just did it wherever. Someone here mentioned not making eye contact with others just ignoring everyone else and focusing on baby. It worked really well for me I doubt anyone even noticed!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1042
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface

Thanks for this. I still excuse myself from the living room if my mom or my DH's mom is there so I can nurse him. I guess I better start practicing doing it in front of them, if I expect to do it on a plane huh??
It's different with people you know! I was able to ignore the strangers! It'll work better once you get the hang of it!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #1043
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

A lightweight blanket or cover up can help be discreet. But is does take practice. Some people are more comfortable with BF'ing public than others. I just bit the bullet and did it. I didn't want to be stuck at home.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #1044
bonjourmickey
Mouseketeer

Heading to WDW in one month and will be breastfeeding my nearly 11 month old at the time. I'm much more relaxed this time around since he's kid #2. We went to DL when DD5 was 4 months old and I constantly walked back to the baby care center to feed her. I'm so much more comfortable feeding DS in public. I use a cover that goes around my neck, but he does like to play with it and peak out. I've worried about it a bit since I'm big on being modest, but I figure it's just part of life. Excited to see how it will go

Disney World @ Animal Kingdom Logde 12/2012
Disney Fantasy 12/2012
Disneyland 12/2010, 03/2008, 02/2006, 12/2002 (Honeymoon), 05/2001, and many, many, many others!
bonjourmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #1045
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Recently returned from 10 days at the world with my 8 month old! Going again in 5 weeks. Used the BCC a ton, but also nursed in a few places around the world. Doing a TR now and trying to include baby care tips in there but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

I have not mastered BFing in a carrier or walking, but she got down to 4 nursings/day (including first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and 2 during the day - really easy!).
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1046
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

After reading this thread yesterday, I started practicing feeding him with a larger receiving blanket over him to see how he would react to be covered up. He did very well! I'll continue to do this often so he can get used to being covered up.

Also, there are tons of pages on this thread, but what do you guys think about clothes? I ALWAYS wear Disney shirts on Disney vacations, so am trying to think about how to incorporate BF into it. Has anyone tried wearing a regular cami underneath a shirt, but not using the straps on the cami? Rather turning the cami into a tube top of sorts, under the shirt, so I would just need to pull the shelf of the cami down so my tummy and sides will still be covered? I hope this makes sense. I have a couple of nursing camis that I ordered from target, but they seem to 'flare' out at the bottom. Kind of like maternity/nursing camis. I don't want to have a bunch of fabric rolling up under my shirt.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #1047
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, there are tons of pages on this thread, but what do you guys think about clothes? I ALWAYS wear Disney shirts on Disney vacations, so am trying to think about how to incorporate BF into it. Has anyone tried wearing a regular cami underneath a shirt, but not using the straps on the cami? Rather turning the cami into a tube top of sorts, under the shirt, so I would just need to pull the shelf of the cami down so my tummy and sides will still be covered? I hope this makes sense. I have a couple of nursing camis that I ordered from target, but they seem to 'flare' out at the bottom. Kind of like maternity/nursing camis. I don't want to have a bunch of fabric rolling up under my shirt.
The newer Target nursing tanks are awful. I have some I bought almost 2 years ago and they're perfect. Have you tried any other brand camis? Motherhood Maternity also has a line of nursing tanks.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #1048
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my goodness, lol. Do you excuse yourself when you're about to eat? Breastfeeding is not something to be ashamed of and it's not something you need to hide and do. You should be proud that you're doing what's best for your baby! Yes, definitely practice! When we flew, at the end of our flight the 2 ladies sitting behind us were talking to my baby saying "you were such a good little boy and hardly made any sound". I joked and said "well he had a **** in his mouth almost the whole time" LOL You can do it!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #1049
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I'd say go with your comfort zone. you don't have to prove to anyone that YOU ARE A BREASTFEEDER! Just enjoy the process, figure out where your level of happy is, what the little guy likes and go with it. I bfed for 8 years total. Each of my kids had different happy with or without cover and my need to please either the breast phobic or the nursing nazis was gone about 1/2 way through the second son.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #1050
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

I also was not a big fan of NIP. I would do it around my friends, but not my family or my ILs.
I don't care about others doing it, obviously, but it wasn't for me.

When we went DD was only nursing about 4 times a day. I did do it on the plane with a light blanket over me. I also pumped on the plane, once in my seat with same blanket over me, once in the bathroom.

I would nurse once in the hotel room in the morn and then again at night.

During the day when we were at the parks I would always use the BCC at least once. They are really great, but not always convenient, since they are for the most part close to the entrance. So, if we werent close for the other feeding, I easily found a discreet bench. I was surprised that there were so many set away from the hustle and bustle.

It's def doable even when your not that comfortable about doing it anywhere.
With the next baby, I want to get over that fear though. It would be SO much easier!

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: