Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #991
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

Alice in Maryland, have you tried propping yourself up with a rolled up burp cloth or receiving blanket? It's not as comfortable as a Boppy, but it can work well when out in public. You probably will need a good nursing cover. You can order ones from Etsy that are bigger than the ones you buy at stores.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #992
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I pull the collar of my shirt down and my breast over it to my little one. That's how I always nurse, carrier or not. Lifting my shirt up seems so weird to me. Probably because of all of my rolls.
I totally understand the rolls! It took me 3 kids to finally try a tank top under my shirt for nursing. I know you can get a nursing tank, but I just use a tank top that was really streatchy and would pull my breast out the top to nurse. That way I could left my shirt and nurse with out a cover up, but the tank top under my shirt would cover my "rolls"!

And Then!!
rosedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #993
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceinMaryland View Post
I have to say I'm jealous of all of you that can just so easily pop out the ****ie and latch the baby on like it's nothing. I so wish I was one of you because I'd be whipping out the ****ie everywhere to show my support for breastfeeding and that I'm not afraid to take on a little heat from the anti breastfeeding in public weirdos.

This is my 3rd child I've nursed, she's 2 months old. I unfortunately have really awkward nipple placement in that my nipples aren't placed high up or perky. Instead they are hanging down almost pointing to the floor and instead of being in the center, they are situated more to the inside of my body. Hard to explain but basically the only semi comfortable position for us is at home with the boppy. I always have to have my one hand on my **** lifting/tilting the nipple up and pressing on my **** so it's not suffocating her :/ It looks awkward and uncomfortable when I'm feeding so I don't do it out in public. So I actually tend to not go out anywhere unless I can have access to my car and feed in there. Unfortunately that means we probably won't go too many places this summer like amusement parks and the beach, etc.

Anybody sympathize or is it just me with the weird nipples LOL

With this being your 3rd baby I am sure you have, but I just wanted to ask - Have you seen a Lactation Consultant about this? If not, maybe they could show you different holds. The "foot ball" hold sounds like it might work better for you than the tradition nursing baby hold. Again I am sure you have tried everything and I am not trying to sound like a know it all.

Sorry it's not easy for you, but keep up the great work!

And Then!!
rosedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #994
LazyDaisy
Mouseketeer

I've never used a nursing cover and never once went to a bathroom or baby center or even car (unless I was already in the car already). I also used the tank top under a looser shirt kind of thing, and I never once got a comment. We would even nurse on the go, while standing in line, etc., and no one ever really cottoned on. But we also had a rule that public nursing is all about business. Even at home I wasn't really about the lengthy games of latch on, pull off, etc. that a bored baby can do. Just not the patient type, I guess. Babes can nurse at will, and immediately, but as soon as she starts the distracted or playing around routine, I assume she's not hungry/needing comfort that badly, so the breast goes away.

Nursing was much less embarrassing than accidentally leaking through the shirt. I was never a fan of nursing pads because I hate when they wrinkle up and show through the shirt, or rub against the nipples. So usually I go without... but I always need a change of shirt with me just in case I leak. Ick.

ETA: While I always feel slightly sorry for moms who are clearly stressed out at nursing in public, have a million and twelve nursing covers and look embarrassed or have a fussy baby, I always try to give an encouraging smile and/or try to ask if they mind if I sit down near them to nurse as well. I wish it was more of a non-issue - moms have a million things to worry about, worrying about manners about feeding their kid shouldn't be one of them!! Shame on anyone for making them feel bad about a natural thing. (FWIW I'm not a breastfeeding Nazi either, I don't care if you FF or BF but for goodness sakes don't feel bad about either one.)
Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #995
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

AliceinMaryland - I can completely sympathize with the positioning issues. I am rather large chested and that makes nursing pretty complicated. I have only really "mastered" the football hold, which is a tricky hold in chairs and such. I often just sit down on the floor to nurse him. He is 5 months old and we are just now figuring out the cradle hold. At first, my mom and sisters thought the football hold was strange but it is so much easier for us. It is most comfortable with a boppy, but it isn't necessary.

I hope I can make it work to nurse in an Ergo. I've tried my ring sling, but can't get that down yet. I have to lower him too far and pull myself up too high. It is very awkward.

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #996
erin327
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipporina View Post
AliceinMaryland - I can completely sympathize with the positioning issues. I am rather large chested and that makes nursing pretty complicated. I have only really "mastered" the football hold, which is a tricky hold in chairs and such. I often just sit down on the floor to nurse him. He is 5 months old and we are just now figuring out the cradle hold. At first, my mom and sisters thought the football hold was strange but it is so much easier for us. It is most comfortable with a boppy, but it isn't necessary.

I hope I can make it work to nurse in an Ergo. I've tried my ring sling, but can't get that down yet. I have to lower him too far and pull myself up too high. It is very awkward.
Depending on how big you are, you may not have enough strap length with the ergo. I have friends who can nurse fine in it. My larger size and larger chest size make it so there isn't enough strap on an ergo for baby to nurse. I have learned how to nurse in a kinderpack or a bamberoo as their straps are longer.
erin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #997
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

I nursed in the Ergo, but had MUCH better success with something with longer straps! I'm nursing my 2yr old in our toddler kinderpack with ease now!

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #998
AliceinMaryland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
Alice in Maryland, have you tried propping yourself up with a rolled up burp cloth or receiving blanket? It's not as comfortable as a Boppy, but it can work well when out in public. You probably will need a good nursing cover. You can order ones from Etsy that are bigger than the ones you buy at stores.
No I never even thought of that! I'll give it a try when she wakes me up in the morning. I did go over to ebay, right after I posted here the other day, and bid on a bebe au lait cover since I saw some of you recommending them. I can't wait for that to come cause the cover I have now is a cheapy Infantino one and is like a kids painting smock LOL It's a doodoo brown color. I will be happy to get rid of it. Where the bebe au lait has a strap around the neck, the one I have is basically a collar and it makes it very hot.

Hipporina-I love football hold. Def the easiest way for me, but that's only at home. How do you do football out in public with nothing to lay their body on beside you?

AliceinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #999
KimberlyE
Mouseketeer

So happy to find this thread! I nursed my 7 year old until he self-weaned at 18 months. I went back to work when he was 12 weeks old and I pumped during the day and nursed evenings/weekends. It was a long haul but totally worth it! Some of my favorite tools for that were my Medela PISA backpack and Lanisinoh milk storage bags. I'll be happy to answer any questions about pumping at work and storing milk.

I have a 10 month old who will be turning 1 at Disney! She is nursing exclusively (I am able to stay at home with this baby so I only pump for nights out) with some solids just introduced regularly this month. I am concerned about nursing her at Disney. I read all 60+ pages in two days - what great advice! I do have some questions/issues I was hoping to get some expert Disney NIP advice regarding!

1. I haven't been able to do a lot of baby wearing - my kids are little heaters and even wind up sweating with cuddle time in the rocking chair. My DH is the same way. You can get near any of them and feel the heat coming off of them. The flip side is that they all have great metabolism! I did buy an Ergo and my daughter does fine in it for short periods. I plan on bringing it to Disney for rides (another question) and to try and nurse. Any Ergo nursing tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Can I take her on rides in the Ergo? Any ride suggestions or hints on this also greatly appreciated!

3. I have a very big bust - DDD normally and up to a J/K when engorged. I am worried about how to handle the peep show so to speak. At home I never cover up and my daughter hates the nursing cover and blankets. My issue is that she is a very active baby who LOVEs to pull off and check out the world around her. With my size, that can create quite a show! I'd be really interested in hearing from others with the same problem.

Thanks in advance, ladies! I appreciate your support!

Doug
Kimberly
Andrew (8 years old)
Arden (2 years old)

KimberlyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #1000
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

What an awesome thread! I'm currently BF my 3 week old baby and have trips to DL in August and WDW in October. I'm rather large busted and am quite nervous about BF'ing in public without too much nipple showing while latching. I'm going to get some nursing tanks/shirts and see if that helps some. I'm reluctant to use a cover because they are so hot, but may end up doing that anyway.

Love the ideas and support that this thread has offered!

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #1001
erin327
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyE View Post
So happy to find this thread! I nursed my 7 year old until he self-weaned at 18 months. I went back to work when he was 12 weeks old and I pumped during the day and nursed evenings/weekends. It was a long haul but totally worth it! Some of my favorite tools for that were my Medela PISA backpack and Lanisinoh milk storage bags. I'll be happy to answer any questions about pumping at work and storing milk.

I have a 10 month old who will be turning 1 at Disney! She is nursing exclusively (I am able to stay at home with this baby so I only pump for nights out) with some solids just introduced regularly this month. I am concerned about nursing her at Disney. I read all 60+ pages in two days - what great advice! I do have some questions/issues I was hoping to get some expert Disney NIP advice regarding!

1. I haven't been able to do a lot of baby wearing - my kids are little heaters and even wind up sweating with cuddle time in the rocking chair. My DH is the same way. You can get near any of them and feel the heat coming off of them. The flip side is that they all have great metabolism! I did buy an Ergo and my daughter does fine in it for short periods. I plan on bringing it to Disney for rides (another question) and to try and nurse. Any Ergo nursing tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Can I take her on rides in the Ergo? Any ride suggestions or hints on this also greatly appreciated!

3. I have a very big bust - DDD normally and up to a J/K when engorged. I am worried about how to handle the peep show so to speak. At home I never cover up and my daughter hates the nursing cover and blankets. My issue is that she is a very active baby who LOVEs to pull off and check out the world around her. With my size, that can create quite a show! I'd be really interested in hearing from others with the same problem.

Thanks in advance, ladies! I appreciate your support!
I am about the same size as you are (about an I) and have gotten very used to and comfortable nursing in public. I always wear a nursing tank with a tshirt over top. To nurse, I unhook the nursing tank and lower the cup as far as necessary by reaching up under my tshirt. Then I get baby positioned. For example if I am nursing on the left, I cradle baby in my left arm and hold the bottom edge of my tshirt with my right hand. As I slide my tshirt up with the right hand, I pull baby in with the left arm. Baby's head is almost up against me by the time I slide the shirt up enough for her to latch. Once she is latched, the tshirt comes to her cheek covering anything not in her mouth of covered by my tank. Between my shirts, my arms, and baby's head no one can see anything. In public I always keep that right hand on the edge of my shirt so that I can pull it down as she pulls away every time she unlatches to look around. Crazy babies. You can practice in front of the mirror to get a good feel for just how much people can see and when. Most of all - relax! Baby won't nurse well if you are stressed. More unlatching and relatching than ever.
erin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #1002
MMluvsWDW
Forever Mickey's

Wanted to give you moms props for NIP. I nursed mine on two different trips and it was such a cinch! I would hate having to worry about a bottle all the time! We nursed pretty much everywhere anytime he was hungry. I carried the Aden and Anais muslin blanket and just used that as a cover. I could tuck one side either in my bra or behind my back and threw it over us. It was cool and easy and big so I didn't have to worry! I love the ergo and hope to figure out nursing in the ergo with number 2. Keep it up!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #1003
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmluvswdw
wanted to give you moms props for nip. I nursed mine on two different trips and it was such a cinch! I would hate having to worry about a bottle all the time! We nursed pretty much everywhere anytime he was hungry. I carried the aden and anais muslin blanket and just used that as a cover. I could tuck one side either in my bra or behind my back and threw it over us. It was cool and easy and big so i didn't have to worry! I love the ergo and hope to figure out nursing in the ergo with number 2. Keep it up!!!
!!!

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #1004
comichelle51
Earning My Ears

Dressing for and babywearing in the heat?

I have a 2.5 month old who will be 4.5 months old when we take a 8 day, 7 night to WDW. I have no problem nursing in public but typically use my bebe au lait cover because I am more comfortable that way. It does get hot so I may want to nurse without the cover some due to the heat. If I am to nurse without a cover I would be most comfortable with a nursing tank with a shirt over it to provide more modesty. The problem with this is I get so hot with two shirts on. How do you ladies handle the heat with the extra layer?

What about babywearing in the heat? My LO is hot natured and both of us end up miserable when I wear him in the heat. I have several carriers but my favorite is my Babyhawk Mei Tai. I have borrowed an Ergo from a friend and didn't like it any better than my Babyhawk. Any suggestions for babywearing in the heat? We also have a stroller so my plan is to alternate between babywearing and the stroller at WDW.
comichelle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1005
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceinMaryland View Post
Hipporina-I love football hold. Def the easiest way for me, but that's only at home. How do you do football out in public with nothing to lay their body on beside you?
It varies depending on the situation. Sometimes I sit on the floor so his lower half is on the floor beside me and sometimes I just hold him to the side. It is uncomfortable, but it works. The easiest thing to do is to prop him up with my diaper bag (I usually carry a huge one). There are times when it is impossible, so we muddle our way through cradle hold.

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: