Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #871
Scarlett81
Mommy to my princess and lil pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Thank you both for the tip. We only used it once with DS#1 at DLR when he was 4 months old. He did not like it, so we never tried it again. I saved it for my next kid thinking it was just not for him. Maybe, that is why he did not like it. The full on slings still scare me, so I will probably just not use a carrier for DS#2.
Slings always scared me too-until I researched it more and found the right ones and more importantly-the correct way to use them. Shame they've gotten such bad press the past few years. I never used one with my first, but with my 2nd its been amazing. Very comfortable for me and baby, and just wonderful for discreet cozy nursing.
I never like the bjorn-ugh that things awful. Anyway, just my 2 cents for what its worth! Happy baby wearing!

CF Make a Wish Trip O/S-87' Fort Wilderness Campground-99' O/S-03' O/S-04' O/S-08' O/S-09' Beach Club-10' Grand Floridian-11' FW Cabins-11'
Sister's/Girl's Trip AKL 12' Princess Half Marathon Finisher!!! (Split stay Dolphin and BC) 13' Beach Club weekend coming up! 13' Princess Half Marathon Finisher 2014' (Split stay Swan and AKL)
WL for end of school year celebration..June 14'
Scarlett81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #872
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Thank you both for the tip. We only used it once with DS#1 at DLR when he was 4 months old. He did not like it, so we never tried it again. I saved it for my next kid thinking it was just not for him. Maybe, that is why he did not like it. The full on slings still scare me, so I will probably just not use a carrier for DS#2.
Don't be afraid of slings! If you are thinking about all the suffocation scares, those were with padded bag-style, also duffel-style slings. Unpadded slings are perfectly safe. There is a good article explaining the difference here. Here are some photos of my babies in my ring sling....

If you are still unsure about a sling, I also have a Beco Butterfly that I absolutely love, the Ergo is a similar style carrier.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #873
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett81 View Post
Slings always scared me too-until I researched it more and found the right ones and more importantly-the correct way to use them. Shame they've gotten such bad press the past few years. I never used one with my first, but with my 2nd its been amazing. Very comfortable for me and baby, and just wonderful for discreet cozy nursing.
I never like the bjorn-ugh that things awful. Anyway, just my 2 cents for what its worth! Happy baby wearing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
Don't be afraid of slings! If you are thinking about all the suffocation scares, those were with padded bag-style, also duffel-style slings. Unpadded slings are perfectly safe. There is a good article explaining the difference here. Here are some photos of my babies in my ring sling....

If you are still unsure about a sling, I also have a Beco Butterfly that I absolutely love, the Ergo is a similar style carrier.
Thank you both for the info. I will do some research before we go to WDW and get the one that seems like the best fit. If I chicken out on a sling, I will at least get the Bebe thing for breastfeeding..
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #874
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I am asking this question on the cruise forum as well, but thought I would put it here just in case.

We were hoping to spend the Nassau Day at Atlantis and leave our kids on the ship. Has anyone who was breastfeeding done this? If so, how did it work? I can bring the pump but where and how can I store the milk before turning it in. Pumping right before I drop him off will not give the staff enough milk to satiate him until I get back.

Are there refrigerators in the room? This may be a moot point, since all of the excursions may be booked by the time we reach our 75 day window. I want to know just in case. Thank you.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #875
Sarahgracie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post

MK - Tomorrowland Transportation Authority (People Mover). Just ask the CM if you can keep going around and around until the baby is done. Pirates of the Caribbean if your baby is not very wiggly or distracted easily. Sit in the sleigh outside the Christmas shop, it's also a good place to watch a parade from. Upstairs at Columbia Harbor House, even if you are not eating.

Epcot - Spaceship Earth (or as we like to call it, Spaceship Nap), Mexico boat ride. Inside China Pavilion. In France movie. In the English garden where the British Invasion plays (when they are NOT playing!). Inside the Land Pavilion and on Living With the Land. Inside the Living Seas, upstairs in the main aquarium room there are little benches built into the center column.
Thank you very, very much! I'll jot these down and have the list handy when we're in the parks and the dinner (or lunch, or snack) bell rings for DD.
~WDW Sep 25-Oct 1, 2011: Marriott Grande Vista (DH, DD, me)
Sarahgracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #876
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

I had a question for all you Moms out there that BF'd past a year. What does the BF'ing relationship look like. How often do you nurse, etc? DS is less than 2 weeks from his first birthday and I'm not sure how much longer we will continue to BF. DS is getting rather rough in his feeding and hardly sits still any more. But then he typically nurses 4-6 times a day. And its getting to be more and more the 4 times a day. I'd love any advice from BTDT moms.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #877
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneDisFan View Post
I had a question for all you Moms out there that BF'd past a year. What does the BF'ing relationship look like. How often do you nurse, etc? DS is less than 2 weeks from his first birthday and I'm not sure how much longer we will continue to BF. DS is getting rather rough in his feeding and hardly sits still any more. But then he typically nurses 4-6 times a day. And its getting to be more and more the 4 times a day. I'd love any advice from BTDT moms.
My DS is almost 13 months. TBH, he nurses a lot. He doesn't want to nurse when we're out, but if we're at home, he nurses pretty frequently. However, he just popped his first two teeth and his big sister started pre-school and brought home a cold; teething and illness increases a desire to nurse.

Most 1 year olds nurse like infants for several months past 1, I've found. While their first birthday is a big deal to us, it doesn't hold any meaning for them, kwim? As for the wiggling, yeah, that can get annoying!
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #878
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am asking this question on the cruise forum as well, but thought I would put it here just in case.

We were hoping to spend the Nassau Day at Atlantis and leave our kids on the ship. Has anyone who was breastfeeding done this? If so, how did it work? I can bring the pump but where and how can I store the milk before turning it in. Pumping right before I drop him off will not give the staff enough milk to satiate him until I get back.

Are there refrigerators in the room? This may be a moot point, since all of the excursions may be booked by the time we reach our 75 day window. I want to know just in case. Thank you.
Breastmilk is fine for up to 8 hours without refrigeration. I think if you bring a small cooler and maybe store it in an inside climate controlled area (like a locker) you'll be fine.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #879
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
I nursed my daughter to 2 1/2 (she self-weaned) and my son is almost 14 months. At this age it is very common for babies to be distracted nursers. They can do so many things and it is hard to sit still for long enough to eat! 4-6 times a day is still good. He may even cut back to 2-3x some days, and then pick back up again. My son still nurses about 4 times a day, some days more, some days less. If you want to let the child self-wean, the important thing is to not refuse when you know your baby wants to (whether they have a verbal or sign language cue, or you know what to look for), and offer at times that you know your baby typically nurses (at naptime/bedtime and first thing in the morning for example). By 18 months, my daughter would not want to nurse if we were out all day, although if we were home all day, she would still nurse several times.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #880
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Quote:
My last one nursed until he was almost 3. When he first turned 1, he was still nursing 6 times a day, supplemented by solids. As the year progressed he ate more food and dropped down to nursing about 4 times a day(first thing in the morning, nap, early afternoon and bedtime). If he was sick, teething, dealing with bumps and bruises, or just having a bad day, he would nurse more. We stayed pretty solidly with the 4 times a day until he was almost 3. A month or two before he turned 3 he announced, "I big boy. No more nee -nees." And we were done!

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #881
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

What an amazing community of women here on the Dis!!!!

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #882
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had a question for all you Moms out there that BF'd past a year. What does the BF'ing relationship look like. How often do you nurse, etc?
It's going to vary. The great thing about hitting a year, is that there are no rules. You can limit your nursling as much as you need, or you can nurse on demand.

At 12 months old, my first was nursing about 20 times in 24 hours, and that was with me limiting him! I had him cut down to 12 times by 18 months and 5+ times at 20 months. I weaned him completely right before 5 years. My second child's nursing was always managable to me, so she's on the pure child-led weaning path. At 12 months, she nursed 8 times. At 16 months, she was down to 5 times. At around her 2nd b-day, she dropped her nap, which put her down to 4 times. She was down to 1 time by her 5th b-day. She's now 5.5 years old and occassionally skips a day. My third was at around 12 times at 12 months. He has some sensory issues - my first did too - and still relies on breastmilk at 2.5 years old. He's nursing about 8 times in 24 hours now.

One thing that was universal with all my kids was needing to teach them nursing manners around a year old. They learned that they had to ask to nurse. (By signing initially. Verbal came much later). They also learned that I was the one in charge of my shirt which is a very important lesson for a nursling to learn!
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #883
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Excited to nurse again at Disney! DS will be 8 mts old for his first trip

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #884
mommyhometx
Earning My Ears

I breast fed my 4 kids for over a decade all together (even some tandem nursing in there). I have breastfed my toddler at WDW. I had no problems, but I really don't care what other people think of me nursing my kids.

Just keep feeding Mama's. There will be no ugly looks from my family. Good for you and good for your babies. You will definitely get a smile from us and approval from me.
mommyhometx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #885
BlueChariot
Florida Native

Quote:
DD is almost 14 months and I am still BFing. Not really by my choice though. I started to wean her around a year, but she is still really attached to the breast. Currently, I nurse only two times per day (right after I get home from work and in the morning when DD wakes up).

As for nursing in the parks, I took DD the first time when she was 6 weeks, and we have gone regularly ever since. While I do BF in the baby centers if we happen to be nearby, I nursed DD anywhere and everywhere convenient in the parks. Never had anyone stop me and say anything or stare, even though I NEVER used a nursing cover. Of course, I developed a knack for being discrete, so that probably helped!!

Keep up with the nursing ladies!!!
BlueChariot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: