Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #856
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

hi ladies!
i could use some non-trip related advice from you knowledgeable women! My son has been fully weaned for a week now and i had no physical problems with it until last night. I woke up to super sore breasts and i could feel lumps as if i had clogged ducts (or so i think, ive never had them before). This morning in the shower i tried massaging the lumps out but did not have much success. I havent felt worried about mastitis since i havent had the fever, red streaks, or chills that go along with it, but am starting to worry that if i dont do something about the lumps, things could go bad.
What do you suggest? any lump remedies? Nursing them out if obviously no longer a choice! Will they just go away? What happens if i just ride it out? I am only dealing with the extremem tenderness so that is liveable if i have to for a few days.
Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first child and so i have never weaned before!
thank you for your help!!

me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #857
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant wait for Disney View Post
hi ladies!
i could use some non-trip related advice from you knowledgeable women! My son has been fully weaned for a week now and i had no physical problems with it until last night. I woke up to super sore breasts and i could feel lumps as if i had clogged ducts (or so i think, ive never had them before). This morning in the shower i tried massaging the lumps out but did not have much success. I havent felt worried about mastitis since i havent had the fever, red streaks, or chills that go along with it, but am starting to worry that if i dont do something about the lumps, things could go bad.
What do you suggest? any lump remedies? Nursing them out if obviously no longer a choice! Will they just go away? What happens if i just ride it out? I am only dealing with the extremem tenderness so that is liveable if i have to for a few days.
Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first child and so i have never weaned before!
thank you for your help!!
In my experience they just go away... takes a few weeks for them .... and even after that you may feel let down when you are around another baby.

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #858
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Just discovered the thread and am planning on reading as much as I can. I am a stay at home Mom who does not take the baby out much and never for too long when I do. WDW will be the first time where we will be gone (from the privacy of the hotel room) all day or most of the day. I usually use a large breathable baby blanket for breastfeeding now. Should I get a sling or something more appropriate for the longer trip? DS will be 5mos old if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #859
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear luvs grumpy View Post
I was in Disneyland waiting for the rest of the family to get off of Splash Mountain. It was cooler and shaded by the Haunted Mansion so I was waiting there. My toddler was asleep in the stroller and my baby was breastfeeding. I noticed another women staring at me as she was getting on the ride. I caught her eye and she smiled. After she got off the ride she came up to me and told me she had been a cast member before her twin sons were born and let me know that there was a baby center on Main street. She was very nice about it but I did kind of feel like she was asking me not to feed my baby in public. I thanked her and told her that I was waiting for the rest of my family and I was comfortable enough where I was and didn't want to interrupt my babies meal. She looked at me and said "wow I only thought you had a couple of sleeping kids I had no idea you were breastfeeding your are good." I was so happy I was not rude to her. I have always tried to keep my self covered up for my own comfort and the comfort of my husband. Neither one of us likes to be stared at. I guess after five kids you do learn the tricks of the trade. For those of you who were like me at the beginning and nervous about breastfeeding in public keep in mind that if you are covered most people have know idea what you are privately doing especially the men (that was always my biggest worry). My husband was uncomfortable with other women breastfeeding around him but was never rude to them about it now, if he notices, he is okay with it in a large public place where he can look the other way and just keep on walking.
This reminds me of a funny story. Friday was my Dad's birthday, so we all went out to dinner. My Uncle arrived late. He walked right up to me and tried lifting the blanket to see my son. Unbeknownst to him, I was breastfeeding. I told him I bring the baby by his seat when he was done eating. It is funny that people do not even realize what you are doing sometimes.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #860
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
In my experience they just go away... takes a few weeks for them .... and even after that you may feel let down when you are around another baby.
thank you! i'm glad to hear it. i did wake up with much less tenderness today than yesterday, so that is a plus. i can handle the lumps for a few weeks as long as i'm not risking any complications, thanks for the info!

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #861
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Just discovered the thread and am planning on reading as much as I can. I am a stay at home Mom who does not take the baby out much and never for too long when I do. WDW will be the first time where we will be gone (from the privacy of the hotel room) all day or most of the day. I usually use a large breathable baby blanket for breastfeeding now. Should I get a sling or something more appropriate for the longer trip? DS will be 5mos old if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
just my opinion-i always used a cover made by bebe au lait, it has the part that goes around your neck so it doesnt fall down and you can peek at your little one. It was awesome for everyday use and for not so everyday like when i had to nurse ds outside of the rose and crown standing up because the man on the bench outside the restaurant wanted no part in sharing it with me! i used it from like 3 months to 10 months

Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #862
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant wait for Disney View Post
just my opinion-i always used a cover made by bebe au lait, it has the part that goes around your neck so it doesnt fall down and you can peek at your little one. It was awesome for everyday use and for not so everyday like when i had to nurse ds outside of the rose and crown standing up because the man on the bench outside the restaurant wanted no part in sharing it with me! i used it from like 3 months to 10 months
I like that. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #863
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
I also use a Bebe au Lait/Hooter Hider. I never got into nursing "hands free" in a sling, just sat down. It was good for all of us to take a break. The baby care centers are nice when you need a long, cool break, but most of the time I just nurse wherever I am. I have favorite spots in all the parks.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #864
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
I also use a Bebe au Lait/Hooter Hider. I never got into nursing "hands free" in a sling, just sat down. It was good for all of us to take a break. The baby care centers are nice when you need a long, cool break, but most of the time I just nurse wherever I am. I have favorite spots in all the parks.
I am almost certainly going to order one of those. It has an actual hole around the neck, so has to be more breathable than the pourous blankets I am using now. We do have a Baby Bjorn for holding the baby upright, but the breastfeeding slings make me nervous. As someone who is naturally clumsy, I worry that the sling may not have been for me anyway. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #865
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am almost certainly going to order one of those. It has an actual hole around the neck, so has to be more breathable than the pourous blankets I am using now. We do have a Baby Bjorn for holding the baby upright, but the breastfeeding slings make me nervous. As someone who is naturally clumsy, I worry that the sling may not have been for me anyway. Thank you.
Please be careful with the Bjorn. It doesn't properly support baby's hips and spine and can cause some serious damage. There are other great carriers like the Boba, Beco Gemini or Butterfly, or the Ergo.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #866
Sarahgracie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I'd love to know where your favorite spots are :-) We're going at the end of this month. I've only nursed in public a couple of times, and know I'll need to do it there a bunch. DD nurses fast now, and I don't want to have to go to the Baby Care Centers every couple of hours. We'll be at MK one Day, and Epcot another.
~WDW Sep 25-Oct 1, 2011: Marriott Grande Vista (DH, DD, me)
Sarahgracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #867
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
I would recommend a sling, Moby wrap, Beco or Ergo over the Baby Bjorn. I call the Baby Bjorn a "crotch hugger." Your baby is pretty much dangling by their crotch, and it's not very good for your back, either. The Ergo and Beco have the baby positioned so their hips are supported and they are sitting on their bottoms. Slings and Moby wraps take some getting used to, but they are also much better for you and baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahgracie View Post
I'd love to know where your favorite spots are :-) We're going at the end of this month. I've only nursed in public a couple of times, and know I'll need to do it there a bunch. DD nurses fast now, and I don't want to have to go to the Baby Care Centers every couple of hours. We'll be at MK one Day, and Epcot another.
MK - Tomorrowland Transportation Authority (People Mover). Just ask the CM if you can keep going around and around until the baby is done. Pirates of the Caribbean if your baby is not very wiggly or distracted easily. Sit in the sleigh outside the Christmas shop, it's also a good place to watch a parade from. Upstairs at Columbia Harbor House, even if you are not eating.

Epcot - Spaceship Earth (or as we like to call it, Spaceship Nap), Mexico boat ride. Inside China Pavilion. In France movie. In the English garden where the British Invasion plays (when they are NOT playing!). Inside the Land Pavilion and on Living With the Land. Inside the Living Seas, upstairs in the main aquarium room there are little benches built into the center column.
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #868
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahgracie View Post
Hall of Presidents is one of my favorite spots. Cool and dark, so baby usually falls asleep. I think it's like a half hour show, so you won't be rushed out.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #869
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet25 View Post
Hall of Presidents is one of my favorite spots. Cool and dark, so baby usually falls asleep. I think it's like a half hour show, so you won't be rushed out.
Forgot about that one!

Also the Lion King environmental movie at the Land in Epcot.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #870
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Please be careful with the Bjorn. It doesn't properly support baby's hips and spine and can cause some serious damage. There are other great carriers like the Boba, Beco Gemini or Butterfly, or the Ergo.
Quote:
I would recommend a sling, Moby wrap, Beco or Ergo over the Baby Bjorn. I call the Baby Bjorn a "crotch hugger." Your baby is pretty much dangling by their crotch, and it's not very good for your back, either. The Ergo and Beco have the baby positioned so their hips are supported and they are sitting on their bottoms. Slings and Moby wraps take some getting used to, but they are also much better for you and baby.
Thank you both for the tip. We only used it once with DS#1 at DLR when he was 4 months old. He did not like it, so we never tried it again. I saved it for my next kid thinking it was just not for him. Maybe, that is why he did not like it. The full on slings still scare me, so I will probably just not use a carrier for DS#2.

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: