Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #61
GoinToDisney
Mouseketeer

With my first, I did a lot f feeding in the car-- more for my own comfort than for anyone else. But now that I have 2, I have had to nurse at the aquarium and a small theme park, and it just wasn't convenient to go to the car. My LO doesn't like to be covered, and I find that I really don't care as much about feeding her in public. However, SHE will not nurse when we are out and about. She nurses quite often at home about every 2 hours. When we are out, she'll ask to nurse, and then only nurse for 2 or 3 minutes. I go to quiet places where there really isn't much to look at, and still can't get her to nurse. She makes up for it later, but it would be more comfortable for me if I could just get her to nurse. She's almost 8 months old now, so it won't be too many more months until she will probably cut back when we are out and about, but for now, it's tricky. Any tips? I just got her to take a bottle, so I was thinking about pumping and seeing if she would drink from the bottle so she can still look around.
GoinToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #62
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinToDisney View Post
With my first, I did a lot f feeding in the car-- more for my own comfort than for anyone else. But now that I have 2, I have had to nurse at the aquarium and a small theme park, and it just wasn't convenient to go to the car. My LO doesn't like to be covered, and I find that I really don't care as much about feeding her in public. However, SHE will not nurse when we are out and about. She nurses quite often at home about every 2 hours. When we are out, she'll ask to nurse, and then only nurse for 2 or 3 minutes. I go to quiet places where there really isn't much to look at, and still can't get her to nurse. She makes up for it later, but it would be more comfortable for me if I could just get her to nurse. She's almost 8 months old now, so it won't be too many more months until she will probably cut back when we are out and about, but for now, it's tricky. Any tips? I just got her to take a bottle, so I was thinking about pumping and seeing if she would drink from the bottle so she can still look around.
My oldest weaned herself- refused the breast once she had a bottle because she was always looking around! In my experience, make sure you have a really good pump! I didn't for my first 2 kids and wasn't able to make it work. I had a hand pump the first time and a travel Medela pump the second time (can't remember what it was called) This time I have a Medela Pump in Style and went back to work 4 days a week after 12 weeks of leave and have not had to use formula at all! My baby is also 8 months and he is taking 4 feedings a day along with 3 baby food feedings. He will nurse anywhere- being the third with big sister's and brother's schedules, he has had to nurse wherever we are.

I guess my advice is to make sure you have a great pump. I established pumping early- added an extra time while my baby was younger to ensure a supply of frozen milk before I went back to work. At first I got very little, but as I made that time consistent, I ended up pumping more and more and would end up with enough milk for a feeding. I hope this helps!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #63
moparop
DIS Veteran

My favorite nursing place is actually Mickey's Philharmagic. Has anyone mentioned TurtleTalk? Another good one! Of course, Finding Nemo and FotLK work great too!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #64
sritter78
Mouseketeer

I nursed on Small World, Pirates, Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White, etc. Anyplace that didn't have someone else right on top of me, I nursed.

The shows are great places to nurse (Circle of Life, Little Mermaid, Nemo, etc.)

DS is 13 months and nurses all the time when I am home (I am a teacher). I want to try and wean this summer, but I don't know how easy that is going to be.

23 days until we leave.

2003~Off-site
2006~Off-site---DD's 1st Trip
2008~AKL/Poly
2009~Contemporary---DS's 1st Trip
2010~AKL/Saratoga Springs
2011~Off-Site-Surprise Trip
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
2013-Saratoga Springs
sritter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #65
Duke&Tree
Mouseketeer

I haven't bf in WDW, and I don't plan on it...our dd will be almost 4 when we bring here. We do practice child-led weaning, but I don't know that we'll go that long.

Anyway, no specific story from me. I'm just offering my support!

Trips together:2000 PopMu 2004 Dolphin DONE and FABULOUS!: Dec 2009 (no kids!) combo DH bday and 9th anniversary at CSR! Duke surprised Tree with another anniversary trip in January 2011 at SSR! Finally brought the kids 2011 with the kids in style: Club Level at AKL! Adults-only AoA/BWV Jan 2013 was a success! Awesome extended family trip with kids Dec 2013 at AKL! Adults-only Hilton Bonnet Creek/CSR planned for November 2014!

We drank the DVC koolaid....owners at AKL!!

DD Monkey (9) DD Goose (6)
Duke&Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #66
Jaymie
DIS Veteran

I breastfed both my boys in WDW. So much easier than lugging bottles everywhere. I nursed them pretty much anywhere. I used an infant carrier and covered with a receiving blanket. I don't recall ever getting any funny looks, but then again, I wasn't worried about it either. I was a big fan of the nursing tops too. I think another poster mentionned being more worried about flashing their stomach than a little nipple, I totally agree!! LOL.
Dec 1979 - Offsite, Feb 1997 - CBR, Jan 1998 - Dixie Landing, Jan 1999 - ASMo, Jan 2000 - ASMu, Jan 2002 - ASSp, Jan 2003 - ASMo, Dec 2004 - ASMo, Feb 2006 - ASMo, Jan 2007 - Poly, July 2007 - POR, Jan 2008 - WL, July 2008 - POFQ, Jan 2009 - ASMo, Nov 2009 AKL, Aug 2010 - CBR, June 2011 - CS, Nov 2011 FW Cabin, May 2012 - BC, Jan 2013-POP
Jaymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #67
FourLeafClover
Earning My Ears

Wonderful thread! I will be taking my 4 month old to MK in a week. I am very confident about NIP after 4 kids, but it's nice to know I won't be alone. I am thinking of picking up a nursing tank for the very reasons stated here - after 4 kids in 5.5 years, my tummy is scary A previous poster mentioned using a bella band and that would probably work well, too, unless it was too stretchy... I can use a blanket with DS - its actually a stroller blanket with built in SPF that we got for the beach, but its really lightweight and of course protects him from the sun! I will def visit the baby care center at least once for a break from the action, but otherwise, he'll eat when and where he is hungry! Good luck everyone!
FourLeafClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #68
AngieWin
other than that it was all about the Wpasadi!

This thread just gives me such good feelings! No trip for us in the near future, but ds3 was 6 weeks old when we went to Disneyland last May and still nursing!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #69
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet25 View Post
I'm way more concerned about flashing my stomach than flashing my nipple.
Me too. I have much pregnancy has been much nicer to my breasts than my belly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I looked at those covers and it seems they are discontinuing them. The only sizes left were xs, s and 2x & 3X. I wonder how easy they would be to make?

I also cannot figure out nursing in a sling. I have a hotslings sling and just cannot do it. I did however pick up an Ergo Baby Carrier yesterday for our DS. I am so excited to use it and wonder if anyone has ever tried nursing in one of those?
I would think it would be very easy to make. It's just a tube. Target also sells their version of a bella band, that is basically the same thing. http://www.target.com/BeBand-Materni..._com_brand-bin

It was very tricky learning to nurse in my hotsling. I couldn't do it until about 5 months. At that point they could sit on my hip and lean down to get to it, or I put them in the cradle hold and stuck their legs out the side so there was room to get them to the nipple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaB View Post
A Beco is very like an Ergo and I had great luck nursing in ours. It does take a second person to adjust it all for me though. My DD was 17 months and 19 months on our trips this spring so it might be height that works for or against you though. I just loosen the straps and the waist strap a bit. So instead of sitting on my natural waist she is a little lower on my hips. Then I have someone loosen the back strap till it feels "right"- enough slack for her to pull back if she gets warm or wants a break. I usually wiggle my shirt up in the front before I strap on and I wear a nursing tank underneath in the same color (white or black) so if it works up in the back you can't tell. Then just peek out the vital part and she's set!

This has been GREAT late at night, she nurses, falls asleep and I don't have to carry a toddler as dead weight! I my Ergo.
I want an ergo or beco SO stinking bad! That is the same way I nurse in my mei tai. Anyone wanna trade their beco or ergo for it? ;o) I love how pretty my mei tai is I just really want to try an ergo! I wondered if you could nurse in a ergo too. Good to know you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke&Tree View Post
I haven't bf in WDW, and I don't plan on it...our dd will be almost 4 when we bring here. We do practice child-led weaning, but I don't know that we'll go that long.

Anyway, no specific story from me. I'm just offering my support!
This is my first time doing the child led weaning. I seriously thought he would be weaned by now(2 1/2). No such luck. lol. It was torture forcing my others to wean though when they were just 12(ish) months.

NINE days until I'll be breastfeeding at WDW again! Woot!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #70
MoeFam
Mouseketeer

I also just wanted to lend my support for this thread!

The last BF'ing experience I had at Disney was great. My son was only about 5 mos. I paid careful attention to what I wore...I wanted the shirts to be easy to slide over, I am not so much into the lifting if I don't have to! I did have a cover ( which are easy to make) - it was the first time I ever used one and I loved it. I remember we were waiting at HS for rope drop and realized that DS would need to nurse. I plopped down on a bench and nursed with probably a hundred people looking right at me!! It was fine and at that age DS was small enough to not care about the cover at all. I had several moms comment on the cover and the ring slings we used to carry DS and our nephew who was 11 mos at the time. I even had one mom offer to buy the sling right off my body!!!

I did see the hidden camera piece on the news on Friday....they would have had a serious piece of my mind if I had encountered that type of situation!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #71
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer

Here to show my support as well.

For those with younger babies depending on what time you go, I fully suggest a wrap. We have a didy, but it would work with a moby as well. Front carry is super easy to breast feed, and if you pull up the cumberbun that you make with the wrap, its also a cover.

This is how we feed my DD in public most of the time when she was newborn.

Toddler nursing happened mostly in our MT, or whereever we could sit.

2011- Poly!! 2009- SSR Villas 2007- CBR
Legendofthehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #72
acename
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I found this thread. I was really nervous about taking our son to WDW with us because of nursing in public. But it's either that or try to find time to pump and be uncomfortable with "girls" full of milk. I think it'll be easier to take him. I just don't have support from anyone around me (except my DH of course). They all think I should wean just so I don't have to take him!

I'm going to try the tip about always wearing a cami under things. That should help not look so obvious. I'm still getting the hang of nursing in public. I'm pretty much to the point where I only need a blanket when he's latching on and when he's finished.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it more now. I don't think it'll be so bad. In fact it will probably force us to slow down and rest more and will keep everyone happier. Thank goodness DS is a quick nurser though.
acename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #73
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ergobaby! DS is now almost 4 and we STILL use it.... !!!

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #74
dheinz
Mouseketeer

Hey! Just jumping in! I have 4 kiddos & have nursed one at WDW. I am going agin in July with 8 month old & worried about nursing b/c it will be WAY to hot to wear my usual nursing tank under my shirt. I thought I would just take our favorite blanket (aden & anais) to cover up with.
Any other suggestions?
Also, I have had my eye on a Ergo carrier. I love our Kozy mei tai but...was wanting something with a little more support & that could go on the hip.
dheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #75
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheinz View Post
Hey! Just jumping in! I have 4 kiddos & have nursed one at WDW. I am going agin in July with 8 month old & worried about nursing b/c it will be WAY to hot to wear my usual nursing tank under my shirt. I thought I would just take our favorite blanket (aden & anais) to cover up with.
Any other suggestions?
Also, I have had my eye on a Ergo carrier. I love our Kozy mei tai but...was wanting something with a little more support & that could go on the hip.
I never liked the way the ergo felt on my hip.....I think it works wonderfully for front or back wearing... it was so comfortable and I could support a lot of weight on my hips with its design.... I know it says that it can be worn on the side, and I saw all the happy mom's in the video... it just never felt 'right'.... ya know?

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: