Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
You probably already know, but ice water is free at any CS location. We bring along little packets of Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch etc... to add to the water to make it taste better. Constantly buying drinks is very expensive and dehydration is definitely a concern for anyone in WDW in the summer. Add in nursing and you definitely need to watch this! I remember how hot and sweaty I used to get nursing my babies in the summer in New England, never mind Florida!

I get a cup of water at the counter services places, and then I put some lemon in it.... most of the time you can find lemon at the fixin' bars at the CS.... I also use the water fountains at WDW.... they are every where too... I have never noticed a bad taste... but I know I am in the minority on that one!

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #32
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

OT Breastfeeding tip

A non WDW breastfeeding in public tip......

I always found that using an out of the way public dressing room at one of the large department stores offered a great place to BF, that WASN'T a potty!

DS 11 DS 8

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #33
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
A non WDW breastfeeding in public tip......

I always found that using an out of the way public dressing room at one of the large department stores offered a great place to BF, that WASN'T a potty!
Oh yeah. I liked dressing rooms for nursing when DS was little, too. Perfect spot!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #34
aggie_girl
Earning My Ears

So great to see this thread! I have 4 kiddos and have breastfed (very discreetly) in public just about everywhere. We are going to WDW in a couple of weeks and I have a 7 month old. Recently started him on cereal and baby food so he could have something other than me while we are there. Last time at Disney World I wasn't breastfeeding but saw a lot of people doing so. WDW seems pretty equipped for breastfeeding mom and babies!
aggie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I get a cup of water at the counter services places, and then I put some lemon in it.... most of the time you can find lemon at the fixin' bars at the CS.... I also use the water fountains at WDW.... they are every where too... I have never noticed a bad taste... but I know I am in the minority on that one!
Never thought of this! Great tip!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #36
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

I was in Disneyland waiting for the rest of the family to get off of Splash Mountain. It was cooler and shaded by the Haunted Mansion so I was waiting there. My toddler was asleep in the stroller and my baby was breastfeeding. I noticed another women staring at me as she was getting on the ride. I caught her eye and she smiled. After she got off the ride she came up to me and told me she had been a cast member before her twin sons were born and let me know that there was a baby center on Main street. She was very nice about it but I did kind of feel like she was asking me not to feed my baby in public. I thanked her and told her that I was waiting for the rest of my family and I was comfortable enough where I was and didn't want to interrupt my babies meal. She looked at me and said "wow I only thought you had a couple of sleeping kids I had no idea you were breastfeeding your are good." I was so happy I was not rude to her. I have always tried to keep my self covered up for my own comfort and the comfort of my husband. Neither one of us likes to be stared at. I guess after five kids you do learn the tricks of the trade. For those of you who were like me at the beginning and nervous about breastfeeding in public keep in mind that if you are covered most people have know idea what you are privately doing especially the men (that was always my biggest worry). My husband was uncomfortable with other women breastfeeding around him but was never rude to them about it now, if he notices, he is okay with it in a large public place where he can look the other way and just keep on walking.
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #37
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Tonight on TV

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo...0627999&page=1

That show "What would you do" has a segment on breastfeeding tonight... it's a hidden camera show where actors pretend to do things and they tape people's reactions.

Sounds very interesting.....

DS 11 DS 8

Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #38
tres besitos
Earning My Ears

Hi - I don't have any nursing babies anymore, but have been on trips when DS 2 was 6 mos. and DS3 was 13 mos. I pretty much nursed wherever I was when they needed to. Some places I remember - the benches in Liberty Square facing the river, a nice spot for nursing and a nap while the bigger kids and DH were at Tom Sawyers Island, the great Movie Ride, Sounds Dangerous (it was so dark and quiet he fell right to sleep), Country Bears Jamboree.

The only time I had problem was waiting in line for Kilimanjaro Safari - a 60 min wait (we hadn't fully gotten the hang of fast passes yet!). Our then one year old was very fussy and hot. I stopped a few times to nurse him, just sitting on the rocks off to the side and the woman behind us seemed to be very annoyed giving me nasty looks and big sighs with eye rolling. She never said anything, but I could tell she didn't like this. My thoughts were -would you rather see a little bit of my stomach or listen to him cry for the next 1/2 hour.

Also, all of the baby care centers were fantastic for an easy, comfortable, clean diaper change especially with toddlers in tow. I remember the Epcot center had an attendant in the changing area who would immediate disinfect and spray down the changing table as soon as someone was finished. The tables were huge and very comfortable for our untrained 2 1/2 year old.

Nurse whenever you baby needs to. Drink lots of water and have fun!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #39
Reese
DIS Veteran

I've nursed three so far at WDW. I love my sling as it allows me to nurse covered and handsfree (comes in very handy with toddlers in tow). I also make sure I carry a couple lightweight blankets (I make them myself so I can get the right material) with me in the diaper bag. They make for an easy cover.
As for spots, I think I have probably nursed on every kid friendly ride and every resturant in WDW. You have to be careful on the Haunted Mansion when the bar comes down. I have never noticed any strange looks from anyone (I think my entourage provides distraction). I definately prefer to take a break in an airconditioned show and usually it ends with baby full and sound asleep.
I also have to say I have never seen the inside of a baby care station at WDW.
Sept 08 POP Free Dining, Dec 08 Grand gathering at POP,Jan 09 Rolling Hills,March 09 Rolling Hills,May 09 ASMu and Emerald Isle,June 09 Just DH and I,July 09 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,Sept 09 ASMu Free dining,May 10 ASMo & Star WarsSept 10 ASmo Free dining, Nov 10 Rolling Hills,May 11 Pop, Jan 12 MK and Dreamworks cruise,Sept 12Free Dining AoA family reunion,Nov 12 ASMu Mom/Daughter trip,Christmas Day surprise,April 13 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,May 13 Star Wars ASSp,
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #40
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No one in my family minds the taste of the water either. We don't even need to add anything to it. But we are all water drinkers.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #41
december
DIS Veteran

I'll be nursing dd1 (her birthday is today!) in WDW in 17 days! With my 1st 2 kids (12 and 10) I was in my 20s and very self-conscious about nursing in public. Now at 37, it doesn't bother me to nurse whenever she is hungry. As a matter of fact, she is nursing now. I do have some udder covers, and will wear a nursing tank under my tshirts. I will be discrete, but I won't run for cover everytime she gets hungry!
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #42
doccoc2002
DIS Veteran

I have never BF my DD's at WDW they have always been over 16m and if they were still BFing it was at bedtime only...but they also have a band that goes around belly that you wear onder your shirt so you can nurse in any shirt...it may be a little cooler than wearing a nursing tank. Here is a link to one
http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=272

There are so many cool nursing products that have come out since I had my first DD 6and a half years ago:rofl:if only I could of thought of some of them:rofl:

MeDHDD9DD7DD3
doccoc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #43
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

What a wonderful thread! I am a breastfeeding mom, and I just returned a month ago from DS's first trip to the World. I spent a lot of time nursing in the babycare centers, not because I'm uncomfortable nursing in public, but because it was hot, and mostly because it gave me a break from my in-laws

I also met some wonderful women at the babycare centers, and we kept running into each other because our babies were on the same feeding schedule. It was great to have that sense of camraderie!

I really put a lot of thought into the shirts I wore on vacation to make sure they were nursing friendly. I don't like having to lift my shirt and show off my post baby flab and stretch marks, so I bought shirts that either buttoned up the front or had v-necklines or stretchy necklines so I could get the girls out with minimal fuss.

The only ride I nursed in was the Hall of Presidents. Apparently baby takes after Daddy and thinks that it is boring, because that is the only ride he fussed on for the whole vacation! It was no problem at all.

We're returning to WDW in June, and I'm looking forward to another breastfeeding vacation.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #44
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
DS is almost 15 months but is still nursing about three times a day. I'm subbing to this thread because if he is still nursing in September it will be nice to hear pointers and experiences of from people who have been there done that at WDW.
Good for you for continuing to breastfeed your 15 month old! I nursed my last son all the way through my last pregnancy and he is still nursing 1-2 times a day. I have zero support from my friends and family(except my DH) because everyone thinks that once they turn 1, they don't need it anymore. I am hoping that our upcoming trip might be just what he needs to encourage him to ween. He always nurses when he wakes up in the morning and since we won't have time to leisurely lay in bed while away I am hoping he will "forget" about "Mama's drink". lol

Quote:

Brings to mind a question to pose though.... has anyone PUMPED at WDW?
How (travel pump, hand, electric) and where (car, room, baby center.... potty)
When my DS was 11 months DH and I went to WDW for 2 nights for F&W. I brought my pump into Epcot with us and pumped every 3 hours(in the baby care center, I never saw another woman in there which I thought was kinda sad) to keep up my supply. It killed me to dump all that liquid gold though. I brought my Medela from home with batteries in it.

Non-Disney related, I pump in the car all the time. I think about how FUNNY it would be if DH got pulled over while I was pumping.

I have nursed lots of babies at WDW. I never even thought twice about it until coming to the DIS and seeing all the haters. Seriously, if us BFing Mom's told a bottle feeding Mom that her method of feeding her child offended us and we didn't want to see it. LOL. Can you imagine the repercussion?

I decided early on that I would feed my baby whenever and wherever I needed to. If I don't have something to cover up with then I do my best using my shirt. I have actually found people stare less if you don't use a blanket or nursing cover(I hate those stupid "bibs") because it just looks like you are holding your baby close to you while they are sleeping.

But for public nursing I mostly use my sling. (or mei tai)That way I can comfortably nurse walking around and we don't have to stop and wait forever. I am always finding myself tagged on FB in other peoples pictures from church functions that I am nursing in. LOL. Obviously no one realizes what I am doing.

At a church picnic this spring.

Here I am nursing my 5 month old at Disney.

We are going again in 11 days and I will most definitely be nursing my 9 month old at the parks.

And I also try and give other nursing Mom's an encouraging smile when I see them nursing in public.

Funny nursing at WDW story:

I was waiting with my little ones while my DH and older boys to rode BTMR, I was looking for a spot to sit on a bench outside the exit of the ride. I saw a woman breastfeeding her baby. No cover, she had her baby(probably 7-10 months) in the football hold and you could most definitely see her breast. I thought, "PERFECT! No one will give me a second glance if I sit next to her." LOL The funny thing is after we were sitting there a few minutes(her exposed breast was on my side of the bench) a man came and sat on her other side. He was Totally clueless that he was sharing a bench with two breastfeeding mamas. lol. It was so funny.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #45
tartemis
DIS Veteran

Great Thread!

I've nursed 2 babies at WDW, most recently on our last trip a few months ago. (I'm still nursing my youngest.)

My advice actually will probably deviate from most on this thread:

-- ditch any type of nursing top. I found that all of them actually and up exposing more flesh than just wearing a loose-fitting t-shirt. You can then lift the shirt to latch the baby (and nothing shows from the bottom because the baby is covering it) and then you can let the shirt lie right above the baby's mouth, covering everything above. My kids would never allow any blanket covering them or what not, and after buying too many very expensive nursing tops/tanks, I just followed the advice above and it has been much easier.

-- rides were a horrible place for me to nurse. My babies were waay too interested in what was going on to latch. I always just found a quiet bench or used the baby centers.

-- After the recent deaths of babies in them, I would be VERY careful about using slings that have babies lie down (as opposed to being upright).

Nursing in WDW is sooo easy, because it is such a baby friendly place. In fact, that is how we ended up starting our annual trips -- I had a 6 month old, was about to return to work, but I first wanted an easy vacation....so we went to Disney. We have now been back every year since. Now that I think about it, I have either been breastfeeding or pregnant on every Disney trip we have taken!
tartemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: