Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #406
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet25 View Post
Then it sounds like the problem is table food, not breast milk. If a baby nurses and eats Twinkies, I'd blame the Twinkies, not the nursing. I don't think it's possible for a baby to nurse "too much" as an infant. In fact, the very act of the baby being in control of his own caloric intake is, in theory, one of the ways that breastfeeding acts as a protective factor against obesity. Nursing 10-12 times a day is not excessive. A baby may be teething and thus comfort nursing. Nothing at all abnormal about that.
I agree...I think it is too much formula and rice in the formula and incorrect table food... no veggies and fruits just starch and fat....

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #407
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet25 View Post
Then it sounds like the problem is table food, not breast milk. If a baby nurses and eats Twinkies, I'd blame the Twinkies, not the nursing. I don't think it's possible for a baby to nurse "too much" as an infant. In fact, the very act of the baby being in control of his own caloric intake is, in theory, one of the ways that breastfeeding acts as a protective factor against obesity. Nursing 10-12 times a day is not excessive. A baby may be teething and thus comfort nursing. Nothing at all abnormal about that.
As a former LC, I can say that you are correct. A baby or toddler can never nurse too much and will not become obese from breastfeeding. If a baby or toddler nurses very frequently, s/he is not consuming breastmilk the entire time. Babies suckle at different rates and with different force depending on whether they are hungry, in pain, bored, or simply need comfort or help falling asleep.

Formula-fed babies can become overweight because a bottle does not adjust the flow of formula the way a breast adjusts the flow of breastmilk, so babies who seek comfort from a bottle will take in much more calories than babies who are comfort nursing, which is why drs want to regulate the number of bottles of formula babies consume. This does not apply to breastmilk.

I hope this makes sense. I get frustrated by this matter b/c many (not all) drs place formula rules upon breastfeeding b/c they unfortunately take only a 1-hour class on breastfeeding in med school. (One of my best friend's DH's is a dr who has referred patients to me and he is the first to admit this.)

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #408
december
DIS Veteran

I work, so my little one is in daycare from 7am until 4pm every day. She eats 3 meals a day from the table plus snacks. And she still nurses 5 or 6 times a day. On weekends, it is way more than that! And at her 15 month checkup today she was 22 1/2 lbs. I've never heard anyone say a baby should only nurse a certain number of times a day to prevent obesity.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #409
AprilFool
Mouseketeer

I would just like to make a comment to all the moms that are breastfeeding. Please remember that when you see an infant being bottle fed there may be a reason for it. My daughter (9 now) was born with a cleft palate. I was not able to breastfeed her as she couldn't suck. I pumped for 8 months and she got breastmilk in a bottle. I cannot express how many looks or comments I had on how wrong it was that I was not breastfeeding my child. i wanted to wear a sign saying: "there is breastmilk in the bottle!" Please remember that when you see a baby getting a bottle..don't judge or make assumptions please. I luckily was able to breastfeed my second daughter for a year.... wish I could have with both my children.

I got Booo'd by ahowanitz!
AprilFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #410
december
DIS Veteran

Wow. I can't imagine someone acting like that. Here, the bottle is the norm. I'm the one getting the looks and rude comments. Especially now that she is older.

BTW, she was nursing when I made the previous post. And she is still nursing. She loves her "tatas."
Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #411
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
I work, so my little one is in daycare from 7am until 4pm every day. She eats 3 meals a day from the table plus snacks. And she still nurses 5 or 6 times a day. On weekends, it is way more than that! And at her 15 month checkup today she was 22 1/2 lbs. I've never heard anyone say a baby should only nurse a certain number of times a day to prevent obesity.
The best way to see if you baby's weight is normal is this "norm" that we go by from the AAP. A baby should double its birth weight by 6 months & triple it by 1 year. Of course, some people think a fat baby is a healthy one, which we all know is wrong. Some people think if a baby is crying, stick something in it's mouth, food, bottle or breast. They can be comforted other ways as well. I have my nurse chart a baby's growth on every well check-up. I do routine bloodwork at the kindergarten physical at which time, many children are already showing high cholesterol & high blood sugar.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #412
rparmfamily
In paradise

My DD is 14 months and has had a resurgence in the frequency of nursing. She's nursing a lot (mostly comfort nursing) during the day. She's cutting 4 molars so I blame that.

She's 19.8 lbs at 14 mo, so a peanut but she's just like my other 2. (DD10 is 55 lbs)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #413
december
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherwillmom View Post
The best way to see if you baby's weight is normal is this "norm" that we go by from the AAP. A baby should double its birth weight by 6 months & triple it by 1 year. Of course, some people think a fat baby is a healthy one, which we all know is wrong. Some people think if a baby is crying, stick something in it's mouth, food, bottle or breast. They can be comforted other ways as well. I have my nurse chart a baby's growth on every well check-up. I do routine bloodwork at the kindergarten physical at which time, many children are already showing high cholesterol & high blood sugar.
I'm not questioning her weight, just stating it as fact. She is less than triple her birth weight at 15 mos, and is not restricted in nursing (she is nursing now). She is a wonderfully healthy baby.

I understand that childhood obesity is huge problem right now. I just don't think breastfeeding is a contributing factor.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #414
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFool View Post
I would just like to make a comment to all the moms that are breastfeeding. Please remember that when you see an infant being bottle fed there may be a reason for it. My daughter (9 now) was born with a cleft palate. I was not able to breastfeed her as she couldn't suck. I pumped for 8 months and she got breastmilk in a bottle. I cannot express how many looks or comments I had on how wrong it was that I was not breastfeeding my child. i wanted to wear a sign saying: "there is breastmilk in the bottle!" Please remember that when you see a baby getting a bottle..don't judge or make assumptions please. I luckily was able to breastfeed my second daughter for a year.... wish I could have with both my children.
Good for you for nursing as long as you did, but I have always felt the opposite of you. I always NIP and get some strange looks but I don't care. Even at xmas this past yr when we were staying at the inlaws, I had my pump out drying and my MIL brought the pump up to me wet in a bag and said it bothered my FIL to just see the pump. I asked if it bothered them to see my SIL's bottles out drying along with her can of formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherwillmom View Post
None of us are disputing that it is sad to see overweight children and health problems in such young kids. I have a friend who has a 60lb 4 year old (btw not she was not BF, but her mother also fed her cheesies as a baby and chocolates and complete junk food)
I think what we are all trying to say is no matter how many times you BF a baby/toddler, there is almost no way that child is going to become overweight or obese.
I will always BF on demand no matter the age of my children. But I also make sure that everything going in their mouths is nutritionally sound and not just empty calories. For ex. my DS is about to get some mashed banana and avocado for breakfast with his cereal.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #415
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

I'm pregnant with my first baby and am planning to breastfeed for at least until 5-6 months. I've heard stories where moms were so uncomfortable with it that they couldn't do it. Not sure how true that is, but I'm hoping I won't have any issues because I am very adament about breastfeeding!

I'm also planning to use a pump, because my mom will have the baby while I'm at work. How many have used a pump? Any recommendations for what kind of pump tp use?
coneygoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #416
kappyfinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneygoil View Post
I'm pregnant with my first baby and am planning to breastfeed for at least until 5-6 months. I've heard stories where moms were so uncomfortable with it that they couldn't do it. Not sure how true that is, but I'm hoping I won't have any issues because I am very adament about breastfeeding!

I'm also planning to use a pump, because my mom will have the baby while I'm at work. How many have used a pump? Any recommendations for what kind of pump tp use?
Good for you on deciding to nurse. I admit the first six weeks were difficult for me. But then everything "clicked" it's been super easy since. My original goal was to nurse three months. My DS is now six months old (still nursing) and I'm planning on nursing until he's a year old. It's been super easy since the "click".

If it gets too difficult talk to a lactation consultant or friends or even here. There will be many people who can offer advice. It seems like in today's society, there's not always a lot of support for nursing. I think some people think it will happen immediately without problems.

I can't give advice on a pump as I've only used the one from the hospital. I rented it for two months to help get my supply up. I stay home so I don't need to pump often. I do have a hand pump for those rare times I need it.

Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #417
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think that with each baby it is a different experience. Meaning, that sometimes it is comfortable and wonderful and it goes super easy.... other times it is more of a struggle. Each baby has their own style and some just 'like it' better than others. Some will nurse laying down or out and about , some will have no issue with a 'cover' and others love to pull them off.

The best thing to do is try and surround yourself with other mothers who nurse. Watch babies nursing, look at lots of pictures and make sure your hospital has a good LC... Find out if there is a LLL in your area and find out if you can start attending before the baby is born. Those women there will have a lot of answers too, and be good sorce of support.

On the pump question... every b**b is different. Some do quite well with hand held pumps, others only express with the super duper hospital kind... you may want to prepare yourself for trying some different ones out.

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #418
MyFriendEeyoreUK
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

My best advice would be to keep realistic expectations about breastfeeding and, as others have said, to surround yourself with other nursing mums and ask questions!

I think I went into it with unrealistic expectations. It was always stressed to us that it is natural and that if baby is latched properly it shouldn't hurt. For me, the reality was that it was very hard going for the first few weeks, and I did feel a bit of a failure for not finding it the wonderful, easy experienced that I was led to believe it would be. As others have said, every baby and mum are different and it took me and my DD a while to 'learn' what worked for us. I also found it painful for the first 10 days or so - but it was definitely worth it! I nursed DD until 14 months and am still going strong with DS at 12 months.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it may not be completely straightforward. I expected to float around looking like a serene earthmother like they do in photographs. For me personally, I would have found the journey easier if people had been honest with me about what to expect. The truth is that like any new skill, it takes a bit of practice! But I've loved it and will be very sad when DS decides to stop.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy

Laura
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #419
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congratulations! I am still nursing my third baby and work part time outside the home, so I pumped quite a bit I had a hand pump with my first and a less expensive double pump with my second and was never successful. This time I used a Medela Pump in Style and I was able to store enough milk that I have not had to supplement with formula and was able to pump very efficiently at work. I nursed when I was with my baby and pumped when I was away and purchased a can of formula just to mix baby cereal- bottles have been all breastmilk. It is a commitment, but I am so glad I was able to make it work!

If you have specific questions, send me a PM. Good luck to you!!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #420
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFool View Post
I remember going to a La Leche meeting when I was having difficulties with #3. Definitely got some funny looks there 'til I explained we were having feeding difficulties and that there was expressed breastmilk in the bottle.

I ended up EP'ing for #3 and definitely got shot "the looks" quite often. It was a loooong 13 months of explaining that there was breastmilk in the bottle everywhere I went. So yes, please think twice before casting judgement. EP'ing moms work very hard to provide breastmilk for their babies.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: