Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #391
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappyfinn View Post
Hi all. I'm jumping on this thread. My family and I are going in December. My DS will be 10 months and hopefully still nursing. He's a great nurser but gets distracted easily. But I know I can work around that by finding some quiet places.

I know this is a dumb question, but how often will he be nursing then? My daughter wouldn't nurse for anything, so even though he's my second child, I'm a newbie at BF'ing.

Thanks.
My son is 11 months and I have been giving him breastmilk exclusively. I'm sure you will get a variety of responses, but I can tell you my experience. At 10 months I was nursing 4X/day. Keep in mind he was eating all solid foods- no more baby food purees for him!!!! He nurses in the morning when he wakes, eats breakfast about an hour later, he then nurses before his AM nap, wakes and eats a regular lunch, nurses before PM nap. He eats dinner with us and nurses before bed. He is sleeping through the night and drinks water and some times juice from a cup at meals. I hope this helps!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #392
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappyfinn View Post
Hi all. I'm jumping on this thread. My family and I are going in December. My DS will be 10 months and hopefully still nursing. He's a great nurser but gets distracted easily. But I know I can work around that by finding some quiet places.

I know this is a dumb question, but how often will he be nursing then? My daughter wouldn't nurse for anything, so even though he's my second child, I'm a newbie at BF'ing.

Thanks.
At 10 months, we were still at 10-12x a day. He was on full solids (since we don't do baby food) for three meals a day with the rest of us. But my babies tend to feed more often than most. They also continue until well after their second birthdays.

I think a good way to gauge it is based on sleep... typical can be 8-9 around that age if they still have one night feeding and two naps (with the other 8 feedings being when they wake, before and after each nap, and once before bed). All kids are different... but it just depends.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #393
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
At 10 months, we were still at 10-12x a day. He was on full solids (since we don't do baby food) for three meals a day with the rest of us. But my babies tend to feed more often than most. They also continue until well after their second birthdays.

I think a good way to gauge it is based on sleep... typical can be 8-9 around that age if they still have one night feeding and two naps (with the other 8 feedings being when they wake, before and after each nap, and once before bed). All kids are different... but it just depends.
10-12x daily is too much for a 10 month old infant especially one that is eating full solids. I have worked as a lactation consultant in the past. I now work as a Primary Care Provider. An infant who eats this much is going to be over-weight. As they begin to do full solids, they should be decreasing their nursing. Although each baby is different, average is 4-5x times daily at this age.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #394
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

Hi ladies..haven't posted in a while... We are heading down to WDW Saturday, and my little guy is 6 1/2 months and we have been battling with nursing from day one. My supply was low (i saw 2 different LC's, drank water until i thought i would drown, ate tons of oatmeal..nothing) Now he nurses 2 times a day, and it makes me so sad. I nursed my last for 22 months and was hoping for the same. Just needed to vent, i am so sad
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #395
cmskok
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel8676 View Post
Hi ladies..haven't posted in a while... We are heading down to WDW Saturday, and my little guy is 6 1/2 months and we have been battling with nursing from day one. My supply was low (i saw 2 different LC's, drank water until i thought i would drown, ate tons of oatmeal..nothing) Now he nurses 2 times a day, and it makes me so sad. I nursed my last for 22 months and was hoping for the same. Just needed to vent, i am so sad
Ariel, it is so hard, because each child nurses so differently. Don't be discouraged, though! Every ounce of breastmilk that the baby gets from you is precious! Have a wonderful vacation!
1987 Off Property; 1998 CB Disneymoon; 2000 Disneyland Off Property; 2002 ASM;2003 POR; 2004 POR; 2005 PC; 2006 PC; 2007 OKW and AKL; 2008 SSR,1/2009 SSR; 9/2009 AKV KV;1/2010 BCV; 8/2010 AKV, SSR & BC; 1/2011 BLT&BWV; 1/2012 BCV, BWV & BLT; 11/2012 BCV; 8/13 CBR; 1/14 SSR

cmskok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #396
kdfogliano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
WOW!!!! I cannot believe how much some people can pump. I can spend 20-30 mins on my pump and be very lucky to get 6 oz. Usually 3 or 4 and my DS is 9 mths. I was the same way with my DD. I just have never been a successful pumper, even with me taking domperidone.

Heres another question. My best friend is Cdn but lives in Hawaii and she told me that in the US you can't get a prescription for Domperidone to assist in the production of BM. Is this in all states?

it is true, it is not approved by the FDA in the US
a pharmacist can compound it or you have to get it overseas
kdfogliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #397
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel8676 View Post
I understand your sadness. I had nursing struggles with all of my kids...until I hit #4. He nursed like a champ for almost three years. But with the others I felt such guilt. I felt...defective. Nursing was supposed to be the most natural thing in the world, but I couldn't master it. Every ounce of formula was a knife in my heart. Now, in hindsight, I feel proud of how hard I worked to provide breastmilk for my children. My last two children never had an ounce of formula. And I think you should feel proud too. Don't let mommy guilt take away from that pride. Every ounce of breastmilk that you've provided your baby is liquid gold!

Have a wonderful time in WDW!

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #398
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherwillmom View Post
10-12x daily is too much for a 10 month old infant especially one that is eating full solids. I have worked as a lactation consultant in the past. I now work as a Primary Care Provider. An infant who eats this much is going to be over-weight. As they begin to do full solids, they should be decreasing their nursing. Although each baby is different, average is 4-5x times daily at this age.
I am surprised that having worked as a lactation consultant you recommend a number of feedings. Dr.'s have always told me to let your baby nurse as often as they want, which actually decreases their likelihood of being overweight.

My DD nursed at least every 10-12x a day until she was about 1 and was only in the 3rd percentile for weight at age 1. She was pretty tiny considering she was born a healthy 7lbs 12oz and weighed 17lbs 1oz at 1.
My DS has always been a less frequent nurser. He is now 9 months and only nurses 4 x a day and he almost weighs 20lbs already.

A lot babies who nurse quite frequently are not eating the entire time.

I am not attacking you at all, so please do not be offended.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #399
kappyfinn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses. I know there's no way to accurately predict how much DS will be nursing but it's nice to hear other experiences. We currently nurse about 8 times a day now. I am slowly introducing solids and he loves to eat. I just don't want to over do it on the food and have him reject nursing.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #400
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I am surprised that having worked as a lactation consultant you recommend a number of feedings. Dr.'s have always told me to let your baby nurse as often as they want, which actually decreases their likelihood of being overweight.

My DD nursed at least every 10-12x a day until she was about 1 and was only in the 3rd percentile for weight at age 1. She was pretty tiny considering she was born a healthy 7lbs 12oz and weighed 17lbs 1oz at 1.
My DS has always been a less frequent nurser. He is now 9 months and only nurses 4 x a day and he almost weighs 20lbs already.

A lot babies who nurse quite frequently are not eating the entire time.

I am not attacking you at all, so please do not be offended.
You're lucky to have healthy weight babies. We have so much trouble with babies literally becoming obese before their first birthday that it slows down their physical development. Some of them have trouble sitting up well, crawling, or walking. I only give an estimate of how many times that a baby should nurse. Many times if they are nursing so frequently after a few months old, they aren't getting enough nutrition. If they are eating baby food or solids too, it helps. I have some mothers who refuse to let their baby have any food except breast milk until after their first birthday. These babies usually are a healthy weight but are mal-nourished. I routinely order a basic blood panel at age one. It gives me a good idea about their status.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #401
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're lucky to have healthy weight babies. We have so much trouble with babies literally becoming obese before their first birthday that it slows down their physical development. Some of them have trouble sitting up well, crawling, or walking. I only give an estimate of how many times that a baby should nurse. Many times if they are nursing so frequently after a few months old, they aren't getting enough nutrition. If they are eating baby food or solids too, it helps. I have some mothers who refuse to let their baby have any food except breast milk until after their first birthday. These babies usually are a healthy weight but are mal-nourished. I routinely order a basic blood panel at age one. It gives me a good idea about their status.
No flames...but I didn't know that it was possible for a baby to be obese? Especially a breastfed one....

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #402
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I thought I should post this.

According to AAP's website:

"Extent and duration of breastfeeding have been found to be inversely associated with risk of obesity in later childhood, possibly mediated by physiologic factors in human milk as well as by the feeding and parenting patterns associated with nursing."

I'm taking this to mean that extent means how often one nurses and duration means how long one nurses. So I would think that encouraging more nursing and less supplemental use of foods particularly in the first few months in life would be important in the prevention of obesity.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #403
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
No flames...but I didn't know that it was possible for a baby to be obese? Especially a breastfed one....
Yes it is. Unfortunately it happens more often than you think. It's not usually the ones that are only breast-fed though. It's the ones that nurse a lot & eat a lot of food too. It happens more commonly with formula fed babies. I have seen babies for their well baby check-ups who are behind on their physical development, mostly being too fat to crawl or walk properly. It's not what we usually see, but it does happen. It's hard to tell a parent who is trying to take good care of their baby that they are over-feeding it. A lot of the time, babies are eating a lot of table food that has more calories than nutrition because that's what they eat the best.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #404
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes it is. Unfortunately it happens more often than you think. It's not usually the ones that are only breast-fed though. It's the ones that nurse a lot & eat a lot of food too. It happens more commonly with formula fed babies. I have seen babies for their well baby check-ups who are behind on their physical development, mostly being too fat to crawl or walk properly. It's not what we usually see, but it does happen. It's hard to tell a parent who is trying to take good care of their baby that they are over-feeding it. A lot of the time, babies are eating a lot of table food that has more calories than nutrition because that's what they eat the best.
Then it sounds like the problem is table food, not breast milk. If a baby nurses and eats Twinkies, I'd blame the Twinkies, not the nursing. I don't think it's possible for a baby to nurse "too much" as an infant. In fact, the very act of the baby being in control of his own caloric intake is, in theory, one of the ways that breastfeeding acts as a protective factor against obesity. Nursing 10-12 times a day is not excessive. A baby may be teething and thus comfort nursing. Nothing at all abnormal about that.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #405
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmomof4 View Post
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I thought I should post this.

According to AAP's website:

"Extent and duration of breastfeeding have been found to be inversely associated with risk of obesity in later childhood, possibly mediated by physiologic factors in human milk as well as by the feeding and parenting patterns associated with nursing."

I'm taking this to mean that extent means how often one nurses and duration means how long one nurses. So I would think that encouraging more nursing and less supplemental use of foods particularly in the first few months in life would be important in the prevention of obesity.
I think that the phrase 'extent and duration" means days weeks and years of an infants life... meaning the longer a child is exclusively breastfed, the lower their risk of being obese later in life...

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: