Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #286
sritter78
Mouseketeer

I just got back on Wednesday. DS is almost 15 months and nursed throughout the world. Examples: Haunted Mansion, Pooh, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth, Carousel of Progress, TTA, Maelstrom, Indiana Jones, etc. I wore a tank top underneath my shirt (to cover the belly while nursing) and would just lift the outside shirt and pull down the tank top.

I did utilize the baby center at MK, HS, and Epcot. I love the one at MK. There was only one time that another mother was in there nursing (where as last year the room was always full). I was not happy one day when I went in and there was an entire extended family eating there lunch in the TV room at MK. There was not room in there for a family that would need access to the high chairs, etc. I also was not happy one of the times at HS. The nursing "room" is just a space blocked off by a curtain. There were 2 men and a child waiting for the mom to finish nursing watching TV. However, they were talking extremely loud and it was too distracting for my little guy and he wouldn't stay latched on because he kept hearing them. I also nursed DS in the bathroom at Camp Minnie/Mickey at AK. We were too far from the baby center and he was hungry. It was really hot outside and the bathroom was much cooler and had a bench inside it.

I did not use the Ergo like I thought I would. It was too hot to carry him around.

One suggestion--buy clip on fans from CVS (they are WONDERFUL). I clipped 2 of these to the top of DS's stroller and he NEVER got hot (while the rest of us were drenched in sweat).

2003~Off-site
2006~Off-site---DD's 1st Trip
2008~AKL/Poly
2009~Contemporary---DS's 1st Trip
2010~AKL/Saratoga Springs
2011~Off-Site-Surprise Trip
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
2013-Saratoga Springs
sritter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #287
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I have a question for you BFing moms about sippy cups. DS is almost 7 months old and I've been trying to introduce a sippy cup. He won't take bottles at all, so I'm a little worried that he will never get a hang of drinking from anything but the ****! I've put a little water in the cup and given it to him and he will play with it, but seems uninterested in drinking from it. I've tried holding it up to his mouth, but he will fuss and cry. Do you all have any tips for getting him to use a sippy?
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #288
december
DIS Veteran

Katie doesn't like any of the spill proof cups-too much work. I know some here have had success with straw type cups, but Katie won't use them at all. She only likes the take and toss type cups. You have to watch her with them, because she can make a mess, but she drinks milk, water, and juice from them.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #289
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I have a question for you BFing moms about sippy cups. DS is almost 7 months old and I've been trying to introduce a sippy cup. He won't take bottles at all, so I'm a little worried that he will never get a hang of drinking from anything but the ****! I've put a little water in the cup and given it to him and he will play with it, but seems uninterested in drinking from it. I've tried holding it up to his mouth, but he will fuss and cry. Do you all have any tips for getting him to use a sippy?
my DD is almost 9 months and she does the exact same thing you are saying. She holds them upside down to her face and mouth and plays around. If turn it around to try to "help" her, she actually gets mad and smacks it aside and will usually cry.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #290
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am having trouble getting my 9 month old to use them without us "feeding" him. I think I am going to water down some juice, although I really don't want to introduce juice yet, or pump and put breast milk in the cup. My DS likes the Nuby brand- softer nipple- and will tolerate it better than the hard plastic.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #291
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Hey ladies! I have awhile until we got back to WDW. I will be going with my then 10 mo old, so I have really enjoyed this thread. Thank you for the advice and support.

I have a question that isn't neccessarily related to BF. I need a baby carrier. If I can BF in it, that is a BONUS, but not too important right now. I am trying to NOT spend a lot. This will likely be my last baby (he is nearly 3 weeks). Most important is comfort!!! Back for me and comfort for the baby. I'd like to use a $25 electronic GC for Taget I got from Swagbucks. Can you help me?
aksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #292
rparmfamily
In paradise

I know you don't want to spend a lot, but the Ergo is totally worth it. I got mine off Craigslist for $40 (a steal, they are usually 80 on there). You can easily use it until they are 2yrs,etc.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #293
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Katie doesn't like any of the spill proof cups-too much work. I know some here have had success with straw type cups, but Katie won't use them at all. She only likes the take and toss type cups. You have to watch her with them, because she can make a mess, but she drinks milk, water, and juice from them.
For my oldest three...the issue was always those "spill proof" stoppers. Due to cup construction....the suction they needed to utilize to successfully drink was impossible. So I removed them.

For a transitional sippy, Avent used to make this spout attachment that went on their bottles. It was soft like a nipple...but much wider to help with learning how to navigate a sippy. That might be perfect for your 7 month old.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #294
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

For a carrier, that you can nurse in...I swear by the Moby Wrap. There is a leaning curve to getting it on right. I even think you can make one yourself. I had bough mine from sling station.

I also have a hotsling and an ellaroo...all from my third.

My new baby is 4 weeks old and she loves the moby.

I have some issues with muscle strenght and fatigue In my back and moby is just so ergonomically correct for me.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #295
rparmfamily
In paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa loves Pooh View Post
For my oldest three...the issue was always those "spill proof" stoppers. Due to cup construction....the suction they needed to utilize to successfully drink was impossible. So I removed them.

For a transitional sippy, Avent used to make this spout attachment that went on their bottles. It was soft like a nipple...but much wider to help with learning how to navigate a sippy. That might be perfect for your 7 month old.
That's what I have for my 12 mo old, I started introducing it at about 6 mo old. She still doesn't drink tons out of it. But I think the soft spout is easier for them.

I'm just going to buy the strawcups I think...she LOVES to drink out of straws.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #296
Momof2princess'
Earning My Ears

I dont know how to quote another post yet...im blonde...anyways...

In response to the post about sippy cups. My DD now 3 refused to take a bottle. At 4 months I had a scan where I had to pump and dump for 24 hours after. The only way she would take a sippy was the nuby brand, given to her upside down. I think she like the feel of cup on her chin since it was similar to the ****. You could try this. Otherwise, I would suggest just using a cup or water bottle. Water bottles can have a slower flow and my DD6mos will drink out of it no problem. Good luck!

In response to the question about which carrier. I would splurge for a Mei Tei. I LOVE mine! It is so amazing. I have carried both my DD's in it. My DD3.5 is still able to fit and sometimes she just needs the extra comfort of being held and it saves my back! Plus I have had a severe back injury so I can't use a ring sling or anything like that. They are too painful. I have also tried the Bjorn and it hurt as well......JMO......good luck! I hope you find one that works for you!
Momof2princess' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #297
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

My DS used the Nuby cups at first, too. They are great!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #298
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DS refused a bottle until he was about 5 months and then we had success with the Born Free. But he never gets to use them as I am horrible at pumping. He loves water and his fav sippy cup is the take n toss cups. We have tried every other one known to man and he does ok w/ most of them but loves the take n toss, and so does my bank account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksunshine View Post
Hey ladies! I have awhile until we got back to WDW. I will be going with my then 10 mo old, so I have really enjoyed this thread. Thank you for the advice and support.

I have a question that isn't neccessarily related to BF. I need a baby carrier. If I can BF in it, that is a BONUS, but not too important right now. I am trying to NOT spend a lot. This will likely be my last baby (he is nearly 3 weeks). Most important is comfort!!! Back for me and comfort for the baby. I'd like to use a $25 electronic GC for Taget I got from Swagbucks. Can you help me?
If you have had prior back trouble, you really need a carrier that will not cause any strain on your back. My DH had a herniated disc and sciatic pain and has no problems with our Ergo. He can even carry our DD3 on his back in it. If you cannot afford a new one, look for one used. Also the Ergo website often has auctions on their carriers and you can usually pick one up there cheaper than the original retail price.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #299
LLane82
Earning My Ears

Newbie here, hope yall dont mind me just jumping in

As far as the sippies go....as some PP have stated I have to take the stopper out and let some pour into my little guys mouth so he understands what hes getting. That way he doesnt get frustrated with the cup before he even gives it a try.

I saw someone mention the Ergo but I havent looked at any past posts to see if it was discussed in detail, so forgive me if this has been discussed already!

Ive been seriously considering buying a Ergo even before planning this trip. We're going mid Sept so Im wondering if that would be too hot to (plan on) wearing at the parks? I'll either look for one on Craigslist or borrow one from a friend. I have a Moby Wrap already but I know that will be too hot to wear.

First DW trip Sept 2010! Cant wait to go back!!
LLane82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #300
december
DIS Veteran

I bought the Ergo Sport, and had no problems wearing it in the parks earlier this month. It is made for hotter weather.
december is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: