Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #256
december
DIS Veteran

I didn't try to nurse while she was in the Ergo. I would slide the straps off my shoulders first. But we nurse pretty much any position. Katie is a contortionist when it comes to getting what she wants! She liked showing off for my sister-seems like she knew that it was making my sister uncomfortable, so she kept trying to do her stand up and nurse upside move.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #257
QuiverofArrows
Mouseketeer

Intro

Hi. Thanks for the invite. I'm Stephanie and I am techie challenged. After I finish this post, I'm going to try and figure out again how to update my sig line to update ages of children.

As you can see, I'm the mother of 7 and have breastfed the last 6. Feel free to ask me any questions as I have friends who are LLL leaders. I try and discreetly feed my little ones and keep us comfy as well as those around us comfy, or at least as much as I can. This last child was a challenging situation because she had open heart surgery when she was a day old. I had to pump for the first time and use bottles which was a nightmare. She was barely gaining weight and it was frustrating for both of us and exhausting. Her cardiologist is THE BEST (in Knoxville, TN) and she suggested we try just breastfeeding and see how she did. She completely THRIVED and did so much better. The only other time I had used bottles was with our baby goats and that lasted less than 48 hrs because that is a lot of work!

Bras - I haven't had the luxurty to try many but I like the ones from Motherhood Maternity and I clip the seams on the side to remove the hard plastic support as I think they are very uncomfortable.

Geneva will be going to Disney for the first time the week after Thanksgiving. Any tips for a large family, feel free to pass along. We are only going one day with our GAD passes and then we'll go to the VMCP one night. Can't wait!

Better run. Guests coming this weekend and last weekend of soccer! 5 children in 4 age groups has made for a very interesting season, next year there will be 5 age groups.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #258
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

I have a question about how often your babies nurse. My DS is 9 months and has been eating purees for about 3 months now. Here is our current schedule: DS nurses when he wakes, eats breakfast about an hour later, nurses around 11:00, eats lunch after his nap, nurses around 3:00, eats dinner between 5 and 6:00 and nurses at bedtime. I feel like I spend my day feeding this baby! I don't remember my older kids needing their milk separate from their solids, is this common? I nursed my older kids, but always supplemented with formula. I have not needed to supplement this time, but he just seems to need to be eating something constantly!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #259
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiverofArrows View Post
Hi. Thanks for the invite. I'm Stephanie and I am techie challenged. After I finish this post, I'm going to try and figure out again how to update my sig line to update ages of children.

As you can see, I'm the mother of 7 and have breastfed the last 6. Feel free to ask me any questions as I have friends who are LLL leaders. I try and discreetly feed my little ones and keep us comfy as well as those around us comfy, or at least as much as I can. This last child was a challenging situation because she had open heart surgery when she was a day old. I had to pump for the first time and use bottles which was a nightmare. She was barely gaining weight and it was frustrating for both of us and exhausting. Her cardiologist is THE BEST (in Knoxville, TN) and she suggested we try just breastfeeding and see how she did. She completely THRIVED and did so much better. The only other time I had used bottles was with our baby goats and that lasted less than 48 hrs because that is a lot of work!

Bras - I haven't had the luxurty to try many but I like the ones from Motherhood Maternity and I clip the seams on the side to remove the hard plastic support as I think they are very uncomfortable.

Geneva will be going to Disney for the first time the week after Thanksgiving. Any tips for a large family, feel free to pass along. We are only going one day with our GAD passes and then we'll go to the VMCP one night. Can't wait!

Better run. Guests coming this weekend and last weekend of soccer! 5 children in 4 age groups has made for a very interesting season, next year there will be 5 age groups.
Tips for large families:
1. Be aggressive about keeping your family together. You will find that others will always be pushing their way in and separate you. Especially with the parking lot trams. I've had to let my little one sit with a stranger before(because they can't be on the end of the tram) because people pushed their way between my family and we all got separated from my DH. He actually had to wait for the next tram.
2. Have the little ones wait at a table for lunch while other people go and order the food. We tried to do it the DIS approved way our first night and all go together to order our food and then to a table. We ended up spilling salad dressing all over the floor and almost divorcing. After that I took the little kids to sit and DH took the big boys to get food.
3. You will actually be very surprised that you won't feel like a big freak family at Disney. There are a TON of big families that go to Disney now. We saw so many people with 4+ children. It was cool.

We had a great time and it wasn't any more difficult than taking our family anywhere else. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&beast View Post
I have a question about how often your babies nurse. My DS is 9 months and has been eating purees for about 3 months now. Here is our current schedule: DS nurses when he wakes, eats breakfast about an hour later, nurses around 11:00, eats lunch after his nap, nurses around 3:00, eats dinner between 5 and 6:00 and nurses at bedtime. I feel like I spend my day feeding this baby! I don't remember my older kids needing their milk separate from their solids, is this common? I nursed my older kids, but always supplemented with formula. I have not needed to supplement this time, but he just seems to need to be eating something constantly!
Ellie is almost 10 months and she eats stage 2 baby food(only because we get it free) and some(she only has 2 teeth) table food. She nurses when she first wakes up, about an hour after that, after her nap, after lunch, before her nap, after her nap, after dinner and before bed. Sometimes less, sometimes more. That has been the norm for all my kids. She drinks water from a sippy cup in between times.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #260
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

MommyPoppins thank you for the photos. What I now wonder is are you supplying her from over the top of your tank or what is her access with the carrier on? I don't know if she could get to me from the top of my shirt.... I am just uh, really rather WELL endowed right now. I am wearing looser tee shirts right now to kind of minimize the look. I am afraid to wear tanks because I feel all bo ob-ish in them. I don't know if I could easily do it over the top, but then to pull up my shirt inside the carrier.... just seems like a cluttered situation.

If I get one of these contraptions I will need to practice before "coming out" The first outings with a carrier will be at our county fair. We show cattle and hogs. I have already been questioned by SEVERAL people how long I plan to nurse or if I am planning to wean her soon. I have gotten some funny looks when I tell them it is up to her how long I nurse her. If I am NIP while using a carrier I will try to minimize the shock effect to my small town acquaintances by showing as little of me as possible.

belle&beast I feel the same as you with my almost 9 month old. She nurses when getting up, before & after morning nap, before and after afternoon sleep, early evening and before bed. She is very distracted by the world around her (4 sibs) so she doesn't always fill herself up. I consider her a reverse cycler. She nurses hard still around 2 a.m. and then again around 5:30a.m. Part of her thing is her aversion to most baby food. I can usually get her to eat the boxed rice cereal early in the day then mid evening. She likes the milder fruits and only 2-3 diff vegetables. None of the baby food meals appeal to her - its all just a big joke as most of them end up in the dog's dish. I have just started to give her some solids from the table. But it has been really hard with her. My doc says all babes are diff and to let her dictate the schedule as long as she stays hydrated, continues weight gain and gets some adequate iron

Last edited by WendyLovesPeter; 06-10-2010 at 11:36 AM.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #261
MommyPoppins
A new saying!

Yeah I just pull the shirt down. I don't wear t-shirts. It's freakin HOT in Florida right now. So if it has sleeves I don't wear it until about November. lol. It would not be very easy to pull your shirt up without causing a stir. lol. I guess if you loosen the carrier enough you could do it though. For me it's just easier to pull my tank down and use the hood as a cover.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #262
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post

Ellie is almost 10 months and she eats stage 2 baby food(only because we get it free) and some(she only has 2 teeth) table food. She nurses when she first wakes up, about an hour after that, after her nap, after lunch, before her nap, after her nap, after dinner and before bed. Sometimes less, sometimes more. That has been the norm for all my kids. She drinks water from a sippy cup in between times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
I feel the same as you with my almost 9 month old. She nurses when getting up, before & after morning nap, before and after afternoon sleep, early evening and before bed. She is very distracted by the world around her (4 sibs) so she doesn't always fill herself up. I consider her a reverse cycler. She nurses hard still around 2 a.m. and then again around 5:30a.m. Part of her thing is her aversion to most baby food. I can usually get her to eat the boxed rice cereal early in the day then mid evening. She likes the milder fruits and only 2-3 diff vegetables. None of the baby food meals appeal to her - its all just a big joke as most of them end up in the dog's dish. I have just started to give her some solids from the table. But it has been really hard with her. My doc says all babes are diff and to let her dictate the schedule as long as she stays hydrated, continues weight gain and gets some adequate iron
WOW! You ladies are feeding way more often than I do!!!! I guess I should feel lucky that he is sleeping through the night LOL! It just feels like I don't get enough time between feedings (breast or food) to get anything done around here. I guess that's another great reason for baby wearing, huh?!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #263
rparmfamily
In paradise

My DD is 12 mo now, doesn't sleep thru the night, eats 3 jars a day plus whatever regular food with us, nurses on demand for the most part (which would be about 5-6 times a day, not counting nightime.)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #264
december
DIS Veteran

Katie is almost 13 mos. She is up at least once during the night. Until last week, she nursed in the morning, ate breakfast, lunch and a snack (table food) at daycare, then nursed when I picked her up about 4, and pretty much non stop until bedtime! She started refusing bottles of expressed milk about mid March, but would drink whole milk in a sippy cup for meals. Now that I'm off for the summer, she is nursing on demand (like right now). She is on all table food, and ate almost as much as dd10 in WDW last week. I'd say she nurses at least 6 times a day.-probably more!
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #265
MommyPoppins
A new saying!

Yeah I nurse Ellie on demand too, except at night. Then I demand she goes back to sleep. ;o) I only nurse her at night if she is sick or teething.

Last edited by MommyPoppins; 06-11-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: She demands a lot. lol
MommyPoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #266
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiverofArrows View Post
Hi. Thanks for the invite. I'm Stephanie and I am techie challenged. After I finish this post, I'm going to try and figure out again how to update my sig line to update ages of children. ..................................
Welcome to our growing BFing thread!!! We only have 2 children, but this year we are going with my cousin's family and they have 6 children. Some large family tips from them would be to share your meals if you are eating in the parks. They manage to need only 5 meals for all 8 of them and their oldest is 17 and youngest is 7. They try to stay together for the most part BUT since you are there for a short visit, maybe if the big kids want to do something different than the little kids, have one spouse take the big kids and you take the little kids or vice versa. It doesn't have to be for the whole day but maybe for an hour or 2.
Glad to hear everything is working out for your little one. Surgery can be so scary for our children, especially when they are that young!

Quote:
My DS just turned 7 months yesterday and his nursing has def decreased. He usually does not eat and BF at the same feeding. He is down to nursing maybe 5x a day. He eats cereal in the morning, thicker pureed foods all day, mashed banana, mashed avocado, and he self feeds Mum Mum crackers and those Gerber puffs. We have been starting to make his food thicker and chunkier but he has 6 teeth already. If he had things his way he would self feed all his meals. Such a stubborn little man
Oh and he also gets water at his meals.
I know sometimes it can seem like all they do is eat but it will decrease. They are still growing so much.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #267
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
Yeah I nurse Ellie on demand too, except at night. Then I demand she goes back to sleep. ;o) I only nurse her at night if she is sick or teething.
I used to be able to do that, I'd rock her back to sleep. But for the last couple months she'll SCREAM at the top of her lungs til I feed her. Although thankfully this week she'll nurse one time for real and twice just for a minute or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
We have been starting to make his food thicker and chunkier but he has 6 teeth already. If he had things his way he would self feed all his meals.
6 teeth - wow! My 7 month old has none, and for that I am thankful!

Adi12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #268
Pookasaurus
Mouseketeer

I'm a little jealous of all you ladies able to nurse in your carriers! I have a beco and a few ring slings and have never been able to figure out nursing in any of them (though to be fair I gave up quickly lol). I'm able to nurse easily and discreetly sitting down so it doesn't bother me too much, but being able to stand up and walk around while nursing would be nice!!!
Pookasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #269
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is our 13-month-old DD's schedule almost exactly, except she's still taking 2 naps a day (usually). Sometimes she won't do one of the mid-day nursings, but her norm is 4 nursings and 3 solid meals per day. It does feel like she spends most of her day either eating or sleeping, but I guess that's normal! Her pediatrician told us that once she's nursing less than 3 times a day on a regular basis she should start drinking cow's milk, but for now she just drinks water with her solid meals and gets all her milk from nursing.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #270
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
That is our 13-month-old DD's schedule almost exactly, except she's still taking 2 naps a day (usually). Sometimes she won't do one of the mid-day nursings, but her norm is 4 nursings and 3 solid meals per day. It does feel like she spends most of her day either eating or sleeping, but I guess that's normal! Her pediatrician told us that once she's nursing less than 3 times a day on a regular basis she should start drinking cow's milk, but for now she just drinks water with her solid meals and gets all her milk from nursing.
Our DD weaned herself at 13 months once she started drinking whole milk. I wish I never would have introduced it because as soon as she got a taste of the milk, she wanted nothing to do with BFing.
I guess I wasn't creamy enough for her

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: