Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #181
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparmfamily View Post

As you can see, I don't cover up at all. She HATES it (fights it) and it's just plain hot.
Great picture you would never even know what she was dong. lol. I never heard of a nursing suit.

WendyLovesPeter - - By then she should be able to drink from a straw or sippy cup and you can offer her water. If she won't just make sure your are drinking TONS so you can keep her hydrated. Just offer her the breast more often. If you do the Ergo thing she can pretty much have it at will.

Well I am supposed to be nursing at WDW tonight! But last night I was up vomiting, so I don't know what is going to happen between now and when it's time to leave. I am drinking some water and had a banana, hopefully everything stays in place and I start to feel stronger.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #182
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
Well I am supposed to be nursing at WDW tonight! But last night I was up vomiting, so I don't know what is going to happen between now and when it's time to leave. I am drinking some water and had a banana, hopefully everything stays in place and I start to feel stronger.
Oh no!! I hope you feel better!!
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #183
december
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
hi.
great thread. I am currently nursing my 5th, but she will be my first nursling at WDW. I have taken smaller scale, slower paced vacations with the other kids when they were nursing. She will be 10 months at our time of travel.

My trick is I wear a belly band that matches my shirt. I can lift my shirt to nurse, and you really can't tell because no skin exposed. I don't cover on top with anything unless its cold. I know just how to lay my shirt around her mouth on top. If I tried to cover her head, it would be a big time wrestling match. We are going in summer, and I am worried I will overheat with a band around my midsection. The other thing I am worried about is it is getting harder to nurse her while walking... the baby girl is getting big. My already weak back muscles are screaming. I might have to check out that ergo sling. It will be a learning curve for me cuz I have never used a sling before.

I am also concerned about her hydration down in Florida. My DD has chosen a life or "breast or none." She barely drinks expressed milk at the sitter when I work. I hope by the time she is 10 months old I can have her sipping from a straw so she gets some water sips as well as nursing when we are down there. I just don't want her to get behind on her fluids!

A PP mentioned how different her parenting style is from her sister. She mentioned co sleeping and how her sister has had the baby tucked away from day 1. This is my rationalizing..... we are supposedly the smartest mammals, yet all other mammals (that I know of anyway ) sleep with their young. Why do some humans separate from their young during sleep? To me its the most natural thing to keep her near me, and yes, its easier. With those 4 other kids, I need any sleep I can get!
That was me I love snuggling with my Katie at night.

Katie only likes her milk from the source, too. She was 1 on May 14. She never liked the bottle, and started refusing it completely at daycare at 10mos. I finally quit pumping because it hurt so bad to throw it out! She will drink some from a sippy, but not much. She does eat very well, though. No baby food, but loves table food! In 5 days, she gets to eat at the CP with Pooh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
Great picture you would never even know what she was dong. lol. I never heard of a nursing suit.

WendyLovesPeter - - By then she should be able to drink from a straw or sippy cup and you can offer her water. If she won't just make sure your are drinking TONS so you can keep her hydrated. Just offer her the breast more often. If you do the Ergo thing she can pretty much have it at will.

I hope you are better!
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #184
cerilene
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to mention La Leche to anyone needing help and/or local support. I've been going to our monthly meeting since DD was about 4 months and have found it to be so helpful.

Here's a link to the website where you can find a local meeting. http://www.llli.org/

Mommypoppins - I hope you start feeling better and can enjoy your trip!

cerilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #185
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post
I have 4 children (one adopted) and I have only BF my now 3 month old. BF'ing never worked out with the other 2 kids. Anyway, since I have so many people who BF on here I need some advise. I am 5'2" and 190 lbs and I have larger breasts. If I put a nursing cover or blanket over him, I worry about my breast covering his nose. It's happened a few times without the cover when I was distracted for a minute. I have to hold his head with my one hand and use my other hand to keep my breast lowered. I also mentioned my height since I'm not that tall so I don't really have a lot of room between my chest and stomach. Therefore the baby doesn' have a lot of room. Then there is the process of laying him on my lap after BF so I can pull up the BF bra flap and replace the leak pad and then position my shirt. This is all while I'm trying to keep him on my lap (short legs) and not roll off. I'm just wondering if it's my size (breast, height, weight) that's giving me a problem or I just have no clue how to make it easier....help if you have any suggestions. Also, I pump at work and have to have both hands on the pump shield or milk will start to drip out the underside of the pump. Other people BF'ing are eating their lunch, reading a book...and here I am trying to keep all the milk in the bottle! I feel like I'm doing a half *** job at BF'ing.

We are going to Disney in 3 months and plan of BF but find it's going to be really hard. I know BF is great but it seems it would be easier not to BF.
I am a working breastfeeding mom too, and pumping can be a challenge. I do not ever have my hands free while pumping but I think there are bras that will hold the shields in place. I have gotten it down to only taking about 10 minutes to pump from start to clean up. But I have been back to work for 6 months- it takes time! Be patient- you are doing the best thing for your baby!

I am "blessed" with a large chest, too, and it can be difficult to be discreet at times. I could never wear the nursing tanks without a bra with huge straps underneath and I have to pull my shirts up to nurse- I would show WAY too much skin if I tried from the top! When my kids were younger, I worried about their noses getting covered, but as they get a little older, they reposition themselves and move around the breast. Also I don't seem to get so engorged anymore, so my breasts are not always super firm when I nurse.

You have a long time until your trip- things will probably be a lot easier in 3 months!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #186
roobug
Mouseketeer

Anyone nursed toddlers at WDW? We are going in a few weeks, and my twins will be 23 months at the time, we are still BF mostly because they were preemies and the health benefits of BF are so great for them. They are down to 3-4 times a day, but we will be in the parks for at least one of those times, and I'm worried how I will handle nursing them. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #187
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobug View Post
Anyone nursed toddlers at WDW? We are going in a few weeks, and my twins will be 23 months at the time, we are still BF mostly because they were preemies and the health benefits of BF are so great for them. They are down to 3-4 times a day, but we will be in the parks for at least one of those times, and I'm worried how I will handle nursing them. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
If you are uncomfortable nursing your toddlers in public you can always make use of the Baby Care Centers located in each park or you could nurse them while on a ride or in a show, although I imagine they would probably get quite distracted with so much going on around them.

But do not feel like you need to hide just because they are a little older. I would have nursed my DD that long but she weaned herself at 13 months. Hopefulyl my DS6mths will nurse longer but I doubt it as he is already starting to lose interest.

BTW, kuddos to you for not only nursing twins but nursing them for so long. I know so many people who say they cannot BF because they have twins and there will not be enough milk, which we all know is BS, your body can always make more milk. Supply and demand folks, supply and demand.

Well I'm done my 5:30am pump, back to bed I go before the kiddies wake up.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #188
hippiemama76
Mouseketeer

Seriously kudos for nursing twins that long - how awesome!!

HippieBabe is almost 22 months and is nursing all day (and all night - ugh) long. I nurse her all over the place. I have gotten a few eyerolls and dramatic sighs, but nothing I can't handle.

The funniest at Disney - I was wearing HB in a wrap and, like always, had on a v-neck shirt for easy from-the-top access . . . Two teenage boys walked by and looked over (I'm 38G/H) and one of them said, "D---, that kid has the best seat in the house!" I actually cracked up (I thought it was funny) and turned around to say, "Totally - every baby deserves to have mamamilk." They both sobered up, and one of them muttered, "Yeah, my mama nursed me when I was a baby." I winked and said, "That must be why you're so handsome." and went on my way. Could have been a bad situation, but ended up being cute.

Recent Trips - 12/08, 4/09, 12/09, 1/10, 2/10, 3/10 (x2), 4/10 (x2), 5/10 (x2)
Premium Annual Pass - expires 3/2011
hippiemama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #189
gatormommy07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemama76 View Post
Seriously kudos for nursing twins that long - how awesome!!

HippieBabe is almost 22 months and is nursing all day (and all night - ugh) long. I nurse her all over the place. I have gotten a few eyerolls and dramatic sighs, but nothing I can't handle.

The funniest at Disney - I was wearing HB in a wrap and, like always, had on a v-neck shirt for easy from-the-top access . . . Two teenage boys walked by and looked over (I'm 38G/H) and one of them said, "D---, that kid has the best seat in the house!" I actually cracked up (I thought it was funny) and turned around to say, "Totally - every baby deserves to have mamamilk." They both sobered up, and one of them muttered, "Yeah, my mama nursed me when I was a baby." I winked and said, "That must be why you're so handsome." and went on my way. Could have been a bad situation, but ended up being cute.
That is so cute and AWESOME!!! That is why my 2 boys are so handsome too!!
gatormommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #190
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are they nursing on a schedule or on demand?

My youngest was also 23 mos during our first trip, but I was only nursing a few times a day when he seemed to want/need it. Some days it was many times, others just once or twice. I wound up never nursing him in the parks (although I had no issue nursing in public). He was just so interested in everything around him, that I think he forgot about it. We did go back to the resort each day for a long nap, so I nursed him each day before we napped. Some evenings I would nurse him after he had a bath, but some nights he just seemed exhausted and went to sleep without it.

During the trip I thought he was self-weaning, but he continued to nurse 1-3 times a day for the next six months.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #191
roobug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
Are they nursing on a schedule or on demand?

My youngest was also 23 mos during our first trip, but I was only nursing a few times a day when he seemed to want/need it. Some days it was many times, others just once or twice. I wound up never nursing him in the parks (although I had no issue nursing in public). He was just so interested in everything around him, that I think he forgot about it. We did go back to the resort each day for a long nap, so I nursed him each day before we napped. Some evenings I would nurse him after he had a bath, but some nights he just seemed exhausted and went to sleep without it.

During the trip I thought he was self-weaning, but he continued to nurse 1-3 times a day for the next six months.
They are on demand - however we go to Disneyland often, and they always nurse while in the park there - but it's not as hot so I use a cover and it's not a huge deal. When they get hot though they fight the cover so maybe the baby centers will be best. I will hope that nursing when they wake up, at naptime at the hotel, and before bed will be enough as I just thought through nursing them at the park and it seems overwhelming to me with the two of them.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #192
roobug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
BTW, kuddos to you for not only nursing twins but nursing them for so long. I know so many people who say they cannot BF because they have twins and there will not be enough milk, which we all know is BS, your body can always make more milk. Supply and demand folks, supply and demand.

Well I'm done my 5:30am pump, back to bed I go before the kiddies wake up.
I always hear that from other twin mothers, or the my milk didn't come in because I had a c-section. Yeah I had an emergency c-section, HELPS, coded, and still my milk came in, it was work but it came in and more then enough for them.

I think the biggest issue is that really for most people breastfeeding does not come naturally and it can be a ton of work and mom's are not aware of that from the beginning so when it's hard or it doesn't magically happen they give up. I'm so glad that I was informed before giving birth so that I didn't give up right away.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #193
belle&beast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always hear that from other twin mothers, or the my milk didn't come in because I had a c-section. Yeah I had an emergency c-section, HELPS, coded, and still my milk came in, it was work but it came in and more then enough for them.

I think the biggest issue is that really for most people breastfeeding does not come naturally and it can be a ton of work and mom's are not aware of that from the beginning so when it's hard or it doesn't magically happen they give up. I'm so glad that I was informed before giving birth so that I didn't give up right away.
I never heard that a c-section prevents milk from coming in. I had 3 c-sections and nursed all 3 times!

I do think that many moms don't have enough support to make it worth their effort emotionally. I know my MIL said multiple times that she couldn't wait until my babies were weaned so they would want someone other than me! She never nursed her kids. My mom and aunts did BF, so they were much more supportive. With my 3rd, I am so much more relaxed about it and it is what we do and I don't care if someone doesn't like it!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #194
roobug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&beast View Post
I never heard that a c-section prevents milk from coming in. I had 3 c-sections and nursed all 3 times!

I do think that many moms don't have enough support to make it worth their effort emotionally. I know my MIL said multiple times that she couldn't wait until my babies were weaned so they would want someone other than me! She never nursed her kids. My mom and aunts did BF, so they were much more supportive. With my 3rd, I am so much more relaxed about it and it is what we do and I don't care if someone doesn't like it!
I don't know about for singleton births, but many twin moms have said that their milk did not come in because of the c-section. I know that for me it took a lot of pumping and work to get my milk - so I don't know if it's the c-section or the toll of having twins that is the issue.

And I agree with the emotional support being so important, but I also know that at the beginning I felt pretty horrible because breast feeding did not happen naturally for us I thought I was doing something wrong - my babies would not latch on, and I couldn't figure it out. If not for the nurses at the hospital I would have given up. I think that many times we are lead to believe that breast feeding will come naturally that all babies will root, and will figure it out - which in my case was not true.

But that is a tangent from nursing at WDW sorry about that.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #195
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&beast View Post

The way it was explained to me, is that with a c-section, sometimes the body does not realize that it has had the baby yet so it can take longer for the milk to come in. DS11 (my first, DS14 is a step-son) was an emergency c-section. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and during that time the milk did not come in. We would try and try, but nothing. He latched on well and all the right things were happening, but the milk just did not come. He lost a lot of weight. I know that babies will often lose some weight, but he was losing a lot and quickly. The nurses that I had were wonderful and encouraging. What we ended up doing was having me nurse him and then DH would supplement with some formula so that he wouldn't lose any more weight. Anyway, the milk came in within the week and after that things were fine and he began to thrive and the formula was not necessary anymore. It was a bit scary at first and I can see how without the right encouragement and the self-determination how someone could give up thinking that would be best. Interestingly, I had a c-section with DD7 and the milk came in on Day 1. She was 9 lbs. 14 oz. at birth and didn't lose a single ounce! I had to nurse that girl so much that I actually started her on cereal at 2 months (with Dr's approval) so that I could have a little time without her attached to my breast.

And congrats to those of you who keep working at it. My kids and my brother's kids (DSIL nursed) were never sick as babies and are hardly ever sick years later. (Knock on wook, I'm superstitious LOL) and their other cousins seem to catch every little thing. I, for one, think it was the breast feeding that is a huge part of that. Your hard work now will pay you back later!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: