Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #166
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Oooh!! The babybonds is soo cool! I love that it has a built in burb cloth! Too bad it's so expensive. Why is everything designed to support and help breastfeeding moms so darn expensive?!

Maybe we should get some of the sewing moms to figure out to make them for us for cheaper?!

I wish I had started trying to NIP sooner. DD is having a hard time doing it anywhere but home and the nursing room at BRU. Anywhere unfamiliar is just too darn exciting. I might need to plan my trip around quiet out of the way nursing spots!
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #167
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
I wish I had started trying to NIP sooner. DD is having a hard time doing it anywhere but home and the nursing room at BRU. Anywhere unfamiliar is just too darn exciting. I might need to plan my trip around quiet out of the way nursing spots!
I did NIP with DD from the get go. With 2 older ones, it was necessary. Didn't matter. When she got to a certain age, she was much more interested in looking around than in nursing. So different from her brother! Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that it probably wouldn't have mattered if you tried NIP sooner. Some of these baby girls just need to know everything!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #168
pixxi
Mouseketeer

I have 4 children (one adopted) and I have only BF my now 3 month old. BF'ing never worked out with the other 2 kids. Anyway, since I have so many people who BF on here I need some advise. I am 5'2" and 190 lbs and I have larger breasts. If I put a nursing cover or blanket over him, I worry about my breast covering his nose. It's happened a few times without the cover when I was distracted for a minute. I have to hold his head with my one hand and use my other hand to keep my breast lowered. I also mentioned my height since I'm not that tall so I don't really have a lot of room between my chest and stomach. Therefore the baby doesn' have a lot of room. Then there is the process of laying him on my lap after BF so I can pull up the BF bra flap and replace the leak pad and then position my shirt. This is all while I'm trying to keep him on my lap (short legs) and not roll off. I'm just wondering if it's my size (breast, height, weight) that's giving me a problem or I just have no clue how to make it easier....help if you have any suggestions. Also, I pump at work and have to have both hands on the pump shield or milk will start to drip out the underside of the pump. Other people BF'ing are eating their lunch, reading a book...and here I am trying to keep all the milk in the bottle! I feel like I'm doing a half *** job at BF'ing.

We are going to Disney in 3 months and plan of BF but find it's going to be really hard. I know BF is great but it seems it would be easier not to BF.
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #169
MyFriendEeyoreUK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post
I feel like I'm doing a half *** job at BF'ing.

We are going to Disney in 3 months and plan of BF but find it's going to be really hard. I know BF is great but it seems it would be easier not to BF.
Please don't feel like that - you are doing it and that counts for everything!!

I think most mums struggle in some way - I know I did! For me, it was only time and practice that made a difference.

Have you tried feeding in a different position? I sometimes use a 'rugby ball' position where baby goes under your arm? Do you have any breastfeeding support workers where you are? In the UK we have 'Breastmates' in my area which is a mum and baby group with experienced breastfeeding mums and helpers who can see you 'in action' and help where necessary.

Sorry - don't know if that helps but well done for getting this far! If you do end up putting babes on the bottle, remember it's not the end of the world - as long as you stay sane!!

Laura
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #170
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
I have 4 children (one adopted) and I have only BF my now 3 month old. BF'ing never worked out with the other 2 kids. Anyway, since I have so many people who BF on here I need some advise. I am 5'2" and 190 lbs and I have larger breasts. If I put a nursing cover or blanket over him, I worry about my breast covering his nose. It's happened a few times without the cover when I was distracted for a minute. I have to hold his head with my one hand and use my other hand to keep my breast lowered. I also mentioned my height since I'm not that tall so I don't really have a lot of room between my chest and stomach. Therefore the baby doesn' have a lot of room. Then there is the process of laying him on my lap after BF so I can pull up the BF bra flap and replace the leak pad and then position my shirt. This is all while I'm trying to keep him on my lap (short legs) and not roll off. I'm just wondering if it's my size (breast, height, weight) that's giving me a problem or I just have no clue how to make it easier....help if you have any suggestions. Also, I pump at work and have to have both hands on the pump shield or milk will start to drip out the underside of the pump. Other people BF'ing are eating their lunch, reading a book...and here I am trying to keep all the milk in the bottle! I feel like I'm doing a half *** job at BF'ing.

It's practice! I also think the more you just chill out, the easier it becomes. lol. A baby can sense your fear. ;o) As far as your pump goes it sounds like you aren't getting a good enough suction. Is it a good pump? Make sure none of your surrounding clothes or bra get in the way of the shield.

And as far as your breast getting in the way of your baby, it happens to most of us. At 3 months old your baby isn't going to suffocate at your breast. If it smooshes his nose he'll back his head up. I usually just use one hand to hold my breast off her nose if the position we are in is getting it in her way.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #171
hippiemama76
Mouseketeer

Only had a second to pop in, but wanted to share an article on NIP that I read with my LLL group on Monday -

http://midshorelife.com/blog/cyndi/*...ural-disasters

****s, Babes and other Natural Disasters

Let's hear it for nursing mothers! We who bare all {grin} for the sake of our children! While my ta-tas are now retired from public domain (and insured by the post-nursing necessity of industrial strength ta-ta holders), I fondly remember the seven years of Godiva-ish freedom nursing provided.

I'm sure experts' question the transformation of shy girl guarding her budding bosom to relaxed Earth Mama, indifferently plopping her babe's dinner onto a table in a busy restaurant. Turns out there is a natural transition - although not all mamas experience all stages!

The Turtle: This one's easy to recognize - she's purchased the pastel tent that hides everything from the neck down, fiercely shouting to distant passer-bys "I'M NURSING BUT YOU WON'T SEE ANYTHING!" She might be found hiding in a rest room, perched uncomfortably on the handi-capped sink as she feeds her wee babe. The $35 Hooter-Hider (aka - tent with a view) is perfect for those in the Turtle stage!

Fortunately, by the time child #2 comes along, the turtle emerges and finds less bulky ways to care for her young!

The Model: Those nursing clothing catalogs are her best friend! The clothes may be expensive (trust me!) but she'll be perfectly coordinated in clothes designed for easy **** retrieval! Unfortunately, some designs work better than others, and many of us are left with $50 shirts that gape open in large vertical slits - giving "easy access" a whole new meaning!

The In-Your-Face Nurser: These are the ones who lay their ****s on the table and continue their meal! They hike up their shirts to neck level and let their child enjoy! I've always admired this type - although never had the audacity to emulate their actions. Mothers of multiples are almost always in-your-face - by necessity! There's just no such thing as modesty when wrestling with two or more! Given how much time I spent nursing singles, the commitment and will power of nursing multiples must NEVER be underestimated. Amazing women!

The Casual Nurser: Many moms (including myself) adapt naturally into this after experiencing the Turtle & Model phases. We learn that loose shirts worn easily over nursing bras (or bras that can be easily lifted) provide excellent protection and easy access. We opt for discretion - but aren't compulsive about it. We know a rambunctious baby will eventually bare our chest to interested onlookers - but deal with it.

The Angry Nurser: It's her time to change the world - and she's doing it - two ****s at a time! She stands up for the rights of nursing mothers by provoking argument and change. She's In-Your-Face - with attitude! Her indignation and arguments are ready - and she's just hoping someone will dare to condemn her. I wish she'd been around when a volunteer at the National Zoo told me I couldn't nurse in the gorilla building - I'd have to go to the bathroom. I just stared at her, and she eventually left me alone, but I dearly needed the angry nurser that day!

It doesn't matter what type of nursing mother you identify with - we all deal with similar issues. We've all had leaky ****s, saturating our shirts with sour-smelling milk. Some gals have such forceful let-down they squirt out several feet - always entertaining in public! We've had to fight with babies that refuse to latch on correctly, resulting in cranky babes and sore mothers!

Let's not forget those active nursing older babes & toddlers. Those creatures that latch on then proceed to do a back-flip over your shoulder - without letting go! We've lost sleep. flashed our in-laws and changed bra sizes almost daily!

But we know, without doubt, that the discomfort, time commitment, smelly shirts and droopy ****s are worth it! So let's hear it for those happy, lucky babes who know the comfort of a mother's breast!

Let's hear it for breastfeeding mothers!

Recent Trips - 12/08, 4/09, 12/09, 1/10, 2/10, 3/10 (x2), 4/10 (x2), 5/10 (x2)
Premium Annual Pass - expires 3/2011
hippiemama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #172
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1. BF is hard.... harder for some than others... but it's hard.... you have to be determined to do it and then be PATIENT with yourself as you navigate around all these really weird things LOL.

2. Big ****s are different than little ****s. You have to hold them differently than little ****s. I have big ****s and pumping for me was like an I love Lucy episode! ****s flailing all about, milk everywhere... If you can get some breast feeding books at the library with pictures of large breasted ladies nursing... and play around with what works for you. everyone nurses differently and you can't compare yourself to others. Sometimes you do need both hands.... and that is just the way it is.

3. Relax relax relax.... I always found that closing my eyes and visualizing the milk letting down and flowing into the pump helped. The rule for pumping is 'do whatever works' if you need both hands, if you need your shirt all the way off, if you need a glass of wine... do whatever it takes.... there really isn't a 'right way'.

4. Sometimes you can use a cloth to cover up and sometimes you can't. There is no rule that says you HAVE to lay a cloth over the kiddos face. And there is no rule that says you HAVE to NIP. I didn't with my first... I got really good at finding anything with a door LOL car, dressing room, broom closet... I NEVER learned how to nurse lying down...not for lack of trying though!

5. I know how you feel when you see other woman BF in a way that seems so effortless. I wished for that... but I didn't get it. Both of my boys were different, and I did get 'better' as time went on... but I never felt like I was this picture of coordinated mothering/nursing! I nursed both boys for a year. It was hard and messy but worth it. Everyone's experience is different.

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #173
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Quote:
I'm just wondering if it's my size (breast, height, weight) that's giving me a problem or I just have no clue how to make it easier....help if you have any suggestions. Also, I pump at work and have to have both hands on the pump shield or milk will start to drip out the underside of the pump. Other people BF'ing are eating their lunch, reading a book...and here I am trying to keep all the milk in the bottle! I feel like I'm doing a half *** job at BF'ing.
I can help with the pumping I think. What kind of pump do you use? Are the horns big enough? If you use a Medela Pump in Style they have larger horns, which it sounds like you may need.

I use a hands free pumping bra...it's this one though Amazon is out of stock. I've gotten them on ebay.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #174
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I had the Playtex Embrace double pump and it was fantastic. I think it is good for bigger ****s. It also seems easier to use sort of hands free. You might want to check it out!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #175
homeschool101
Mouseketeer

Yay for this thread! I SO enjoyed my many years of breastfeeding! I love to see young moms nursing at the parks! Just one more reason why its the "Happiest Place on Earth"!
homeschool101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #176
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I won't reiterate all of the advice that everyone else has given so far as it is all great advice. But know that it will get easier especially as your DS gets bigger and can support himself better. I don't even need a pillow anymore for my DS6months.
With respect to pumping, I HATE it! I need one hand on the shield and one on the pump and no way could I do double pumping, HA! And my breasts are quite small, probably in a B cup now, but still holding on to the C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
I love that babybonds cover, but it's so expensive. I can't figure out how to make one myself, so I'm out. lol
I found a solution today. I picked up a large floppy sun hat for myself in a clearance section for $2 and figure that when I am nursing my DS I can use my hat to cover him.

I saw some floppy hats in BabyGap today that would work the same way but they only had girl colours. They were less than half the price of the Babybonds but had a large enough brim to hide a modest chest.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #177
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

hi.
great thread. I am currently nursing my 5th, but she will be my first nursling at WDW. I have taken smaller scale, slower paced vacations with the other kids when they were nursing. She will be 10 months at our time of travel.

My trick is I wear a belly band that matches my shirt. I can lift my shirt to nurse, and you really can't tell because no skin exposed. I don't cover on top with anything unless its cold. I know just how to lay my shirt around her mouth on top. If I tried to cover her head, it would be a big time wrestling match. We are going in summer, and I am worried I will overheat with a band around my midsection. The other thing I am worried about is it is getting harder to nurse her while walking... the baby girl is getting big. My already weak back muscles are screaming. I might have to check out that ergo sling. It will be a learning curve for me cuz I have never used a sling before.

I am also concerned about her hydration down in Florida. My DD has chosen a life or "breast or none." She barely drinks expressed milk at the sitter when I work. I hope by the time she is 10 months old I can have her sipping from a straw so she gets some water sips as well as nursing when we are down there. I just don't want her to get behind on her fluids!

A PP mentioned how different her parenting style is from her sister. She mentioned co sleeping and how her sister has had the baby tucked away from day 1. This is my rationalizing..... we are supposedly the smartest mammals, yet all other mammals (that I know of anyway ) sleep with their young. Why do some humans separate from their young during sleep? To me its the most natural thing to keep her near me, and yes, its easier. With those 4 other kids, I need any sleep I can get!
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #178
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post

A PP mentioned how different her parenting style is from her sister. She mentioned co sleeping and how her sister has had the baby tucked away from day 1. This is my rationalizing..... we are supposedly the smartest mammals, yet all other mammals (that I know of anyway ) sleep with their young. Why do some humans separate from their young during sleep? To me its the most natural thing to keep her near me, and yes, its easier. With those 4 other kids, I need any sleep I can get!
Well said!

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #179
rparmfamily
In paradise

I haven't read the whole thread but thought I'd jump in!! I currently have a 12 mo old nursling and have nursed my other 2 as well. I don't cover up when I NIP, though I use a blanket under her just for more coverage of my waist,etc depending on what I'm wearing. And I'm a big proponent of NIP, as part of "normalizing" it in our culture and to hopefully encourage other moms to NIP. LOTS of moms nurse, just in cars, or dressing rooms, etc. We need to be seen.

Anyway,...haven't nursed at Disney in years, probably 6 yrs, so I don't remember any hints,etc. We might go to Disney next March, she'd be nearly 2 so I doubt she'd be nursing much at that point. (just the naps, bedtime type thing)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #180
rparmfamily
In paradise

Thought I'd share a pic of me NIP...this is at the beach. I have to say, having a nursing bathing suit helps SO much!! Nursing clothes really do help make NIP easier. I got my suit from Motherwear.com

I usually sit with my legs crossed (pretzel style) so that it raises her up high enough. Then with my 1 arm under her head I can bring her up, and sometimes I use the other hand to help with the latch, support,etc when she was smaller.

As you can see, I don't cover up at all. She HATES it (fights it) and it's just plain hot. I am using my sarong on my lap for a little coverage too.

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: