Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #136
hippiemama76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkersMama View Post
Anyone else toddler nursing? I am so over this, 26 mo old now. I'm not uncomfortable about it, I'm just soooo ready to be finished (and obviously she's not) and I've tried and tried and trieeeeeed to wean her. DS was so easy, he self-weaned at 15 mo with no effort at all.
I'm still nursing my almost 22 month old. I don't mind the daytime nursing, but the all night long buffet is killing me. I had to nightwean HippieGirl at 2 so that I could get my menstrual cycle back because we wanted to get PG with HippieBabe. Since HippieBabe is likely the last, I feel a little wanting to nightwean, but I am sooooo sleepy.

Quote:
This little chick is about to get some cold-turkey action.
Not sure if you're joking or not, but I definitely wouldn't recommend cold-turkey. It's hard on both baby and mama. For you, it would increase your chances of getting mastitis, and can really throw off your hormones, if you're sensitive to hormone fluctuation (I'm PCOS, so I am!). I've got some slow weaning tips though, if you're interested.

Recent Trips - 12/08, 4/09, 12/09, 1/10, 2/10, 3/10 (x2), 4/10 (x2), 5/10 (x2)
Premium Annual Pass - expires 3/2011
hippiemama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #137
cerilene
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I looked at those covers and it seems they are discontinuing them. The only sizes left were xs, s and 2x & 3X. I wonder how easy they would be to make?

I also cannot figure out nursing in a sling. I have a hotslings sling and just cannot do it. I did however pick up an Ergo Baby Carrier yesterday for our DS. I am so excited to use it and wonder if anyone has ever tried nursing in one of those?

I just now found this thread so you've probably already figured out the Ergo, but I nurse in mine all the time!! My DD is 16 months and still nursing. To nurse in the Ergo, just loosen the strap of the side your nursing and slip the strap off your shoulder. Position baby and go!

I'm so glad this thread is here. I love supporting and being supported by other bf moms.

We went to Disney in January for DD's 1st birthday. I don't really remember specific places that we nursed because I've been comfortably nursing in public since she was a few months old. Now for me, if she signs "milk", I pop a ****!! She did have a bit of a melt down while standing in line one time and so I nursed while waiting to meet the princesses. I don't think anyone care or if they did, I didn't notice.

I don't use a cover or any kind of tank. Although it was so DARN cold down there I should have added a tank just for extra warmth. DD has been cutting teeth lately so I've been doing a little more flashing than normal. Her latch is different and so milk is actually being pushed out a little around her mouth. I've been pushing my shirt up higher so it doesn't get wet therefore exposing the top of my breast. I think people are still oblivious.

For us nursing at WDW is no different than nursing here at home.

cerilene is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #138
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

If you are ever flying with your baby and you don't want anyone sitting next to you on the flight - just breast feed with out a cover up while everyone is boarding!

I found this out (by accident the first time) on a southwest flight. I don't know if it was the breast feeding or just the idea of sitting next to a baby. Whatever it was - I enjoyed the extra room!

BTW - I have nursed in CHURCH and never had anyone complain about the noise! That is just ridiculous.

And Then!!
rosedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #139
december
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
LOVE this thread, and I see a ton of familiar 'faces!'

We're taking DD in August, she'll be 13 months and won't be weaned.

Have any of you written trip reports? I started a PTR, but don't have much of a discussion going, it's a little one sided.
I need to start a trip report-we leave in 10 days!!!!! I may try in a few minutes.

I'm nursing Katie now. You'll notice a trend-the only computer time I get is when she is nursing! She loves it, and so do I. And not only does she slurp and smack, she makes little humming noises and other happy sounds. I think they are the sweetest sounds in the world!

***I started one Sarah! Link is in my sig.

Last edited by december; 05-22-2010 at 08:34 AM.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #140
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerilene View Post
For us nursing at WDW is no different than nursing here at home.
Except for the laptop, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedolph View Post
BTW - I have nursed in CHURCH and never had anyone complain about the noise! That is just ridiculous.
I was just in a, erm..., discussion with a lady on another message board who thought that all nursing mothers should nurse in the back pew or a private room in church because heaven forbid she have to sit behind that. I don't know about you ladies, but you'd never know I was nursing my child if you were sitting behind me. You'd probably have to look pretty closely if you were facing me. The conversation was... surreal.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #141
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ibis View Post
Except for the laptop, LOL!

I was just in a, erm..., discussion with a lady on another message board who thought that all nursing mothers should nurse in the back pew or a private room in church because heaven forbid she have to sit behind that. I don't know about you ladies, but you'd never know I was nursing my child if you were sitting behind me. You'd probably have to look pretty closely if you were facing me. The conversation was... surreal.
I am like you - I can nurse very discretely. Of course that came with a lot of practice.
I always nursed in church and I can't even count the number of times people would come to me wanting to hold the "sleeping" baby - they had NO idea I was nursing. I would never want to do anything to distract form a church service, wouldn't it be more distracting to get up and leave in the middle of the service?

And Then!!
rosedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #142
cerilene
Mouseketeer

I nurse DD in church almost every Sunday even though she's just nursed before we left the house. But like a pp said, DD knows I'm trapped when I sit down and it's really the only way to keep her quiet during the service. I can guarantee no body has a clue that that's what we're doing.

I had no support from my in-laws and they were so annoying with their comments that it just made me want to nurse more and longer. I'm striving to "normalize" breastfeeding and make it that much easier for when my daughter grows up and decides to bf her children!!

cerilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #143
MommaB
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Anyone else toddler nursing?

We are at 21 months and going strong! Though just this week we have started saving "noolkie" for rest. So naps, bedtime and very mellow snuggle moments. Frankly it is getting HOT down here in south TX and being uncomfortable was making it hard for me to love every nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedolph View Post
If you are ever flying with your baby and you don't want anyone sitting next to you on the flight - just breast feed with out a cover up while everyone is boarding!
Our DD has something like 35 flights under her belt and is a GREAT flier. But on Southwest I either nurse or let her stir herself up for those boarding moments. No one ever chooses to sit next to us, go figure! The second we taxi she nurses and clonks out or spends the trip sweetly chatting up the stewards over our empty row
MommaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #144
december
DIS Veteran

OMG-single digits! My trip is in 9 days!

I don't know if I posted this, but I'm more concerned about my sister than nursing in the parks. She (and the rest of my family-not dh though!) are very anti-nursing. None of them ever did it, and they just don't seem to understand! She and I are very different all the way around-my kids have all slept with me, pretty much make their own schedules, and we love our nursing time! She put her only son in his crib to cry it out from the first night home from the hospital. And she has always had him on a strict schedule. I've told her that in WDW, we are going to loosen up a bit!

She doesn't understand why I would still be nursing now that Katie is 1. And since we'll be in the same room, she is just going to have to get used to it!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #145
december
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerilene View Post
I nurse DD in church almost every Sunday even though she's just nursed before we left the house. But like a pp said, DD knows I'm trapped when I sit down and it's really the only way to keep her quiet during the service. I can guarantee no body has a clue that that's what we're doing.

I had no support from my in-laws and they were so annoying with their comments that it just made me want to nurse more and longer. I'm striving to "normalize" breastfeeding and make it that much easier for when my daughter grows up and decides to bf her children!!
This is me! But it isn't just my in-laws, it is my family, too. I don't know whay I wanted to nurse ds12, at 24 and with no family members who nursed. But I wanted to try, even though they kept telling me it wouldn't work, I would hate it, etc. My grandmother kept him the first 10 mos of his life while I worked, and she would throw out my milk and give him formula! I didn't know that until towards the end. I think the attitude from them is a big part of why I nursed 18 mos.

I intended to do the same with dd10, but almost died when she was 4 days old. I spent several days in ICU while my mil had my kids. And I had to go on powerful meds for several months. I had no choice but to wean her.

Part of the reason that I let dh talk me into another baby at my age (35 when pregnant, 36 when I had her) was that I wanted another chance to nurse a baby. And she loves it! (Yes, she is nursing now). I plan to make it to 18 mos with her as well. She has never had formula, and started refusing bottles at 10 mos. She gets milk in a sippy cup at daycare. After this week, I'm off for 9 wks (teacher) so she's going to get all the nursing time she wants!

I'm raising kids who think nursing is a normal healthy act. I don't hide when I nurse at home. And I've had students (high school) ask me about it. They all were curious earlier in the year about the bag that I carried to the bathroom twice a day! I matter of factly told them it was my pump, and honestly answered any questions they asked. I have 2 current students who are expecting this summer, and they have come to me with questions as well. I don't cross any lines with my info, but I also want everyone to know how wonderful it can be!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #146
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Anyone else toddler nursing? I am so over this, 26 mo old now. I'm not uncomfortable about it, I'm just soooo ready to be finished (and obviously she's not) and I've tried and tried and trieeeeeed to wean her. DS was so easy, he self-weaned at 15 mo with no effort at all.
Nursing a 2 and a half year old and a 9 month old. It has been the best experience of my life. They are SO close and he(my toddler) is SO sweet to her. But I too am ready for him to be done. I enjoy nursing him, but I only have DH's support and he is pressured by the world and so I am losing his support. But my toddler only nursing 1-2 times a day, even though he asks for it more like 6-8 times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemama76 View Post

I've got some slow weaning tips though, if you're interested.
Yes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post

I'm raising kids who think nursing is a normal healthy act. I don't hide when I nurse at home. And I've had students (high school) ask me about it. They all were curious earlier in the year about the bag that I carried to the bathroom twice a day! I matter of factly told them it was my pump, and honestly answered any questions they asked. I have 2 current students who are expecting this summer, and they have come to me with questions as well. I don't cross any lines with my info, but I also want everyone to know how wonderful it can be!
Yep, my boys think nursing is what everyone should do. One of them in particular is very sensitive to the things I do differently(cloth diaper, baby wearing, natural cleaning products) I hope he marries a sweet woman who has been raised similarly because if she tries to feed his baby "poison" (formula) he isn't gonna stand for that. lol.

My Ergo came yesterday. How in the world it came so quick, I do not know. lol. I have to say it's much more comfy than my mei tai(though I still prefer the mei tai for back carrys, which I don't do because I find it uncomfortable) but it's SOOOOOOOO huge and bulky. I might be too small for it. So I'm going to give it a try and use it on our trip and see if I love it, if not I'm returning it and getting a beco. But it was super simple to nurse in. LOVED it! The only thing visible was a little white and only if you were trying to look into the side of the hood. And Ellie loved it, especially nursing in it. She was peaking out the side of the hood watching everything go by while getting her milk on.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #147
Mlacks
L-I-V-I-N'

Just a little support!!!

I say good for you ladies!!!!! I only wish I could have breast fed my daughter longer than I did. I loved everything about it but for several different reasons we had to stop when she was just 4MONTHS old....I missed it so much for a long time. It is the most beautiful bonding experience in the world.

And for those against it.....HELLO, that's what they are there for!!!!!

Mlacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #148
averysmom
DIS Veteran

My nursing days are long past me - my oldest is 8 next month, and my youngest is 5 - but I nursed my first to 18 months, and my second to almost 30 months - and we nursed through many WDW holidays. I nursed through the parks, and yes, I did notice more "anti-nursing" looks and comments in the US than here in Canada, but not as bad as other areas in the US.

The more ppl who NIP, the more it becomes common place, and not "weird" or "wrong".

Keep it up ladies!

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #149
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
My grandmother kept him the first 10 mos of his life while I worked, and she would throw out my milk and give him formula! I didn't know that until towards the end.
Oh dear. ((hugs)) It's so hard to do all of that pumping. I would have been furious.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #150
december
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ibis View Post
Oh dear. ((hugs)) It's so hard to do all of that pumping. I would have been furious.
I was, but at that point there wasn't much I could do. She said she smelled it and tasted it and thought it was ruined. Ummmmm.....it wasn't meant for you!

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: