Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quiet Activities for 13 month old on plane

Looking for ideas for quiet toys/activities to entertain my 13 mo DD on our flight. We are going to have an IPad and headphones for her, as well as snacks, something to suck on for ear pain, changes of clothes for everyone, etc. I'm trying to think of other toys to bring that don't take up a lot of room, are quiet, and won't roll away. She LOVES books, so we will bring some new ones she has never seen before. Maybe some Little People? Foam stacking blocks? Any ideas would be welcomed. And in case it helps anyone with suggestions, she likes toys for the 1.5-2 year old category. She gets very bored with toys for 12 months and under.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Candy was always wonderful on the plane!

We did lollipops since they last long and some kind of fruity snack but I would break that one fruit snack into 4 pieces so it really would last!

A few years ago I got my dd a book that you use the special marker and as she colored the page would come to life. Sort of like color wonder markers but it was just the one marker. Those things are usually in book stores on the spiny rack.

I spy books that are easy enough for her-or even on the iPad.

Heck, I have gone thru the airline magazine with each of my kids on the plane and have done the ispy with that.

Download some games on the iPad too.

How about the sewing activities for little kids and they sew with a shoe lace?
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

I work with this age group on a daily basis, and I use an activity that occupies this toddlers for a very long time. Grab an empty frosting container, or similar size with a plastic lid. Cut a slit in the top so it looks like a bank. Buy some colorful, assorted shape BIG buttons. Voala! You have a Button Bank. While your little one puts the buttons in, and take them out, you can talk about color, shape, etc. It works!

Next trip .... 10/9/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendies View Post
I work with this age group on a daily basis, and I use an activity that occupies this toddlers for a very long time. Grab an empty frosting container, or similar size with a plastic lid. Cut a slit in the top so it looks like a bank. Buy some colorful, assorted shape BIG buttons. Voala! You have a Button Bank. While your little one puts the buttons in, and take them out, you can talk about color, shape, etc. It works!
I love that idea, but I know DD would want to rattle the container and I don't want to drive out fellow passengers nuts. We are currently in the "everything is a percussion instrument" phase.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

I'd much rather hear a little rattling sound than the sound of an unhappy toddler! But that's just me! I hope you have a fun~filled trip!!

Next trip .... 10/9/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendies View Post
I'd much rather hear a little rattling sound than the sound of an unhappy toddler! But that's just me! I hope you have a fun~filled trip!!
Lol. Good to know. We are trying to be as respectful to fellow passengers as possible. Maybe if I line the container with fabric or cotton...
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Stickers! They can stick them on paper you bring or on themselves and you! Babies also love masking tape. Transferring it from one finger to the next takes up a lot of time! Pipe cleaners they can twist and form are fun. Crayola magic mold clay is great. It does not crumb or mess like play dough and can be mashed and formed into balls or whatever. Also crayola color wonder markers are soooo fun and no mess at all. All of these assuming you are aware of choking hazards and won't take your eyes off of her. Also use finger foods as fun too. Animal crackers, gold fish, teddy grahams can be fun to tell stories and sing about as you line them up and eat them. mini m&m can be sorted and then eaten. Toddler gummy snacks are also fun food.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

I agree on the stickers! Especially when ascending and descending when you can't use the iPad.

October 2013- Animal Kingdom Kidana
November 2013 - Daytrips (Food & Wine, AK)
December 2013- Embassy Suites
January 2014- Coco Key
February 2014 - Polynesian
April 2014 - AoA
May 2014- Downtown Doubletree
May 2014 - Loyalty Vacation Homes
Labor Day Weekend 2014- Saratoga Springs
December 2014 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
MissVeronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Maggie at the Fort
Mouseketeer

When I flew with a 15 month old we did lots of stickers. I also took a small sized magna doodle. That was a big hit and we still keep them in the car for entertainment at home. Good luck!
Maggie at the Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
chuss
Earning My Ears

Our family very rarely watches TV/movies with the exceptions of long car rides and any plane trip. If they want to watch videos/movies the entire time, great! Happy kids= happy parents = happy fellow passengers stuck in that skinny, uncomfortable tube for hours. It's not the time to worry about teaching the kids their ABCs. And with the new rules about small electronic devices being ok even during takeoff and landing, even better.

That being said, I think you have a great list going of other items if the videos/games get boring!
chuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
lucyddr
Working for vacations!

We are taking a tablet and headphones as well as a Nintendo DS for our 19 month old twins in a couple of weeks. They don't understand games yet, but they love buttons!

You also might look at the bin section at the entrance to Target. I found some little sticker/crayon/book packs for $1. We bought several. I figure they will love opening the package, exploring the contents, sticking stickers in the book and on themselves, and then scribbling! Cheap and disposable!

Too many trips to WDW as a couple to count!
Disney Magic, September 2005 (First cruise to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay)
Carnival Miracle, August 2006 (Honeymoon cruise to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize)
Carnival Destiny, May 2007 (30th Birthday cruise to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua)
Disney Magic, May 2009 (Key Lime Pie-Rates Cruise to Key West, Grand Cayman, Nassau, and Castaway Cay)
Carnival Victory, April 2011 (Easter cruise to the Southern Caribbean)
lucyddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuss View Post
Our family very rarely watches TV/movies with the exceptions of long car rides and any plane trip. If they want to watch videos/movies the entire time, great! Happy kids= happy parents = happy fellow passengers stuck in that skinny, uncomfortable tube for hours. It's not the time to worry about teaching the kids their ABCs. And with the new rules about small electronic devices being ok even during takeoff and landing, even better.
I've got to agree with chuss; our family is the same way! DS is almost 16 months and we've taken two long road trips (one was two days of driving each way, ugh) in the past month. I mostly kept DS entertained with videos I had downloaded onto my Kindle Fire. I had different shows so that if he got bored with one, I could switch to another. Then I would give him my phone and play youtube videos when that stopped working. Kids are also sometimes entertained by regular objects you wouldn't think of. He spent quite some time trying on my sunglasses and playing with the extra set of car keys, and he also enjoyed crinkling my water bottle (it might be a bit noisy on the plane, though). I think you will be fine if you just have some objects to hand her and a bunch of videos loaded on your ipad/phone.
Planning DS's First Trip December 2016!
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

My DD isn't interested in watching tv or movies, so we had a heap of stuff lined up for our flights, however she spent most of the time on the plane taking the lid off her bottle and putting it back on again.

How long is your flight? Snacks are always popular, plus she enjoyed walking up and down the aisle for a bit.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Dollar Store - Dollar Store - Dollar store

They have crayons, little Disney figures, Little barbie doll types, New coloring books, plush toys, foam blocks... etc etc

AND - they will ALL be new! Don't let her see any of them before you get onto the plane (and pack a few in your suitcase for the return flight)

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

I used to keep my two DS's entertained for a long time with post-it notes in different colors/sizes! They could stick them anywhere and pull them off....window, seat, tray, parents, siblings... Quick and easy clean up, and easy to pack.

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever. ~ Walt Disney

Me DH DS DS DD

Last edited by Neesy228; 08-04-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: