Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

My DS's ALL time favorite when he was 3 was 101 Dalmations (the orginal animated). Perfect cuteness and a perfect villain, not too scary, just mean!
Another vote for Aristocats too.
The characters in these movies are just so lovable!
We love Robin Hood, but it always seems longer than others.

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
brenalexacamp
DIS Veteran

101 Dalmations
Lady and the Tramp
Fox and the Hound
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White
Aristocats
Boardwalk-Down Syndrome Convention July 2010
Saratoga Springs February 2010 New DVC!!
Boardwalk May 2008
POR August 2007
Fort Wilderness April 2004
Disneyland August 2002
offsite February 2000
offsite October 1998
Honeymoon offsite November 1988
me, DS 21
DS 18, DD 17
brenalexacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
heather_sue_98
Mouseketeer

I'd stay away from Dumbo and Bambi actually. Those two scared me when I was little because the mom is taken away or dies in the movie. That's also why my DD4 has never seen the first scene in Nemo.

I second The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins. Both are good old fashioned fun!

Good luck!
heather_sue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
connorsmom911
DIS Veteran

I'll just add my 2 cents...

My older DS never really liked watching TV when he was little. I didn't force it on him, nor did I keep him away from it, just tried to steer it towards educational stuff, or things I watched when I was little. I liked Bear in the Big Blue House, but he would only ever sit through the opening song. I tried classic Disney movies with no luck. He just didn't care to sit still that long.

Then one day when he was around 2 or so, I popped in Toy Story and he was mesmerized!! Stuck to the tv like glue for almost the full movie!! Success!! This coming from a parent who couldn't get a single thing done, like laundry, dishes, shower, etc. because my ds was a mischeivous little thing that I couldn't take my eyes off of!

From there he would try other movies, but only if it was the Pixar animated ones, not classic. That lasted a few years before he would finally venture down the classic animation road. And the rest is history...and a bookshelf full of Disney movies!!

Now my younger DS? He'll only watch Thomas the Train. No Disney to speak of.

Life in Six Words..."Making My Own Happily Ever After"
connorsmom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
NorseStar
Earning My Ears

101 Dalmations, Aristocats and Sword in the Stone.
NorseStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
Cooky
Mouseketeer

Last edited by Cooky; 06-02-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Cooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
startrekkie
Mouseketeer

Talking

I love Robin Hood it's so cute and very funny I like Phil Harris as Little John and Prince John or shall I call him the phony king of England ha ha.
startrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #23
Smokering
Earning My Ears

I'd avoid Peter Pan - lots of violence.

If he's had very little screen time and still thinks the mere concept of animation is uber-cool, it might be neat to show him an edited version of Fantasia. A few of the sequences are too dark/scary (the dinosaurs one and the witches on the mountain one), but the other ones are extremely gentle, fairly slow-paced, but cute and engaging. A kid who was used to more TV might find it really boring, but this kid just might like it, and it'd be neat to have him appreciate it before he was used to more fast-paced fare, you know? It's also an introduction to Mickey. I liked Fantasia as a not-very-media-savvy kid, and Mum fast-forwarded the scary sequences. The dancing mushrooms, hippos and centaurs are still pretty neat!
Smokering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
MissChris
Mouseketeer

Several of the movies suggested are great but my dd still found them scary as a preschooler. In several, The Fox and the Hound, Dumbo, Bambi, and Nemo the Mother is killed or removed very early on which many little children find very upsetting and confusing. The Fox and the Hound also features a hunting theme that goes on throughout the movie and a pretty scary attack scene with a bear(? I think...)

My daughter absolutely loved Lady and the Tramp and Pooh Bear at around that age. Lady and the Tramp has a couple of scary scenes, a dog fight and a scene with a rat in the house which the Tramp then kills. Pooh Bear has no scary or distressing scenes. I also really like Robin Hood for that age group. I know it isn't "old school", but my daughter also really enjoyed Cars. The greater plot points may have gone over her head but the movie is visually arresting with lots of great songs and fun racing scenes and no upsetting or scary content whatsoever. It is long though, just fyi. I also have a soft place in my heart for Pocahontas which has beautiful old fashioned hand drawn animation and some lovely songs. The central conflict is about respect for one another and for the earth. It gets overlooked but its very nice.

We also got a couple of DVDS of old Disney shorts and we would sometimes watch just one or two little cartoons, they mostly run under 20 minutes and each DVD has a selection of different kinds of movies. For example one DVD might have some of the old goofy cartoons, on one we have "The brave little tailor" which is very cute with Mickey Mouse, maybe a Donald duck cartoon, etc... Also, Silly Symphony cartoons are a series of sweet shorts set to classical music themes. You can youtube some of those which makes them super easy too.

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #25
Tangled
I hope this movie is worth it. I already changed my disboard account just cuz of it. I was surprised it wasn't taken yet...

I can't tell you the ones that are the most gentle, but I can tell you the ones that are the least
#1. Pinocchio (I might have actually spelt that right)- Smoking, alcohol, gambling, bad messages
#2. The Princess and the Frog- Scary for little kids. I saw this on the opening night and during the voodoo scenes
I heard loads of kids screaming. Some "racism" (had to say that cause I had no idea what else to say,) that once happened in history that kids might not understand.
#3. Snow White-A true Disney classic, but scares little kids in some scenes.
For gentle movies, I recommend Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and all Pixar movies.

Last edited by Tangled; 06-20-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Forgotten Word
Tangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #26
sljmbll
Earning My Ears

Robin Hood
Lady and the Tramp
Aristocats
sljmbll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: