Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #91
Sammie
DIS Veteran

There is absolutely no way Disney can prevent everything natural from happening.

Preventing snakes from being on Disney property would be as hard as preventing a hurricane.

I am just glad the OP has shared her story I am simply amazed at the number of people that do not realize that snakes, bugs, and alligators are the norm for Florida.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #92
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

A black bear was spotted in May at OKW. We saw another black racer at the South Point pool at OKW last week.

And I agree with Sammie.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #93
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. What a great way to celebrate how brave and strong he was through that ordeal.

I was watching a "Where are they now" Bridezilla show and while they were filming one of the women they found a snake in the pool of her FL home. Anytime I see a snake I think of your son, and that made me wonder how he was doing. Thank you again for the update.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #94
dixiegirl
sorry but those dolls really creep me out!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the details. It's very easy at WDW to forget that there are things to always be on the lookout for - especially in Florida. If nothing else, it's a great reminder. I am very happy to know that your son was okay after this awful bite.

POR Annual Oct trips 10/96-10/13
Next trip - 10/17/14-10/25/14 POR
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #95
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

We had a "visitor" outside our balcony at OKW in May, 2010. It wasn't poisonous but it wasn't welcome either. We had been feeding the ducks and birds each morning and then this guy appeared - probably hoping to get fed himself.

It wasn't a problem for us but as others have said, just be aware of your surroundings. Wherever there is lush, tropical flora, there will ALWAYS be snakes...WDW is no exception.

There are more pics of our trip at the link below.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek - BCV-Oct13 (TR In Progress)
Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey - Aulani-Sep12
Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
OKW; May2010; DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #96
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your story, glad your son is okay now. It's something I will be reminding my family about this vacation. On previous vacations the only wild animals we saw were, squirals, rabbits, deer, lizards . You do forget about the other wild things hiding.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #97
Beckypooh1972
Mouseketeer

Wow! We are planning a move to Florida next year. This thread is a reminder that there is dangerous wildlife in Florida. We'll take this into account when looking for a place to live:

Need a fence to keep out the alligators
Need simple landscaping to keep from attracting the snakes. There goes the idea of a big backyard (who wants to mow all that grass on the weekend anyway when we can always spend our weekends at the parks.) A 3rd floor condo is looking better all the time...

Great story to keep sharing!

Thanks
9/2000 CBR 9/2001,1/2002, 9/2002 off property 9/2003, 5/2005, 9/2005, 6/2006 off property with family and/or friends
9/2008 Pop - our first trip with our kids 5/2009 POR - anniversary celebration
12/2009 Pop - our first Christmas time trip
Beckypooh1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #98
Naisy68
DIS Veteran

I really appreciate you reposting this story. I didn't catch it last year. I cringe just thinking about the areas where we have had our kids pose for pics. In the flowers, by the bushes and greenery. I would never have consisdered something like this occuring at Disney. I will definitely keep all this in mind on our trip coming up in September. We are staying at CBR. Truth be told, when I first read it, I seriously considered changing our ressies but I know that there is a chance of this anywhere in Florida so we will stick to our original plans.
Also, I enjoyed the pics, what a brave young man. I cannot even imagine going through this with someone in my family. Wow! My hubby is notorious for following the geckos around and looking for the local "wildlife." He's going to be a lot more careful from now on.
2008 -CSR & The Poly / 2009 - SSR
2010 - CBR - great time!!
Naisy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #99
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

I am so glad your brave little man is fine. We were just at CBR May 23-30 and I would have been scared to death if I had read your story before we went. I live in Alabama so I am very aware that snakes can be anywhere, but I would not have thought they would be in such a heavy traffic area. I was concerned walking along the water front path to the main pool and food court, but I did not think about it in the parking lot area.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3261767 Hey save some of that, it has to last us a week.....March 22-March 28th, 2014 Trip Report

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
racefanof88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #100
kjs1976
Thanks for the magic, Walt!

Thank you for reposting. I live in MN and although I know these types of hazards exist in southern states, I've never thought of them as being an issue at WDW! I have a DD who is 2.5 and I could see her darting off into the bushes or being the first to notice a snake somewhere and wanting to go up to it. We saw a huge, yes, like the size of DH's hand, under the steps at POFQ two years ago. I should post the pics and see if anyone knows what kind it is. Anyway, people were always stopping to look at it. We saw it each day as we had to go around that corner to get to the busses. Maybe it was poinonous too! Always good to keep an eye out!
2X Disney Land
5 B-Days spent in WDW and 1 in DL!
kjs1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #101
bored
Mouseketeer

I've never saw a snake on our property until Sunday afternoon. We've lived here for 20+ years. They are always around you might just not see them so be careful. At least I got to use my new shotgun for the first time!
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #102
goodferry
DIS Veteran

I am so glad your DS was OK and sorry that he had to go through what he did, and thank you for reposting this story. It is easy to forget that you are in the real world at Disney, this is a good reminder!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #103
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Glad your son is ok and thank you for reposting.

I don't know if Florida has them, but Texas has black snakes. Now I am as afraid of snakes as the next person ( really! ) but I would not kill a black snake ( I would run like heck from it.)

Black snakes are non-posionious and they kill copperheads and other posinious snakes. I was very upset when my neighbor killed the black snake in our firewood stack. The snake even had a baby copperhead in it's mouth. Now I have to worry about even more about copperheads.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #104
megan926
DIS Veteran

Glad to know your son is doing well.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I explained it (best I could) to my DD4. And she was very cautious on our last trip to stay away from the grassy areas. Your story helped a lot!

Thanks!
Disney trips: Too many to count
Last trip: June 2011 @ POFQ
Next trip: Girls only @ GF

megan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #105
disneysuncat
Cat of the Sun

I have read the story when you posted it before, and now. It still gives me shivers. I am so glad that your precious son made it through that ordeal! I cannot imagine the horror that your family went through, and my heart goes out to you.

I absolutely love his "revenge" photos! What a great sense of humor!

I live in Kentucky, where there are many snakes. Once we found a baby Copperhead in the garage at my Mom's old house. It was so small, it had actually gotten stuck on a bunch of duct tape that had been on some shipping boxes. I screamed bloody murder and ran out in the yard while my mother disposed of it. (and this was just a a few years ago.) If I saw a snake at Disney, I'd lose it so badly that they'd probably hear me back here in Kentucky.

Again, I am so glad that your son is okay, and thank you for telling your story. I know that we will be more vigilant when we return to Disney.

disneysuncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: