Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #76
triplejen
DIS Veteran

Wow - thank you so much for posting this. We'll be staying at CBR in a couple of months. It NEVER would have occurred to me to worry about snakes. And my younger son is the type to run ahead, and think nothing of retrieving a lost item in the shrubbery. Honestly, until this thread the only worry I would have had with him retrieving a lost item in the bushes would be him accidentally damaging the landscaping. Thanks for getting my head straight!

August 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
August 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter

February 2012 - Hard Rock Hotel (Universal only - shhhhh!)
August 2011 - Beach Club
March 2011 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
December 2010 - Polynesian (MVMCP)
August 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort / Beach Club
February 2010 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
August 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort
triplejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #77
roxy72
Mouseketeer

Aw, your poor son! He's so stinkin' cute too. I'm sorry that this happened to him. Thank goodness he is okay!
roxy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #78
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Not true, though that's a common perception. A cottonmouth isn't going to strike unless it feels threatened. It doesn't go looking for trouble. It will try to retreat. But as with any snake, if you surprise it, it will strike as a defense. One thing you never do when hiking here in KY is step over a log without first waving a stick or something similar on the other side. Lots of copperhead bites come from people startling them. Same with cottonmouths. Just don't want people getting the idea that cottonmouths are lying in wait next to sidewalks and in landscaping. Be careful, but not paranoid.
That has not been my personal experience with cottonmouths, we have had them chase us, with us in a boat and try to get in the boat. That is pretty aggressive to me.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #79
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Snake Bite anniversary celebration

[/IMG]

A friend made this cake to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of my son's snake bite. We weren't celebrating the bite, but that fact that he is alive. I think he wanted his "revenge" on the cake.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #80
mickey family
Mouseketeer

[/IMG]

He looks a bit more sinister in this picture. I'm sure people in the restaurant thought we were crazy.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #81
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
That has not been my personal experience with cottonmouths, we have had them chase us, with us in a boat and try to get in the boat. That is pretty aggressive to me.

Agreed. Maybe we have militant cottonmouths around this part of Florida...
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #82
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Love the pics!! I'm glad he survived the ordeal with his sense of humor intact.

Seriously though, it's wonderful to see him doing so well after such a horrible experience.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #83
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

thanks for posting, we were aware of the dangers of water amoeba and also of gators in Florida but would never have thought snakes were such a problem. I dread to think what I may have allowed my children to walk through near our rooms that could have been a danger.

Now racking my brain about all the dangers - day or night, where is most likely etc.......off to do some research.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #84
MusiqChic99
Love means going out to eat so that your husband won't have to cook.

Thankfully we have never seen a snake. We stay at POR mostly but have stayed at CBR.

At POR in October we saw frogs by the dozens! Even had one sitting on the door handle of our hotel room ...not sure how the fellow got there, can they jump that high? My son was in a stroller when we were walking but i would have never even considered a snake being a problem.

Thanks for the useful information. It's always good to be alert to your surroundings. I think of all the kids out skipping down the pathways excited to catch a bus! I hope these stories are few and far between.

Sooooo happy your son is well. That's something to celebrate!
MusiqChic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #85
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

O.m.g.I am so sorry that happened to your son. and to you. That must have been one scary time. Thank you for sharing

We are staying at Poly and I will have my eyes PEELED for snakes. They sure can be hidden anywhere
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qclo93tkqequauum.png[/img][/link]
think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #86
It's A Small World
Mouseketeer

Yikes!

Glad to hear your son is A OK!

We stayed at the Poly May 12-18. There was a huge...I'm talking 4 foot long snake sunning himself on the beach. The staff brought in a snake wragler and got rid of it. Keep your eyes wide when on the Poly beach. We saw quite a few water snakes too.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #87
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

Its a small world. Now I will be having nightmares. Did you ummm happen to get pics? Of the resort of course!
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qclo93tkqequauum.png[/img][/link]
think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #88
happycamps
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to hear he is okay and glad to be reminded to watch out for snakes there.
We were waiting for a parade at AK when a snake came through the shrubs. Everyone was sitting on the rocks on the side of the parade route - I won't sit on the ground again at the AK.
happycamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #89
toonaspie
Just a poser

I'm probably beating a dead horse with this but these are my thoughts:

Having read both threads thoroughly I'm still standing by my personal belief that Disney should've covered the hospital bill, given the exact account of the situation and the photo evidence in the first post.

People can argue that venomous snakes are nature and that this is technically their turf etc etc. I can understand if this were to occur in let's say a construction area or a grassy knoll off the road inside of WDW because those aren't areas where guests are expected to be around (or should mingle anyway). Inside of a resort where hundreds of people will be walking about, it's a whole different story.

And people can argue that the OP didnt watch her child despite the fact that he only reached his arm into the landscape and didn't take one foot off the sidewalk. But this was landscaping that is manicured and tended to by cast members, not some natural shrubbery that is left there to grow. The landscape was created and placed there to be part of the resort and guest experience (see the mulch in the OP pic) and is therefore supervised by the landscaping or resort people. Otherwise there would just be a bunch of mixed up trees and tall grass.

An animal that can cause deadly harm to people has no place in an area like that where there is a high expected exposure of people. I'm sure the resort people ensure that dangerous/venomous animals do not step foot in an area like that because that snake could've easily slipped into one of the rooms. They wouldn't just let the crocodiles escape from the water and run around the parks. I'm not saying they should've been sued for all their worth but if other guests are getting full coverage by Disney for falling on a sidewalk while you have to pay full price to save your son's life because of something that happened within a tended-to resort like that, I consider that a ripoff.

I don't mind if Disney wanted to hide something like that from the media but if all I got out of rare life-threatening situation to my child in WDW was a resort switch, I personally would've felt insulted.

Anyone is free to disagree with me but this is my honest opinion on this.

Last edited by toonaspie; 06-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
toonaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #90
cab0ad
DIS Veteran

Firstly, thank goodness your son is okay. That is a blessing!

I'm kinda surprised Disney didn't offer more either. Did they at least prolong your vacation for free to make up for the days you had to spend in the hospital? I thought they would at least do that.

That being said, the important thing is your DS is thriving today and well!

cab0ad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: