Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #136
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Wow! Your poor little guy! I'm glad he's okay. But, it was really very nice of you to post your story, so that others can really be more aware of their surroundings.
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #137
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Very glad to hear that he recovered so well ... scary stuff indeed.

SSB's younger brother was clearing brush in SC and all of a sudden saw a 6 foot diamond back rattler poised to strike ... bit him in the back of the knee. He was luckily with another who eventually got him to location for airlift to city hospital. His leg was the size of a watermelon and had over 40 viles of antivenom used on him while in IC for a week. They are dangerous creatures, for sure.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #138
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
It was actually IN the room!?!? EEEK! I would have freaked! How does a snake get inside the room? Do they fit under the door? Or is it when housekeeping is cleaning and might leave the door open?
if it's the one I'm thinking about, yes it was in the room at Contemporary....my husband and I were talking about it last night and he said someone probably took it to the room? I also remember one at a DVC in the room where the washer and dryer are
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #139
SeptDisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warning! No reaching into the bushes for us!
SeptDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #140
kmgindele
Mom22Princesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
Thanks again to everyone for your concern and well wishes. He loves seeing this thread and the various posts. His older sister has told him he is a "legend"

Disneysuncat, where in Ky do you live? We are from Northern KY, just about 12 miles south of Cincy. It's a small world after all.........
Mickeyfamily, We live in Northern Ky too (in Independence). It truly is a small world!!! I don't know about you, but at least in our part of town, we typically only see garter and black snakes - nothing poisonous! How scary to think of something like this happening at Disney. I would have never thought about it before reading this! I have a 2 and a 3 year old and cannot imagine either of them having to endure something like that. How scary!
Off-site March 2009
CSR February 2010
CSR (adults only) September 2010
BWV - Nov 2011
kmgindele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #141
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgindele View Post
Mickeyfamily, We live in Northern Ky too (in Independence). It truly is a small world!!! I don't know about you, but at least in our part of town, we typically only see garter and black snakes - nothing poisonous! How scary to think of something like this happening at Disney. I would have never thought about it before reading this! I have a 2 and a 3 year old and cannot imagine either of them having to endure something like that. How scary!
Kmgindele, we are in Burlington, not far from you at all. The week after we got back from Disney, we saw 3 snakes in our backyard. We have never seen a snake in our yard before. My poor DS thought they were after him.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #142
battricia
From the home of the Peeps and the Crayon
Willing to wait for Papa John's
Hooked on DOOL

i think disney should invest in some mongoose.
battricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #143
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

We're going to CBR in 3 weeks, so I appreciate the warning/reminder to be careful. I don't know if I should mention this this to DW or not. She may get so nervous every time we're walking around, we'll need the ambulance for her. I have to admit I'm a total wimp myself when it comes to these things (snakes, spiders, etc.) - mostly due to my unfamiliarity with them. Living in NYC, the only snakes we have are the lawyers and bankers.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #144
CSHaydt
Mouseketeer

OMG - i have to say this thread captivated me... i have to say i'm concerned... we are staying at Fort Wilderness... has anyone heard of stuff there.. i'm thinking that would be worst then CBR?

Also... please please please tell me that Disney did good by your son? i read about the stuffed snake... that's cute but please tell me they made the rest of his vacation extra special??? ( I didn't read that anywhere)
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #145
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHaydt View Post
OMG - i have to say this thread captivated me... i have to say i'm concerned... we are staying at Fort Wilderness... has anyone heard of stuff there.. i'm thinking that would be worst then CBR?

Also... please please please tell me that Disney did good by your son? i read about the stuffed snake... that's cute but please tell me they made the rest of his vacation extra special??? ( I didn't read that anywhere)
We bought the snake ourselves and asked the waiter to bring it out. They did upgrade us to AKL for the remainder of our stay. Disney arranged a couple of private character meetings and he was in one of the Star Wars parades. It quickly became a very low key visit. One of the side effects was that he was very tired, all the time. We could only do the parks for a few hours and then he would completely give out. He actually stayed that way for about 2 months, sleeping about 14 hours a night and taking naps in the day. There was a lot we were not able to do, so we hope to go back in a couple of years. He still has stiffness in his fingers and had a really bad nightmare just last night about snakes. He is a real trooper. When I think of how it could have turned out, we are very blessed indeed. Again thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #146
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
We're going to CBR in 3 weeks, so I appreciate the warning/reminder to be careful. I don't know if I should mention this this to DW or not. She may get so nervous every time we're walking around, we'll need the ambulance for her. I have to admit I'm a total wimp myself when it comes to these things (snakes, spiders, etc.) - mostly due to my unfamiliarity with them. Living in NYC, the only snakes we have are the lawyers and bankers.
Your wife sounds a lot like me! LOL. But I think you should at least mention it so she is aware. That way if she happens to drop something near a bush she will be more careful.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #147
Princess Amy
Fit for a Princess! <3

First off, I have to say I am glad your son is doing well. What an ordeal you had to go thru on your vacation. Nobody anticipates something like that happening. It seems he was well taken care of and it is good to hear that.

Second, we are staying at CBR in 8 days and I have to say I am freaked out now
Nov '14 CSR, Oct/Nov '13 CBR, Nov '12 Disney Dream and Pop, March '12 CBR, Sept/Oct '11 POFQ, August '10 CBR, Dec '09 Universal/Disney, June '09 POR, Sept '08 Pop, Dec '07 AKL/CSR, Oct '06 CBR, Mar '06 offsite, Dec '04 ASMo, Sept '01 ASMo, Apr '00 ASMo, Apr '98 Poly, Nov '97 WL, Nov '96 Poly, Aug '95 WL, Mar '92 Poly, Mar '91 Poly, Mar '88 CR, Nov '87 Poly, Nov '86 Poly

Princess Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #148
thebigkahuna
DIS Veteran

I am so glad your son is ok! That had to be so scary for your family. Could not be more pleased that thanks to your posting more people will be aware. I'm sorry if took such a horrible situation for more people to be aware of the danger.

the picture below looks like it's of an Anhinga, more commonly called a snake bird (and rightfully so, it looks like a snake rising up out of the water!) They are very common in Florida. (in fact, in most of the southern states)
snake-bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post

[/IMG]
I saw 2 water moccasin in the lake the day we moved to another resort.

thebigkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #149
Lyon_King
Mouseketeer

When we were at CSR two years ago, there was a black cottonmouth water moccasin in the bushes next to the steps leading to the slide at the pool. It came out onto the stairs and the guard called animal control. The slide was shut down for about an hour while they waited for animal control to arrive and then search for it in the wooded area next to the slide.
And no, they didn't find it...
Lyon_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #150
lovingtigger123
Earning My Ears

So wishing I had not gotten on the computer this morning and read this. I HATE snakes!!
lovingtigger123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: