Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Do you visit "those other parks"?

As a DVC member, I had some extra points so I decided to bring some of our friends down who can't normally afford something like Disney. With us covering the hotel with our points, they could afford to bring their kids to the parks.

However, they started to plan only MK and Epcot and wanted to visit the U place instead of HS and Aquatica instead of Typhoon Lagoon!

I probably shouldn't have let it bother me - after all, they wanted to see Harry Potter world. But as a disney purist, I took a frown upon going to those other places (although I tried to hide it), and I didn't go with them.

So I am just curious - how do you all feel about "those other places"? Okay or Stay Away? (In my defense, I have actually been to them several times, but the most recent was still about 6 or 7 years ago, and I really didn't enjoy it as much as Disney. So it's not out of ignorance that I speak, but personal preferance).
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy View Post
As a DVC member, I had some extra points so I decided to bring some of our friends down who can't normally afford something like Disney. With us covering the hotel with our points, they could afford to bring their kids to the parks.

However, they started to plan only MK and Epcot and wanted to visit the U place instead of HS and Aquatica instead of Typhoon Lagoon!

I probably shouldn't have let it bother me - after all, they wanted to see Harry Potter world. But as a disney purist, I took a frown upon going to those other places (although I tried to hide it), and I didn't go with them.

So I am just curious - how do you all feel about "those other places"? Okay or Stay Away? (In my defense, I have actually been to them several times, but the most recent was still about 6 or 7 years ago, and I really didn't enjoy it as much as Disney. So it's not out of ignorance that I speak, but personal preferance).
Universal is terrific, but not everyone appreciates it. Go to the Uni part of these boards for some awesome help:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I'm going to Universal for the first time in August.
Nothing wrong with liking both.

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

I went t universal last summer. Mainly for WWOHP....I haven't been there n maybe 20 years.
It was dirty and unkept.

Maybe if you have teenagers who love thrill rides...it's not for me .

Plus when you are purchasing Disney passes for just a few bucks more you could have extra days in Wdw.

I would like to take another trip and do sea world and discovery cove. I don't see the need for my small family to return to U anytime soon.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

We gave it a try in '06. We had one day tickets that let us see both sides, IoA and the studio. I thought it was great. Will they ever win me over from WDW, no. Did I think some of the theming gave WDW a run for it's money, yes. Spider Man, I'm sorry folks, is way above and beyond any of the simulator rides at WDW.
The studio is very spread out, but you can tell they were short on land for IoA. It felt very claustrophobic to me.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
HolidayRose
Mouseketeer

We usually go 10 days and split our time between Disney and Universal. We love them both!
HolidayRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Universal is terrific, but not everyone appreciates it. Go to the Uni part of these boards for some awesome help:
Help? I don't need any help to prefer Disney! I managed that all on my own!

Or were you implying there is something wrong with me? (Not that I disagree with that statment, but I don't think my choice in theme parks is amoung my top issues).
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
krayzmelmel
Mouseketeer

We bought an annual pass for when Harry Potter opened... of course we also have disney APs as well... we like disney better because of the theming and its cleaner, but we are equal opportunity park theme park lovers!

Most of my friends have BG and uni/ioa passes, but one of my die hard universal pass holding friends bought a Disney AP this year so im happy :-D

Also, students get $29 aquatica passes... so im excited because my husband has never been, and he's all about the fish!

Next Trip: Hopefully Tomorrow!
All my Disney experiences ~ PRICELESS :-D

krayzmelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy

Or were you implying there is something wrong with me? (Not that I disagree with that statment, but I don't think my choice in theme parks is amoung my top issues).
What? I think MesaBoy was just providing you with the location of good UO info. You did post this thread looking for opinions....right? You'll get lots of UO opinions from very nice people over on the UO/IOA board.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
mesaboy2

Quote:

Help, as in Universal-knowledgeable people willing to help you with Universal questions? That kind of help. I am truly perplexed by this response.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

Ui have to admit... Spider man and Harry potter are amazing ....
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2

Help, as in Universal-knowledgeable people willing to help you with Universal questions? That kind of help. I am truly perplexed by this response.
I have a feeling OP was really looking for a "we hate Universal, long live Disney" response.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have any questions about Universal. I know all about Universal.

I am just curious on if others who are Disney fans go to both Disney and Universal or if they prefer to only go to Disney.

I would assume if I asked the question on the Universal boards, they would all tell me they go. That's not what I was asking. :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
mesaboy2

Quote:
Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have any questions about Universal. I know all about Universal.

I am just curious on if others who are Disney fans go to both Disney and Universal or if they prefer to only go to Disney.

I would assume if I asked the question on the Universal boards, they would all tell me they go. That's not what I was asking. :-)
And this particular board will obviously lean Disney, and heavily so. But there are plenty who like both and visit both and I have been one of them. The only reason I am not still is because I cannot justify the cost regularly.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy

So, to answer that...I haven't gone yet (was waiting for DD to get taller), but will go after Disney in August.
I think either way is fine...all Disney....all Universal, or both. What I don't really get is being upset at someone else's choice.
I do get the Disney loyalty...I feel it myself....to a point.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: