Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
cooniez
Mouseketeer

Fellow night owls - please give me some tips...

on how to get your butt out of bed in the morning when you're at DL? DD has been taking later naps/later bedtime ever since she got a really bad ear/eye infection & cold almost a month ago. I've tried to get her to take naps earlier, but nothing works. Just wondering, for those like me whose bedtime is 2-3am (or later)...how do you last through the day (esp. during MM) when you're at DL? I just can't imagine sleeping at 4 am only to wake up at 5:30am to be at DL at 6:30am!
cooniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
DmaxHawk
Watcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooniez View Post
on how to get your butt out of bed in the morning when you're at DL? DD has been taking later naps/later bedtime ever since she got a really bad ear/eye infection & cold almost a month ago. I've tried to get her to take naps earlier, but nothing works. Just wondering, for those like me whose bedtime is 2-3am (or later)...how do you last through the day (esp. during MM) when you're at DL? I just can't imagine sleeping at 4 am only to wake up at 5:30am to be at DL at 6:30am!
To me, caffeine or any other energy supplement won't be the same as getting a good night's sleep. I would do away with going to bed at 2 or 3, get to sleep earlier. We had to get up at 5:30 also to get in line for Magic Morning. We did the park and went back to the hotel room around 10am, when the crowds started to get there, to rest up and sometimes a nap.

Maybe if you're at home start "training." Go to bed 10 minutes earlier each night until you have reached a point where you got enough sleep. DL is no fun if you don't have the energy to enjoy it.

Grand Californian Super Thread
Anything you need to know about the GCH can be found here...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2396588

DmaxHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

The motivation should be the knowledge that if you arrive at DLR around 11am, you will have missed the best time in the park with short lines.

I agree, start adjusting now to make it easier. During the summer, our whole family is off. We are both teachers so we tend to start going to bed later and later and sleeping in longer and longer. When we have to get ready for DLR or for school to start again we start getting up a little earlier than we would have. This makes you tired earlier that night. If I try to just go to bed earlier, I end up laying there for a long time and not sleeping. So I have to start with making myself get up earlier.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Or just skip the mornings. I am going to DL with 12 teenagers. As you know teenager's bodies are not meant to up in the am. We will be the last ones in the park and the last ones out of the park. We will use fast passes and whatever we have to, even waiting in long lines but there is not point in fighting mother nature, she will always win.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Or just skip the mornings. I am going to DL with 12 teenagers. As you know teenager's bodies are not meant to up in the am. We will be the last ones in the park and the last ones out of the park. We will use fast passes and whatever we have to, even waiting in long lines but there is not point in fighting mother nature, she will always win.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Mister Toad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I say just tough it out. Whenever I go (given I don't usually have the time for long trips) I am there from open to close (8am-Midnight). I just tough it out for a few days, but I can operate on 6 hours sleep no problem. My opinion it probably totally invalid since I don't have the added issue of kids though.

How does your daughter like Nyquil?
Hong Kong Disneyland - January 2012
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - February 2012
Mister Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

How old is your DD? Could you just not put her down for a nap so she'll be tired for an early bed time? If she does need a nap, you could try waking her up after an hour (or maybe even earlier if you think that might work) so she's not taking a really long sleep during the day.

Besides that, I agree with what others said. Make yourself get up early now and start going to bed a little earlier every night so you'll be ready. You don't have to be there at park opening but it is SO worth it because the lines are so short the first few hours.
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieNM View Post
Well, my two 16 year old boys will fight mother nature and anything else that would keep them from getting to DLR first thing in the morning so they can ride Splash Mountain over and over and over and over before the crowds come!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
cooniez
Mouseketeer

DD is 2 yrs. old. I've tried getting her to nap earlier, but it's not working so far. We've tried skipping the nap altogether (when it's 8pm & she STILL hasn't napped), but then if she falls asleep at 11pm she will just wake up at 3am....so basically it just ended up being a REALLY late nap!

I can definitely wake up if need be, but I'm not one to drink energy drinks/coffee/tea (just don't like the taste of all 3) to stay awake. And again, nothing can replace sleep as pp said! DD has taken to a different pattern these last couples of days where she's taken her nap earlier (say 5 pm, a GOOD thing), but then she'll still sleep around 4am and then she'll wake up at 10am!! I don't think my body can take any more of this!
cooniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

IMO the quickest and safest way to get a child's sleep/wake cycle back on track is with melatonin. It is more commonly used than you think. It is extremely effective and commonly used in helping the sleep patterns of autistic, ADD and brain injured children. If you have any concerns discuss them with your GP We have used it as has our kids. It is commonly used to help with jetlag
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
kailuagirl
DIS Veteran

I feel your concerns! I had them last June. My DD2 is a night owl and late sleeper, and we came from a 3 hour time difference earlier, so it made it even more difficult to wake up early.

But trust me, try to figure it out. We didn't get to the park before 10 at all (park opened at 8), didn't even get to use our MM. It was packed when we got there everyday. The last day we were able to go early and oh my, what a difference in the crowd level. DH and I were so sad and upset that we didn't do something more about waking up earlier, we couldn't believe the difference (even though you all told me otherwise). But we just couldn't get there early. We stayed until closing everyday since at closing it was only like 10p at home. We thought the shorter lines late were great, until we saw early morning. Never again! I'm planning our next trip for Nov. and I'm already thinking how I'm going to get her on a difference schedule so we don't miss out again.

Good luck, you'll figure something out. Just know your options
kailuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag n' fly View Post
IMO the quickest and safest way to get a child's sleep/wake cycle back on track is with melatonin. It is more commonly used than you think. It is extremely effective and commonly used in helping the sleep patterns of autistic, ADD and brain injured children. If you have any concerns discuss them with your GP We have used it as has our kids. It is commonly used to help with jetlag

I haven't tried melatonin with DS- didn't even think to use it with kids. I'll have to do some research on it.

However, I do give it to my DH and trust me when I say it works! Knocks my football linebacker sized hubby on his rear! And all within 30-60 mins after taking just one pill! I must confess to sometimes slipping it in his nightly vitamin cocktail just so I can get a good night's sleep as well.

I've tried taking it and it doesn't work for me, not sure why?? I also read that it wasn't good for those who have heart conditions, so I stopped taking it altogether. But I love it for DH!

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

My vote is to do enough days so short lines don't really matter. If you have 5 day passes it becomes irrelevant to haul yourself out of bed in the am. Arrive in time for an early lunch each day, and close the parks down.
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
spacemermaid
DIS Veteran

Fellow nite owl/insomniac chiming in here...

Seconding the advice to spread your time in the Park over several days if possible. I've not stayed onsite in ages (we're talking since the early 90s) so Magic Mornings aren't an issue, but I've found that even if I only got a couple of hours sleep the night before, I'm able to haul myself out of bed to be at the Park for rope drop powered by sheer excitement alone After a few hours, though, it's back to the hotel for a long nap and a swim (if the weather permits) and / or some time in the hot tub. It works out perfectly because I get some much needed rest along with the bonus of being away from the Park when it's busiest and, depending on the time of year, hottest. After the nap and swim I'm ready to head back to the Park and stay til closing...

Lifelong Disney fan!
spacemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Leofoenget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Could you NOT go to bed stay up do the mornings and then crash for a long nap around noon to 5 then stay until the park closes? I go to bed late 1-2 and I'm pretty ok getting up at 7. Here's a thought go to bed earlier

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: