Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #1231
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy5648 View Post
OK so I know this really isnt a packing tip and more of just a "while you are there tip". DH and I are from Maine. Even in the winter it gets REALLY hot for us...after all we are used to wearing a snowsuit year round We stayed at pop the first year it opened and have been doing this ever since the CM tipped us off to this idea. The A/C units have a sensor that senses motion. So when we would walk into our room it was REALLY hot. He told us next time we were at a park right before we leave purchase a balloon. If you tie it to the room chair and have it in the middle of the room where the fan blows it will set off the motion sensor and keep moving which will keep the room nice a cool It worked!!! and now whenever we go I always pick up a cheap balloon and our room is always nice and cool
My inner hippie cries at the wasted energy, my inner "OMG IT'S SO FLIPPING HOT!" whiner says "Ooooh, good idea!"

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #1232
Mama Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy13 View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips. We have 17 days to go so excited and worried about the long drive there LOL
I just saw this and had to chuckle. We are also in Missouri and planning to leave on the 18th. And SO nervous about the drive there. Ugh. Such a long drive!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #1233
Christy13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Mouse View Post
I just saw this and had to chuckle. We are also in Missouri and planning to leave on the 18th. And SO nervous about the drive there. Ugh. Such a long drive!
We are very worried about the drive too. My husband can't go because of work so me and the kids are going with my parents. My kids are 16, 13, 8, and 5. My sister is going to and she's 14. So it could be a very bad drive down there and back lol. My dad is going to drive through the night so we are hoping they will sleep a lot of the way there. Can't wait to go even with the horrible drive lol
Christy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #1234
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney2013Girl View Post
My inner hippie cries at the wasted energy, my inner "OMG IT'S SO FLIPPING HOT!" whiner says "Ooooh, good idea!"
I'm just amazed that she found a cheap balloon! I thought they cost about $10.00 in MK.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1235
WXgal
Earning My Ears

Disney Packing List

I all! I thought I would share a packing list we get together in the weeks before going to Disney. It is a list of 22 things you might have never thought to bring!

Hope it helps!
Go here to see the whole list - and there's a printable version as well. (Just paste the link into your browser)

latteandlegos.com/latte-stuff-for-you/disney_packing_list/

Stephanie

Last edited by WXgal; 05-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.
WXgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #1236
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Smile Not So Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Mouse View Post
I'm so jealous - we don't leave until December.

We also drive from Missouri. It's not really that bad. The key is to stop more often than you have to (you know, for potty breaks or food) and stretch a bit. Of coarse, we all usually take the chance to use the RR too...so there are very few emergency stops for full bladders lol...We like to stop at Truck Stops, or stations with Mini-Marts. The restrooms are usually clean, and we can poke around the store while waiting our turn.

My DH will not have his coffee at breakfast - this ensures a break fairly early in the day for his coffee...usually a McDonlads Coffee...and sometimes I pick up a cold OJ for me. Sometimes, (when the weather is nice) I'll just sit at one of the outside tables to wait for the others.

At one such stop, my older kids once picked up a really old fashioned car Bingo game (you remember the ones - where you had to find things along the road like a pig or a railroad crossing?) No one ever yelled "Bingo" but they spent a great deal of the trip trying to find a tractor or a windmill and making fun of all the pictures. By the end of the trip, they had come up with alternative items to substitute for the most outdated ones (ie a cell phone tower for a windmill). They bring it every trip and now they try to find more "oldie" games at all our "just because" stops. After all what kid doesn't love to make fun of the Old Days.

The only rule is "keep it short". I know it seems like a waste of good road time, but it really doesn't take that long, and makes the trip easier on everyone.

Relax and enjoy..... Have a great trip!!!!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #1237
WXgal
Earning My Ears

22 oddball items to pack for Disney

Hi! I have a list of 22 oddball items we packed for our trip. You can see it here:
www {dot} latteandlegos {dot} com

Hope it helps!
Stephanie
WXgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #1238
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

This might not be that weird, but I pack color coded trash bags for dirty clothes. That way when I get home, I can dump my whites, darks, etc right in the wash. More neurotic than weird I guess.

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #1239
refinnej
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontears View Post

At one such stop, my older kids once picked up a really old fashioned car Bingo game (you remember the ones - where you had to find things along the road like a pig or a railroad crossing?) No one ever yelled "Bingo" but they spent a great deal of the trip trying to find a tractor or a windmill and making fun of all the pictures. By the end of the trip, they had come up with alternative items to substitute for the most outdated ones (ie a cell phone tower for a windmill). They bring it every trip and now they try to find more "oldie" games at all our "just because" stops. After all what kid doesn't love to make fun of the Old Days.
We have these from the 70s and I keep them in my car just because. My son keeps asking me what a Cola sign is.

Family Trips:
WDW Boardwalk July 2003 - DLR May 2010 - DLR May 2012 - WDW Swan March 2013 - WDW Swan November 2013
refinnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1240
DisneyMom73
Earning My Ears

Great ideas! I'm still working my way through this thread & have been inspired to finally join Pinterest as a way to keep track of ideas, lol! We are going in Oct as a celebratory family vacation after I finish grad school, so as much as I love the Disney planning my brain is mush at the moment.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I plan on making blank memory books for all 3 kids (w/ photo pages & plenty of pockets). They can decorate the cover & pages on the drive down, then will have a place to keep all the little 'souvenirs' they pick up around the campground & the parks. After the trip, they'll have a place to put pictures they took on the trip as well

DisneyMom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1241
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXgal View Post
Hi! I have a list of 22 oddball items we packed for our trip. You can see it here:
www {dot} latteandlegos {dot} com

Hope it helps!
Stephanie
Why don't you just post your ideas here?
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1242
momofEAP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontears View Post
The reason you should try to find pre 1982 pennies is due to the metal content. In 1982 the mint started using a zink core covered with copper for pennies (zink is cheaper). When pressed, the zink bleeds through and can cause streaks.

We start checking our change about 3 months before the trip. That way we can pick out the cleanest to use. When the teller at my bank realized what we were doing, she sold us rolls of old pennies to go through and would buy them back when we were through picking them over. (We replaced any pennies we could use with newer ones.) Try asking at your bank.

Happy Pressing
I am still trying to get through the thread...(only 15+ pages to go!!) but this one caught my eye. My DD did a science experiment at school. They found that katchup did the same thing as the vinegar. Just in case you are already at WDW and can't find anything but katchup.

Now back to reading...
momofEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1243
momofEAP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocahontasLookALike View Post
Being DVC, I ALWAYS do laundry when visiting. Even when it's just DH and I, every night before showering, I'd throw a load in the washer in the room (sooooo nice). Then right before getting in bed, I toss it in the dryer. REALLY helps cut down on overpacking. At least for me.

And honestly, unpacking once you get home is the worst. I would much rather come home and put away a suitcase full of clean clothes, opposed to knowing that I had loads of laundry ahead of me.

That's just me though
I couldn't agree with you more! For me it makes the vacation feel a little longer!
momofEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #1244
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

I'm going to shamelessly use this post to do a victory dance of actually finishing all 83 pages of this thread.

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #1245
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Machines in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocahontasLookALike View Post
Being DVC, I ALWAYS do laundry when visiting. Even when it's just DH and I, every night before showering, I'd throw a load in the washer in the room (sooooo nice). Then right before getting in bed, I toss it in the dryer. REALLY helps cut down on overpacking. At least for me.

And honestly, unpacking once you get home is the worst. I would much rather come home and put away a suitcase full of clean clothes, opposed to knowing that I had loads of laundry ahead of me.

That's just me though
I might consider doing laundry at Disney too if there were machines in the room. But our deluxe hotel only has machines in separate laundry rooms. **sigh** Oh well...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: